• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World - Hunt prey, evade predators, survive as a Slugcat (March 28th, PS4/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samemind

You playing the game for review?

And yeah, considering we're so close, figured it was best to just have the link if people wanted to check it out

I meant when I eventually get the opportunity to do so, as a consumer. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Rain World has been on my most anticipated list since possibly early 2016 if not 2015.

Crispy75

Reading the old devlog entries is great fun :)

September 02, 2013
Update 166
Complete makeover of the world map. It's now 7*8 screens big, and contains 3 different save spots
fzKzzmP.jpg

I'm never finishing this thing am I?

You have no idea :D

I'm never finishing this thing am I?

Plan to take around 3 years. :)

Only three creatures
The game will have three types of creatures in it. I won't go in to detail on how I plan to design them visually, that's not entirely worked out yet and will hopefully be an exciting surprise. Together the creatures will form a little eco system, where creature B eats creature A and creature C eats creature B. B, the player, is in the middle of this food chain, and the gameplay will consist of trying to hunt while at the same time avoiding to be eaten.

A is a flying creature, that can move quickly and reach every part of the map.

B, let's call it "the Bear" because of its ears, is a running and jumping creature, with medium mobility and probably also access to most of the map, as maps will be designed mainly from this creature's perspective. This is the player avatar in the game world.

C, let's call it "the Croc" is a crawling, climbing creature that can't jump, and is somewhat less mobile than the bear. This one will come in a few sub-species, some of which will be capable of wall climbing, increasing access the different areas of the map. They will have different stats and abilities and be threatening in different ways.

Granjinha

You guys under embargo? Any other impressions you could share?

For vultures, at least in the alpha, best tactic was always narrow spaces. They can't get their heads in that far. Also, I think they added an upward throw to the game

yeah, there's embargo =/ there's a lot of moves that i don't know how to do yet and i'm already 15 hours plus in lol

but i'm loving it. Especially how the creatures interact with each other and how the game doesn't explain anything, basically. (that's a plus for me considering the nature of the game)

From April 2012
As it looks right now the game is leaning more towards a platformer/sneaker than an action platformer as I had originally planned. I have nothing against this, if that's the direction the project wants to go I'll allow it. I like the feeling that the crocs are physically superior to you, they outrun you easily, the only way to survive is to out smart them. This is a perspective I think is fairly rare in games.
I love how you can see the current game being shaped. The game became more about stealth because of how the AI was behaving.

yeah, there's embargo =/ there's a lot of moves that i don't know how to do yet and i'm already 15 hours plus in lol

but i'm loving it. Especially how the creatures interact with each other and how the game doesn't explain anything, basically. (that's a plus for me considering the nature of the game)
Nice! There's no game I've anticipated as much as Rain World, so hoping you and other early impressions are an indication of how this will be received critically.

Not sure I understand? Certainly there are far, far more than three creatures? Seems like they've shown at least 6 or 7 I can think of.
That was from 2012. At the time, the plan was slugcat ("the bear"), lizards ("the croc"), and bats. That's it. It's funny reading in 2012 that all the planned mechanics were finished and in the game. The game was originally planned to be a three-creature ecosystem with a focus on action platforming

Multiplayer should be interesting. Perhaps more stealthy than expected. From 2012:
Did a lot of multiplayer playtesting, most of it went rather good. The crocs are actually just smart enough to play tricks on, which is a lot of fun. At one time I was hiding in a little pipe section while a croc was snooping around outside, and my opponent wanted to mess with me. He crawled up to a balcony above, and exposed himself. He knew that the fastest route up to that balcony was through the very pipe I was hiding in...

Edit: 2012 gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QnWjkKgwdw
First footage of lizards with limbs

FelipeMGM

You're playing it too?

It's really fucking hard. I mean, i knew it was going to be tough, but jesus christ fuck these vultures

You guys under embargo? Any other impressions you could share?

For vultures, at least in the alpha, best tactic was always narrow spaces. They can't get their heads in that far. Also, I think they added an upward throw to the game

yeah I have, and its really tough. But not in any unfair way though, you know how you screw up when you die.

My first couple of hours were really brutal, like basically making no progress at all until I undestood better the rules of the world. Now Im more into it, but I still dont get a lot of stuff and Im dying a lot lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm excited for this, and I (generally) quite dislike modern 2D games tbh.

Hope it's good.

More reviewer hype
There is something indescribably special about @RainWorldGame I think it might be my favourite game ever.
I did not think it was possible for a game to be simultaneously; cute, terrifying, hilarious and fun. A massive inspiration.

