• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

Mahadev

Btw comparing Disney owning Star Wars to white trash winning the lottery might be the greatest comparison ever in the history of mankind.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I didn't know they did Justice League. Maybe I'll check that one out, but maybe not. They thought it was the best of the new DC movies, and I thought it was clearly the worst or at least tied with Suicide Squad. I don't know how anyone could have liked any of JL at all (except for the evil Superman scene).

MilkyJoe

Missing Previously Recorded, of all segments

hqdefault.jpg

Geki-D

Banned
Missing Previously Recorded, of all segments

hqdefault.jpg
I love RLM but I can't stand Previously Recorded. They clearly aren't massively well versed in games and their tastes are back in the stone ages. They generally hate every modern game unless it's gameplay/structure is old school. If I wanted to watch people hate everything, I'd have never stopped watching Zero Punctuation.

VulcanRaven

I'm sad that they are ending Previously Recorded. I heard that one reason is that they are tired of streaming. I wish they would still do reviews.

Last edited:

PSlayer

Weak episode imo but giving that the movie is apparently devoid of content, i guess the hacks didn't have much material to work with.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sad that they are ending Previously Recorded. I heard that one reason is that they are tired of streaming. I wish they would still do reviews.
Their stream was pretty bad, unfortunately. Their audio always sucked, their video quality wasn't great, and they let you know right away that they didn't give a shit.

I feel like if they had watched other streams to see what worked on Twitch, they could have had a really successful channel with a lot of money coming in.

kunonabi

Weak episode imo but giving that the movie is apparently devoid of content, i guess the hacks didn't have much material to work with.

I'm surprised they didnt mention the most laughably bad jump scare I've seen in years. My theater was actually laughing out loud at it.

PSlayer

Well that was tamer than I expectet it to be, concidering the hours he took to destroy the prequels.

To be fair the EP1 review was only 10 minutes longer than this.

Anyway just finished watching and one thing that bothered me when i watched this movie but didn't realize how contraditory it was until now is Luke implying that you don't need to be special to be a force user. Watching this review i can see many scenes in the movie(as well as from the previous ones) that prove that what Luke is saying makes no sense and it is probably the result of some co-writer or disney itself thinking that the concept of the force is too elitist.

oagboghi2

That's probably the closet we will ever get to RLM endorsing the star wars boycott.

The comparisons to Star trek really showed how shallow the thinking is in these Disney sequels.

Last edited:

Petrae

I really enjoyed the TLJ review. I never bothered seeing the film (nor will I), but the analysis and points of emphasis are fair enough for me to understand what went on here— and I’m glad I only spent an hour watching the review instead of 2.5 hours watching the entire film.

kunonabi

Compared to the original review they did, They tore it a new asshole.
Most notably at the end.

That best of the worst were they kept crapping on TLJ was also priceless.

I loved how Plinkett likened it to comedies such as Vacation because the whole movie I was thinking that there was this smallness and chintzyness to how the locations, performances, and plot developments played out that made the whole film feel like a stage play or a smaller production. The movie felt like people playing at SW while making little jokes with each other about how silly SW is. Those moments where the dramatic weight of the events is just missing kind of drives that home.

Shouta

To be fair the EP1 review was only 10 minutes longer than this.

Anyway just finished watching and one thing that bothered me when i watched this movie but didn't realize how contraditory it was until now is Luke implying that you don't need to be special to be a force user. Watching this review i can see many scenes in the movie(as well as from the previous ones) that prove that what Luke is saying makes no sense and it is probably the result of some co-writer or disney itself thinking that the concept of the force is too elitist.

I'd need to watch the film again but I don't recall it being contradictory. The review juxtaposes it with Snoke's comments but they don't conflict with each other, I think. You're not special just because you use the force isn't a denial that some users and their families are really good at it, lol. It's just to point out that you aren't some chosen one by default. That jives with Luke's own views of the Jedit/Sith and legends of his own paragon-ness.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I remember watching TLJ and thinking exactly what Plinkett said about the ending. I thought for sure they would end it with Rey considering Ren’s offer and the resistance heading to the planet. And then surprised and honestly fatigued that it went on for about 25 minutes. 25 minutes that I feel flushed the rest of the movie down the toilet, making it unredeemable.

He’s so right about the happy ending. What a dumb way to THE SECOND ACT of a trilogy. No one does that. ESB didn’t do it. AOTC didn’t do it. The Two Towers didn’t do it. The Matrix Reloaded didn’t. The Dark Knight. X-Men 2. Catching Fire. Hell I’ve never seen it but I bet you The Hangover 2 had a darker ending!

