• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeOnEdge

Banned
So far i'm in at the double max prison and i cant get enough. The only reason i stopped was to watch the game. Riddick is to the FPS genre what GTA3 was to the action genre. The feel of the atmosphere is just so gritty and so immersive that its just crazy. I cant believe I almost didnt buy it! Now i'm just worried about the game ending but i'm sure i'll play thru again.

dscf0067.jpg

dscf0082.jpg

dscf0084.jpg

dscf0085.jpg

dscf0088.jpg

dscf0091.jpg

dscf0092.jpg

BeOnEdge

Banned
i doubt it which is sad. i think the problem lies in the fact that people try to port movies that wouldnt make good games in the first place.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well Catwoman isn't a good movie to begin with :p

Actually, now I just remembered about Fight Club...nevermind!

this game kind of continues the era of movies/games converging...

Enter the Matrix was telling a portion of the story untold in the movies, you have the 3 movies, some animes and a videogame all telling parts of the Matrix story... you can live with just the 3 movies, but you supplement it with the videogame and animes...

Pitch Black is now being called "Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black", as they are trying to make this an entire world based on riddick and various adventures and what not.

So now you have a new movie coming out about riddick, and this game is before even that prequel movie, telling its own story.. they even have a riddick cartoon dvd coming out.. so if you are into the riddick world, and want to experience as much of it as possible, you have a couple movies available, a anime/cartoon, and even a videogame that is very cinematic...

fbcamp

Banned
LuckyBrand said:
So now you have a new movie coming out about riddick, and this game is before even that prequel movie, telling its own story.. they even have a riddick cartoon dvd coming out.. so if you are into the riddick world, and want to experience as much of it as possible, you have a couple movies available, a anime/cartoon, and even a videogame that is very cinematic...

I don't know about a Riddick anime, since it's not Japanese. Though a Riddick cartoon wouldn't be out of the question since I heard the movies received a pg-13 rating. Which is kinda surprising considering how much profanity and violence is present in the game.

Also BEO what’s the deal with that Futami guy on OA saying this could be done on the PS2. Is he stupid or something, the game would look like crap without all the effects that it so heavily relies on. Imagine what the game would look like without the normal maps and bump mapping. everything would just be a low poly mess of bland textures and crappy looking models.

Yeah, the game is awesome. Just finished it this morning, and I'll probably play through it to try different stuff and unlock more things soon. Best movie tie-in game since Goldeneye. Kudos to Starbreeze and Diesel's Tigon Studio.

BeOnEdge

Banned
futami is kinda looney sometimes FB. Riddick so reminds me of shenmue for some reason. the immersiveness, the NPCs, the pace, the atmosphere...when "craps" asked if i wanted to play dice i felt like i was back in kowloon playing big and small. the fighting feels like shenmue too only everything is in first person.

Prine

Banned
Xbox is on fire, so many awesome games being released and its only june. Reminds me of the snes days.

i have no clue what % i am into riddick now, i got it this evening, but its amazing fun, and it only gets better as it goes on..

i can imagine ill be playing this one again, as it really has some great moments... and theres a ton to unlock...

i've said most of what i've had to say on OA.

This game is incredibly pretty and apparently has the gameplay to match it's beauty. The best thing about it is itt came completely out of nowhere from a fairly young developer. Kinda renews my hope in the smaller devs for next generation.

I really dunno why anyone would want this game ported to the PS2. It's clearly been made from the ground-up for the xbox and plays into it's incredibly powerful strengths.

I remember the wreckless ports all too well.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wario64 said:
Will this end the era of bad video games based on movies?

Na, credit for this has to go to Vin and Tigon games for really going all out to get a game made that wasnt just a cashin, that actually added to the movie, and provides an awesome gaming experience. This is what Enter the Matrix should have been (in terms of quality anyway).

Everyone thought of Tigon as joke when they first started (including me) but they might just be the first of many companies set up by movie studios to ensure the quality of their tie-in games.

