• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, every playthrough we get a new world map made up of a lot of rooms out of the 1600 he made?
No, the entire world is entirely hand-designed and consists of over 1,600 rooms. He's talking about how he wanted to capture the sense of exploration you get exploring procedural worlds like those in Minecraft

Devs shared this on Twitter

hUYdLod.png

Crispy75

I can't find anything on first page about rank system, what is it?

Every in-game day you survive and hibernate, you go up a rank. If you die, you get returned to the last time you woke up, and your rank goes down. To open the gates that block access to new areas, you need to have a high enough rank.

(not sure if Rank is the right word for this system)

FelipeMGM

Every in-game day you survive and hibernate, you go up a rank. If you die, you get returned to the last time you woke up, and your rank goes down. To open the gates that block access to new areas, you need to have a high enough rank.

(not sure if Rank is the right word for this system)

yeah, and there is a way to avoid you losing the ''rank'', but sometimes the circunstances of the world just make it really hard (or not achievable) to do so

And It took me a while to undesrtand all of this and really play the game by its rules. I even erased like 6 hours of progress and started over

And because you keep the map, then I got to the same place I was in less than an hour lol

Today's the five year anniversary of the game's development log on TIGSource

Here's the original creature trio, then and now

y7jOXcM.png

jYg7jvM.jpg

===

More early impressions
I just started playing this today and as others have said or shown via vids, this game is bonkers in the best possible way. It's almost deceptively simple in how it's laid out, but there are deeper elements which are waiting to be accessed through experimentation within the world.
Rain World is probably one of the tensest, most stressful games I've played in ages. It's awesome!
Animation, colour palette, soundtrack, and enemy behaviour all combine to make @RainWorldGame utterly terrifying
so @RainWorldGame is fucking amazing! i love the look and feel of the game, also Slugcat is the best animal!

Im really curious about the tone other reviewers will use on this game's review. This has been a hard review to write for me
I don't usually care about reviews. I mean, I'd like the games I like to be received favorably, but I don't stress over scores

Rain World is different. I really really want to see this to be a critical success. I'm hoping it'll be held up in the same tier of stuff like Inside, Enter The Gungeon, SuperHOT, Thumper, etc.

This is really cool. Kind of a spoiler, but it's about the general ecosystem, not a specific creature, region, or mechanic
This is a liiiittle bit of a spoiler, but when you kill a creature, what happens is that it opens up that creatures den, which can allow some other creature to move into it. Sometimes it'll just be another creature of the same species, but if you kill more and more of them, the likelihood that more dangerous (and sometimes even secret) creatures will move in gets higher and higher
From Steam

Edit: also this, a general tip regarding lizards
Each of the lizard breeds has its own preferred prey. And usually they have something that they'd rather eat than a slugcat, which can be very helpful to learn!

Watching footage and from reading the devlog, I think one of the most interesting thing is how Rain World seems to have combined the strongest elements of a roguelike with the overreaching progression of a metroidvania

The roguelike side includes the inherent RNG of the dynamic ecosystem, the unknown items that you need to use to see what they do, the skill progression that comes from understanding the world and mechanics, and the relatively short timeframe of a "run"/new day.

While the metroidvania side combines all those distinct "runs" into a cohesive whole and a sense of exploration in a singular world.

yeah, and there is a way to avoid you losing the ''rank'', but sometimes the circunstances of the world just make it really hard (or not achievable) to do so

And It took me a while to undesrtand all of this and really play the game by its rules. I even erased like 6 hours of progress and started over

And because you keep the map, then I got to the same place I was in less than an hour lol

I'm not into replaying 6 hours of a game, so please spoil me (in spoiler tags) the way to avoid losing rank. :p

Granjinha

Going out at night? Nah, I'm good, fam.

rain_world_night_by_digi_matrix-db3gb4p.gif

man this part is quite hard, especially because you have to get somewhere before the rain comes and it's a loooong way there with these fucking psycho birds

well at least i thought that until i got to the part after that. This game is INTENSE. Jesus.

Another cool tweet from a streamer
I will say, @RainWorldGame is really, really brutal. It’s like a Herzog documentary about cute animals surrounded by predators.

