• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Crispy75

iirc if you go higher up the exterior of the leg, you should be able to find one - there's a room with a tentacle monster and some strong red lighting in it, and I think there's a hibernation chamber connected to it. Will upload a map picture later when I'm on my PS4, if you haven't found it by then.

I think I know where you mean. The chameleons tend hang out up there so I'll have to be brave!

So i'm planning to get this soon and i'm unsure wether to go at it with mouse and keyboard or a controller. Is it specifically designed for one or the other?

Crispy75

So i'm planning to get this soon and i'm unsure wether to go at it with mouse and keyboard or a controller. Is it specifically designed for one or the other?

It started out as a keyboard game and the devs still play it that way. Personally I prefer a pad, but you should be fine with whichever you feel comfortable with.

KingKong

Really interesting game. I think after the first patch (especially the map change, its way too hard to keep a mental map of a bunch of rooms connected by tunnels) its in a good place but I'm only a little past the first gate

kvothe

Just watched the giant bomb quick look of this, and I'm into it. Should be great streaming to my phone to play. Will likely pick this up when I'm finished with recent titles.

https://youtu.be/SgHpTrNvZPQ

Warning: Brad found it too hard.

Streaming to your phone? Like through PS4 remote play? I don't think it'd work well. The game can already feel a bit sluggish and frustrating without streaming adding additional lag.

Skyzard

Banned
Streaming to your phone? Like through PS4 remote play? I don't think it'd work well. The game can already feel a bit sluggish and frustrating without streaming adding additional lag.

Don't worry, but thanks anyway. details about what I'm using. Will have my 5GHz router by then too.

I prefer playing indies on a handheld, I just get more into them that way for some reason, this looks like it would be a good fit.

Skyzard

Banned
That's a pretty cool streaming solution. You've got me considering it now.

I recommend it! PC library and graphics on a handheld...that you already own :)

-plus retroarch (all in one emulator including n64, ps1 and psp)

-btw only works with nvidia cards (using geforce experience, don't need to download anything on pc)

DD

So, I'm crossing the gate from 'Garbage Wastes' to the 'Drainage System' (to the left), but I'm not only feeling that I'm needlesly going back, but also finding the Drainage System area too difficult, with tons of
leechers and very long underwater corridors
, so I end up drowning all the time. Am I going the wrong way?

So, I'm crossing the gate from 'Garbage Wastes' to the 'Drainage System' (to the left), but I'm not only feeling that I'm needlesly going back, but also finding the Drainage System area too difficult, with tons of
leechers and very long underwater corridors
, so I end up drowning all the time. Am I going the wrong way?
Yeah, I'd head back. There are other easier regions to reach from the Wastes

DD

Yeah, I'd head back. There are other easier regions to reach from the Wastes

Hmm, I've wandered around for a lot of time but only could find a way back to the Industrial Complex and another one to the Drainage System. I got into the Garbage Wastes through the Shoreline. Should I go back there or there is another exit? =o

Hmm, I've wandered around for a lot of time but only could find a way back to the Industrial Complex and another one to the Drainage System. I got into the Garbage Wastes through the Shoreline. Should I go back there or there is another exit? =o
Oh, I thought you were towards the start of the game.

There's an exit in Wastes to
Chimney Canopy

KingKong

Did I miss finding a light source? The hint plant keeps telling me to keep going in
Shaded Citadel but it's basically pitch black

Don't worry, but thanks anyway. details about what I'm using. Will have my 5GHz router by then too.

I prefer playing indies on a handheld, I just get more into them that way for some reason, this looks like it would be a good fit.
Please, do not fill up this thread with your steaming mumbo jumbo! I had enough in the Snake Pass thread.

If there are any more questions about it, please take it to DM or dedicated thread. Thanks

DD

DD:

Go back to Shaded City and go up. You should find Memories Crypts and from there keep going right and up.

Will you really make me go back there? ಥ_ಥ

EDIT: I tried going back to the
Shoreline, and then tgo back to Shaded Citadel, but there was this camp on the way and they were killing me every effing time I tried to cross it, and I couldn't find a damn pearl to offer them. ;( I ended up giving up and got back to the Industrial Complex, and from there I went to the Shaded Citadel. I tried finding ways to go up and up, reaching places I haven't been before, but I couldn't find the way to the Memory Crypts. Then I decided to follow those yellow ghostey things and they showed me a path goind down a bit, and now I've found the Memory Crypts. :D

Skyzard

Banned
Please, do not fill up this thread with your steaming mumbo jumbo! I had enough in the Snake Pass thread.

If there are any more questions about it, please take it to DM or dedicated thread. Thanks

Don't worry, I'll make a separate thread after my 5GHz router lands and I've tested it. Saves me from having to repeat myself with all the questions.

Not sure (pretty good idea though) why your saying it's mumbo jumbo, lol. It's not fake news - check the gifs for youself, it's incredible! and a great way to play games that even I didn't realise just how well until I set it up last week...when I had all the hardware for it sitting there for years.

KingKong

The outside areas in Industrial are so intense it's unbelievable

its crazy how many save points Garbage Wastes has. Couldve used some of those in Drainage System

docbon

Did I miss finding a light source? The hint plant keeps telling me to keep going in
Shaded Citadel but it's basically pitch black

Head to
Shoreline
first

Alternatively, become a heartless monster and drag one of those lantern mice away from its family. When the spiders descend upon you, discard it like a used rag and run through the dark on nothing but pure adrenaline.

That's how I did it. 💪

Crispy75

Waiting on getting this game until stuff I see in reviews gets addressed (needless difficulty), is it better now?
It is better now. There are fewer little frustrations, but unless they add a deliberate Easy Mode that basically discards the karma system, it will always be a brutal game.

Grakl

It is better now. There are fewer little frustrations, but unless they add a deliberate Easy Mode that basically discards the karma system, it will always be a brutal game.
I don't mind brutal, but does that mean unfair? Ofc subjective but still interested

Crispy75

I don't mind brutal, but does that mean unfair? Ofc subjective but still interested
Because the other creatures act on their own, you can come across "unfair" situations. "aw come on, FIVE lizards in one room? Wtf?" But that's kinda the point. It feels unfair if you come at it with a "I must always be progressing" mindset. The aim is survival foremost, which often means avoiding "progress" and even accepting setbacks. There's enough variety and surprise in just the opening few regions to keep you busy for ages, just surviving from day to day and building up your knowledge of the world and its inhabitants.

I finally got this game and I can't get past the first day (after the light "tutorial" hibernation).

I made a huge mistake. I am not prepared.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I keep getting killed when entering new areas via the pipes. Seems like more often than not, there's a creature lingering at the entrance. Sometimes I can turn back, but I'm usually insta grabbed and killed.

I keep getting killed when entering new areas via the pipes. Seems like more often than not, there's a creature lingering at the entrance. Sometimes I can turn back, but I'm usually insta grabbed and killed.
The pipes flash and glow colors if something is lingering by the entrance of a pipe

I finally got this game and I can't get past the first day (after the light "tutorial" hibernation).

I made a huge mistake. I am not prepared.
How are you playing?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The pipes flash and glow colors if something is lingering by the entrance of a pipe

How are you playing?

The colors happen when something is in transit, but I'm not sure I get a warning if something is lingering outside.

I'm in Chimney Canopy now - this place is huge.....

Waiting on getting this game until stuff I see in reviews gets addressed (needless difficulty), is it better now?
The notion of "needless difficulty" has been woefully overblown by reviewers - barring some clarity issues like swimming underwater sans light glow that have been since been alleviated - like with plenty of games that have a degree of challenge or hidden finesse these days.

Certain hardships have been made a little less strict with the recent patch and Rain World is admittedly a game that doesn't pull any punches, but I wouldn't call it unfair. It's just a game where you can't always conquer predicaments by going in guns blazing and at times have to prepare a plan before heading out, by virtue of the slugcat often being prey rather than predator. While you are incredibly fragile, precarious situations can be overcome with canny observations and enemy spawns / behavioural mannerisms aren't nearly as random as they're made out to be. The surprise element of the latter is often telegraphed by sufficient information too so long as you're vigilant and it's worth remembering that if matters become too daunting, it might be better off going elsewhere or hunkering down in your shelter and trying again the next day / cycle to keep your rank intact if you intend to open a locked gate.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Version 1.015 patch notes from Joar:

Hi! Just wanted to let you know what's up in this patch - it's a mini patch really, with just two little tweaks:

Undiscovered symbols can't be seen on the regions screen map any more
Vulture mask is once again back to not being throwable, instead you release it with the down + pick up button command like in v1.0

Also there's a stability improvement that could help with some of the freeze issues on loading save files. All in all, very minor tweaks and no cause for alarm! Working mainly on stability right now, and have some more fixes of that sort coming up.

-Joar

DD

Sometimes I feel this game hates me. AND WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG AT
FIVE PEBLES?!
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit stuck at Chimney Canopy, I found the next gate but food is scarce and there are just too many enemies. I feel like I shouldn't have come here in the first place.

Kansoku

Man, fuck F
ive
P
ebles
. When I got in the area I was "wow, so cool", but when I got to Unfortunate Development things went south quickly. It also doesn't help that my framerate drops quite frequently because of the amount of blue things.

docbon

Man, fuck F
ive
P
ebles
. When I got in the area I was "wow, so cool", but when I got to Unfortunate Development things went south quickly. It also doesn't help that my framerate drops quite frequently because of the amount of blue things.

Yeah, I must have died at least 30 times there. The mechanic for that area was super rough when it came to getting the appropriate angles for jumps.

DD

Man, fuck F
ive
P
ebles

Struggling there too. It's bad when you die so constantly to the blue things when you simply don't have proper control of your character. :/

DD

Jesus Christ,
'Unfortunate Development'
is exactly what the name says. I was okay with unavoidable deaths before, when I at least
had control over my character. But isn't expecting us blindling jumping to a place where there are tentacles of those huge blue monsters crossing the screen when the slugcat floats without control is a bit too much? =/

EDIT: sorry, double post.

Top Bottom