• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Not that controversial but as much as I'm loving Spider-Man, that Black cat DLC has me worried. Like Y'know, from hiring that "GTA rape" girl to write and then modeling Black Cat after her, Black cat breast are covered, IG are being attack by the games media for portraying a superhero doing superhero things.

Flapples

This thread is ancient...
Every battlefield passed hardline is shit
bc2 bf3 bf4 were perfect, not too ArmA and not to CoD but just a perfect slice in the middle. Now its pretty much just open world Call of Duty.

ruvikx

Banned
Here's one: Fifa became cr*p when they transitioned over to the Frostbite game engine (inherited from Dice). Fifa 16 was still a somewhat 'fun', challenging game (in career mode). Then Fifa 17 dropped amidst a fanfare of "muh Frostbite FTW!" marketing from EA... & it was an arcade piece of garbage - just like Fifa 18 & 19. The difficulty has gone & the AI is abysmal. It's not the only in-house EA game massacred by that overrated game engine produced by the (also) overrated Swedes @ Dice either: Mass Effect Andromeda was documented to have suffered severe development problems because the game engine lacked the fundamentals required for an action RPG.

Someone, somewhere over at EA told themselves a nice little fairy-tale in which the paying customer would apparently orgasm over Battlefield's game engine imposed on their other EA titles. Whoever it was, they made a big mistake.

dirthead

Banned
Red Dead 1 is not all that either.

There are a few categories of games:

A. Truly awesome and lives up to the buzz surrounding it (you'd put something like the original Doom or Street Fighter 2 into this category)
B. Solid but overrated (most Nintendo stuff would go in here)
C. Superficially amazing but has deeply rooted problems that ultimately make it mediocre to below average (Witcher 3's terrible control, Rockstar games with terrible control, janky ass Bethesda games that basically don't work)
D. Average
E. Below average
F. Turd

There are a LOT of C games that squeak by because people are bowled over by something superficially appealing about them, whether it's the presentation/graphics/etc.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
V3L5TUVl.jpg

Okay, here's my "controversial" videogame opinion:

Wii Music is a great videogame. It's not a Guitar Hero clone but a true music program that focuses on improvisation and the group dynamic. Yes, you can play the songs as originally written, but the real challenge lies in twisting, bending and reinterpreting them in strange new directions. I can't think of a better software title that teaches the experience of creating music. It's wildly original and daring and Nintendo should be complimented for taking that chance.

It helps a lot if you are a musician yourself, or if you grew up playing the "construction set" games on the home computers. It rewards creativity and playfulness without imposing a lot of rules, and that lack of formal structure is very welcome, even if it did frustrate those looking for the next Rock Band.

Yes, there are a lot of changes and additions that I would make if I were in charge of the sequel, including higher quality music samples and better motion controls on some of the instruments. I'd also add more alternate music scales, greater freedom in assembling your band (like 6 drummers if you wish), and a "reverse mode" for the songs to allow for more improvisation. There should also be a far more involving tutorial mode.

I strongly advise that you watch the Wassi JJ and TIrelat videos on Youtube, where the Wii Music songs are completely smashed to bits and reassembled as original works. I even created a few such songs myself long ago, although I probably wasn't as successful.

Honestly, the only reason I'm not playing Wii Music more is because it would steal all of my time. Also, my Wii disc drive is busted and needs to be replaced and if I get it fixed, Segata Sanshiro will break down my front door.

Jigsaah

People should support Battlefield V. Free DLC, no Microtransactions, good game overall.

Stop bandwagoning against EA and focusing only on the negative.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've sworn off yearly shooters since they killed the superior EA title

Plants vs Zombies

Hanon

Banned
Plantinumgames isn't able to touch the spirit of clover studios and Capcom in-house studios they came from and are trying to recapture,

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I fucking hate offcentered cameras* and don't understand why people aren't revolting about those. Don't you guys want to see what the fuck is on your left?

* Also makes me feel ill.
I personally don't have issue with it, it was same with Shadow of the colossus, especially when you are riding Agro.
shadow-of-the-colossus-remake-reiew-bird-in-flight-640x640.jpg

PS2 Shadow of Colossus was crap. Bought it as a $30 Greatest Hits.

Every website seemed to love it. I honestly thought it's one of those moneyhatted games. No site seemed to bring up the fact the game runs so slow.

Game ran at probably 20 fps tops. When you start the game I think you're character is in a castle and you have to get your horse. It ran so choppy I thought there was something wrong with the disc, took it out to look at it, and put it back in as it was new and perfect condition. Never played another PS2 game running so sloppy.

Found the first boss, ran like shit. Never played it again. Sold it for $10.

Last edited:

Hanon

Banned
Dmc v, confirmed my suspicions that I simply prefer Ninja gaiden over Dmc. Because in ng you have to be more mobile and quick to react to enemies, the izuna drop is a great distinctive finishing move, and the enemies don't take too long to kill. Where I acknowledge dmc has more versatility and crazy shit to mess with. NG just feels more refinded.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Edited since it sent an early draft. But tbh I have a lot of unpopular opinions

Last edited by a moderator:

The Uncharted games are mediocre at best and god awul at worst (lookinf at you Uncharted 3)
and Naughty Dog haven't made a good game since Jak 2.
They're awful, wannabe hollywood, casual bullshit developers that only focus on graphics and "oh so dramatic and oh so arrrttt" bullshit.

Ian Henry

Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time is probably one of the most influential games of the 6th Generation. It's up there with Resident Evil 4, Halo, and Ico.

The Jak & Daxter trilogy were some of the best games on the PS2.

Speaking of PS2, Sony has always had diverse array of games dating back to this era. It's only now that they are becoming a tad bit homogenous with their titles.

Dmc v, confirmed my suspicions that I simply prefer Ninja gaiden over Dmc. Because in ng you have to be more mobile and quick to react to enemies, the izuna drop is a great distinctive finishing move, and the enemies don't take too long to kill. Where I acknowledge dmc has more versatility and crazy shit to mess with. NG just feels more refinded.

One reason I can see that NG is more refined than DMC is because of context really. In DMC you play as superpowered half-demons who like to yell, dance and hold pizza parties whereas in Ninja Gaiden you play as a refined calculated killer where each attack isn't something like a massive barrage but instead attacks that feel cold and calculated.

We live in a time where a "Minimal Viable Product" is term used by corporations for the launch state of a game or service. They are wearing the fact that shit is launched buggy, rushed, broken, incomplete, and not their best effort on their sleeves. This also implies if it had one less feature, it would be non functional.

What's controversial is this is acceptable. And some asshole fans lap it up acting as their stooges saying, "Give it some time and more money"

"Minimal Viable Product"

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
The Uncharted games are mediocre at best and god awul at worst (lookinf at you Uncharted 3)
and Naughty Dog haven't made a good game since Jak 2.
They're awful, wannabe hollywood, casual bullshit developers that only focus on graphics and "oh so dramatic and oh so arrrttt" bullshit.

Jak 3, imo

Last edited by a moderator:

voidenberg

People should support Battlefield V. Free DLC, no Microtransactions, good game overall.

Stop bandwagoning against EA and focusing only on the negative.

People will play games that are good. BFV is failing because it's unfinished and uninspired. It's not because they hate EA or SJWism.

My unpopular opinion: Paid DLCs are not necessarily bad. I never regreted having purchased the premium pass for BF3 and 4.

Ian Henry

I wouldn't say this is controversial.
Really? Wow. I used to be on Resetera and we had a discussion on some of the most influential games of the 6th Generation. People just mentioned Halo, RE4, and to an exent Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus. However, no one ever mentioned PoP which was insane given it redefined platforming and traversal in games. I defended my case and it people actually disagreed with me. So, that's why I considered it controversial given not a lot give it credit in this day and age.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Really? Wow. I used to be on Resetera and we had a discussion on some of the most influential games of the 6th Generation. People just mentioned Halo, RE4, and to an exent Ico/Shadow Of The Colossus. However, no one ever mentioned PoP which was insane given it redefined platforming and traversal in games. I defended my case and it people actually disagreed with me. So, that's why I considered it controversial given not a lot give it credit in this day and age.
It’s different conversing with adults.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t like Crossplay? I mean I don’t want to play with others platform, I don’t think it is fair play and I don’t see any advantage for developers (just more work that could be used for bugs and optimizations).

At least makes a default option to always turn off any type of Crossplay please.

2nd. I don’t like BC but I have nothing against it except I prefer the platform holder instead to use money to make BC use to make more new games.

3rd. Paid Early adopter... fica that shit... make a free alpha/demo but please doesn’t ask any for of money to be used to test your game.

4th no day one patch... it is ridiculous... makes your game bug free enough to be full playable without any type of patch like old days... use patches only to add content, balance or fix minor bugs that didn’t affect the completion of the game.

