• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Mazre

Awesome vulture-lizard interaction
I knocked a vultures face covering off with a spear and was able to wear it like a mask and the lizards ran away from me! Then I was eaten by a plant =(

Granjinha

Well, after a hectic weekend, I finally found some free time for this game. Time to get the heck out of the industrial zone and move on. Any hints for the general direction I should be going in? I'm guessing far right, instead of down.

Definitely far right. Down is the harder path in the game :p

Oops. Double post, sorry!

Pilfered from steam forums, written by the programmer. This is stuff that should be on the front, since this can sell the game.

It's just amazing when a game isn't just smoke and mirrors, but it's built cohesively.

The creatures have as much agency as the player. They exist perpetually, need to hunt for food, find shelter, get into squabbles with each other over territory, etc., and as such they are only limited in where they can go on the map by their own physical limitations (and in some instances gates, etc). Also worth noting is that each creature is a unique individual with its own size/weight/look/personality (aggression, fear, etc), and they can learn from their experience from whatever previous encounters they've had with the player.

Each of the lizard breeds has its own preferred prey. And usually they have something that they'd rather eat than a slugcat, which can be very helpful to learn!

each of the limbs of the creatures can take damage. Like, if you hit a lizards arm or leg with a rock, it can cripple that limb, meaning that the lizard cant use it for locomotion; it will move slower, and if it is trying to climb a pole or something and it weighs too much for the other limbs to support it and will probably slide down, with its broken arm or leg dangling, etc.

Another thing to note is that the creatures pathfinding will learn from its mistakes, so if it attempts a path a few times and is unable to for whatever reason, it will seek out alternate routes.

DD

Those quick things in the water?
You can "mount" them (with the grab button) and ride them in the water.

I literally have no idea of what you guys are talking about. I'm right at the beginning of Shoreline (and dying a lot), so perhaps these creatures appear further down the road?

Anyway, I'm starting to agreeing with the claims of "wonky controls". It's f*ckin' terrible underwater. And I understand the idea of being hard to put your head out of the water when there's water falling down from the ceiling, but it's ridiculous how sometimes the Slugcat randomly goes up and sometimes it ends up drowning. Feels totally random. It's really frustrating. I'm not sure if I have the will to continue. I was totally sucked by the game, but these random underwater behavior is too much to endure.

Granjinha

I literally have no idea of what you guys are talking about. I'm right at the beginning of Shoreline (and dying a lot), so perhaps these creatures appear further down the road?

Anyway, I'm starting to agreeing with the claims of "wonky controls". It's f*ckin' terrible underwater. And I understand the idea of being hard to put your head out of the water when there's water falling down from the ceiling, but it's ridiculous how sometimes the Slugcat randomly goes up and sometimes it ends up drowning. Feels totally random. It's really frustrating. I'm not sure if I have the will to continue. I was totally sucked by the game, but these random underwater behavior is too much to endure.

Are you "charging" a lot? Because the Slugcat automatically goes up when he is getting out of breath, and when you "charge" (with the jump button) the breath goes out faster.

About the creature, its this one. The one jumping to the right with the purple eyes.

Zom

Banned
I got more trouble in the Garbage Wastes than in the Shoreline, which was actually very fun lol.

Permanently A

"I want to explain an absolutely core part of Rain World right now, because Rain World never explained it to me (and that lack of an explanation cost me so much time I don’t even want to think about it.) When I first started playing, I thought the symbols displayed in the lower left of the window were meant to indicate days or phases because they roll forward each time slugcat hibernates. But they’re not. They represent slugcat’s karma, and should slugcat die they can be lost — rolled back one at a time. This matters because certain areas of the map (and consequently story progress) are gated in ways that require a certain level of karma to access."

DD

Are you "charging" a lot? Because the Slugcat automatically goes up when he is getting out of breath, and when you "charge" (with the jump button) the breath goes out faster.

About the creature, its this one. The one jumping to the right with the purple eyes.

I tried with and without pressing the jump buttom, but it doesn't seem to make any sense.

