• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Mandelbo

So I've gone from the Gar
bage Wastes
to another section of Sh
oreline,
then worked my way back to the section that I've already explored and am now back in the Sha
ded Citadel
- perhaps now that I have a permanent light source I might find more things. I'm yet to find the Chi
mney Canopy
so I kinda want to find that after I'm done looking around.

It's strange - I feel like I've explored a hell of a lot of the world at this point but also simultaneously feel that I've barely scratched the surface of what's here. There are at least four areas I know of that I haven't found yet, all of which will likely connect back up to even more areas, and I still haven't fully explored either Fil
tration
or the Sub
terranean.

When you're coming down from a pipe on the ceiling, is there any way to grab on to a pole that's sticking out of it instead of just dropping down?

e:

I just went to some scavenger outpost. Two vultures came down trapped me and a scavenger (who wasn't hostile at this point) underground. Then a pink lizard crawled into that same underground space and began coming towards us. Then the scavenger randomly turned around and speared me.

Mandelbo

um
UM
I found an Ec
ho and now I have two more ranks.
That was a very interesting event. So does this mean that
there are gates that require higher ranks than you can possibly have at the start of the game?

Danielsan

Man, U
nderhang
is so god damn difficult. I can't find the next shelter in time for the rain and keep getting sucked drie by those blue assholes.

Zom

Banned
So after the
enlightenment I have to backtrack everything?

I think I kill the robot/alien/thing, now I feel bad :(

Edit: Ok now I know what to do

Press up.

I do that, but there's still a gap of time where you're falling. If the pole is too short or you mistime, you're going to plummet to the ground and possibly get eaten.

It's weird things like that that drag this game down. Why does the game assume that I want to go crashing to the ground instead of lowering myself on the pole sticking out of the pipe? On a related note, why do I have to hold tap the down key to do a long jump, when the down key is also used for falling off of platforms?

You don't. You just hold the jump button while crouched

Oh? That wasn't made clear in the brief tutorial, like, at all. It said to hold the down and jump keys.

That also doesn't help on small platforms, the ones barely wider than the slugcat. Trying to long-jump off them is a nightmare, he just drops down whenever I tap the crouch button unless you're in some sweet spot that'll take half the cycle to find.

I'd say bind the crouch and drop buttons to different keys, but the crouch button doesn't seem to serve any purpose but creating hassle. I'm at the Garbage Wastes (or I was, now I'm locked behind the gate in Industrial Complex again) and I haven't come across a single time where I've said "The crouch button adds to the game." All it does is make long-jumping weirdly difficult and force an extra step for crawling in pipes (because slugcat will squash himself into pipes butt-first and move at half speed should you neglect to hit crouch before entering it). Maybe just remove it altogether.

I'm overall enjoying the game, but it's absurdly frustrating. I saw mentions of Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy earlier, but the difference is that those games are brutal but fair. Comparisons to IWBTG are much more apt, because most of the difficulty comes from sheer unfairness. Which I don't really mind, except then it adds some inane progression system on top of it, so shit like getting eaten by an unseen lizard camping on the other side of a screen change results in 30+ minutes of a glorified XP grind. I've never played a game that tries this hard to make me quit.

Rodelero

Just had my second crash, but this time it occurred as I reached a shelter, and my save got corrupted. I have a cloud save, but I've still lost a good two hours of play. The nature of this game though means that, in actual fact, I'm probably basically in the same position now as I would have been if the game hadn't corrupted my save.

Think I may give this game a break until (hopefully) some changes are made to stop it from being so obnoxiously punishing around death. Also really not a fan of how difficult it is to see underwater. I died a couple of times navigating pipes underwater purely because I couldn't tell where I was. Bizarre to play a released game where you at times practically can't see yourself during moments where you will literally drown if you do something too slowly. I really want to love this game and I like a lot of what is there, but I'm starting to think I'd prefer to play it through, from the start, with the difficulty toned down just a bit. I don't mind the game being hard but I'm tired of losing chunks of progress for one reason or another.

Granjinha

Man, U
nderhang
is so god damn difficult. I can't find the next shelter in time for the rain and keep getting sucked drie by those blue assholes.

Yeah, that's the only part i didn't enjoy. Where are you? At the shelter in right side of the map right before you enter Underhang?