Credit to Starbreeze too, but anyone who played enclave knew they'd do the business :D

Grrr, Riddick just corrupted my save file from a dirty disc error. I've never had that happen in any game before. Really irritating cuz now I gotta start over after being about 25% in.

JackFrost2012 said:
I don't understand this ... do you think that we read OA?

He was simply saying, if you want to read his postings about it, go there.. you dont need to be registered to read...

and I am sure plenty of us on here at GA read OA too... if you dont, thats your loss.

Katcher said:
Looks amazing, except for the plastic people.

I don't think the characters' skin and clothing look very plastic at all. At least on my display, the characters actually look like they absorb light in relatively realistic fashion...moreso than most games I've seen this gen. When you play it right in front of you, and not looking at screens captured from a low-quality device (like a phone cam), Riddick's characters' have a very non-plastic look, IMO...

the guys appear to come off as "plasticy" in screenshots moreso than in actual play, as the light does reflect/absorb/etc off the characters very well in action..

I am sure vicarious visions is playing the hell out of this, and knows what they have to beat.. when i am playing the game, i am often imaging doom 3 with these graphics, and i really cant wait for it!

in the meantime, however, Riddick is a great game, and i am a little over halfway thru, and its really starting to get hard for me.. i am playing on normal, but i am not the best at stealth stuff, so its been taking me a while, but am getting better at sneaking around.

Yeah, that's one of the many things I really love about the overall design in the game: if you can't deal with the stealth, you can just start killing fools left and right...of course, it's a lot more dangerous that way... Easily one of the best games this gen on any platform and easily my favorite movie game, beating out Goldeneye, which is saying something.

yah, its kind of hard to understand the stealth mechanics at first, since i wasnt used to being able to do so much to the environment in a game... shootnig out lights, shooting out computer monitors, shooting out a vent fan above and having it land on a guy, all amazing!!

i will play through again using my better knowledge of the game and do some things differently... i also didnt find that dudes glasses in the mines and feel bad about it! :)

LuckyBrand said:
He was simply saying, if you want to read his postings about it, go there.. you dont need to be registered to read...

and I am sure plenty of us on here at GA read OA too... if you dont, thats your loss.

I had the misfortune of going to that site after all the hoopla of the UT2004 Demo matches and it's no one's loss. Unless you're looking for illegal material, there's no point in going there except to make your head hurt. Although I do suspect it's GA hate will subside until they all get banned again for racist comments/fake news stories.

ravingloon said:
I had the misfortune of going to that site after all the hoopla of the UT2004 Demo matches and it's no one's loss. Unless you're looking for illegal material, there's no point in going there except to make your head hurt. Although I do suspect it's GA hate will subside until they all get banned again for racist comments/fake news stories.

illegal material? I havent really seen any of that there... i enjoy reading reiroms "news"...

raYne

LuckyBrand said:
the guys appear to come off as "plasticy" in screenshots moreso than in actual play, as the light does reflect/absorb/etc off the characters very well in action..

He's correct, when you're actually playing the game the characters are less plasticy and more flesh toned. The plastic look is simply a result of the lighting and the still image.

I completed it a few days ago, but I'm currently on my second play through since there are various ways to beat each "stage".

CoR really needed multiplayer though, XBL deathmatch/team play would've been fantastic.. especially with the stealth/shadows and the body interaction. I for one would have loved to kill someone and slowly drag their body into the darkness while their teamates looked on.... or take someone out and toss their body off a roof and into thier friends arms. Or even the hand to hand combat or sticking a shiv into someone back to take 'em out nice and quiet.

Granted Halo 2's single player coverage has been pretty much non-existant, it's safe to say that it won't be anywhere as immersive as CoR.

3rdman

"Granted Halo 2's single player coverage has been pretty much non-existant, it's safe to say that it won't be anywhere as immersive as CoR."

