• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Cyanity

Banned
Common misconception! You actually *don't* need to hold down, you just need to be crouched. Holding down will cause trouble as you'll tumble off platforms etc. We're currently looking into solutions for making this clearer.

You could require players to crawl through a low area in the beginning, then have them do a long jump while standing on a pipe directly after the short crawl so that they understand that the long jump can be triggered without holding down!

DD

Common misconception! You actually *don't* need to hold down, you just need to be crouched. Holding down will cause trouble as you'll tumble off platforms etc. We're currently looking into solutions for making this clearer.

Oh! (ಠ_ಠ)

Mazre

Went through the
Chimney Stacks
today. Fairly linear compared to previous areas. Lots of verticality and a bunch of tricky jumps too. My reward was a brief glimpse of
the sky islands
before I missed a jump and ended up on the wrong side of a karma gate.

Getting much more comfortable moving and how to maneuver predators into more favorable positions.

Paskil

Man, this game keeps drawing me back. Took me forever to get out of the starting area, but now it feels like a whole lot is clicking.

Pachimari

e7BUInc.png

So the orange spot I've marked is the tutorial checkpoint. And I am thinking of exploring what is in the purple circle. I haven't found a single checkpoint on this map.

How is this game in terms of punishing the player with their time? I don't want to backtrack long segments of the game because I chose to experiment and died, or something like that.

How is this game in terms of punishing the player with their time? I don't want to backtrack long segments of the game because I chose to experiment and died, or something like that.
Game is divided into 20 minute cycles, so at most 20 minutes, usually less. Think of it like the pace of roguelike, different runs

Yeah I actually went further to the right and still didn't find anything. I did find a yellow flower that made me rank up though, but I haven't found a checkpoint.
Head up from where you found that flower

Also it doesn't rank you up. It locks your rank in place if you die

Mandelbo

Right I've looked around for more places to go in Fi
ve Pebbles
and I can't find a way that doesn't involve tentacle monsters, so I'm giving in for today. Utterly infuriating area. Hopefully it'll be easier on me after a break.

For all the shit I've given the tentacle monsters, they're not all bad - this one was particularly kind (area spoiler): https://twitter.com/mandelbo/status/848623430501109760

Thanks for replying, that's interesting.

Is there procedural generation like a roguelike, to justify the repetition?
Map is handmade and doesn't change, but the animals roam the map independently of you so even though you may be going through the same room, you'll usually find different situations. Maybe it's empty, maybe you have to evade a predator, maybe predators are fighting each other or hunting other animals, and so on

DD

I'm currently at
Shaded Citadel
and I've find the exit with ranking/level to move on, but there were paths where the holo friend were pointing me with a
little head, like he was pointing a place with creatures to visit? Should I go back and follow it?
Guys? :(

Map is handmade and doesn't change, but the animals roam the map independently of you so even though you may be going through the same room, you'll usually find different situations. Maybe it's empty, maybe you have to evade a predator, maybe predators are fighting each other or hunting other animals, and so on

Interesting, thanks again for replying! Sounds like a really unique game.

The metascore is crazy low, relative to how the game appears. I'd really love to give it a go, perhaps I will when I get paid.

Mandelbo

The metascore is crazy low, relative to how the game appears. I'd really love to give it a go, perhaps I will when I get paid.

It's definitely not perfect, and it's definitely not a game for everyone - I can see why the game has the score it does, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. It's *really* hard and unforgiving, but the world's so oppressive and interesting to explore, and the feeling you get when you outsmart the AI or make a plan to tackle an area and execute it perfectly is second to none.

If you do give it a look, make sure to perservere past any initial frustrations you might have. The game really annoyed me for the first few hours I played it, but as I got to grips with the controls and the rules of the world I started enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

I'm half tempted to make a beginner's guide or something to help ease people into the game, tbh

DD

The thing the yellow guy's pointing to isn't in
the Shaded Citadel anyway, and unless you've gone in a really weird direction the gate you're at is likely the way you want to go.

So I guess I'll move on then. Thanks, bro!

To be honest, in my personal experience, most of the AAA high scorers make me sleepy. Rain World is that kind low scorer that I'll probably remember for decades at least with subversive twisted logic.

XaosWolf

I'm still not sure what people are talking about when they say janky controls. Even with an analog stick I've not had any issues.

There could be some more tutorials, sure, but there's already a little yellow guy that tells you where to go to progress.

The game is all about evading enemies as Slugcat is not a fighter. He CAN fight, but only from a decent distance and only with tools.