I think that's the only shelter in the area.

You can kill most of the creatures in the game, also, almost all of the one hit kills are actually avoidable and you can survive them :p
Pretty much. A single spear will disable pretty much any lizard, 2 or 3 strikes for a green, and you can even bring down a vulture with like two spears

Danielsan

Yeah, that's the only part i didn't enjoy. Where are you? At the shelter in right side of the map right before you enter Underhang?

I think that's the only shelter in the area.
Yep, that's where I am. Shit, is that the only shelter? That will be an issue because you need to be top rank for the gate and I'm all the way down to zero. ;/

edit: Found the shelter, thank god!

Man this is cool as hell, but I really feel I shouldn't be here yet (F
ive
P
ebbles
, that moment when you realize there is no
gravity
. I'm fairly sure this is getting close to the end of the game and I have missed so many regions. I wish passages weren't as finite so I could jump back to some other regions first.

edit: F it. I'm using a passage. I've had it with
zero G jumps trying avoid blue gue and blue octopus monsters.
. I guess I'll make sure to leave one passage to get back.

DD

This game is so opressive that I'm playing in short bursts (usually just two or three cycles), but then, five minutes after closing the game I find myself opening it again to play another round of two or three cycles.

I'm currently at
Shaded Citadel
and I've find the exit with ranking/level to move on, but there were paths where the holo friend were pointing me with a
little head, like he was pointing a place with creatures to visit? Should I go back and follow it?

Mandelbo

So, er, where's that shelter in the Und
erhang?
I've got four pips left on the timer, have found a gate which requires rank five and still nothing.

Pachimari

I seriously can't seem to find any checkpoints, and I am exploring pretty far out from my last checkpoint now:

f2SVjAp.png

Pachimari

That's the first region, right? Which one was your last checkpoint, the one you enter during the tutorial?

Yeah, that's the one. I've ever only seen this one checkpoint. Really wish I could find another and learn to look for it, because I'm enjoying every other aspect of this wonderful game.

Yeah, that's the one. I've ever only seen this one checkpoint. Really wish I could find another and learn to look for it, because I'm enjoying every other aspect of this wonderful game.
Looking at your map, you have to head right. You were on the right track

Danielsan

What the fuck is this game. Just hit the D
epths
. No clue what to do. Got killed by these crazy
grim reaper x-men
fellas:

So, er, where's that shelter in the Und
erhang?
I've got four pips left on the timer, have found a gate which requires rank five and still nothing.
It's in the center to the right (bottom floor) under the hallway that leads to the gate.

Mandelbo

So now I'm in Fi
ve Pebbles.
This area is loathsome.
Having intermittent gravity outages is pretty cool but when it leaves you immobile and vulnerable to the tentacles, or causes you to fall onto a screen with no way of knowing in advance where the tentacles are gonna be, it's also pretty frustrating!

Danielsan

So now I'm in Fi
ve Pebbles.
This area is loathsome.
Having intermittent gravity outages is pretty cool but when it leaves you immobile and vulnerable to the tentacles, or causes you to fall onto a screen with no way of knowing in advance where the tentacles are gonna be, it's also pretty frustrating!
Yep. I left that place with a passage. Couldn't bare it anymore.

Mandelbo

Yep. I left that place with a passage. Couldn't bare it anymore.

Well unluckily for me I don't have any more passages, so it's either push forward or go all the way back through
Underhang, the Leg, Memory Crypt and Shaded Citadel
- I think I'm here for the long haul.

Mandelbo

Out of interest, if anyone's been all the way through it, how big is Fi
ve Pebbles? I'm really hoping it's relatively small because the amount of guesswork and luck required here is insane. Also hoping there's not another rank 5 gate at the end of it because I think that'd be my breaking point.

Joar2

Neo Member
So, no fix for the stuttering animation yet?

Can you give some more details on this issue?

Also, I'm currently bug hunting. If any of you have corrupted save files (that either crash on boot or crash when going through a region gate) please feel free to send them over and I'll look into it! In the region gate case it would be helpful if you let me know which gate triggers the issue as well. Thank you guys :)

Despera

Banned
Well you guys convinced me and I got the game. Loved that little intro and the music.

Played for about 30 minutes and already getting a bit confused. Let's see how this goes.