===

I think this quote from Joar sums up the game's vision very well. What he says here is abundundant present when you watch gameplay or play a little
Another important part of what makes my project what it is would be that I don't believe art and code can be separated. Many games work with an artist / programmer division in their teams, but as I'm doing this alone I can float freely between the two roles, which I think has played to my favour.

Programming is creating behaviours, and I think it's a bad idea to keep how something behaves separate from how it looks. How something, such as a creature, looks is what will give you the first impression of what it is. How it behaves is what will let you know it even more, what will make you understand it under the visual surface. But it's still the same creature. Looks and behaviour should be telling the same story, I believe. So maybe it's not such a good idea that they most often are created by different people, in different rooms, at different occasions?

In my game I've tried to make the gap between graphics and behaviour as narrow as possible. My ideal state is when the graphics and the behaviour of an object are inseparable, how it looks is how it moves

I just screamed the most honest ''ooooh FUCK!'' of my life while playing this game.

Im so glad I went on this pretty much blind
Nice. I can just imagine what it was, considering some of the things in the game

===

Still cool to see the behind the scenes of the animations
jFqZR.gif

4BcQA.gif

Granjinha

I just screamed the most honest ''ooooh FUCK!'' of my life while playing this game.

Im so glad I went on this pretty much blind

this game has a LOT of these moments

i want to say FUCK a specific creature this game has but i'm just gonna wait until launch

yeah I have, and its really tough. But not in any unfair way though, you know how you screw up when you die.

My first couple of hours were really brutal, like basically making no progress at all until I undestood better the rules of the world. Now Im more into it, but I still dont get a lot of stuff and Im dying a lot lol

yeah i agree, it's really fair once you understand the rules. What i love is how much stuff there is to discover. I'm 20 hours in and still finding out about things that i could do or use right at the beggining :p

Pups are still going to be in the game, but they're going to be added in the first update as another narrative loop through the game
49cafcaf0736e41096605e5090317918_large.gif

75bd5cb95d05979bf8851a7740e668b8_large.gif

Devs say they didn't fit in the narrative of the main game

sgtmofo

Neo Member
Some videos and info had referenced multiplayer, but the menu screens don't seem to indicate there is any in the final version. Is it to be understood multiplayer (coop and competitive) has been removed entirely?

Some videos and info had referenced multiplayer, but the menu screens don't seem to indicate there is any in the final version. Is it to be understood multiplayer (coop and competitive) has been removed entirely?
It's coming in a post-release update, along with other new content (pups, possibly a sandbox mode, etc.). They're still working on balancing

Pups are still going to be in the game, but they're going to be added in the first update as another narrative loop through the game
49cafcaf0736e41096605e5090317918_large.gif

75bd5cb95d05979bf8851a7740e668b8_large.gif

Devs say they didn't fit in the narrative of the main game

Interesting. I thought they'd be coming later in the narrative, like a third act, to increase complexity. But fair enough. Do you think it could be a side-narrative with the pups?

Also, Rain World devs. Come to the UK sometime, I want to buy a Slugcat plushie XD

Interesting. I thought they'd be coming later in the narrative, like a third act, to increase complexity. But fair enough. Do you think it could be a side-narrative with the pups?

Also, Rain World devs. Come to the UK sometime, I want to buy a Slugcat plushie XD
The way they describe it - "a separate narrative loop" - makes it sound like a new way to play the game, rather just than a side objective or something

Because when you read the older devlog posts, the pups completely change the game. You have to carry and throw them to help them around levels, have to find food to feed them as well, they can use weapons to help you out, they have their own AI so being aggressive to one is a good way to make them kill you.

It sounds like they have major post-release plans
- Pups
- Multiplayer
- Mac, Linux, other platforms
- A potential sandbox mode

The way they describe it - "a separate narrative loop" - makes it sound like a new way to play the game, rather just than a side objective or something

Because when you read the older devlog posts, the pups completely change the game. You have to carry and throw them to help them around levels, have to find food to feed them as well, they can use weapons to help you out, they have their own AI so being aggressive to one is a good way to make them kill you.

It sounds like they have major post-release plans
- Pups
- Multiplayer
- Mac, Linux, other platforms
- A potential sandbox mode

So, pups could be basically New Game Plus? :O

Granjinha

oh man i found something really cool and weird and i think it's from the narrative? really wanted to ask a dev what TO DO NOW OMG

but ok gonna go back and do something that i probably shouldn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom