• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Bakkus

Shovel Knight's status both as a game and character is completely unwarranted. It's basically being treated as the second coming of indie games and indie characters. Time is not gonna look back fondly at all the gushing about this character being playable and having cameos in so many different games and even as an assist trophy in the Smash Bros series. Mark my words.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox One controller is garbage. The triggers are spongy as fuck.

1. I don't like pixel art, if I want to play NES/SNES/Genesis games I'll just start my emulator.

Can emulation change the aspect ratio of the old games without looking stretched? No. Those games need to be remade in order to display more pixels on an HD screen.

People just make pixelated games because it is too hard to make high res 2D art.

Quite the contrary, as you can easily draw a character with all the details on paper and scan it as an HD sprite, while pixel art requires the artist to meticulously design the sprite on a per pixel basis so that it appears recognizable on the screen. Pixel art is a painstaking process.

Anyway, ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Sony games are the equivalent of Michael Bay movies. Short bang for the buck with little reason to ever see it twice and generally a colossal waste of money. Every one follows the same formula. Unoriginal. Played one, played them all. Tries to be "edgy", but often just following whatever social justice topic that's trending at the time.

Shining Force 3... kind of sucks, unfortunately. It was a terrible choice to go with Motoi Sakuraba (at least circa the 90s when he was using that specific set of instruments). It should have had some sort of advanced YM synth (?) soundtrack that really took advantage of the Saturn sound chip - something energetic to build on the excellent soundtrack of the original game. Every time I hear Shining Force 3, I start thinking about Star Ocean 2, another game I loathe.

Even worse is it should have been lush 2d, but I understand that would have been exponentially more costly in a time when people's tastes had gone down the drain. The OG Shining Force actually looks better than the Saturn game (see: the large, beautiful hand-drawn figures when it cuts to a battle scene), which is a travesty.

Last edited:
After its announcement for Nintendo Switch I feel the urge to say that Gone Home is a really boring and shallow experience who let me down A LOT.
Even if this is just common sense to me I think it can be listed as "controversial opinion" thanks to all the praise the game received online.

Nymphae

Banned
good post and I agree with a lot of this. I also feel it’s a damn shame we’re getting less and less mainline FF titles each gen. Are we really only getting 15 this gen?

I mean, that's the way it is now folks.

We got 3 fucking GTA's on PS2 > 1 with substantial single player DLC on PS3, 1 without > re-release for PS4
4 Burnout games on PS2 > 1 amazing one for PS3 > re-release that shit on PS4.
2 amazing Gran Turismo games PS1> 2 for PS2> 2 for PS3, aaaand 1 embarrassing game for PS4.
3 classic mainline FF games on PS1, FF Tactics (and other collections, chronic trigger)> 3 great mainline FFs for PS2 (and others like X-2) > 3 on PS3 (13 and its sequels)> 1 game on PS4

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
The most comprehensive Jedi Simulator is Jedi Outcast. Even though I enjoyed the Force Unleashed, it pales in comparison to the abilities and level design presented in Outcast.

Horizon Zero Dawn is nothing more than feminist propaganda with a female main character so ugly she is simply unlikeable. The game itself was cookie cutter garbage.

The best game on the PS4 is Nioh. God of War had some of the dullest and repetitive combat in the entire series.

Sony and Nintento are just as anti consumer as Microsoft.

Shenmue 2 is absolute shit. If I wanted a tedious job I would actually go to work.

Resistance Fall of Man is one of the most underrated FPS games ever made. Resistance 2 and 3 are shit.

I absolutely detest the prioritization of zombies in COD games over survival. Modern Warfare 3 has the best survival mode of any FPS.

Daxter32jak

Metal Gear is a terrible stealth series made by one of the biggest hacks in the industry.

Naughty Dog hasn't made a decent game since their last Crash Bandicoot.

Fallout 3 > Fallout: New Vegas.

Every game made by Arkane Studios is just a poor ripoffs of the masterpieces made by Looking Glass Studios.

Cyberpunk 2077 will never be as good as Deus Ex (including the new ones), just as The Witcher (all of them) is not as good as Dragon Age: Origins.

Haha this is edgy stuff. And I absolutely agree that Naughty Dog’s last good game was Crash bandicoot

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sony games are the equivalent of Michael Bay movies. Short bang for the buck with little reason to ever see it twice and generally a colossal waste of money. Every one follows the same formula. Unoriginal. Played one, played them all. Tries to be "edgy", but often just following whatever social justice topic that's trending at the time.
Like the exclusives or the western AAA stuff? Because I agree for the most part on the western front.

Gaming "controversial" opinion

Kingdom Hearts is too cringe to play for me. The characters have always looked bad, the story is straight outta a bad manga and the disney characters look horrible next to the original KH characters.

Towers suck

dats it

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
PlayStation exclusives are incredibly overrated.

I always hated the Half-Life series.

I never understood why Sony gets a pass for being extremely anti consumer.

hecatomb

Banned
GTA games are over rated
Halo games are over rated
MGS games are over rated
Like Dragon quest rpgs more then FF series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of Xbox fans on here are incredibly sensitive if you say anything not 100% positive about the Xbox One, Microsoft or Phil Spencer. It's quite something...

Also some of them are so paranoid they even whine to mods at the start of threads looking for them for help in silencing people.

voidenberg

Warframe is not a good game. Devs reach for every penny in your wallet. Boss fights are badly designed and unintuitive.
Quests and writing are terrible. The oh so praised second dream quest was underwhelming to say the least.

There's an over reliance on third party websites (wiki) to be able to understand many of the obtuse mechanics.
Archwing missions are awful. And they keep finding ways to make it even worse. Hate archwing? What about archwing+interception? Or archwing+stealth?
There's an insane amount of grind behind everything to bloat playtime and try to force you to buy boosters.
Devs keep adding stuff no one asked for just to push more microtransactions.

It lacks polish. Some bugs have been around for years. When you backstab some enemies they shrink? wtf

And the community, my god. "I've been playing for 100s of hours and i don't understand anything yet. Yay!" or "Can't believe this game is free. I've spent 2 thousand dollars already!"

I like the visuals, movement and warframe abilites. But i find myself more and more questioning why am i still playing.

subtropisch

Neo Member
Shadow of the Colossus is the only Team Ico game that is even remotely good (it is very good though). All other games fail in basically every way, especially Ico itself.

Skyrim > Witcher 3
Tomb Raider (reboot series) > uncharted
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is the best game in the series.
Pokemon: Ultra Sun and Moon are second best games in the series, only behind Platinum

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can you elaborate on this incorrect opinion? :D

Just curious why you say that about Ico.
I actually replayed ICO recently on my PS3 and I thought it was going feel outdated but I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the puzzles and level designs.

Nymphae

Banned
I actually replayed ICO recently on my PS3 and I thought it was going feel outdated but I'm surprised how much I enjoyed the puzzles and level designs.
Yeah I think it holds up great, though the once mindblowing graphics have taken a bit of a hit with age. Still a very unique look though. And for my money, the story was way more satisfying than SoC (though both are great.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah I think it holds up great, though the once mindblowing graphics have taken a bit of a hit with age. Still a very unique look though. And for my money, the story was way more satisfying than SoC (though both are great.)
Yeah that was my biggest surprise!! I really like SotC's story but yeah, ICO's story felt much more satisfying somehow. I especially like the relationship between Ico and Yorda and the way they try communicate with each other even with language barrier.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah that was my biggest surprise!! I really like SotC's story but yeah, ICO's story felt much more satisfying somehow. I especially like the relationship between Ico and Yorda and the way they try communicate with each other even with language barrier.

Same, I really enjoy the twist in SoC, and it's ultimately a fairly touching tale, with some incredibly impactful and memorable moments. But I just really enjoy the interactions between Ico and Yorda so much. You feel like you really struggled through something with her, while SoC is such a solitary experience (whiich has its merits for sure.)

But I think the ending of Ico is what makes it my favourite - (some spoilers here) the part where the tables have turned and Yorda has to save you from falling, but is forced to let go of your hand as her mother overtakes her, is so gut wrenching. Then you wake up far below the castle and make an epic climb into the Queen's chamber for one last amazing battle. Then the bittersweet feelings as ghost Yorda saves your life by pushing you away in the boat while remaining behind. And then the after credits sequence where he finds her on the beach - I just love it all. It's a great fairy tale ending and I love that.

Also, I just love Ico's voice. The way he says "Ompa!" when calling Yorda just sounds great lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Same, I really enjoy the twist in SoC, and it's ultimately a fairly touching tale, with some incredibly impactful and memorable moments. But I just really enjoy the interactions between Ico and Yorda so much. You feel like you really struggled through something with her, while SoC is such a solitary experience (whiich has its merits for sure.)

But I think the ending of Ico is what makes it my favourite - (some spoilers here) the part where the tables have turned and Yorda has to save you from falling, but is forced to let go of your hand as her mother overtakes her, is so gut wrenching. Then you wake up far below the castle and make an epic climb into the Queen's chamber for one last amazing battle. Then the bittersweet feelings as ghost Yorda saves your life by pushing you away in the boat while remaining behind. And then the after credits sequence where he finds her on the beach - I just love it all. It's a great fairy tale ending and I love that.

Also, I just love Ico's voice. The way he says "Ompa!" when calling Yorda just sounds great lol.
I actually got really emotional in that part.:messenger_loudly_crying: Yeah ICO had beautiful and bittersweet story.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I actually got really emotional in that part.:messenger_loudly_crying: Yeah ICO had beautiful and bittersweet story.

It's so good! I haven't finished Last Guardian, but I read a story summary, and I love Ico because it seems to be the most straight up happy ending of all their games. Good prevails and the prince and princess live happily ever after :D

subtropisch

Neo Member
Can you elaborate on this incorrect opinion? :D

Just curious why you say that about Ico.
This is difficult to me as for me, almost everything about Ico is bad (same for the last guardian to a lesser degree). Controls, camera, puzzles, level design, even just game feel it's hard to describe, but these games excluding SotC bore me to death. Like even staring at a wall would be less boring.

The vast majority of Japanese games suck. They have gameplay that tend to be a generation or two behind everything else. This is without mentioning all the cringe weeb anime shit.

lock2k

Banned
God of War is boring. Although I admit I'm curious to play the new one. But the old ones are really boring to me. Onimusha was way better.

Nymphae

Banned
This is difficult to me as for me, almost everything about Ico is bad (same for the last guardian to a lesser degree). Controls, camera, puzzles, level design, even just game feel it's hard to describe, but these games excluding SotC bore me to death. Like even staring at a wall would be less boring.

Wow, different strokes I guess.

Firewatch didn't have 1 redeeming quality. The game was broken up into days making it difficult to create any momentum when playing or immersing yourself in the world. The world was not as interactive as I would have liked. The radio chatter in story mode was incredibly annoying and did nothing for me. The animations were basic, the jump animation looked like Heavy in TF2 but at an alpha stage. The main story was boring...

Nymphae

Banned
God of War 2018 is really, really boring.

I hated it after finishing it. I felt like the only one until I traded it in at EB and the girl said "What did you think?" I gave her a meh because I didn't want to get too into it, and she was like thank god someone else doesn't get what the big deal is. We agreed 3 is a superior game. I really do not understand the ridiculous praise. It's good, sure, but not my thing at all and not what I wanted from the next GoW. The world felt like it was inhabited by maybe 5 people max. Looking forward to DMC5.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The vast majority of Japanese games suck. They have gameplay that tend to be a generation or two behind everything else. This is without mentioning all the cringe weeb anime shit.
Not liking the gameplay doesn't mean its outdated. I personally prefer the Turn based combat in Persona/SMT and Octopath over games like Witcher 3 and AC games.

Foxbat

Banned
Sony's first party studios share too much tech, tool sets, direction, etc....

It results in many of their games looking and playing too similar to one another. While some vary from others to a certain degree, they all share too many similarities.

My controversial opinion is that like everything else, the general publics tastes change. At some point next gen, Single player cinematic games like Sony's studios create are going to fall out of favor to a large portion of the gaming community.

Iaterain

Filip Miucin shouldn't be fired from IGN. IGN was acting to pretentious and harsh about the whole story.
My point is simple you caught a cheater, not a monster.

According to Wikipedia: "Plagiarism is not in itself a crime"
"Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics. It is subject to sanctions like penalties, suspension, and even expulsion."

I was right about everything, firing and publicly humiliating this young person wasn't necessary, it was the harshest way to deal with the situation. People who work in video game mass media have once again confirmed their complete incompetence.

Filip Miucin shouldn't be fired from IGN. IGN was acting to pretentious and harsh about the whole story.

"Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics. It is subject to sanctions like penalties, suspension, and even expulsion."

I was right about everything, firing and publicly humiliating this young person wasn't necessary, it was the harshest way to deal with the situation. People who work in video game mass media have once again confirmed their complete incompetence.

To be fair you can't fully blame the game media for this. You can blame general internet attitudes far more than anything. I mean shit, look at the thread on Resetera about it. Look at the Twitter responses. Look at other forums. The internet these days is all about extreme witch hunts. Outrage and anger. HE MUST PAAAYYY!!!!! Everybody is always trying to vilify and destroy people for anything.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

He had a long history of being a thief

His job was about writing his own shit

so if anything he was a dumbass and thief and we were to hard on him guys ok /s

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Are you still going on about this?

Serious question: Are you Filip Miucin?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
A lot of Xbox fans on here are incredibly sensitive if you say anything not 100% positive about the Xbox One, Microsoft or Phil Spencer. It's quite something...

Also some of them are so paranoid they even whine to mods at the start of threads looking for them for help in silencing people.
I only see it when people trash talk or on purpose wants to start a flame war.

There's a huge difference between saying "I don't like Microsoft exclusives" and "fuck Microsoft they are shit and their games sucks". It's primarily members from the SonyGAF era. If you or anyone else talk civil about their opinion then there's no or less situations.

But hey, if you follow the rules, then you would never get notified about your posts getting reported, so I assume you are a part of the problem.

God Enel

Resistance Fall of Man is one of the most underrated FPS games ever made. Resistance 2 and 3 are shit.

Agree so much with this. Especially the MP was 10/10 back in the days. I had so much fun. Among Killzone 2, MW1 (and Warhawk) the best MP there was on the PS3. I would rank them: KZ2 >=Resistance 1 > CoD:MW1. Fall of Man is totally underrated. (Left out warhawk because 3rd person)

My controversial gaming opinion(s):
The last good Zelda game was windwaker on GCN. Everything that came after it, was absolute dogshit wich Breath of the wild being the pinacle.
The best Zelda being A Link to the past followed by OoT and MM.

Top Bottom