• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 aged like milk and plays like trash

Kronos9x

The whole game is basically an insult to the original Resident Evil trilogy and that's why it's funny that it has so many fanboys.

The reason why RE7 was made was because the legacy of RE4 almost ruined the franchise and they had to reboot the series. It was basically COD. If you call RE4 the best RE game, then don't complain when RE9 is an updated RE6.

Sleepwalker

The whole game is basically an insult to the original Resident Evil trilogy and that's why it's funny that it has so many fanboys.

The reason why RE7 was made was because the legacy of RE4 almost ruined the franchise and they had to reboot the series. It was basically COD. If you call RE4 the best RE game, then don't complain when RE9 is an updated RE6.

Tank controls resident evil sucks ass and I'll gladly welcome Re5remake and re9 in the spirit of 6

4 is the best.

ironmang

I did a replay of most RE games before Village released and RE4 did stick out to me as the one that aged the worst. Just hard to readjust to tank controls in a 3rd person action game. Didn't really have that problem with the earlier fixed camera games.

VAVA Mk2

Half Baked Boo GIF

I don't know why folk on YouTube are being salty by saying this isn't a horror game. Sure, RE4 has a lot of action. That's always been the case, because we know what the original game was responsible for creating. But I thought these first encounters in the village were pretty intense.

I died three times, at least. That's enough for me to say, you need to buckle up. I guess once you start upgrading your shit, it will probably be a lot easier.

Killer8

RE4 was a highly necessary reboot at the time because the original formula had been run into the ground. People forget that we'd already had:

- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica
- Resident Evil Zero
- REmake

... plus numerous light gun games and the two Outbreak online spin-offs. This was all in a span of 8 years. The series was absolutely saturated and there was very little direction for it to move in without doing a total reboot. The godfather of the series, Shinji Mikami, who had to step in to direct the game, said it best:

In an interview with Game Informer, Mikami explained his decision to shift to a new gameplay system is due to the feeling that the older system is "more of the same" after playing Resident Evil Zero. He says that he only felt nervous once more when playing with the newer system.[53] Speaking for the team, game producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi[52] mentioned how the staff was "tired of the same thing"[54] and how some got bored and moved on to other projects.[55] In addition to that, the producer also felt that the older format was "stuck in a cookie cutter mold" and described it as "shackles holding us down".[56]

The best series reinvent themselves to stay relevant and RE4 did that absolutely masterfully, to the point where it's difficult for most people to say what is their favorite RE game - REmake or RE4.

You have a point in that the series went off the rails with RE6, but that was not the fault of the RE4 style gameplay per se, and instead was because of Capcom trying to chase the Gears/COD/Halo action trend. RE7 was a return to some of the more traditional elements like the Metroidvania-esque mansion, the inventory chests, more puzzles, locked doors etc. But like RE4, it also reinvented the series controversially with a first person perspective - which has its own set of people who hate that much like RE4's direction.

Last edited:

Roni

I actually agree with OP and I was in the crowd RE4 is not RE. But even as an action game, there's better stuff out there since Gears was a thing in terms of controls.

And I've always felt Castle was the worst part of the game: Village is great and Island is great too, it's the Castle that is not only too large, but too comical as well. With things like giant robots, rail carts and the like...

IMO, OP is actually pretty spot on. Game was cool back in '05, but it has been surpassed by other stuff. It's in no way like MGS, where nothing like it has come out since...

Last edited:
Top Bottom