• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT is only 20 days away! It's been so long

Here's a dev timeline I did in the other thread

Original movement and animation prototype
WBge8vH.png

Slugcat concepts
GlZVl47.png

Standing on poles for the first time
puU5FLy.png

First lizard prototype
wSuuwTg.png

Early levels
5yWnZeZ.png

First logo and art
IOZNFvH.jpg

"Bears" and "Crocs", before slugcat and lizards were a thing
8hA9Owz.png

Already working on AI and pathfinding even back then
T8JezYy.png

First menu
9UUeeUd.jpg

Multiplayer teases
gU0hNzI.png

Fending off lizards
49UFjpL.gif

First look at different lizard types
MSFBYDK.png

Aesthetic taking shape
KvmE6cP.png

Pinning lizards to walls
gyjaUXq.gif

First spear battle
0ptHlAL.gif

Kickstarter GIF
0xheHGW.gif

First garbage worms
KdMuCQJ.gif

First GIF of Rain World being rebuilt on Unity
qTOwVmb.gif

A glimpse at the game's parallax background
hTZGqcG.gif

Unity slugcat climbing again
Tod0KKM.gif

Slugcat back in action
MQu6mFf.gif

Unity lizard coming to life
k3sU00n.gif

Now with tails and feet
rWehIXr.gif

Almost there
ocKaDDv.gif

Unity lizards in action
jufJ7XV.gif

New creature and backgrounds together for the first time
TDHDRbd.gif

Species interactions taking shape
Wl2I1GK.gif

First water
Bjc5eZz.gif

Rain
7chjii8.gif

Water, bats, and more together
0jj3A5w.gif

Co-op
9cdV2TB.gif

Vulture before
bIlmJto.gif

And after
rfOLptU.gif

First 16:9 widescreen screenshot
GRlpd3R.jpg

AI infighting in the works
eweLDDu.gif

First look at procedurally generated individual traits
WwJLgHB.gif

Now with darkness and lighting
ggihlkg.gif

Finally in-game rain
nq9fb9M.gif

Lizards can hear
pPJb9Pt.gif

Lizards can see
nHGJFTG.gif

First in-game map
4DUNftz.png

New logo
WOWiT67.png

Art preview from new artist
sOw5sWz.png

New in-game map
HlMykNT.png

Fancy new banner
9LSeQ9l.jpg

New screenshot
F5eNBwvh.jpg

Teasing release
0ds9oXE.png

New GIFs with site overhaul
32026346631_a8d23899d1_o.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I still dont know exactly what this is, is it level based, "metroidvania" style, what exactly is it?

I still dont know exactly what this is, is it level based, "metroidvania" style, what exactly is it?
Metroidvania-style interconnected world, one of the largest with like 1,600 rooms. No traditional gating, at least not last year; devs wanted player skill and knowledge to be the "gates". Once you master movement and learn how to best deal with different species, you'll be able to reach and survive other regions

Gameplay is stealth-action platforming and exploration. Big focus on AI, game has around 30+ species in its ecosystem and they all interact, both with different species and within species.

Prurient

Banned
I asked in the other thread but never got a reply, does my purchase of the Alpha through Humble entitle me to a key of the finished game? Google isn't helping me much, I'm happy to pay again because this game is amazing, but it would be nice to know.

Corpekata

Banned
I asked in the other thread but never got a reply, does my purchase of the Alpha through Humble entitle me to a key of the finished game? Google isn't helping me much, I'm happy to pay again because this game is amazing, but it would be nice to know.

Don't see why it wouldn't. Did you buy it on Humble store or the dev's site via humble widget?

Prurient

Banned
Don't see why it wouldn't. Did you buy it on Humble store or the dev's site via humble widget?

I can't actually remember to be honest. I'm going to guess I did it through the dev's site as you can't actually find the game via searching on the Humble site. I just have a download link to the exe in my Humble library.

Corpekata

Banned
I can't actually remember to be honest. I'm going to guess I did it through the dev's site as you can't actually find the game via searching on the Humble site. I just have a download link to the exe in my Humble library.

I'd try to hit them up via social media or the game's steam forum. Probably not for a few days since I imagine they might be at Pax and it would getn buried.

I didn't realize this had a date. Q1 2017 is ridiculous. I put most game purchases on hold for a while despite this deluge of great titles, but I will make an exception for Rain World.

Paskil

Oh wow, I missed the announce for the release date. Been quietly anticipating this game for a while now. Pretty excited and will probably get day one. Also taking that week off (planned in advance) so I will hopefully be able to play a good amount before Persona 5 drops.

Crispy75

I would add a newline between images so they don't collide with each other.

720p for the static screens (smaller gifs of course)

Otherwise great!

Lanrutcon

I'm sick of these games where you play overpowered characters.