And I haven't seen this creature yet. =o

Cyanity

Banned
Aha! Went far enough
right
in the Industrial area and finally found another shelter! there were TWO white lizards in the little room that connects to it though; I got super lucky dodging them into it.

edit - made it out of the Industrial Zone and into the C
himney Canopy
after only one very sad death. Got nabbed by a white lizard, who proceeded to get plucked off the ground by a vulture, then got a little too cocky with a white lizard on the way back to the shelter and ended up food :c

double edit - turns out you can actually escape from the white lizards' tongues!
So you know how if you're in a crawlspace, hitting the jump button causes the slug cat to jump forward a bit? If a white lizard nabs you at an appropriate distance and you keep hitting the jump button, you'll actually escape from its tongue AND have enough time to crawl far enough away to avoid the tongue again (or at the very least you'll be a little bit farther than before and still able to kick off from the tongue)

docbon

My experience so far on the Shoreline: https://youtu.be/i1cZzMZMWQk

I really don't understand why the Slugcat goes up in one screen but not on the other. It doesn't make sense at all.

Yeah, this sequence is the most absolutely infuriating part of the game for me by far. After spending a good hour on it, I just abandoned the area altogether.

The combination of the waterfalls and Slugcat's inability to hold its breath for longer than 5 seconds makes me want to punch my monitor.

Even going through the underwater pipe for the room transition is sketchy.

Mandelbo

My experience so far on the Shoreline: https://youtu.be/i1cZzMZMWQk

I really don't understand why the Slugcat goes up in one screen but not on the other. It doesn't make sense at all.

Hm. When I did that area I had a lamp on me so it was much easier to see where Slugcat was underwater, but I definitely had problems there too. It seems like, in those parts where water's dropping from the ceiling, Slugcat gets sucked into the current slightly, so I suppose my only real tips would be to mash the jump button when you're trying to surface, or try to surface more to the hard left or right of the opening so the dripping water doesn't effect you as much.

"I want to explain an absolutely core part of Rain World right now, because Rain World never explained it to me (and that lack of an explanation cost me so much time I don’t even want to think about it.) When I first started playing, I thought the symbols displayed in the lower left of the window were meant to indicate days or phases because they roll forward each time slugcat hibernates. But they’re not. They represent slugcat’s karma, and should slugcat die they can be lost — rolled back one at a time. This matters because certain areas of the map (and consequently story progress) are gated in ways that require a certain level of karma to access."

Yep this is very important to know. Also if you eat golden flowers (which are usually near the hibernations area) you lock your karma for one life. Meaning if you die you won't decrease in karma.

DD

Hm. When I did that area I had a lamp on me so it was much easier to see where Slugcat was underwater, but I definitely had problems there too. It seems like, in those parts where water's dropping from the ceiling, Slugcat gets sucked into the current slightly, so I suppose my only real tips would be to mash the jump button when you're trying to surface, or try to surface more to the hard left or right of the opening so the dripping water doesn't effect you as much.

Yeah, I have a lamp, but I've lost it a little before recording that. I'll try to record something with it when I get home tonight. I tried coming from the sides, from bellow, I tried smashing the jump button but nothing seems to make sense. Sometimes it goes up; sometimes it won't. :(

Yeah, this sequence is the most absolutely infuriating part of the game for me by far. After spending a good hour on it, I just abandoned the area altogether.

The combination of the waterfalls and Slugcat's inability to hold its breath for longer than 5 seconds makes me want to punch my monitor.

Even going through the underwater pipe for the room transition is sketchy.
Is there a way to ignore this area and move on? =o

nkarafo

Can you give some more details on this issue?
The animation flows smoothly but every now and then it looks like it has less frames, it looks stuttery. Feels like it goes from 60 frames to 30 or 20. It stays like this for a few seconds and then it goes smooth again. And then repeat after a few seconds.

It's not game breaking, 20 frames or so is still smooth enough for animation frames in a 2D game, but it's the transition from smooth to not-so-smooth that makes it noticeable. Plus, the whole animation system is the main selling point in this particular game i believe. So it's the first thing i would expect to have no issues.

