• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I think Halo is absolutely terrible. The world feels generic, the plot seems laughably stupid, the gunplay is weak and it all feels incredibly boring.

THERE! I SAID IT.

I hate NSMBW. I don't care how good the level design is - bad physics ruin the overall package.

Shake to roll in DKCR did not bother me in the least. I've beaten the game 4 times and two of those were 100%. It's so blown out of proportion.

I had zero internet exposure to DKCR prior to playing it last week, despite being a big fan of the SNES games. Shake to roll immediately threw me off, so much so that I haven't gone back to it since beating the second level.

I should, cause the rest of it (in my limited time with it) seemed amazing, but I keep staring at the case knowing I'm going to have to overcome those controls.

Seda

Some other people posted this in the same vein, but I will say that I had a blast with Resident Evil 5, I played the heck out of that game.

Guevara

The only great Valve games are Portal and Portal 2. L4D is can be fun with a good group, but repetitive. The Half Life series just isn't very enjoyable.

Agreed with others on Assassin's Creed. After the first disaster I can't believe anyone bought the later games.

Einhander

I guess this isn't too controversial, but I had a blast playing Infinite Undiscovery. I thought the narrative was interesting and the battle system was engaging. I know people like to knock the game.

Rogue Warrior has the best dialog in this generation.

''Fucking wind is so cold it would freeze the balls off a fucking polar bear.''

On a personal level, I was devastated that Rogue Warrior sucked so bad. I've met Marcinko in real life and think he's an amazing individual (as close to a real superhero you're going to find).

jorgeton

Portal 2 wasn't very good at all.

Agree. Not good enough to pay $60 for.

non-phantasy star MMOs can kiss my ass.

multiplayer has been a scourge on this gen

Tomb Raider Underworld is superior to Uncharted 1 and 2 (have yet to play 3)

Street Fighter 4 (and its various iterations) sucked

Yakuza is better than Shenmue

The Xbox 360 blows, bought one again, regretted it instantly (that dashboard layout is tacky. holy moses. also, fuck the gold membership.)

and I'm out! micdrop.gif.

Giard

Left 4 Dead sucks.
Counter-Strike sucks.
Starcraft is one of the worst RTS games I've ever played.

Age of Empires II is overrated.
Half-Life series is overrated.

I'm probably forgetting something...but for now that's it.

The only great Valve games are Portal and Portal 2. L4D is can be fun with a good group, but repetitive. The Half Life series just isn't very enjoyable.
Add Team Fortress 2 to that list, and I agree with you.

Motion controls are horrible and gimmicky, and I wish they would die. 3D -- glasses or glasses-free -- is awful, as well.

This coming from the guy who has purchased three Wiis and owns (and plays a lot of) a 3DS. :D

Levyne

Banned

Agreed with others on Assassin's Creed. After the first disaster I can't believe anyone bought the later games.

Granted Assassin's Creed 2 was pretty different, though after Assassin's Creed 2-3 I think it's time for a break.

Final Fantasy XIII is my favorite game this gen. Played through it like six times and am still loving it. And yes, I liked the story and characters.

Also FF VIII is my favorite game of all time. Pretty much play through it once a year.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Really? Fine.

Final Fantasy VIII had a better more developed villain than Chrono Trigger.

Kefka had no personality and no motivations. He sucked as bad as Ledger Joker.

Chrono Trigger is boring and massively massively overhyped.

Nobody should play Mario 64 ever since it's Next Generations' greatest game of all time. Don't ruin yourselves for other games people. Avoid Mario 64 like the plague on gaming it is.

16 bit F Zero games sucked.

SNES had a lousy launch.

I do not want voice acting in my RPG's.

Samus had character development prior to Other M. It was superior.

Pooya

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II games are Relic's worst RTS games and they are pretty awful games and those apparently selling better than their other far superior games (cough CoH) makes me sad :(

Hansel

Banned
I dislike:

God of War
Uncharted
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Grand Theft Auto
Assassin's Creed
Infamous
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Brink
Heavy Rain

FFVII is amazing for me up to the point when you leave Midgar. After that I can no longer push myself to keep playing.

Most western RPGs I've ever played have bored me to tears with a lack of truly interesting characters.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm pretty sure he said most controversial opinion not biggest hyperbole.

I wasn't a huge fan of La Noire, but there is no way you can justify this. Not in the same universe that Rogue Warrior, a myriad of shocking comic book film-tie ins, Larry Suite Larry and Pimp My Ride exist.
I would never play the games you mentioned, so I standby my comment. Out of the games that I've played this generation, LA Noire is near the top when it comes to experiences I just couldn't wait to end. Assassin's Creed and the campaign of MW3 are 1 & 2 in my personal rank of horrible, horrible games.

