• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Mandelbo

Mandelbo, sorry to hear you're stuck! We're tuning that gate in the next patch. Please feel free to send me your save file (RainWorld/UserData) and I'll bump up your karma so you can continue!

Good to hear! Thanks for offering to help, I've sent you a PM with my save data attached!

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Hello friends and slugcats! We present to you patch #1: Rain World v1.01

uXfvAPO.png

This quick patch is intended to accommodate some early player feedback and polish assorted rough edges on the various game systems, etc. These were all low-hanging fruit that we think improves the player experience without taking anything away from the concept of the game. Rain World should be an existential experience: unforgiving and even occasionally unfair. But it should be the jaws of a Lizard that gets you or the Rain, not some ragdoll physics wonk or design oversight!

Gameplay improvements:
* “stuck in holes” fix - disconnected exits will no longer snag you
* subtle backlit slugcat in low visibility swimming situations
* quicker turning around in tunnels
* larger lung capacity while swimming
* nerfed the more intense waterfalls in Shoreline to prevent repeated drownings
* more pearls near Scav tolls in Garbage Wastes
* more food in central Garbage Wastes
* more food in central Shaded Citadel
* more karma flowers in world
* karma gate requirements on the Shaded Citadel, Drainage System and Underhang side were lowered to prevent players becoming stuck in challenging regions
* food / karma flowers regeneration now ticks forward on deaths (helps eliminate stuck / starvation situations at low karma)
* players will now keep map progress between deaths (Id say 99.5% of people asked for this)
* map now features gate karma symbols and shelter icons when locations are discovered
* karma depletion on game exit removed if done within 30 seconds of sleep cycle
* full karma drop on exit bug fixed (that was a brutal one, sheesh!)
* intro cinematic is now skippable by holding start / esc
* for players having issues with Grey Screen of Death and starting the game from sav files, you can now entirely skip loading the into by holding "s" when pressing "New Game." hopefully this helps until we have a real fix!
* many many minor room fixes

Stability improvements:
* map loading bug fixed (was causing the corrupted savs, ugh)
* gate crashing bug fixed
* stability improvements

etc.

Next steps: More patches and content is on the way, of course! We would like to see how this current round of bugfixes land before digging into further issues, as we have a feeling that these might solve a lot of the problems we've seen. But of course if you could keep sending in those bug reports and sav files that would be fantastic and hugely beneficial.

Thanks to all for feedback and please keep it coming! Let's all get through this tedious fixing and tweaking so we can get rolling on the fun stuff: new content!

<3
--Rain World team

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"food / karma flowers regeneration now ticks forward on deaths (helps eliminate stuck / starvation situations at low karma)"

Oh, food was only regenerating on successful hibernation before? That would explain some confusion.

Any word on 120 FPS for PC? Did that just need to be dropped at some point?

Crispy75

Sounds like great stuff :) I'm on my way back to Citadel via Shoreline right now, so will find plenty of that useful!
(I might even be able to stop save scumming!)

Cyanity

Banned

uXfvAPO.png

This quick patch is intended to accommodate some early player feedback and polish assorted rough edges on the various game systems, etc. These were all low-hanging fruit that we think improves the player experience without taking anything away from the concept of the game. Rain World should be an existential experience: unforgiving and even occasionally unfair. But it should be the jaws of a Lizard that gets you or the Rain, not some ragdoll physics wonk or design oversight!