And a clever GIF from Adult Swim involving a vulture
https://www.twitter.com/adultswimgames/status/845693261624750081

===

i'm 40 hours in and still haven't finished it :p
Nice

Are these remappable?
I believe so. I've seen the options a few times in streams, and I recall a remapping option

Mandelbo

eeeeh the rank stuff sounds iffy to me. I was expecting areas to not be explicitly gated off, and having to dark souls your way back through areas to reclaim your rank if you lose it is a bit disappointing.

eeeeh the rank stuff sounds iffy to me. I was expecting areas to not be explicitly gated off, and having to dark souls your way back through areas to reclaim your rank if you lose it is a bit disappointing.
1) The world is structured like a metroidvania
2) You're going to be traveling and moving back and forth through these levels anyway all the time, since you have to return to a shelter to survive the cycle.

data

Does this game have a map that you can access, and shows you which areas you've been to?

E: Nvm, found it by googling

CHC

I feel like the enjoyment of exploration is going to be very contingent on the quality of the map. I hope it's a good one, it's always tough in Metroidvania type games where the map basically just looks like a plate of spaghetti with nothing marked out or discernible at all

Yeah, that sounds a bit gamey for a game that works very hard to create a believable, grounded world. What happens when you hit a blocked area, you just get a message?

Also, what are the technical differences between PS4 and PC? Does PS4 run at 60fps?

Crispy75

Yeah, that sounds a bit gamey for a game that works very hard to create a believable, grounded world. What happens when you hit a blocked area, you just get a message?
The "day" symbol by your hunger meter flashes red if you don't meet the requirements
Also, what are the technical differences between PS4 and PC? Does PS4 run at 60fps?

Yes, PS4 runs at 60. PC goes as fast as your computer and monitor will support. Because the animations are procedural, it can only get smoother :)

Also, PC is likely to get updates more quickly.

petran79

Banned
I feel like the enjoyment of exploration is going to be very contingent on the quality of the map. I hope it's a good one, it's always tough in Metroidvania type games where the map basically just looks like a plate of spaghetti with nothing marked out or discernible at all

It would be unique if instead of a map you'd rely on the slugcats senses and memory to orientate.

Devs were actually very against adding gamey elements. Like they didn't want any text, or even a map (because a slugcat can't read text or understand what a map is). But after playtesting, they realized they needed those aspects since it was just too difficult and confusing for players.

The map is actually designed with the intent of looking like the slugcat's memory rather than a typical map screen. The map button makes the slug stop and closes its eyes like it's deep in thought, and then the map slowly fills the screen starting from your spot in the world

CHC

It would be unique if instead of a map you'd rely on the slugcats senses and memory to orientate.

If it were a 3D game I'd love for that to be the case, but I feel like in 2D games where areas typically connect to, at most, 4 other areas, it can be really hard to remember how to get around, in like a way that isn't fun at all. Something in 3D where you can physically see landmarks and move towards them is fine as an alternative, but keeping a mental image of where 1600 different areas all are relative to each other just sounds obnoxious to me.

I like to get lost and I like hard games, but that just sounds miserable.

Been reading through the devlog from the beginning, this was a neat comparision from 2014

Same area, original Lingo versus rebuilt in Unity
tpPVAOc.gif

bMaC.gif

Pachimari

I've begun to skip gifs and such as I want to explore and learn the world on my own. I'm so damn excited I've skipped all games this Spring just waiting for this one. It has been such a long way coming and we are so close to playing it!

The "day" symbol by your hunger meter flashes red if you don't meet the requirements

Yes, PS4 runs at 60. PC goes as fast as your computer and monitor will support. Because the animations are procedural, it can only get smoother :)

Also, PC is likely to get updates more quickly.

Thanks. May have to break down and purchase the PS4 version since we have no idea how long the Mac version will take to come out. Feels like this may be a better couch-and-controller game anyway.

Devs were actually very against adding gamey elements. Like they didn't want any text, or even a map (because a slugcat can't read text or understand what a map is). But after playtesting, they realized they needed those aspects since it was just too difficult and confusing for players.

The map is actually designed with the intent of looking like the slugcat's memory rather than a typical map screen. The map button makes the slug stop and closes its eyes like it's deep in thought, and then the map slowly fills the screen starting from your spot in the world

That's pretty cool. With 1500+ rooms, a map certainly seems like a necessary compromise. I doubt even the devs remember where all the rooms are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom