• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Newk86

The Final Fantasy VII Remake should not be a thing and I resent that the public demand for it is so big. It's been over a decade and Square Enix are yet to create a Final Fantasy game with even the same scope, let alone the same quality of their earlier PS1 titles in the series. That's three console generations later. I have no confidence whatsoever that they have the competency to do the game justice and recreate everything in its entirety on modern hardware like I think the project deserves. The very fact that they're going to release the game 'episodically' I think speaks to this, and I have absolutely no desire to play the finished product. I think the whole exercise is a waste of resources because, while the modern games don't stack up in my opinion, there are still a few things to like and the signs are getting better.

Basically it's my belief that SE would be much better off putting their full efforts into the next instalment of FF instead, and improving upon the formula that they've got going for themselves nowadays than going back to the past and trying to make those games fit it instead. Yes, diverting resources from elsewhere might not necessarily mean that the next FF will suffer. But I legitimately believe that the Remake will suffer by not receiving absolute full attention/budget and that is the only way for it to succeed properly going off SE recent history. TL;DR, I don't trust modern SE, and the road for them should have been continuing to improve the quality of their newer games to the point that people (and themselves) can be confident that they know what makes a good game still, before pulling one apart.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake should not be a thing and I resent that the public demand for it is so big. It's been over a decade and Square Enix are yet to create a Final Fantasy game with even the same scope, let alone the same quality of their earlier PS1 titles in the series. That's three console generations later. I have no confidence whatsoever that they have the competency to do the game justice and recreate everything in its entirety on modern hardware like I think the project deserves. The very fact that they're going to release the game 'episodically' I think speaks to this, and I have absolutely no desire to play the finished product. I think the whole exercise is a waste of resources because, while the modern games don't stack up in my opinion, there are still a few things to like and the signs are getting better.

Basically it's my belief that SE would be much better off putting their full efforts into the next instalment of FF instead, and improving upon the formula that they've got going for themselves nowadays than going back to the past and trying to make those games fit it instead. Yes, diverting resources from elsewhere might not necessarily mean that the next FF will suffer. But I legitimately believe that the Remake will suffer by not receiving absolute full attention/budget and that is the only way for it to succeed properly going off SE recent history. TL;DR, I don't trust modern SE, and the road for them should have been continuing to improve the quality of their newer games to the point that people (and themselves) can be confident that they know what makes a good game still, before pulling one apart.
good post and I agree with a lot of this. I also feel it’s a damn shame we’re getting less and less mainline FF titles each gen. Are we really only getting 15 this gen?

OH-MyCar

That nailed it. SquareEnix has been in "We're off the drugs and will be able to pay the rent next month" mode since 2006 with that franchise. FF13, FF14, FF14 (again), FF15... Over a decade of troubled development and excuses. I even remember when they said they couldn't program towns in HD for FF13.

Now they're spreading themselves thin yet again when they've not even proven they can produce a single game that lives up to their PS1 or PS2 output with all of their focus.

Mr Hyde

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is the best Souls-game. I´m not counting Bloodborne here as I think it is a whole other beast. But when it comes to the Souls-series, number 2 comes out as the clear champion for me. From the sun soaked Majula with its soothing hymns to the majestic wonders of Drangleic castle this game had it all. It had a fantastic sense of adventure and embarking on a quest through the dead and dreary world of Dark Souls 2 was an epic journey I´ll never forget. The build variety was great, with so many fun weapons, magic and armor to choose from. It had a lot of nice areas, and I actually liked the incoherence of it as it added to the overall themes the game presented, with time distortion and Drangleic being formed and molded to an unrecognizable mess. Some of the areas were also really beautiful, with Shrine of Amana, Dragon Aerie, Shulva City and Eleum Loyce showing off some graphical prowess and admirable art design.

The bosses were really good too. You had the creepy singer songwriter Demon of Song, the crazy wild ride with Executioner´s Chariot, the twisted nightmarish Darklurker, honourable duelist Sir Alonne, the burnt to a crisp Ivory King and many more. Sure it had its fair share of forgettable ones, but those that stood out managed to hold their own as some of the best in the series. Add to that improved online mechanics and PvP, 60 fps, new lore, enemies and bosses, item replacement and a three piece ten out of ten DLC and you got yourself a winner. Fromsoft really delivered the goods with Scholar of the First Sin, ramping up the base game to a whole new level. I fucking love this game.

Hideo Kojima is gaming's palate cleanser. The man deserves to be in the hall of fame of gaming. Even if you don't play his games, he will still give you insight into modern day society, critical thinking, diversity, and creativity. He works hard at adding to the medium. I believe his talents hold a bright torch that people take for granted.

Listen to the intro to Metal Gear Solid on PS1 if you don't believe me.