Gameplay improvements:
* “stuck in holes” fix - disconnected exits will no longer snag you
* subtle backlit slugcat in low visibility swimming situations
* quicker turning around in tunnels
* larger lung capacity while swimming
* nerfed the more intense waterfalls in Shoreline to prevent repeated drownings
* more pearls near Scav tolls in Garbage Wastes
* more food in central Garbage Wastes
* more food in central Shaded Citadel
* more karma flowers in world
* karma gate requirements on the Shaded Citadel, Drainage System and Underhang side were lowered to prevent players becoming stuck in challenging regions
* food / karma flowers regeneration now ticks forward on deaths (helps eliminate stuck / starvation situations at low karma)
* players will now keep map progress between deaths (Id say 99.5% of people asked for this)
* map now features gate karma symbols and shelter icons when locations are discovered
* full karma drop on exit bug fixed (that was a brutal one, sheesh!)
* intro cinematic is now skippable by holding start / esc
* for players having issues with Grey Screen of Death and starting the game from sav files, you can now entirely skip loading the into by holding "s" when pressing "New Game." hopefully this helps until we have a real fix!
* many many minor room fixes

Stability improvements:
* map loading bug fixed (was causing the corrupted savs, ugh)
* gate crashing bug fixed
* stability improvements

etc.

Next steps: More patches and content is on the way, of course! We would like to see how this current round of bugfixes land before digging into further issues, as we have a feeling that these might solve a lot of the problems we've seen. But of course if you could keep sending in those bug reports and sav files that would be fantastic and hugely beneficial.

Thanks to all for feedback and please keep it coming! Let's all get through this tedious fixing and tweaking so we can get rolling on the fun stuff: new content!

<3
--Rain World team

Awesome stuff!

Danielsan

Sounds like a great update. I might be part of the 0,5% that doesn't like that the map stays updated after death. I kind of use it to find out where I haven't been yet. If I end up dying on a particularly long run then it might be a bit confusing to have all that progress saved on the map. But hey, I can live with it.

Mostly great stuff. Well done!

eh... while it is better than the current system, ideally you'd be able to implement a system to quit and resume exactly on the same spot, akin to a savestate. Any difficult situation a player could find would still have to be tackled when resumed, so it isnt giving the player an unfair advantage.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Sounds like a great update. I might be part of the 0,5% that doesn't like that the map stays updated after death. I kind of use it to find out where I haven't been yet. If I end up dying on a particularly long run then it might be a bit confusing to have all that progress saved on the map. But hey, I can live with it.

I agree, ofc! I think we'll make that an option in the menu when we do our proper update. But since we're in 7 languages now, localization for any menu changes takes a WHILE, and there was an overwhelming request for this feature from the playerbase for this, so let see how it goes.

hawk2025

I agree, ofc! I think we'll make that an option in the menu when we do our proper update. But since we're in 7 languages now, localization for any menu changes takes a WHILE, and there was an overwhelming request for this feature from the playerbase for this, so let see how it goes.

You can have two "shades" of the map -- one for discovered, one for explored.

Win/win :)

Danielsan

No worries, I fully understand. I think you guys have been great with handling player feedback and getting out a patch this quickly that tackles a lot of that player feedback. Great to hear that you're making it an option in a future update though. :D

Mandelbo

Patch notes are looking great guys, lots of good QoL improvements! I'm not near my PS4 right now, but will the patch roll out to both PC and PS4 simultaneously, or will it arrive later on PS4 (due to certification and such?)

Cyanity

Banned
News regarding 120fps support would be cool. Even just a "we're trying!", or a "sorry, but that feature had to be cut" would be better than nothing.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Any word on 120 FPS for PC? Did that just need to be dropped at some point?

Hasn't been dropped per se! Though that was running on a much smaller world, so we'll see how it goes with the current scope of CPU/shader load when we get a chance to look into it. That said, our immediate priority is going to be to make the game functional for people who are having issues. It would seem pretty decadent if we were spending our time tinkering with ultra high framerates while some Win 7 users still can't get passed the menu! But I promise to keep it in mind!

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Patch notes are looking great guys, lots of good QoL improvements! I'm not near my PS4 right now, but will the patch roll out to both PC and PS4 simultaneously, or will it arrive later on PS4 (due to certification and such?)

VERY good question! The PS4 team are still chasing down some crashing / sav corrupting issues, and once they have that sorted we'll merge it with this v1.01 version and have it out ASAP. It shouldn't be too long, but as you say the Sony cert process is a little time consuming.