It made me think Ryan (I don’t care how he spells his name. THAT is how you spell R-Y-A-N lol!) Johnson was cramming the second and third acts into one movie thinking he may never get another chance to direct a Star Wars film.

It made me not care about episode 9. I really do not care what happens next to these characters. That’s a feat not even AOTC could accomplish.

That's probably the closet we will ever get to RLM endorsing the star wars boycott.

The comparisons to Star Trek really showed how shallow the thinking is in these Disney sequels.

The Star Trek comparisons showed how far how society has devolved.

Star Trek, a show that had a naturally diverse cast and every character had a say, Picard wasn't a dictator despite being the Captain, contrast that with Holdo basically telling Poe "shut the fuck up and do what you're told"

That's really where we're at now? What kinda message is that sending? Newsflash, being a woman doesn't make you beyond reproach.

ChrisDude

The Star Trek comparisons showed how far how society has devolved.

Star Trek, a show that had a naturally diverse cast and every character had a say, Picard wasn't a dictator despite being the Captain, contrast that with Holdo basically telling Poe "shut the fuck up and do what you're told"

That's really where we're at now? What kinda message is that sending? Newsflash, being a woman doesn't make you beyond reproach.

Well it is more realistic, star trek shows a future on how things should and could be. In the real world a admiral would tell a minor soldier to follow his orders and not openly tell him the master plan. There is after all a risk of the plan beeing leaked and fall into enemy hands.

I enjoyed the review. I still like the main characters in the sequel trilogy, but the story and world building has been terrible. The Last Jedi just made me want to watch the first season of Battlestar Galactica again.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The plinkett review didn’t tell me much I didn’t figure already

But I didn’t realize it was structured like a comedy. It totally is. That’s why I think I didn’t like it the most after all... like he said, my brain noticed it

The plinkett review didn’t tell me much I didn’t figure already

But I didn’t realize it was structured like a comedy. It totally is. That’s why I think I didn’t like it the most after all... like he said, my brain noticed it

I noticed it had a lot more humor than other Star Wars movies but even I didn't notice it was literally structured like a comedy, but it makes sense.

What was Johnson thinking? What was he trying to achieve?

Hadn't heard about RLM until now for some reason and I'm really enjoying the Mr. Plinkett reviews, laughing my ass off. Kinda surprised at a lot of people not liking Mr. Plinkett's The Force Awakens video, though it seems like just a vocal minority. Who is playing Mr. Plinkett? Recording so many lines in that manner of speaking must take a lot of hard work.

Geki-D

Banned
Who is playing Mr. Plinkett?
Mike Stoklasa. He's the fat guy on Half in The Bag. And yeah, we generally see one Plinkett review a year, if we're lucky.

Personally I thought TFA review was classic Plinkett, he even says why we won't go over every little detail; because it's already been done a million times in other videos. The worst IMO is the Ghostbusters one.

Grinchy

Banned
My favorite thing about the Plinkett reviews is the insane level of detail into why a plot/script is asinine. The TFA review was a huge letdown for me because it had nothing to do with the plot and really didn't need to be made. The Ghostbusters was even worse for that reason. This TLJ one was like a return to form.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Oh wait, I fucked up, I mixed up the movies, sorry I meant his TLJ was classic Plinkett. I actually didn't like the TFA one too because he indeed doesn't really talk about the movie, though in his defence it wasn't a Force Awakens review, it was a video about the general state of the Star Wars franchise. He just talked about TFA because it was the last one out. I wish he did do a TFA review but I guess for some reason the guys at RLM actually liked the movie, going of their Half in The Bag on it.

Grinchy

Banned
The Ghostsbusters one would have been hilarious if they actually broke down the insanely horrible plot of the movie the way a normal Plinkett review does. Instead it was just discussion of the retarded online crusade that went behind it. Still interesting, but not very Plinkett and not very funny.

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah, I feel like the ghostbusters one was just rushed. The worst part about it is that there is a section about the plot in there, but he doesn't even go into the plot in that segment. Pretty dumb to think that his joke reviews like Baby's Day Out & Cop Dog have more plot analyst than that GB one which is meant to be 'serious'.

^I watched that coming off kinda depressed at the selection of movies for 2018...

How is Summer of 84 though? While I'm kind of burned out on 80's as well they seemed kind of positive on it.

PSlayer

You just know that this fanfic is better than whatever we are going to get.

Having said that,RLM has a history of predicting this things so who knows.

pel1300

The Nerd Crew is hilarious.

Mike's comedic timing and delivery is brilliant:

"Movies are about FUN...and that's what Rogue One is, well no it's not"

"Me, personally I love this movie....did I say that before? I think I did"

Top Bottom