• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP battery life official (R.I.P) kidding

neptunes

Are you all crazy!

Don't you guys remember? Nintendo release a slightly bigger battery pack

and it was only available online.

Jarrod (the gba freak) knows what I speak of is the truth.

(by the way this is the 1st game thread that broke 2 pages)

jarrod

Banned
Hard to make out but...

PGS-008-1.jpg

...there's clearly 2 different GBA SP batteries from Nintendo, one 600 mAH and one 1000 mAH. You're welcome. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, I have the SP battery in my hand right now, the same battery that comes with the SP. It's 600 mAh. Neptunez posted a pic with a 1000 so there is a 18 hour battery. Well that settles it, now let's go back on topic :p

john tv

I'm gonna be a prick about this and keep on going:

If neptune's pic is real, why is it hosted on his own webspace? Where is the original image from?

I argue because if this is real, I want one. But nowhere on NOA or NCL's site does it make any mention of any kind of alternative battery pack for the SP. Answers, people, I want answers!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks good to me. I don't really care about the graphics on portables though. I dont know why but I'm just against having 3d graphics on a portable. I still want my 2D gaming dammit!

oh boy is this gonna turn out to be a graphics war? :p

john tv said:
I'm gonna be a prick about this and keep on going:

If neptune's pic is real, why is it hosted on his own webspace? Where is the original image from?

I argue because if this is real, I want one. But nowhere on NOA or NCL's site does it make any mention of any kind of alternative battery pack for the SP. Answers, people, I want answers!!

Stop being so willy nilly.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?ca...27&PHPSESSID=0fdf24f420361310406f241146ac9583
http://www.intensity-magazine.com/news/799
http://www.ninty.net/article25.html

Trying to find sources like IGN or GameSpot about the announcement. But can't seem to find any.

Bebpo

Banned
neptunes said:
is this not good enough graphics for you?

DS graphics are great, especially considering all the features you are getting for what will likely be a very reasonable price.

It's like saying you can get a cheap car that's 5/5 stars at a great price. Everyone will be happy getting it, but if a much nicer car is sitting beside it at 5-10x the price, then there are some people who would rather get the nicer one even if they have to make more of a sacrifice from their wallet.

Takuan

Two-three hours of battery life is pretty ugly, but I've almost never taken a portable with me outdoors. I did most of my mini-gaming in bed or on the shitter. Still though, that's a huge turn-off for people who want their gaming on the go.

Bebpo

Banned
Takuan said:
Two-three hours of battery life is pretty ugly, but I've almost never taken a portable with me outdoors. I did most of my mini-gaming in bed or on the shitter. Still though, that's a huge turn-off for people who want their gaming on the go.

Though if you assume that the majority of GBA buyers in Japan use them while on the trains/subways, then the travel time to work/school probably wouldn't exceed 3 hours round trip. Then if they want they could plug the system each night and take it again in the morning.

Despite this being mainly based on my guesses about how GBAs are used in Japanese society. The point I'm trying to make is that a greater than 3 hour battery life would be good enough for what it's mainly used for and would not be a huge turn off at least in Japan.

tenchir

Big turn off for me. I almost never charge my GBASP daily(let alone weekly). Hell, my PocketPC and cell phone is always nearly drain before I charge it(which is like every 3-4 days).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The thing that I like about the GBA SP is that I don't need to worry about recharging the battery everyday. Usually I can play my SP for a hour or two a day and recharge it at the end of the week. The recharge rate isn't that long either, only about 3 hours or less.

How about if they bundle the PSP with 2 battery packs? Or at least sell battery packs in stores and make it easy for the gamer to change battery packs instead of carrying around a screw driver. That way, you could have 1 fully charged battery as backup

snaildog

2-3 hours is way too short for me. I've taken the SP on 7 hour bus/car trips; that's when it gets the most playtime. Camping too.

Not that I think it'll matter for the casuals - I'm sure the graphics will be enough for them. I'm personally way more excited at what sort of puzzle/adventure games they can come up with for DS.

Honestly, I would like to know how it's going to do wi-fi for these games that are 2-3 hours. Or hell, even the ones that may give double that. The DS is 10 hours, and uh wi-fi is going to cut that down significantly, so I'm curious how developers are going to handle that., it'll be hard getting multiplayer fun without long wi-fi matches or any means of wireless multiplayer.

And meh, I'd take the DS over the PSP anyday (in terms of relation of battery life and graphics). While majority of the time I am playing at home... I don't like cords, I don't ever use the ac adapter for my GBA SP at home except to charge. Having to always play near an ourlet is like days before the SP where I HAD to play by a lamp. I like playing outdoors, and I play my SP for well over 2-3 hours at a time. 2-3 hours for any type of game is absolutely silly to me. I want high end graphics as much as anyone else, but meh I also want to play for hours on end, especially with multiplayer. I don't see the PSP offering very long multiplayer fun.