I will post as soon as I get official word on timeline for that!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hasn't been dropped per se! Though that was running on a much smaller world, so we'll see how it goes with the current scope of CPU/shader load when we get a chance to look into it. That said, our immediate priority is going to be to make the game functional for people who are having issues. It would seem pretty decadent if we were spending our time tinkering with ultra high framerates while some Win 7 users still can't get passed the menu! But I promise to keep it in mind!

Whew, that's good, thanks. I was starting to worry it might have gotten ruled out for cross-platform reasons. No worries about adding a menu option or anything, just let me know if there's a tag I can add in a config file or something to unlock it. I've got a really high end PC.

docbon

East of Shoreline Spoiler:

Alright, so I finally reached the blue dude chilling with his jellyfish things. What I thought would be an enlightening conversation turned out to be a series of beep boops, along with him shaking whenever i touch his companions. Can I do anything other than eat his jelly friends in front of him like a total monster?

edit: nevermind, I got it~

Mandelbo

...yeah I'm gonna wait until the patch comes out on PS4 until I play anymore of this. I've been stuck in this area since Monday and I'm sick of making no progress. What makes it worse is that I actually did get enough food to rank up, got through to the Canopy and then a vulture got me after I'd reached the end of the section and was backtracking for food. Now I'm back to square one and the bats I got before have gone, so I have to go *further* up the Wall and the camo lizards keep blindsiding me... Having to get two perfect cycles in a row is the kicker, really.

Crispy75

Man oh man, you can't wast any time getting across
Memory Crypts
can you? And as far as I could tell, just one piece of food at the other end before the gate. Stress!

I want to talk about grabbing poles when coming out of ceiling holes:

xtbbdfq.png

There doesn't seem to be any way of grabbing this pole. Either I press up too soon and go back through the hole, or I press it too late and fall all the way down. I've tried dozens of times and I've literally never managed to pull it off, and this is pretty common throughout the game.

Since this is a game that emphasizes caution, it should assume I want to grab the pole on my way out, not go crashing down to the floor.

So uh... you lose karma if you exit the game almost at any time except for a very specific window of time?

What if, I don't know, people have to go to work, or to school, or to take care of the kids, or do anything else than gaming??? Do you really think exiting a game when someone wants is something that deserves extra punishment, apart from losing progress since the last checkpoint?

I think I'm done playing this game until they let us disable the karma gates. I've been stuck in the Industrial Complex for 40 cycles, and I doubt it's going to get any easier. I just get frustrated now.

BigBeauford

I think I'm done playing this game until they let us disable the karma gates. I've been stuck in the Industrial Complex for 40 cycles, and I doubt it's going to get any easier. I just get frustrated now.

I might be right there with you. This two steps backward one step forward approach is frustrating. I love challenging games but this game is making me rage way too hard.

I hear ya but map progress being saved now made my time in Industrial a lot easier, may want to give it another try. Checking the layout frequently helps chart your course too, and the inclusion of adding symbols for hibernation chambers to the map within certain proximity is a boon as well.

I have a problem with punishing the player upon exit/reload not due to death though, lowering karma that way is cheap, esp when running up against bugs that get you stuck in a pipe or not spawning properly after screen transitions. This is debatable but if you manage to make it to a hibernation chamber progress should be saved, not just bumping you back to the previous one if you don't have enough food, kinda makes the whole escaping the rain aspect seem moot. Not expecting karma bump obviously, but a save should take place imo.

I hear ya but map progress being saved now made my time in Industrial a lot easier, may want to give it another try. Checking the layout frequently helps chart your course too, and the inclusion of adding symbols for hibernation chambers to the map within certain proximity is a boon as well.

I have a problem with punishing the player upon exit/reload not due to death though, lowering karma that way is cheap, esp when running up against bugs that get you stuck in a pipe or not spawning properly after screen transitions. This is debatable but if you manage to make it to a hibernation chamber progress should be saved, not just bumping you back to the previous one if you don't have enough food, kinda makes the whole escaping the rain aspect seem moot. Not expecting karma bump obviously, but a save should take place imo.