He is the father of military science fiction in the 21st century.

Last edited:
This is gonna be a bit of a weird one.

My favourite genre of games is racing. A genre, which unfortunately has dropped off severly coming into this generation. Midnight Club, Project Gotham Racing, Burnout, etc have disappeared, while Need for Speed and Gran Turismo are way past their prime.

So, I actually really like the fact that Microsoft reveals a new car alongside each motorsport game, like ford gt with forza 6 and last E3 with Porsche 911 GT2 RS with forza 7. As a car buff that was very nice to see. For all their shortcomings this gen, Microsoft are one of the only ones to still value the racing genre.

I hope we see another car on stage, come Sunday.

JCK75

I enjoy the gameplay enough, it's the writing, story, characters and ridiculousness of all of those that turns me off so greatly.

Jigsaah

After finishing God of War...I don't believe it was a 10/10. I felt the game was lacking enough compelling characters, I did not like how everything was a puzzle. I was hoping for more in the ways of side quest content with actual mini bosses...not just the same ogre or high level version of those insect guys. I was thinking more in the vein of Dark Souls or Bloodborne where there would be a major mini boss fight that wasn't required to finish the game. The Valkyries were only slightly different from one another. The idea that there's not any content updates planned for this kinda left me scratching my head as well.

I gave it an 8.5.

Last edited:

PhineBuyM3

My controversial opinion is that I think Spider-Man 2 the movie game was trash. Absolute trash.

I'm a huge Spidey fan, I played and enjoyed the PSX games and the first Spider-Man movie game. They were like the prototype Arkham Asylum game before Rocksteady refined the experience.

I remember the glowing reviews, which I now look back on in disdain, and finally being able to play it borrowing it from my cousin who was loving it. After finishing the game I felt hollow.

Literally the only thing good about it was the web swinging, but everything else was garbage in comparison to its predecessors. I couldn't believe that Treyarch would throw away the entire formula just like that.

I later played Ultimate Spider-Man when it came out which was a significant improvement, but I still missed the old style. Haven't played a Spider-Man game since...

Maybe Insomniac will change my mind.
I thought Spider-Man 2 was trash the moment I played it back in 04, it was my first time playing an open world game so the whole time I'm thinking to myself " where are the god damn levels?
zsLn0no.png
" Swinging around the city was fun for a few minutes but I wanted something like the rooftop chase from Spider-Man 1 or the Vulture fight from the movie game.

Spider-Man 1,2 on PS1 and the first movie game are still the best Spidey games to me.

SaucyJack

Pokemon is the most boring RPG known to man. It's like they've taken out all the elements that make an RPG fun and left only the grind. I truly don't understand it's popularity.

MilkyJoe

Pokemon is the most boring RPG known to man. It's like they've taken out all the elements that make an RPG fun and left only the grind. I truly don't understand it's popularity.

I've still no idea what Pokemon is all about and I plan to keep it that way.

Fuz

Fuck cloud gaming, anyone who try to push it and anyone who support it.

"Gaming as a service" is THE scourge on the gaming medium.

Zog

Banned
Turn Based Combat can exist, but it shouldn't be paired with Random Encounters anymore.
You know what's worse than random encounters? Leaving and re-entering a loading zone to make enemies respawn while you are trying to grind.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You know what's worse than random encounters? Leaving and re-entering a loading zone to make enemies respawn while you are trying to grind.
What about a menu toggle for random encounters? Solves all problems. Wasn’t there a recent game that did this? One of the Etrian Odysseys maybe?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What about a menu toggle for random encounters? Solves all problems. Wasn’t there a recent game that did this? One of the Etrian Odysseys maybe?
I believe Bravely Default this. There is slider to increase and decrease or even completely stops random encounter.

Before the Storm is unnecessary fan service created to milk money out of those who can't cope with the reality of the original game's true ending. Even dotnod said they weren't interested in doing anything else with Max and Chloe after the first game. I'm going to boycott it forever.

Hanon

Banned
i feel there was a massive conspiracy from the previous console gen, that japanese devs were sabotaged from outside sources. and i think that *bleep* was responsible for it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Before the Storm is unnecessary fan service created to milk money out of those who can't cope with the reality of the original game's true ending. Even dotnod said they weren't interested in doing anything else with Max and Chloe after the first game. I'm going to boycott it forever.

Totally agreed.

Captain spirit is totally Bullshi..... bip

elarma42

Neo Member
Half Life 1 was a dull plodding shooter with boring unimaginative levels, forgettable enemies and a cliched stortyline that could have been written by a 14 year old sci-fi geek. I hated it.
...It's a 90's FPS, why the fuck are you expecting the story to be something they gave a shit about?

In the past 5 years or so, all of the bullshit practices in the video games industries came directly from MP games and Mobile games to infect the rest. Fans of these MP game will spin til their nose bleeds to defend these shitty practices because they think it helps their franchise of choice. It doesn't. It gives the pubs and devs a blank check to try more shit.

Want to help the games you love doing some shadey shit? Hold them accountable. In the long run, they will come back to keep you and others as customers.

Last edited:

Durask

1. I don't like pixel art, if I want to play NES/SNES/Genesis games I'll just start my emulator. People just make pixelated games because it is too hard to make high res 2D art.
2. I don't think FF6 was all that great, it was a good game and I enjoyed it but not even close to being great.

KevinKeene

Banned
The PS4/X1/Wii U-gen is the most fotgettable generation of consoles ever.

Switch/PS5/X2 will completely obliterate with BotW2, TES6 (Skyrim is 5, right?), GTA6, FF7 Remake, a new ambitious Ubisoft-ip (on top of Beyond Good and Evil 2), MonolithSoft's action-rpg, SMT5, FromSoftware's scifi-Souls, Mass Effect 4, Half-Life 3, and so on.

Meanwhile this gen will be faintly remembered for Bloodborne, Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3. Wii U will be entirely erased from gamers' collective concsiousness once Xenoblade X is ported to Switch.

At least the Switch/PS5/X2 generation will be really great.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
2. I don't think FF6 was all that great, it was a good game and I enjoyed it but not even close to being great.
When did you play it all the way through for the first time?

I recently played it to completion for the first time and I thought it was a really good RPG, but a tiny bit of a letdown after seeing all the praise for decades. But, I put it down to the timing. I assume in 1994 it would have felt revolutionary.

Durask

When did you play it all the way through for the first time?

I recently played it to completion for the first time and I thought it was a really good RPG, but a tiny bit of a letdown after seeing all the praise for decades. But, I put it down to the timing. I assume in 1994 it would have felt revolutionary.

A couple of years after it came out in the West. I actually played FF4/FF2 right before FF6/3 and liked FF4 a bit better. Right after that I played FF7 and I thought it utterly obliterated the SNES games, now FF7 that did feel revolutionary to me.

Out of the three racing studios Sony had, they kept the wrong one. Polyphony Digital needs a major shakeup, and Sony needs to restrict some of the free reign Kaz Yamauchi has, and put more pressure on them. They spent four years on game that launched with barely any content. The series is a shadow of it's former self, and way past it's prime, which was GT4.

xwez

Banned
Resident Evil 6 isn't that bad. Better than RE7 imo. Had it got rid of the overpowered melee attacks, rail-shooter segments, and QTE's, it would have got a lot less criticism. I think it was just a bit too grandiose for a lot of people, which probably put them off.

brian0057

Metal Gear is a terrible stealth series made by one of the biggest hacks in the industry.

Naughty Dog hasn't made a decent game since their last Crash Bandicoot.

Fallout 3 > Fallout: New Vegas.

Every game made by Arkane Studios is just a poor ripoffs of the masterpieces made by Looking Glass Studios.

Cyberpunk 2077 will never be as good as Deus Ex (including the new ones), just as The Witcher (all of them) is not as good as Dragon Age: Origins.

Apokalyte

Neo Member
Is it controversial to suggest that the design of MMORPG’s and mobile phone APP based games have affected feelings towards console gaming?

Consider the following; due to the fact that most console games can be considered ‘complete’ or ‘finished’ by the player with a set amount of gameplay and story within a certain number of hours, there is a clear beginning and end.
MMORPG’s in general are not designed to end. Get bored? Here’s another update. In your mind you are already rule 34ing that offensively attractive alien species and for some reason you are not at all shocked your daydream producing self-insert is a world saving gender bent alternate species who’s main goal apart from ripping apart baddies is collecting revealing clothing. Everyone else is better than you at killing baddies and killing you, play harder and maybe you can beat those people who are still playing harder than you. Keep playing until you realise you grew a neck beard and quit.

Mobile APP’s with energy, updates and gatcha. Often have something they advertise as an ‘epic and engaging story’ which is really just:
A thousand years ago demons appeared. They fought humans/elves/feminism until a group of heroes came and sealed them. Now the demons are back. Forget all the current armies banding together, it’s up to this 12 year old sword wielding village boy and a 16 year old healer girl who is definitely not or definitely maybe the human embodiment of a goddess to journey through random lands aimlessly until they meet a flirty nine-tailed fox lady and a cheeky fake Pokémon. Finished roaming aimlessly? Repeat the same lands three times at rising difficulty levels and fight against other likeminded heroic groups trying to save the world to gain some kind of not main currency. New updates whenever until one day developers can’t be bothered offering you boob dragons and tit witches to drain your bank account and give you a week’s notice before servers are shut down. Just kidding, the western developers were only pretending to be developers, all they did was translate patches and characters from a Korean version they were convinced nobody knew about, and now the Korean licence ran out and they wanted too much money to renew.