The original Dead Space is also a title that I think is completely void of any fun factor after about the two hour mark.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Portal 2 wasn't very good at all.

i think it was good, but it was a bit too long winded in places and the portal surface thing made it easier to telegraph.

not sure if this is controversial :

Kutaragi was almost right - get a second job, but buy all the consoles. Free your mind! ;)

Raonak

MGS4 is the greatest gaming experience ever.
It was amazing playing that for the first time.

totally serious.

also. FFVIII is the greatest FF(probably greatest RPG)

.Everything about Planescape: Torment is boring including the writing.
.Final Fantasy XII is the worst game in the series and Matsuno only knows how to write bland things outside of Madworld.
.Resident Evil 4 is when everything started to go wrong for the series and 2 is still the best.
.Pokemon Gold/Silver>Red/Blue
.Team Ico games are overrated (though I still feel for the fans after all this Ueda crap).
.Metal Gear Solid 4 has one of the most effective endings in any medium.

Got more, but I think that alone will get me on a few ignore lists, so I'll hold off.

Halo got boring starting with 3.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a technically flawed masterpiece.
Final Fantasy XII is one of the best games in the series.
The World Ends With You is obnoxious.
Metal Gear Solid has a very fun story that people take way too seriously and MGS4 had a very good ending.
Twilight Princess is fantastic and better than Skyward Sword.
Devil May Cry 4 is a great but underrated game.
Resident Evil 4 and 5 are not what I wanted outside of the gameplay.

edit: holy shit cosmic where have you been all my life-- well except about FF12 I guess lol

Halo got boring starting with 3.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a technically flawed masterpiece.
Final Fantasy XII is one of the best games in the series.
The World Ends With You is obnoxious.
Metal Gear Solid has a very fun story that people take way too seriously and MGS4 had a very good ending.
Twilight Princess is fantastic and better than Skyward Sword.
Devil May Cry 4 is a great but underrated game.
Resident Evil 4 and 5 are not what I wanted outside of the gameplay.

edit: holy shit cosmic where have you been all my life-- well except about FF12 I guess lol

lol, I think we've actually talked about how we have similar tastes (for the most part) in IRC before.

Skyrim doesn't deserve it's praise. Nothing about the act of playing the game is fun outside of how big the world is and the randomness of events that can happen. Progression is boring fetch quests with crap dialogue or bad combat. The game can be addictive, but it's not actually good.

Goddamn hated Mass Effect 1 and loved Mass Effect 2.
Thought Borderlands was meh.
Braid is a pretentious piece of shit and its message is condescending and ridiculous.
Bastion is fun but nothing new.
BioShock 2's choices have more impact than The Witcher 2.
Impossible Creatures was an amazing game.

Got more, but I think that alone will get me on a few ignore lists, so I'll hold off.
"Rage! Rage! Show me your Rage"

d1f4b99e.jpg

rpmurphy

I like playing Capcom fighters as much as the next person, but I think that a good chunk of its control designs are rather sucky. When the game plays better with keyboard WASD than an arcade stick, something's not quite right.

The aliens from the original Crysis (and their attack drones) have the best visual concept for an alien race of any video game.
As a matter of fact, Crytek has such a good team of artist that barely any other studio can design the same level of realistic yet futuristic-looking weapons, props, and of course power-suits.

Christine

heh. maybe you should try getting some taste instead of being brainwashed by popular game marketing or nostalgia, plebe. *flicks cig @ u, rides off on scooter*

At least you didn't accuse me of being part of the "hivemind". It's not as if opinions get any less valid due to being commonly shared. It's also possible to think that a game for which one has fond memories legitimately holds up as a fun experience, even when compared to current games.

I guess that's what happens when you've got to try so hard to be different that you like things just because they're less popular.

Raonak

I appreciate a cinematic game more than a fun game.

It leaves a bigger impact on me. MGS4, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, some of my favourite games of this gen.

I feel like the God of War franchise is just terrible. In particular, Kratos makes me feel miserable. I think I'm done buying GoW just for the nice console graphics.

Sony's first/second party line-up is kind of bland. I think some people mistake quantity/variety for quality when comparing Sony's exclusives to Microsoft's and Nintendo's finest. Nothing Sony makes feels as iconic to me as Mario, Zelda, Halo or even Gears of War.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are both, equally great games.

Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine are slightly better than the Galaxy games. Yeah, I said it. I know I'm crazy.

I found Portal 2 to be fairly boring and was not able to play it for more than an hour and I adored the original Portal.

I think Melty Blood is the greatest fighting game to grace this universe

I enjoyed Majora's Mask far more than Ocarina of Time

Card Boy

Banned
Excellent thread.

I think:

* Giantbomb is a shit website

* I think Half-Life 1 is worth a 6 out of 10 at best and Half Life 2 is worth a 7 at best. Overhyped by the internet.

* Team Fortress 2 again another overhyped game. Worth a 6.5 out of 10 at best.

* Portal is overhyped aswell

* I only like the L4D, Alien Swarm & Counter-Strike Valve Shooter offerings

* Patcher is a really cool guy

* There should be no runes/masteries/summoner spells in LoL

* Super Meat Boy is better than Mario

* Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe is a good game

* Mount and Blade is shit

-Resident Evil 2 is the worst mainline Resident Evil. Even worse than Zero.
-Banjo Tooie is the best 3D platformer ever.
-Final Fantasy isn't very good. Any of them.
-Ratchet and Clank, Jak, and Spyro aren't fun.
-Deus Ex is severely overrated.
-Super Meat Boy is nothing more than average.
-PS1 is the most overrated console.

Top Bottom