I have pretty much the entire map for the area memorized, that's not the problem.

It feels like, at this point, I've spent 20% of my time exploring and stuff and 80% doing glorified level grinding. What's worse it that I actually made it to the Garbage Wastes at one point, then got eaten by a Vulture, kicked back to Industrial, and suffered cheap death after cheap death until my karma bottomed out.

Maybe I just suck, but either way I'm not enjoying it anymore.

I have pretty much the entire map for the area memorized, that's not the problem.

It feels like, at this point, I've spent 20% of my time exploring and stuff and 80% doing glorified level grinding. What's worse it that I actually made it to the Garbage Wastes at one point, then got eaten by a Vulture, kicked back to Industrial, and suffered cheap death after cheap death until my karma bottomed out.

Understandable, I reached a similar loop yesterday with getting to Garbage and then getting booted back to Industrial. It'd make things a lot more accessible if we could just save progress at chambers regardless of food supply, again, not karma bump but at least don't make us do so much backtracking. Hopefully the devs consider this as an option for a future patch.

DD

James and Joar, thank you for the patch. Those waterfalls that were effing with me, but now The Shoreline feels amazing. Thank you for this great game and for listening to us.

yeah, also couldn't find a trainer available for it yet. Could always fool around with cheatengine and get the value for +food, then use that to chain sleeps at the nest for rank, but would rather just find a way to keep the karma value locked at max.

So I got thru my second gate at the right of the Industrial Zone but died in the Shady Citadel before I could hibernate and that led to a downward spiral thats left me stuck back in the Industrial Zone with a rock bottom karma level :(

Im wondering if there are any movement options tips anyone can give me and you've found out that arent too spoilery...

So other than basic running, jumping and how the tunnels work the only other stuff i know about is this...

1- the duck and charge long horizontal jump. I didnt quite understand the early tutorial on charging before jumping. Is there a charging vertical jump?

2- wall jumping, this is pretty obvious but ive found areas where i needed to jump back and forth up a narrow vertical area

3- using spears as platforms

4- backflip jump? I did this a couple times today by accident and it seems to lift you higher than a regular jump. Can anyone tell me if there is an input to do this reliably?

Crispy75

To backflip, jump while changing directions (you have to be moving fast already)

If you're falling, press down and left/right to roll when you land. Press jump while rolling to leap out of the roll.

There's a sort of scrabbling "mantling" jump you can do if you can't quite reach the lip of an obstacle. It's like wall jumping, but you don't press a direction, just jump at the right time. I might not fully understand this one.

Ps check out these combat skills:

https://youtu.be/t9sk3qsvQWA

bosseye

I think it finally clicked. I've been banging my head on it for too long, but I finally took on board the advice you guys have been dishing out and started playing like a prey animal; scuttle out of my safe house, explore a bit, feed, then head back before the rain. Cautious and careful and I finally started to rank up, got through my first gate. I mean I'm still in the outskirts so not really anywhere, but it's progress and suddenly I was having fun.

So yeah, not sure why it took so long to ditch the 'push forward for progress' mentality, but hopefully I'll be able to make some careful headway.

All through it so far though, those glorious animations have been a constant high point, wonderful.

To backflip, jump while changing directions (you have to be moving fast already)

If you're falling, press down and left/right to roll when you land. Press jump while rolling to leap out of the roll.

There's a sort of scrabbling "mantling" jump you can do if you can't quite reach the lip of an obstacle. It's like wall jumping, but you don't press a direction, just jump at the right time. I might not fully understand this one.

Ps check out these combat skills:

https://youtu.be/t9sk3qsvQWA
Thanks for the response.

The combat skills on display were pretty impressive. One day ill take down a vulture too. Ive been able to scare one off so far for a moral victory.

Speaking of future plans, what's the timeline for the Mac version?

