• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
State your "controversial" gaming opinion here, members of GAF: opinion that you personally held close at heart but at odds against the majority of video game enthusiasts here in GAF or at large.

However, please be careful not to venture into trolling territory please :) And remember, do not herald your own personal opinion as the absolute truth that others must abide to or else.

I'll start:

I consider myself as a huge fan of Legend of Zelda series, and I have played almost all the games available in the series. However, for the life of me I cannot bring myself to like Majora's Mask, a game that I see many fans of Legend of Zelda herald as the best in the series. I personally thought the Ocarina of Time was and still is the more superior version, and Skyward Sword is a vastly, vastly superior game compared to it.

Its game structure is unique, I'll give it that, but for the life of me I just cannot bring myself to enjoy it. Generally speaking I just don't like to be rushed when playing my video game: I like playing games that let me complete it at my own pace (which is why I like most RPGs, I suppose)

So what is your "controversial" gaming opinion, GAF?

Uncharted series is....okay\

EDIT:

Mortal Kombat was cool....when i was 10. The latest one felt forced and the concept of fatalities seems like catering to the lowest common denomiator. MK series is the Michael Bay of fighting games at this point.

The last good Mario game was Mario 64. Everything else has felt gimmicky.

Metal Gear series is getting more stale as more versions are released. So has Monster Hunter.

Chrono Trigger is hard to get into if you didn't play it when it was originally released.

Oblivion was a great WRPG and more easy to get into than morrowind.

I still don't see what was so great about Half-Life 2.

Street Fighter 4 is more fun to look at than play. I still think 3rd strike is the pinnacle of the SF series.

NBtoaster

Oblivion was the best RPG released, from 06-08. Then it was Fallout 3, and remains Fallout 3
(not NV or Skyrim).

Also, Halo CE is the worst of the series. Very repetitive (I played it in 2010 after Halo 3, Reach, ODST).

I don't hold back my opinions but.

I didn't like HL2 and found the storytelling and gunplay to be mediocre at best.

I think Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time have aged pretty terribly.

I gave up on RE4 after about 2 hours because of the horrible controls.

That's about it off the top of my head.

scy

So what is your "controversial" gaming opinion, GAF?

Final Fantasy XIII is one of my favorite entries.

Dragon Age 2 was so much better than Dragon Age: Origins.

I like the direction that BioWare took with Mass Effect 2.

Basically, I'm the quintessential "what is wrong with you?!" person to GAF.

apana

I feel like they should stop making Final Fantasy games. Remakes are ok but no more completely new games for a long while.

Demon's Souls should have an easy mode exclusively for me.

Xbox Infinity will fail due to third console curse.

Sony needs to leave the gaming industry if they can't deliver TLG as promised on the PS3.

More of a secret confession, but after ignoring Dynasty Warriors for years and laughing at the people who buy yearly updates of the same mindless hack-and-slash, I recently picked up 7 and Orochi 2 and have become hopelessly addicted.

GQman2121

Banned
I wish the people behind Madden this generation would just die already. Or find new careers. Whichever comes first......

Also, people who claim they played Modern Warfare 2 & 3 for the single player experience, and enjoyed it - those people have horrible taste and are holding back the medium in a small way.

LA Noire is one of the worst games this entire generation.

Final Fantasy XIII was awesome

Batman: AA and AC are boring

Left 4 Dead isn't very fun

Zelda: Twilight Princess isn't very good. The DS Zeldas were better, and underappreciated

Littlebigplanet's jumping mechanics are fine

that's all I can think of right now

Guevara

I just don't like anything about the DS. The DS had some of the worst versions of major Nintendo franchises ever released (NSMB, Metroid Prime Hunters, Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks), and almost every 3D game on the platform was ugly and controlled poorly.

scitek

Metal Gear Solid is fucking awful, always has been, always will be, and if you enjoy the story you are my enemy.

God damn it. Stole mine. I liked the first game, but I was 14, and it was mind-blowingly awesome at the time because I hadn't seen anything quite like it. Tried 3 and 4, couldn't get into them at all. For some reason I own 2 and haven't ever played it.

fbi

Banned
I can't stand the Uncharted games. I think they look dated, the animations and controls are clunky, especially the cover system, the characters are cheesy and cliche. They are just a set piece gaming experience, there is no innovation or depth.

GOTY my arse.

classicdms

Neo Member
Fist bump dude.

I also feel Fallout 3 is better than skyrim. Your choices actually had impact there.

How can you speak of choice and consequence and not call New Vegas a better game? If New Vegas was running on a better engine, with less buggy bullshit (inherent to a game with ridiculous branching paths in questlines) it would easily be the best RPG of the generation.

Fallout 3 is good, but as the thread says here on GAF, Obsidian does what Bethesdon't when it comes to making you weigh consequences and feel true freedom with your actions.

I think all the 3D Zeldas are long winded, boring, and simply inferior to the highly condensed Link To The Past or Link's Awakening.

I've come to hate every 3D Zelda game I've ever played with the exception of WindWaker, which I simply tolerate. Link's Awakening is my favorite of all time and I highly regard the Capcom developed Oracle games.

In other words, I agree with you sir.

Top Bottom