The animation flows smoothly but every now and then it looks like it has less frames, it looks stuttery. Feels like it goes from 60 frames to 30 or 20. It stays like this for a few seconds and then it goes smooth again. And then repeat after a few seconds.

It's not game breaking, 20 frames or so is still smooth enough for animation frames in a 2D game, but it's the transition from smooth to not-so-smooth that makes it noticeable. Plus, the whole animation system is the main selling point in this particular game i believe. So it's the first thing i would expect to have no issues.

Sorry to be that guy, but check you don't have spyware/virus. It could be the cause.

Any other game with performance problems?

Crispy75

Got plenty of RAM? RW is written in C# which means memory management is by garbage collection. If you're RAM-limited, the GC could be working very often?

Cyanity

Banned
I'm ashamed to admit that I've started save scumming in the C
himney Ceiling
area, mostly so I can learn how to deal with the enemies without worrying about massive rank downs.

Danielsan

Warped back to
Five Pebbles
yesterday and took the "easy" route. Finally made it through. Now at The
Wall
. I know where to go with my new
gift
. I think I'm ready to wrap this game up. I still haven't been to the C
himney area
, no clue how to get there. But my love for the game is dying down a bit after a couple of annoying areas and basically binge playing the game for a week.

nkarafo

Sorry to be that guy, but check you don't have spyware/virus. It could be the cause.

Any other game with performance problems?
System is clean. I know about every single process that runs so if any new one pops up, i'll know. Tried the game on my second Windows 10 OS as well (dual boot). Same problem.

Some other games may have frame pacing issues that RTSS can fix. This game doesn't get fixed this way though.

Also i have an i5 4670, 16GB RAM and a 1060/6GB.

docbon

Yeah, I have a lamp, but I've lost it a little before recording that. I'll try to record something with it when I get home tonight. I tried coming from the sides, from bellow, I tried smashing the jump button but nothing seems to make sense. Sometimes it goes up; sometimes it won't. :(

Is there a way to ignore this area and move on? =o

lol, damn near nothing is communicated in the game so I have no idea if there's something mandatory in there or not. I just back tracked through the
shaded citadel
and ended up in the
underhang

DD

lol, damn near nothing is communicated in the game so I have no idea if there's something mandatory in there or not. I just back tracked through the
shaded citadel
and ended up in the
underhang

I guess I'll try that then. =o

Thanks for the tip!

Crispy75

fuck the bits where you have to take a breather from swimming underneath waterfalls. fuck them. they are not fun. at all.

EDIT: Seriously, is there something magic I'm supposed to be doing? Feels like about 1 time in 6 I can get the little fucker's head to surface. And now at this second example, it's IMPOSSIBLE. This is in shoreline (down the pipe to the left of the Shaded Citadel gate, then right)

XyZ0qYt.png

EDITEDIT: Oh, you're supposed to swim past it >_<
EDITEDITEDIT: Hah, ok you've got to wall jump up the next one. hahahahaha. ha
EDITEDITEDITEDIT: Now that bit's full of poopfish. FML

Cyanity

Banned
Does anyone know what the gold pearl in C
himney Canopy
is for?

Also, should I even be here? Or should I go back to the Industrial zone and find a different gate...?

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
fuck the bits where you have to take a breather from swimming underneath waterfalls. fuck them. they are not fun. at all.

EDIT: Seriously, is there something magic I'm supposed to be doing? Feels like about 1 time in 6 I can get the little fucker's head to surface. And now at this second example, it's IMPOSSIBLE. This is in shoreline (down the pipe to the left of the Shaded Citadel gate, then right)

XyZ0qYt.png

EDITEDIT: Oh, you're supposed to swim past it >_<
EDITEDITEDIT: Hah, ok you've got to wall jump up the next one. hahahahaha. ha
EDITEDITEDITEDIT: Now that bit's full of poopfish. FML

Nerfing this in next patch! Different waterfalls have different velocity, which you can tell by looking at the bubbles / audio, etc. But... yeah its too unfiarl. Nerf nerf nerf. Also sluggies lungs are getting a bit of a buff as well!