I think Shoreline is actually my favorite region so far. The mix of different environments above and below ground, the need to use other animals, the new creature types is really fun

Question:
So I made to the Moon alien person, and it seems like I accidently killed her by eating all those glowing insects. Not sure where to go next? I guess you're supposed to go to Shaded Citadel from here, since now you have the glow to help in the dark?

DD

I think Shoreline is actually my favorite region so far. The mix of different environments above and below ground, the need to use other animals, the new creature types is really fun

Question:
So I made to the Moon alien person, and it seems like I accidently killed her by eating all those glowing insects. Not sure where to go next? I guess you're supposed to go to Shaded Citadel from here, since now you have the glow to help in the dark?

I though I would get stuck on the Shoreline, but I actually found an exit moving to
the far left. There's a pipe that drops you at the bottom of the sea, so you have to go up and get some air. You'll see a platform to climb up right, but if I'm not mistaken, to exit the Shoreline you have to ignore that and actually swim to the left and keep going to that direction.

I want to talk about grabbing poles when coming out of ceiling holes:

xtbbdfq.png

There doesn't seem to be any way of grabbing this pole. Either I press up too soon and go back through the hole, or I press it too late and fall all the way down. I've tried dozens of times and I've literally never managed to pull it off, and this is pretty common throughout the game.

Since this is a game that emphasizes caution, it should assume I want to grab the pole on my way out, not go crashing down to the floor.

Yea, that one's a little tough, but you just need to time it. Just keep tapping down until you see a fall and hit up. He will grab it. If he grabbed these automatically, it could disrupt an escape from a lizard, at least that's the reasoning behind it I assume. Would be nice if you could hold jump or something when falling to grab but that might get weird with some of the horizontal jumps that require the little extra 'scramble' up in order to reach.

An easier method is to just keep a pole on you until you reach this spot, throw it after you exit, then you should at least have some place to begin a short wall jump if not outright jump directly to the bottom of the pole.

Cyanity

Banned
yeah, also couldn't find a trainer available for it yet. Could always fool around with cheatengine and get the value for +food, then use that to chain sleeps at the nest for rank, but would rather just find a way to keep the karma value locked at max.

If you're really this desperate for progress, then just start save scumming. Getting through areas still takes skill, but with save scumming you don't have to worry about losing rank on death. There really should just be an easy mode with no rank downs on death (or rank downs every 5 deaths or something)

edit - also, regarding the post above me: aiming for that pipe is pointless. Just drop through the pipe while holding left or right and start wall jumping back up.

Granjinha

Question:

you can See those embryo/glowing things now right? if you touch them they can guide you To the next area

DD

I just noticed that this game went from 'slightly positive' to 'very positive' reviews on Steam. Congrats, Joar and James! I hope this helps boosting the sales numbers.

Could yall please start posting gifs as links? The page is reaching damn near 100mb >__>

If you're really this desperate for progress, then just start save scumming. Getting through areas still takes skill, but with save scumming you don't have to worry about losing rank on death. There really should just be an easy mode with no rank downs on death (or rank downs every 5 deaths or something)

savescumming would entail losing map gains, tho. Not ideal.

oldboss

<3
--Rain World team

Thanks ! :)

My only request for now would be to allow slugcat to aim vertically/diagonally when throwing objects. Is that something you're considering or that you aren't really keen to implement?

Crispy75

Is there a hibernation chamber closer to the
grappling worm
room in the Leg? It feels like a chore climbing up there every time just to get some practice in (and then the rain comes)

Mandelbo

Is there a hibernation chamber closer to the
grappling worm
room in the Leg? It feels like a chore climbing up there every time just to get some practice in (and then the rain comes)

iirc if you go higher up the exterior of the leg, you should be able to find one - there's a room with a tentacle monster and some strong red lighting in it, and I think there's a hibernation chamber connected to it. Will upload a map picture later when I'm on my PS4, if you haven't found it by then.

Top Bottom