Any controversial?

Last edited:

Well, I'm with You on that one :)

Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time is probably one of the most influential games of the 6th Generation. It's up there with Resident Evil 4, Halo, and Ico.

The Jak & Daxter trilogy were some of the best games on the PS2.

Speaking of PS2, Sony has always had diverse array of games dating back to this era. It's only now that they are becoming a tad bit homogenous with their titles.

uhm... so help me here, I just can't find a single controversial thing in your post... like for real...

maybe that the whole Jak trilogy are among the best games of that gen... I mean, maybe, but honestly they haven't aged well and Ratched & Clank aged way better (still plays like a charm while Jak feels very dated)

I don’t like Crossplay? I mean I don’t want to play with others platform, I don’t think it is fair play and I don’t see any advantage for developers (just more work that could be used for bugs and optimizations).

At least makes a default option to always turn off any type of Crossplay please.

wtf? that's not controversial that's just plain stupid, sorry but I gotta call the horse by its name... thats a very stupid thing to say.

first of all, how is it not "fair"? wtf? do you think an xbox player has an advantage over a PS4 player? how does that make any sense?
or do you think someone playing Forza Horizon 4 on a PC has an advantage over someone playing on One X?

and to your second point,
making a gamr crossplay is not hard, Epic games literally turned it on ON ACCIDENT that one time... they fucked up a line of code and it instantly worked...
so that time can not be used for fixing bugs because it usually doesn't take much time to do.

and the advantages aren't for the developers, they're for the players.
Titanfall 2 is a great game, but finding players became extremely hard in some playlists.
if it was crossplay (Xbox and PS4) the effective playerbase would instantly basically double and the chances of finding other players would double instantly.

fighting games would profit immensely too, they lose their playerbase extremely fast, especially on PC. with crossplay they too could have a more healthy playerbase on all systems.

ethomaz

Banned
uhm... so help me here, I just can't find a single controversial thing in your post... like for real...

maybe that the whole Jak trilogy are among the best games of that gen... I mean, maybe, but honestly they haven't aged well and Ratched & Clank aged way better (still plays like a charm while Jak feels very dated)

wtf? that's not controversial that's just plain stupid, sorry but I gotta call the horse by its name... thats a very stupid thing to say.

first of all, how is it not "fair"? wtf? do you think an xbox player has an advantage over a PS4 player? how does that make any sense?
or do you think someone playing Forza Horizon 4 on a PC has an advantage over someone playing on One X?

and to your second point,
making a gamr crossplay is not hard, Epic games literally turned it on ON ACCIDENT that one time... they fucked up a line of code and it instantly worked...
so that time can not be used for fixing bugs because it usually doesn't take much time to do.

and the advantages aren't for the developers, they're for the players.
Titanfall 2 is a great game, but finding players became extremely hard in some playlists.
if it was crossplay (Xbox and PS4) the effective playerbase would instantly basically double and the chances of finding other players would double instantly.

fighting games would profit immensely too, they lose their playerbase extremely fast, especially on PC. with crossplay they too could have a more healthy playerbase on all systems.
Yes an XB1 players had advantages and disvantages over a PS4 player.

Not entering in the different performance scenario... the controller itself already make it unfair like in fighting games DualShock 4 will always have advantage over XB1 controller... tha tis simple... depending of the game the positions changes.

Stupid is have no ideia what you are talking about.

Crossplay is unfair and it will always be.... Epic is facing that ridiculous decision right now with Fortnite trying to resolve where each platform match to be fair.

But he truth is it is impossible to make a fair playfield with different hardware, software and accessories.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

Appreciate you giving me the real. It's just that people been having alot pf revisionist history about the games I mentioned. PoP: Sands Of Time doesn't get a whole lot of respect for what it did for the next wave of Action Adventure games. We talking about God Of War, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, and etc. You'd be very surprise to see how many people discredit it alot. That's why I put it in my controversial take.

Some social beliefs might be good in games, but going overboard (like we've seen in some recent games) is not needed. We go to gaming to forget the evil in the world, not to be lectured.

crobb991

Banned
Some social beliefs might be good in games, but going overboard (like we've seen in some recent games) is not needed. We go to gaming to forget the evil in the world, not to be lectured.

i totally agree... i really hate this push to include all types of people in it...like who the fuck cares if a character is LGBT... i just wanna escape all that shit...

which is a rfeal shame ubi bent and changed the ACO dlc because of some sjw

Top Bottom