• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

andtucholski

Neo Member
Today I bought the official charging station for the dualshock 4, any problem leaving the pads always connected there when I don't use them? Someone said is bad for the batteries to be always charging...I thought that I'm 2014 this kind of issues were already solved...

Exactly - I remember the Great Switch from batteries that needed full depletion before charging to the batteries that can be charged anytime without major losses. But what about constant charging?

I wonder if Sony tried to figure that out. When I'm home I'm often playing games with my pad connected, long cable can be a blessing, but I don't like the idea that it's hurting the battery lify.

ParityBit

I think I might have already told you this, but I have the same exact one and you do need a power adapter to get it to work with the PS4. For most anything else, passive is fine. In your case, it sounds like you have a defective item. You should get it replaced.

Okay, I ordered a new one, and have the "Defective" one going back to Amazon. I hope this is the issue. Such a pain having 3 HDMI devices and 2 ports on my TV. I blame my stupid receiver for not having HDMI! Yes ... it's old.

Knight77

Today I bought the official charging station for the dualshock 4, any problem leaving the pads always connected there when I don't use them? Someone said is bad for the batteries to be always charging...I thought that I'm 2014 this kind of issues were already solved...

I tried to find the answer online but got different results... anyone here has the right answer? :-D

Shinjiru

So, made some PS4 avatar badges for the community. I can't actually remember if I've seen PS avy badges on GAF before, so thought I'd make some.

They come in two sizes, and all 4 corners.

Regular size:

ps4-badge-med-bldvulr.png
ps4-badge-med-brt7uz9.png
ps4-badge-med-tlbnu0k.png
ps4-badge-med-trpmuxv.png

Smaller size:

ps4-badge-small-tlf5uq2.png
ps4-badge-small-trjrugb.png
ps4-badge-small-blhyuzu.png
ps4-badge-small-brnkusu.png

Examples:

ps4-badge-demo-baconss7uh5.png
ps4-badge-demo-stalli27u84.png
ps4-badge-demo-yadojkud5.png

Have fun :) If Amir0x wasn't banned I might have suggested linking here in the OP, haha.

For anyone without an image editing app, the online Pixlr image editor is decent. Open both your avatar and the badge from URLs or files then Ctrl+A to select all, and copy/paste the badge on top of your avatar. Easy as anything.
Thanks for this.

thenexus6

So I need some help understanding the share button

I missed a really good kill on BF4 because I did it wrong, I double pressed the home button thinking it record the last 15 seconds of gaming but it didn't (is that the xbox one?) so I totally missed the kill instead i'm leave with gameplay directly after my cool kill, thus useless..

Is there any way of catching a moment that just happens or went by? Also I keep getting loads of game records from when i'm playing games, if you press the share button it automatically records all your gameplay right?

mattp

So I need some help understanding the share button

I missed a really good kill on BF4 because I did it wrong, I double pressed the home button thinking it record the last 15 seconds of gaming but it didn't (is that the xbox one?) so I totally missed the kill instead i'm leave with gameplay directly after my cool kill, thus useless..

Is there any way of catching a moment that just happens or went by? Also I keep getting loads of game records from when i'm playing games, if you press the share button it automatically records all your gameplay right?

hit the share button once and if you go to share video, it should have a file of the previous 15 minutes of video. you can trim it down to just find the moment you wanted to share

thenexus6

hit the share button once and if you go to share video, it should have a file of the previous 15 minutes of video. you can trim it down to just find the moment you wanted to share

I thought that but as I pressed right after my cool moment, it missed it and recorded 15 minutes after

don't think flash is coming. although its strange since it was somewhat supported in Ps3 browser no?

if only you could change the user agent for the browser. lotta sites like gametrailers seem to support HTML5 but only load those versions of the pages when mobile OS browsers like Android and iOS are accessing the sites.

PS3 allows almost every web browser based video player. PS4 can't even run regular YouTube.
Also can't even save pictures on PS4.

Jburton

Banned
Well just a final word in this thread before it goes in to the archive .......... it's been emotional.

Looking forward to 2014 for some great games.

Newlove

I think the only thing I'm dissapointed in, other than that shitty earpiece, is the lack of any Youtube support or flash support in general for the web browser. I really hope both are somewhere down the pipeline. That and Tales of Zestria are the only things keeping my PS3 hooked up to my TV at the moment.

For now you can use the YouTube TV website, it works flawlessly.

Iacobellis

My brother's PS4 is acting up. The system looks like it is off, but the fan is clearly spinning. Nothing comes up on the TV and powering it on via the power button or controller doesn't work.

What do I do?

So, made some PS4 avatar badges for the community. I can't actually remember if I've seen PS avy badges on GAF before, so thought I'd make some.

They come in two sizes, and all 4 corners.