People talking about dying to stuff they can't see and I've not had that either. The music changes when there's an enemy in the area and changes again when it knows you're there. This happens even if they're off camera.

It indicates when something is near a pipe on the next screen to avoid you bumping right into something and even then you can just go right back through the pipe to safety or even through the creature it if its in the pipe too.

Its surprising how many people I've watched playing this just don't know where to go and just wandrr round the same couple of areas as if they're magically going to change on the 20th visit.
Then they complain that its confusing and just quit.

Again: Yellow thing. Telling you where to go. Most of the time.

I'm even beginning to think that changing the gate/karma system would be breaking the gameplay. If it changes people would be unlikely to learn the areas and creatures in between the shelters and the next gate.

I just don't think people are using their heads with this game. Trying to play Rain World as if it were a completely different game and failing because they aren't learning this games' systems.

DD

I'm still not sure what people are talking about when they say janky controls. Even with an analog stick I've not had any issues.

There could be some more tutorials, sure, but there's already a little yellow guy that tells you where to go to progress.

The game is all about evading enemies as Slugcat is not a fighter. He CAN fight, but only from a decent distance and only with tools.

People talking about dying to stuff they can't see and I've not had that either. The music changes when there's an enemy in the area and changes again when it knows you're there. This happens even if they're off camera.

It indicates when something is near a pipe on the next screen to avoid you bumping right into something and even then you can just go right back through the pipe to safety or even through the creature it if its in the pipe too.

Its surprising how many people I've watched playing this just don't know where to go and just wandrr round the same couple of areas as if they're magically going to change on the 20th visit.
Then they complain that its confusing and just quit.

Again: Yellow thing. Telling you where to go. Most of the time.

I'm even beginning to think that changing the gate/karma system would be breaking the gameplay. If it changes people would be unlikely to learn the areas and creatures in between the shelters and the next gate.

I just don't think people are using their heads with this game. Trying to play Rain World as if it were a completely different game and failing because they aren't learning this games' systems.

A1Kaq8V.jpg

Sometimes, for me, I think games are worth the asking price on the basis of their art alone, even if I don't enjoy the gameplay so long as I enjoy the art I'm happy with the product. Hohokum is like that for me, and I figure that even if I don't like Rainworld (I'm willing to give it a chance) I'll like the way it looks, which is good enough to not feel as though I've wasted money of I buy it.

That might sound silly, but I think this game looks and sounds beautiful so that should be enough to get my money's worth whether or not I end up liking it as a game.

DD

My God, as I said before, I've reached the gate with level enough to move the f*ck out of
Shaded Citadel
, but I decided to go back and explore a bit before posting that on the previous page. Then I died and had to level up again to follow Mandelbo's advice and get the hell out of there, in seach for food I went to the
pitch black dephts of the Shaded Citadel
and I got lost, died again, leveled up again, strugling to find my way back, and now the rai got me while I was searching for food and shelter. GRRR... :(

EDIT: I just noticed that the game has no steam cards. Would it help selling the game more?

Thanks for replying, that's interesting.

Is there procedural generation like a roguelike, to justify the repetition?

That isn't necessarily accurate.

The game is divided into regions, and you need to be a certain rank to pass through them. You gain rank when you survive a cycle, and lose it when you die (unless you find a special flower). So if you explore an entire region but don't have the necessary rank to move on, you can end up spending several cycles grinding for it. Gates also have to be unlocked each time you go through them and are never permanently opened, by the way, so if you die in a new region and get booted back to a save room in the old one, you may be stuck without the required rank to go back through.

petran79

Banned
Save file is in txt format with various values. I wonder if it is possible to mofify things like rank or location with a simple edit

So if I'm looking at this. The thing in the middle is a gate right? So if I had come from the right side, I would have been able to open it because I got that symbol/rank.

Correct.

Also, I've been travelling all this space and didn't find a checkpoint:

I don't have the map itself memorized. If you tell me the specific area you're at though, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Shinjica

That isn't necessarily accurate.

The game is divided into regions, and you need to be a certain rank to pass through them. You gain rank when you survive a cycle, and lose it when you die (unless you find a special flower). So if you explore an entire region but don't have the necessary rank to move on, you can end up spending several cycles grinding for it. Gates also have to be unlocked each time you go through them and are never permanently opened, by the way, so if you die in a new region and get booted back to a save room in the old one, you may be stuck without the required rank to go back through.

I dont see why gates are a interesting mechanic. Look like they designed this only to make the game last longer than it should be

Danielsan

That's exactly where you need to be. Hint:
Avoid the Unfortunate Development section. Go through the left and keep exploring through that until you find memory array. From there, you'll find the place you need to be.