When I saw all the accessories that "made sense" as well, I was saddened. It was like the days when you needed to get items for your GB, a light, a battery pack, game link, etc. Pfft, the only thing I've ever had to buy for my SP was a game link for obvious reasons. The PSP is going to need that battery pack, it's going to need either that keyboard or the head set for wi-fi communication, it's also going to need those memory sticks for freaking game saves. That is just plain silly. Even if the PSP launches at $250 I would really love to know how much these other products are going to cost me just to have a decent gaming experience.

The DS has the touch screen for writing or to use a keyboard, it also has a microphone to communicate. 10 hours of battery and what 5 hours for wi-fi (total guess, I don't have much of a clue how much it'll cut down on battery life)? PLus it has a way to link up without having to go online. I think the PSP only has wi-fi? This is also what I'm looking at when I look at what I want out of the PSP and DS hell of a lot more than graphics. :p

Alcibiades

tenchir said:
Big turn off for me. I almost never charge my GBASP daily(let alone weekly). Hell, my PocketPC and cell phone is always nearly drain before I charge it(which is like every 3-4 days).

same here

and, I'm ALWAYS losing the SP charge cord cause I go so long without using, everytime the battery gets low it's a time-consuming affair trying to see if I can find where I left the cord (that said I'm very disorganized, but if it was a daily or even weekly recharge I'm sure I'd have an easier time finding it those times I misplace it...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I kinda figured this would be the outcome when Kutaragi said he didn't see the PSP as being a handheld you took outside...

And yeah, no way around it, that battery life is going to be hell when you want to play a WiFi enabled game. Sony's making the same mistakes others did. I see the PSP as being the most successful of the Gameboy family's competition, but Sony is building a cage around themselves that will most likely prevent the PSP from going as far as it would have if it were thought out a little better (and if Kutaragi had been a student of history)

john tv

I like Kutaragi a lot, but like most Japanese evil geniuses, he's a bit too stubborn for his own good. Someday it's gonna come back to bite him in his smiley little ass.

Alcibiades

john tv said:
I like Kutaragi a lot, but like most Japanese evil geniuses, he's a bit too stubborn for his own good. Someday it's gonna come back to bite him in his smiley little ass.

I slowly await that glorious day...

jarrod

Banned
Oh john, you're such a fanboi. :p

I've got to admit, I'd enjoy seeing old Kutaragi humbled finally... but I'd rather it was in the console arena. PSP excites me too much, I really want this product to find it's footing... funny if anyone had told me a few months ago DS looked like a fairly solid product and PSP was the one with potentially damaging concerns I'd have thought they were nuts.

Alcibiades

true, the PSP seems less of Kutagari thing and more of a Sony thing, which has this multi-function, rule-your-life, take-over living room, kinda approach the way they want be part of all your entertainment...

Kutagari's baby was the home Playstation and software, and it's unlikely any humbling is gonna take place in that arena...

Sony bought into the PSP quite easily compared to the PS-X, where Kutagari had to convince skeptical higer-ups...

luxsol

jarrod said:
I called it...

CPU setting 1: 8-10 hours (ex: DarkStalkers Chronicle, Bust-A-Move)
CPU setting 2: 4-6 hours (ex: Ape Escape, Death Jr)
CPU setting 3: 2-3 hours (ex: GT4 mobile, Dynasty Warriors)

...developers will determine battery expectancy, Sony's being vague on purpose here. Expect more conflicting estimations in the future...
Wouldn't the CPU settings be more for the other options the PSP offers?
CPU setting 1: MP3s, 2: movies, 3: games?

Alcibiades

luxsol said:
Wouldn't the CPU settings be more for the other options the PSP offers?
CPU setting 1: MP3s, 2: movies, 3: games?

actually, I think there is a clock-setting or something that developers use...

so maybe for a simple 2-d game the setting would be lower Megahrtz and for something with lots of fast 3-d, it would be the higher Megahrtz setting...

something like that anyway, so developers can choose how much CPU power the game uses...

edit: and for sure someone said there was THREE GAME SETTING I think... so that's in separate to however the PSP is going to handle movies and music...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Bebpo said:
Though if you assume that the majority of GBA buyers in Japan use them while on the trains/subways, then the travel time to work/school probably wouldn't exceed 3 hours round trip. Then if they want they could plug the system each night and take it again in the morning.

Screw the majority of GBA buyers - that's what I plan on doing. :) 2-3 hours (for the most drive-intensive of games) is just about perfect for my daily commute. Wonder whether there's going to be a nice stand for recharging the thing overnight, as there was for my first rechargable batter on GBA...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just thought about something. SquareEnix can't be very happy about the battery life, what with the typical RPG gamer used to more than 2-3 hours of playtime a session. Unless they plan on doing 2D RPGs for the PSP (and why do that when there is a massive and welcoming GBA audience who expects their RPG's to be 2D) they're more than likely pissed. I'd imagine that's why their PSP support hasn't been as strong as expected.

Alcibiades

I think Square is just playing hard to get...

I expect pretty strong support for PSP especially since they already have a good relationship with Sony and the Playstation 2...

I think they are supporting DS for the same reason EA supports GCN, they don't want to be taken for granted...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think Square/Enix is supporting the DS for the same reason EA supports the PS2, myself :)

Seriously though, RPG's are lengthy games by nature, and Square's are graphicly amazing.
I think Sony may have screwed themselves a bit on this one.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Is it okay not to take sides with either one?

One is powerful but has craptacular battery life.
The other looks vaguely fun in gimmicky way but has ghetto superstar graphics with no filtering.

How about I just read a book instead?

Yossarian

snaildog said:
2-3 hours is way too short for me. I've taken the SP on 7 hour bus/car trips; that's when it gets the most playtime. Camping too.
Thats what I use portable gaming for. I don't want to be in the airport and have it suddenly die out on me :mad: Regardless, I just wish we still had that first E3 thread on PSP battery life still... certain people would be eating an ass load of crow right now.

Lost Weekend said:
Just thought about something. SquareEnix can't be very happy about the battery life, what with the typical RPG gamer used to more than 2-3 hours of playtime a session. Unless they plan on doing 2D RPGs for the PSP (and why do that when there is a massive and welcoming GBA audience who expects their RPG's to be 2D) they're more than likely pissed. I'd imagine that's why their PSP support hasn't been as strong as expected.

Yah but how many RPG's do you think would really eat up that amount of power? It's not like every game they release is something that'd be capable of that. The real FF's would really be the only one, other KH, that could eat batteries that fast. And I doubt they're going to commit to making a project like that on any handheld till it's proven that they can make more than that back when its released.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Yossarian said:
I just wish we still had that first E3 thread on PSP battery life still... certain people would be eating an ass load of crow right now.

Yes, both those people who said the battery life would always be 10 hours for games and those people who said the battery life would always be 2-3 hours.

Dekajelly

If you are playing a game that is consistently cycling through and putting the CPU to good use, yeah, battery life is going to be shorter. Maybe about two and a half, three hours.

By this I'm thinking streaming games ala Grand Theft Auto, Jax & Daxter etc. Which will be just like the movie playback (2-3hrs), has the disc needs to keep moving too get the data off the disc.

GTA on the go, YAY!
dancingken.gif

Bebpo said:
I don't get this though.

Do people not want portable gaming to advance into 3d with results that look good even by todays standard?

I mean to do all that processing you will eat up the battery fast. There is no way to have small size & reasonable pricing & long battery life where we currently are in technology.

There's a cost and benefit for everything. Someone could just as well say Do people not want portable gaming that looks like the PS3? So the cost is $1000 and the battery life is 10 minutes. That's better than waiting 10 years. We all just draw the line at different places.

Xizk

3hours is not much when you travel for 12 hours by car,like I do once a year. So I hope the price isn't too high,because I still may be buy one if it is reasonably priced.

And I would glady wait a bit longer for ps2 graphics on a handheld if the battery life could be at least 5 hours.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
PSP's battery life will be a problem, but not nearly as much as GameGear/Nomad.

The PSP is a rechargable battery. The big problem with those other portables was that you had to buy batteries every few hours. While it will be annoying to have such a limit on play time, it is just a matter of plugging it into the wall to get a fresh charge. Nobody is going to have to stockpile on AA batteries for when the old ones die.

That said, PSP sucks and stuff.

edit: And, Bebpo, no. I do not want 3d portable gaming. People do, but people are retarded.

Archaix said:
That said, PSP sucks and stuff.

It's probably going to be getting a SMT game though since the developers liked the PSP in the interview they gave about it. Possibly Persona 3? Or just a remake of 1&2 again, and maybe we'll finnaly see a US release of it now that Atlus has warmed up to them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
SolidSnakex said:
It's probably going to be getting a SMT game though since the developers liked the PSP in the interview they gave about it. Possibly Persona 3? Or just a remake of 1&2 again, and maybe we'll finnaly see a US release of it now that Atlus has warmed up to them.

Shut up, you! I had a point there! Quick trying to change my mind! I won't cave in!

Top Bottom