Regular size:

ps4-badge-med-bldvulr.png
ps4-badge-med-brt7uz9.png
ps4-badge-med-tlbnu0k.png
ps4-badge-med-trpmuxv.png

Smaller size:

ps4-badge-small-tlf5uq2.png
ps4-badge-small-trjrugb.png
ps4-badge-small-blhyuzu.png
ps4-badge-small-brnkusu.png

Examples:

ps4-badge-demo-baconss7uh5.png
ps4-badge-demo-stalli27u84.png
ps4-badge-demo-yadojkud5.png

Have fun :) If Amir0x wasn't banned I might have suggested linking here in the OP, haha.

For anyone without an image editing app, the online Pixlr image editor is decent. Open both your avatar and the badge from URLs or files then Ctrl+A to select all, and copy/paste the badge on top of your avatar. Easy as anything.

Thanks.

After all the hype and this thread, I finally have enough money for a PS4 but im seriously considering getting a Zelda 3DS instead and waiting until next month to get my PS4 :(

VanWinkle

After all the hype and this thread, I finally have enough money for a PS4 but im seriously considering getting a Zelda 3DS instead and waiting until next month to get my PS4 :(

If you'd only be waiting for a month, you might as well. There's way more to play on a 3DS right now than PS4. Just wait a month for PS4.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I thought that but as I pressed right after my cool moment, it missed it and recorded 15 minutes after

Single click, double click and long hold all do different things. If you hold down share you go into sharing options where you can set what combination does what.

If you double clicked as you said, then that takes begins a 15 minute video from that spot. Which is what it sounds like happened.

Krisprolls

Banned
This needs to happen very soon as I am sick of that cheap ear piece and refuse to spend money on other peripherals.

I don't understand. My Pulse works perfectly while being wired to the DS4. Mic works too. So yes I'm waiting for the wireless driver, but it already works somewhat.

For now you can use the YouTube TV website, it works flawlessly.

Yeah I've actually been checking that out, and I think it may actually run a little better than the PS3 app lol. It's a lot less laggy in the inputs and generally just scrolling the menus. The downside though is you can't link it to a phone or laptop to making searching easier. I still would prefer a dedicated app though. Then I could bounce between youtube and whatever game I'm playing if need be.

thenexus6

Single click, double click and long hold all do different things. If you hold down share you go into sharing options where you can set what combination does what.

If you double clicked as you said, then that takes begins a 15 minute video from that spot. Which is what it sounds like happened.

So it can't do the record what just happened like the xbox one then? Okay now I know, bit of a bummer really

oggob

Since Feb it's been quite the year for Sony and the PlayStation, I get the feeling when they finally debrief the lead up and the launch they will be very happy and perhaps consider it the best they've ever had.

Whilst I wasn't a Day 1 buyer, more like Day 7 as I waited for my bundle upgrade, overall I'm happy with the console, no issues and even though it is weird seeing how much more the PS3 currently does in functionality. I do like a bunch of the smaller changes the extra grunt the PS4 allows for and what the PS4 will eventually become.

Looking forward to what 2014 brings, hopefully that includes The Order!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So it can't do the record what just happened like the xbox one then? Okay now I know, bit of a bummer really
It auto records a rolling last 15 minutes of gameplay.
By default the share controls are:
Single tap: share menu + screenshot of that moment
Long tap: screenshot
Double tap: starts a new video recording from that moment

Sometimes it bugs and doesn't auto record the rolling 15 minutes when you start playing, you're mostly able to fix this by pressing the share button once when you begin playing, then it works properly after that.

TomShoe

Banned
This was a great thread and a great launch for a great console.

We should have a contest. Whoever gets the last post when the thread is archived wins a Playstation

Gaz_RB

Man the hype for this thing in the months leading up was crazy. So glad to finally own it and be a part of it all.
I'm not playing it as much as I was in the first few weeks, but that's to be expected. Looking forward to the new games coming.

bombshell

Yes, it can. The PS4 always keeps a rolling window of your last 15 minutes of gameplay. Single press the Share button to save those last 15 minutes, or trim it down to whatever part of it you want. But you said you double pressed the Share button, which starts a manual recording from that point on.

Replicant

Huh? I've done this with Resogun. I finally managed to do the crazy 15x multiplier trophy on Decima in Veteran mode. So I pressed the button ONCE and entered the share area to see the footage. You kind of need to do this for the footage to be left in the HD and not got erased.

What I got is a long-ass footage spanning from 2-3 attempts ago BEFORE the footage that I want is finally there. I don't think people realizes that 15 minutes is a long-ass time and immediately assume that they didn't get the footage that they want. I'd recommend checking the video thoroughly right to the end. I saw all of my failed attempts and restarts before it finally got to the good part that I wanted. So...I trim out the failed/restarting parts and just upload the good part. He he he.

Top Bottom