Also: That place is like at halfway through the game. Yeah, that shocked me too.

You have to finish
Five Pebbles
to go through there. That's
the end of the game
If you don't "finish" five pebbles you get killed by these guys

Avoid the area with the tentacles. You can through another way where there aren't any enemies.
Thanks man! At least now I know that I'm not missing anything in that area. Sucks that I left
Five Pebbles
due to frustration. Just like Mandelbo I was banging my head against the
Unexpected Development
area. I managed to get through it at some point, only to get zapped by
floating
into an oversized bug light. Guess I'll make my way out of the
Subterranean / Filtration System
and head elsewhere for now. I know there is still a major area that I've missed. Worst case scenario I'll have to farm bats for the Hunter passage or just use up my last passage to warp back to
Five Pebbles
. Ideally I'd like to save one though.

Mandelbo

Is it actually possible to run out of time in Fi
ve Pebbles?
The timer still goes down, but
according to that I've run out of time already and there's no rain, and thinking about it how would the rain even fall? Perhaps if I left I'd just get killed instantly?

Danielsan

Do passages recharge over time, or do you only get a finite number of them?
It seems they are finite. I wish you could recharge them, either through x amount of hibernations or by hitting the original conditions again. For now I'm keeping one passage in my pocket and I'll probably try to get another passage soon (The Hunter should be easy enough).

Gsnap

What's the deal with these plants you throw something at to open. Seems like they have fruit on them to eat but it won't let me grab them.

DD

Popcorn plants <3

Yesterday I desperately managed to find my way back and finally left the Shaded Citadel. :D

Gsnap

Popcorn? Just jump past the fruit part while pressing grab.

Yeah, I think that's the one. Does the slugcat grab them and eat them like other plants? Because he didn't when I tried. It may have been too high that I didn't quite reach it, but I thought I did.

I did notice that
I randomly had full health once, without eating anything, shortly after trying to grab that plant unsuccessfully. Was it related to that?

Crispy75

Yeah, I think that's the one. Does the slugcat grab them and eat them like other plants? Because he didn't when I tried. It may have been too high that I didn't quite reach it, but I thought I did.
There's no animation cycle for it. Keep an eye on you hunger meter, it should go up by one shortly after you land the jump.

Gsnap

There's no animation cycle for it. Keep an eye on you hunger meter, it should go up by one shortly after you land the jump.

I see.

Bit of a strange decision, doesn't make much sense. But good info to have anyway.

Slowly making my way through the game. Still stand by what I said before. A decent amount of poor design decisions throughout (mainly via conveyance/visual clarity), but still very enjoyable to play once you get used to it. Hard to put it down when you start making progress.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Argh, I had tried throwing more stuff at that plant to knock it loose but didn't think to just jump and grab it. Lesson learned.

I saw them as a trap I could use to take out a lizard, lol. (guess that might still be possible)

XaosWolf

There is an animation for the popcorn plant. SC reaches for it and then puts it in their mouth.

It may throw people off because it doesn't get held and then manually eaten. The kernels are too small to show that though.

I'm honestly having a blast with it, not usually one for punishing difficulties in games (could never get into Soulsborne titles), but the art style, oppressive post apocalyptic industrial atmosphere, and the fascinating menagerie of beasts with with the gorgeous animations keeps me coming back for more. As someone pointed out earlier, this has managed to capture some of the magic of Stalker what with the dynamic ai routines constantly at work throughout the world. Just wish maybe a fast travel option could be implemented down the road, already hit a tougher than usual spot where I need to backtrack to my previous hibernation chamber.

Cyanity

Banned
Well, after a hectic weekend, I finally found some free time for this game. Time to get the heck out of the industrial zone and move on. Any hints for the general direction I should be going in? I'm guessing far right, instead of down.

XaosWolf

Well, after a hectic weekend, I finally found some free time for this game. Time to get the heck out of the industrial zone and move on. Any hints for the general direction I should be going in? I'm guessing far right, instead of down.

The yellow thing will lead you down the "correct" path. It'll either outright point you at an exit with an arrow or it will appear and look at you then its suggested exit repeatedly.

You are of course free to ignore it and explore but it will also help by leading you to nearby shelters when its getting close to raining.

DD

HOLY SH*T, the water parts on the Shoreline are f*ckin awful! Dafuq...

EDIT: seriously, f*ck the Shoreline! I was loving this game, but now, for the first time I feel compelled to give up.

Top Bottom