DD

Nerfing this in next patch! Different waterfalls have different velocity, which you can tell by looking at the bubbles / audio, etc. But... yeah its too unfiarl. Nerf nerf nerf. Also sluggies lungs are getting a bit of a buff as well!

Thanks for that, James! I thought that they might be fallen on different speeds, but the difference seemed so subtle that I wasn't so sure about it. Any idea of when (no pressure) the patch is coming? I'm also struggling on the Shoreline, just like Crispy75. I was thinking about trying to find another exit from the Shaded Citadel, but maybe I should wait for the patch?

Crispy75

This forum needs a like button :)

Cyanity

Banned
Stuck it out in C
himney Canopy
until I managed to get a V
ulture
M
ask
! Hung onto it long enough to make it to the first shelter in the W
all
. But not before some asshole
white lizard tongued it right off of my face x.x

edit - SO MANY lizards in the W
all
. Getting really good at dodging them, at the least. Still dying more often than not, though.

Mandelbo

This room in The W
all
is confusing the hell out of me

There are several blue guys guiding me to this room, so it seems like the way I'm meant to be going, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get across to the pipe on the other side - all the poles are too far to jump to, and even if I were to throw a spear at the platform directly in front of me I still wouldn't be able to make it. On the screen below there's a shelter but still no way of crossing over to the upper right. There has to be *some* way of doing it, right? Unless I'm not supposed to have entered the room from this direction?

Crispy75

This room in The W
all
is confusing the hell out of me

There are several blue guys guiding me to this room, so it seems like the way I'm meant to be going, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get across to the pipe on the other side - all the poles are too far to jump to, and even if I were to throw a spear at the platform directly in front of me I still wouldn't be able to make it. On the screen below there's a shelter but still no way of crossing over to the upper right. There has to be *some* way of doing it, right? Unless I'm not supposed to have entered the room from this direction?

Like this?

FCDGBpC.png

Mandelbo

Yeah I don't think this room's doable, at least from this direction... which puts me in a bit of a shit position because the only other path is to the Chi
mney Canopy
, but that's behind a Karma gate and there's more or less no food around here, aside from some bats which don't always seem to be around. That's not even starting on the lizards...

Cyanity

Banned
Yeah I don't think this room's doable, at least from this direction... which puts me in a bit of a shit position because the only other path is to the Chi
mney Canopy
, but that's behind a Karma gate and there's more or less no food around here, aside from some bats which don't always seem to be around. That's not even starting on the lizards...

Is there not a zone if you go up?

Kansoku

No, that doesn't work - the first pole's too high up to reach with a long jump, I just fall down to the screen below.

It look's like the third pole (with the purple slugcat in Crispy75's image) extends to the screen below. Can't you reach it from there?

Mandelbo

It look's like the third pole (with the purple slugcat in Crispy75's image) extends to the screen below. Can't you reach it from there?

Unfortunately not - this is what the lower portion of the room looks like:

All the poles you can see here are part of the background and can't be climbed. Initially I was thinking of throwing spears at the wall on the right to climb up that way, but I don't I have enough to actually get anywhere with it. I don't understand it, because it really does seem like the blue guys are insistent on me going this way, and the fact there's a shelter here two rooms from the previous one suggests to me the room has some significance, otherwise why have a shelter here at all? But I'm totally stumped on how I should do it... I'm just gonna have to brave the upper areas again to try and find some more bats, although that's hard when there's sometimes more than five lizards on screen at once with no alternative route around them :p

Joar2

Neo Member
Mandelbo, sorry to hear you're stuck! We're tuning that gate in the next patch. Please feel free to send me your save file (RainWorld/UserData) and I'll bump up your karma so you can continue!

docbon

Has anyone figured out how to reliably mount those tall as heck deer creatures? I found the food source they like, but I can never seem to grab hold of their antlers before they run off to the other side of the area, no matter how many times I try to scale them.

Top Bottom