• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

/r/neogaf |OT| Reddit Discussion

Helios

posted for IzukuMidoriya IzukuMidoriya
Reddit is a social network, in similar function to a message board that many games, communities and fandoms often make sections (subreddits) on. It can also be a good source for a wealth of information, memes and current events. Post any discussion about Reddit and it's subreddits here.

Be sure to post any subreddits links using the old.reddit.com format! The new design is rather awful, with most preferring the old design anyway. The "Old Reddit Redirect" plugin can help with this:

Chrome (and Chromium variants): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/old-reddit-redirect/dneaehbmnbhcippjikoajpoabadpodje
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/old-reddit-redirect/

Some subs I recommend:
/r/greentext (mostly dumb greentext stories full of "yeah, that totally happened" moments)
/r/wholesomememes (memes that make you feel good)
/r/nottheonion (real life stories that you'd expect out of a parody publication like The Onion)
/r/buildapcsales (ongoing sales on various PC parts)
/r/softwaregore (pictures of malfunctioning software with an odd/cursed feel to them)

Helios

If any site should be nuked from the internet, it’s reddit. Commie central.
From my experience, it depends on the subreddit. The bigger the subreddit, the higher the chance that the mods are on some power trip. The downvote system doesn't help either.

Thurible

Subreddits I enjoy:

r/catholicism - Pretty self explanitory. It is a subreddit where some of us catholics talk about our faith. Sometimes you see beautiful churches, the holy sacrament, etc. There are also many questions asked about the faith over there for outsiders and catholics. It is very a harmonious community.

r/prolife - It is a subreddit that is dedicated to the prolife cause, the main topic being abortion, though of course euthanasia and the like are occassionally brought up. Most of this subreddit shares news about what is happening in the world regarding abortion.

r/toonami - A subreddit about anime/cartoons on toonami, which is a programming block on adult swim that only airs on saturday nights. Just a fun little thing.

r/askreddit - This is a subreddit dedicated to people asking other reddit users questions. The questions vary and can be about anything. I like hearing what other people have to say on certain topics or what interesting thing has happened in their lives.

Papa

Banned
From my experience, it depends on the subreddit. The bigger the subreddit, the higher the chance that the mods are on some power trip. The downvote system doesn't help either.

The whole site is astroturfed to buggery. I refuse to believe that Aaron Swartz's death wasn't political.

Nymphae

Banned
Use it for some FGC stuff, some communities are fairly active.

Great for throwing a random question into an active subreddit and getting lots of answers. But as an internet destination, I try to spend as little time as possible there these days.

ROMhack

I'm sure this started with good intentions but I cannot stand how passive-aggressive Redditers generally are.

I can see why subs like 'Daily Game Deals' are fine but anything with discussion... nah.

Last edited:
I love reddit. I dont need to sign up to a bunch of specific content based forums, instead i just type in search what i want, they have the subreddit and I ask my question. Simple and easy, you dont even have to subscribe to a subreddit to post there.

Dthomp

I love reddit, but I am 100% sure I cannot share any of the subreddits I follow. I know how much tiddahs irritate irrational folk.

Hotspurr

Banned
Reddit is great. I supplement GAF with specific subreddits of games I'm interested in. Some of the best leaks or info come from those subreddits. Some good ones:

Xboxone, PS4, greatxboxdeals, ps4deals, Nintendoswitch, Nintendoswitchdeals

My hobby subreddits:
Birding, birdpics, 3dprinting, photography

Insanity subreddits:
Politics, the_donald

Thurible

My hobby subreddits:
Birding, birdpics
You like birdwatching? That's cool! My Mom is sorta into birds (not in a huge hobby sort of way like going out and trying to find and identify them). She just likes to get out some bird feeders and watch them in our yard.

Hotspurr

Banned
You like birdwatching? That's cool! My Mom is sorta into birds (not in a huge hobby sort of way like going out and trying to find and identify them). She just likes to get out some bird feeders and watch them in our yard.

I do. I go out nearly every weekend and try to photograph all sorts of birds while learning about them. It's basically Pokemon for adults.

Top Bottom