As every cat owner knows: you do not mess with a determined feline.

I hope this will run well.
Anecdotal, but both Ori and Hollow Knight are unity and gave me performance issues.
Infact id say most unity games did.
Devs have said the game is "fairly locked at 60FPS" on PS4, while the framerate on PC scales with your specs. They've gotten up to 120FPS

thumb

Banned
I now have the game preordered. Looks so interesting. But I admit my predominant feeling is one of worry for Slugcat. I just watch gifs and go "Noooo! Slugcat run!"

I now have the game preordered. Looks so interesting. But I admit my predominant feeling is one of worry for Slugcat. I just watch gifs and go "Noooo! Slugcat run!"
Case in point
I've been playing Rain World. This is an accurate summary of my experience (imagine me screaming out loud)
1.gif
From Killscreen writer Chris Priestman

UrbanRats

Devs have said the game is "fairly locked at 60FPS" on PS4, while the framerate on PC scales with your specs. They've gotten up to 120FPS
Both in Ori and Hollow Knight was less about classic frame drops and more about load problems and freezes for me.
The game would be going smoothly, but then either freeze for a second (Hollow Knight) or take up to 10 seconds to load/move the screen, with the character stuck offscreen (ori).
Or straight up crash when teleporting (ori) but thats probably a different problem.

Rain World's screen seem less seamless though so that probably helps.
Also Ori seems really intense graphically, even for a 2d game, but on a 970 is still odd.

Watched a few streams of the early game. Man, I've never feel the frustration of wanting to yell at someone playing a game and missing stuff

The fact that 1) you can bring food with you to a shelter and 2) that food doesn't respawn seems like it definitely encourages the player to explore.

Crispy75

Watched a few streams of the early game. Man, I've never feel the frustration of wanting to yell at someone playing a game and missing stuff

I've seen just *one* guy do a backflip (which goes higher than a regular jump and therefore lets you go places you otherwise wouldn't) but it was a fluke and he spent an age spasming around trying to replicate the feat. I shouted at my television.

But I've also seen plenty of amazing scenes. The AI and animation really live up to their promise, and the thrill of escaping a dicey situation is palpable.

I think the reviews are going to be interesting. Some people are not going to get it. Some people are going to think it's GOTY.

I preordered this game due to the many years following this thread. I just realized I don't really get what the goal of the game is. Is the gameplay open ended/roguelike where you try to keep surviving? Do you make permanent progression in your exploration? I personally hope it's more the latter.

Crispy75

I preordered this game due to the many years following this thread. I just realized I don't really get what the goal of the game is. Is the gameplay open ended/roguelike where you try to keep surviving? Do you make permanent progression in your exploration? I personally hope it's more the latter.
Yes there is progression and a narrative.
What there isn't, is any sort of "upgrades" or "levelling up"
Unless there's a bunch of late-game content we haven't seen (and the devs would have to walk back a lot of their promises for this to be the case), you're the same slugcat at the end of the game as you are at the beginning. The only upgrades are to your own knowledge of the world and your skill at navigating/exploiting it.

I've seen just *one* guy do a backflip (which goes higher than a regular jump and therefore lets you go places you otherwise wouldn't) but it was a fluke and he spent an age spasming around trying to replicate the feat. I shouted at my television.

But I've also seen plenty of amazing scenes. The AI and animation really live up to their promise, and the thrill of escaping a dicey situation is palpable.

I think the reviews are going to be interesting. Some people are not going to get it. Some people are going to think it's GOTY.
I saw one guy make it back to his shelter just as the rain started going full blast. Like you said, the tension was palpable

It'll certainly be divisive in several aspects, likely needing restart cycles over if you die and the lack of handholding/potential aimlessness.

There's a narrative and progression. Actually the game forces you to progress because food doesn't respawn, so naturally you have to go deeper into the world and venture out into unexplored territory to find new food. It's very metroidvania in that sense, a large map of interconnected rooms, but you don't unlock new abilities on skill tree, rather you learn more about how the world works and master your moveset.

This podcast episode talks with the whole team, discussing the origins of the game, how everyone met and got involved, the development process, PAX 2017, how the scope expanded tremendously after getting a publisher, the gameplay, getting ready for launch, and so on
http://www.bostonbastardbrigade.com/2017/03/nbnr-rain-world-special/

Fun fact that the slugcat plushies sell out every convention. They have a big merchandising appeal that not many indie games can claim. They said how people sometimes know "slugcat" before even realizing it's from a game or that Rain World is a thing

I'm appreciating that there isn't a gif attached to this post. I'm looking forward to finding stuff I haven't seen yet within my own gameplay experience.
You playing the game for review?

And yeah, considering we're so close, figured it was best to just have the link if people wanted to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom