• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about FFXI and Chains of Promathia expansion

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how will players without the expansion interact with players with the expansion (if at all)? There's just so many "incompatability" scenarios popping up in my head... How is it going to be handled? Like new areas, items, etc?

ShadowRed

Banned
The same way the last expansion was handled. The areas/missions/quests for the expansion will only be availible to the people with the expansion installed. If you go to the guy who gives you a mission that is in the expansion he won't activate, probably tell you to get lost or something. You will be able to go to some of the new areas so long as there isn't a requirement that is activated by having the expansion. You wil be able to use any of the new equipement if you were to buy it off the AH, but it will be pretty expensive to do so.

Scott

To simplify what he said:

Think of it like PSOv1 & v2. You play on the same servers, interact the same way, and can even play together. But if a v2 player enters an "Ultimate" difficulty game, v1 players aren't allowed to enter.

Basically, the new stuff in FFXI will work that way. You'll play on the same server, be able to interact the same way, and be able to play together as usual. However, only CoP users will be able to enter the new areas, go through the new Missions, etc. A user without the expansion will still be able to talk to them, see what area they're in (they added a new world map for this purpose), and so on, just not join in those activities.

Items, on the other hand, will largely be available to everybody. New recipe lists for new items popped up a week or so before the expansion even came out, and some of the new stuff was available on the AH already (created through crafting). The exceptions to this, however, will be EX Items & Key Items. If any of these are gained through exclusive CoP areas/missions/what-have-you, they won't ever be available to players without the expansion; and since these aren't trade-able items, there's no compatibility issues.

Make sense?

And it's not a stupid question at all, I see this confusion pop up for pretty much every new MMORPG expansion, so don't worry about it. :p

Nos_G

So... If I buy Chains of Promethia for PS2 and then activate it on my Playonline account... will my PC version of FFXI update to Chains of Promethia?

It would suck if I had to buy the expansion pack twice, since I play on both PS2 and PC interchangeabl-y depending on when the PC is free.

ShadowRed

Banned
Nos_G said:
So... If I buy Chains of Promethia for PS2 and then activate it on my Playonline account... will my PC version of FFXI update to Chains of Promethia?

It would suck if I had to buy the expansion pack twice, since I play on both PS2 and PC interchangeabl-y depending on when the PC is free.

Yep good question. I would think that you would have to buy it twice because the expansion drops files onto your HD so if you bought the PS2 version then logged into your Pc as a guest and tried to play you would still need the files from the expansion pack.

B'z-chan

Banned
ShadowRed said:
Yep good question. I would think that you would have to buy it twice because the expansion drops files onto your HD so if you bought the PS2 version then logged into your Pc as a guest and tried to play you would still need the files from the expansion pack.

Well your right you need to buy both if you play both PS2 and PC. BUT you only need one code. I do kind of think it is stupid to make you buy it twice, but its a way to make money.

oh well maybe i will buy the pc version. either that or just borrow someones COP (pc) disc =P Since i already bought it for PS2.

Think about it for a second. The purpose of an expansion disc is to convey additions too data-heavy to be included in a downloadable patch. Even if you could "activate" the expansion on your account, without the disc itself where would you get the data?

Nos_G

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Think about it for a second. The purpose of an expansion disc is to convey additions too data-heavy to be included in a downloadable patch. Even if you could "activate" the expansion on your account, without the disc itself where would you get the data?

True, I guess I'm just getting it for the PC then and then borrow the PS2 version from the friend, to update the PS2 version.

I hope it works.

Top Bottom