Compare these two opinions with my experience playing Zack and Wiki and Skyward Sword on the Nintendo Wii.

Zack and Wiki - I was super excited to play this after positive reviews and trailer movies. I purchased the game on a lovely Saturday morning at 9:20am, got home and played it. Played it and finished the game before 1:30pm. Without a guide or walkthrough.
The game knew it had a ridiculously short play time so they tried to partially cover it up with a patronising ‘play the whole game again with no differences except this time the skeleton pirate treasure guy will be gold instead of silver yes we are ashamed so sorry please understand.’
I took the game back to the shop with the receipt and told them it was a present for my brother’s birthday and someone else got him the same game, full refund no questions asked.

Another similar story that pains me more; the wait for the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. Specifically, waiting 5 years for a new Zelda game only to finish it in a single long weekend. Sure, maybe I shouldn’t have played it for ten hours on a Saturday and another ten on the Sunday. The game had incredible reviews on release, but when I was playing it I was thinking;

• Oh awesome, this boss again. And again. And again.
  • Oh awesome, this level again. And again. And again.
  • Wait, there are only three levels and a hub world?
  • Flying is pointless, the sky has nothing.

Finally, I made it to the water dragon. You need water, got it. This is absolutely not pointless padding. Let’s go find the water dragon some water otherwise the water dragon can’t water. Later on, the water dragon does water by itself and everything is water. Water dragon was just testing my water finding abilities. I think I passed. Please test me again later, water dragon. Water dragon is happy to comply; water dragon knows a water song, go collect shit, whatever. Water dragon only sings water songs to people who are pissed off with pointless fetch quests.

There are a handful of NPC’s and I don’t give a crap about any of them. A friend told me when you finish the game you can do a play through as Groose with the triforce of power, and he had a battle axe like an iron knuckle. I didn’t believe it, this is the same Nintendo that doesn’t let me do Luigi. The final disappointing poo nugget cherry on the cake.

Compare these issues to MMORPG’s and APP’s where there may be thousands of NPC’s, hundreds of levels, loads to do, stuff everywhere, loads of bosses, with the promise of more of everything to come.
But these games take time, my time. I value the shit out of my time. I have to give my full attention to my work and go to my wife to make money. I know I can’t spend too long on games, so I don’t play MMORPG’s or mobile APP’s. I also can’t be bothered getting hyped for years waiting for new console games only to finish them in a weekend and commence a new five year wait. So when Zelda breath of the wild was released and it’s a console game that can take up a lot of time, I just can’t be bothered, I have better things to do.

So you have people on NeoGAF who prefer games that you can finish in 15 hours. You have amateur indie game developers on other forums who based on their own gaming experiences are convinced their RPG game involving a half demon village boy who is definitely not their self-insert who meets a ninja girl with a Japanese name who is definitely not based on the cute Asian girl in class needs to be an 80 hour long grind. It NEEDS to be.

TLDR: My controversial gaming opinion is that MMORPG’s and mobile APP gaming have subconsciously rooted within gamers minds the principle that games can be an immersive and infinite experience with a carrot and stick approach; and this effects the enjoyment of console games that have a shorter completion time. Players may not find a constant, imaginative, immersive existence within games completed over a weekend. Gamers affected by this conundrum may not be able to gain satisfaction with any length of game as there will be specific negative outcomes either way.

Bonus controversy points: Chinese artists have zero imagination. Purchase a 100% unique character database for a game to be offered Dark Ranger Savannah, Chieftain Throll, Archmage Lady Jamesy Proudmare plus an assortment of other random characters that are extremely familiar, most likely from other similar mobile apps. Also, Monkey King. There must always be a Monkey King.

Nintendo would make much better games if they weren’t so arrogant. When you remake a game add important stuff. Like letting me play as a Gerudo warrior who collects iron knuckle armour pieces and increase the enemy count by ten. Locked door in a dungeon? *Spartan Kick*. Ganondorf wants to know if she can really handle the triforce of power. Let’s hear him ask again when he is bent over and she gets out the hookshot.

All PC originates from feminism. ALL of it. Relates to motherly protection of people that are disadvantaged. Equality and Equity for people that are perceived as weaker, regardless of whether they are or not. Bland, monotonous and misplaced aggression against whoever is perceived to be the strongest. Not that it matters much in gaming, if you don't want to play Vegan Certified Haircare: Genderfluid Minority Edition then just don't buy it.

Also finally - my whole life I have wanted to be a cardboard robot, but not like this. Not like this, Nintendo.

Top Bottom