I'm still very early in the game, just got to my second hibernation chamber. Towards the very beginning, the tutorial explained a long jump mechanic that I was able to do by holding down B I believe to charge and then jump. Ever since then, I haven't been able to replicate it. What am I missing?

Granjinha

Yep, that's where I am. Shit, is that the only shelter? That will be an issue because you need to be top rank for the gate and I'm all the way down to zero. ;/

edit: Found the shelter, thank god!

Man this is cool as hell, but I really feel I shouldn't be here yet (F
ive
P
ebbles
, that moment when you realize there is no
gravity
. I'm fairly sure this is getting close to the end of the game and I have missed so many regions. I wish passages weren't as finite so I could jump back to some other regions first.

edit: F it. I'm using a passage. I've had it with
zero G jumps trying avoid blue gue and blue octopus monsters.
. I guess I'll make sure to leave one passage to get back.

That's exactly where you need to be. Hint:
Avoid the Unfortunate Development section. Go through the left and keep exploring through that until you find memory array. From there, you'll find the place you need to be.

Also: That place is like at halfway through the game. Yeah, that shocked me too.

I really don't know how to deal with those guys in the
depths
. Guess I'll head elsewhere.

You have to finish
Five Pebbles
to go through there. That's
the end of the game
If you don't "finish" five pebbles you get killed by these guys

So now I'm in Fi
ve Pebbles.
This area is loathsome.

Avoid the area with the tentacles. You can through another way where there aren't any enemies.

Mandelbo

I'm still very early in the game, just got to my second hibernation chamber. Towards the very beginning, the tutorial explained a long jump mechanic that I was able to do by holding down B I believe to charge and then jump. Ever since then, I haven't been able to replicate it. What am I missing?

You need to be crouching when you hold down the jump button (so you don't have to hold down BOTH crouch and jump.) When the jump is charged, you'll see Slugcat rear up on his hind legs a bit.

DD

Can you give some more details on this issue?

Also, I'm currently bug hunting. If any of you have corrupted save files (that either crash on boot or crash when going through a region gate) please feel free to send them over and I'll look into it! In the region gate case it would be helpful if you let me know which gate triggers the issue as well. Thank you guys :)

I'm facing these framedips too, but it's nothing annoying or anything that gets in the way ruining the gameplay. It's small stuff that I'm barely noticing anymore. But it would be cool to have it running more smoothly. What is really annoying for me is that the game takes too long to fully open when I double click its icon on the desktop. Sometimes it stick with a black screen, and most of the time it takes too long to register a click on a button on my X360 controller when I open the game (no problems during gameplay). Sometimes I alt+tab to the desktop and alt+tab back to the game and it seems to speed the boot process. Oh, and I have a 16:10 screen and the game run with black bars on the top and on the bottom of the screen, which is okay, but there's a bug that keeps remnants of the Steam in it, like on the bottom right of this screen here. Small issues, but I'm playing the game just fine.

wGwm2Ta.png

You need to be crouching when you hold down the jump button (so you don't have to hold down BOTH crouch and jump.) When the jump is charged, you'll see Slugcat rear up on his hind legs a bit.

Thanks.

Also, if I understand this correctly, if I quit the game anytime I'm not in a chamber then I rank down?

Granjinha

Thanks. Is there actually anything worth looking at in the
Unexpected Development section then? Any areas or useful items as a reward?

Not really. Like most of the areas, you can interpret at what happened to the area through worldbuilding
(all the corrupted stuff and tentacles everywhere)
, i liked exploring every area i was in the game but there isn't anything ~shocking there, really :p

Mandelbo

Thanks.

Also, if I understand this correctly, if I quit the game anytime I'm not in a chamber then I rank down?

Yep! You need to select Exit rather than Continue on the hibernation screen to quit properly.

Not really. Like most of the areas, you can interpret at what happened to the area through worldbuilding
(all the corrupted stuff and tentacles everywhere)
, i liked exploring every area i was in the game but there isn't anything ~shocking there, really :p

Hm. I wonder what the purpose of going through it is then?

Joar2

Neo Member

Common misconception! You actually *don't* need to hold down, you just need to be crouched. Holding down will cause trouble as you'll tumble off platforms etc. We're currently looking into solutions for making this clearer.

Top Bottom