It's SAFE to say that? Look, I enjoyed CoR as much as you did, but c'mon!

raYne

Yeah it looks fun as hell... but hardly as immersive as Riddick, but as I said... we haven't exactly been shown a lot of it to be able to fairly compare.

That said, other than the destructible environments and the double weilding (eh..) how is H2 more immersive than CoR?

Fifty

raYne said:
Yeah it looks fun as hell... but hardly as immersive as Riddick, but as I said... we haven't exactly been shown a lot of it to be able to fairly compare.

That said, other than the destructible environments and the double weilding (eh..) how is H2 more immersive than CoR?

We've played all of the 1player CoR, how much have we seen of the 1p in Halo 2? Hardly anything. CoR also has periods of time where there is no action, when are are speaking to the prisoners and getting new missions. Halo might not have that aspect, therefore not trying for the same type of immersiveness.

Slo

In other news, Riddick 1 is WAY more immersive then Riddick 2 or 3. Riddick 4 is really where the series jumped the shark.

Man, all this time I thought the board went down again or something, but than I rememberd Gaming Age had a site and when I went there I was able to find the new board (damnit for having to re-register)

But anyway, This game is incredable, I beat it a couple days ago, I am planning on going through again. I found like 40 sig pacs, but I want the rest. I loved evry minnut of the game, it was soo sweet how after spending a good 2 or 3 levels having to be stealthy and not having access to any weapons to be able to grab a shotgun and blast the shit out of alien creatures. And damn, when I got that minigun... My god, it almost made me feel like I was cheating. Those riot gaurds droped like flies.

I hope we get a sequal maybe taking place after the new movie, and most likely before the NEXT movie...

~Black Deatha

Cimarron

the real question is since this is a maximum security prison does in involve man love at any point. Think about it... not only that this a prison its a whole goddam planet full of men. If I was Ridddick i would be trying to escape Butcher Bay in order to preserve the virginity of my pooter! ;)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Cimarron said:
the real question is since this is a maximum security prison does in involve man love at any point. Think about it... not only that this a prison its a whole goddam planet full of men. If I was Ridddick i would be trying to escape Butcher Bay in order to preserve the virginity of my pooter! ;)

riddick03.jpg

riddick04.jpg

riddick05.jpg

riddick06.jpg

lol, thanks to morphix for the pics

so yeah, there is sodimy in butcher bay ;)

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished the game myself.

If you had asked me what I thought of the game 50% through I would have had mixed feelings about it, and probably wouldn't give it higher than a B. But luckily the 2nd half of the game is so very A+ quality that in the end, I can defintely say I enjoyed Riddick very much.

The major problem with the game is that the graphics look like shit ALOT in the early areas of the game :( The low-res jaggie problem is terrible in cutscenes and terrible in some of the early areas (such as the big open area at the prison, or the landing pad). But then after about 30% in, the low-res issue pretty much disappeared for the rest of the game minus a spot here or there and then the game was looking absolutely gorgeous. It's like they got 3 months in on development, realized the low-res problem, and learned to work around it for the rest of the game but didn't bother going back and re-doing the early work that had been finished. The demo was all from this early area, so unfortunately most of the demo looked bad :( Overall I couldn't give the graphics higher than an 8 IMO because there are just too many parts where they look like a 2/10, despite the rest looking like a 10/10. But once you get half-way you're looking at straight 10/10 graphics which is very nice indeed ^__^

My other problem was just the lack of polish with the game. When you're going up or down elevators the screen freaks out and hops up and down as if the engine doesn't know how to handle fast vertical movement ^^;; You also have the sometimes funky hit detection where you reach out and snap the air and then the guy 2 feet to your left has his neck snap and falls down :\ Then you have the loading which for the most part isn't too long and the areas are pretty big. But then you have parts like the ring fighting where you have to talk to guy in area A, walk through loading screen to area B, talk to guy in area B, walk back through loading screen, talk to guy in area A. Repeating this 4-5 times got a bit annoying and made me wish the people who I needed to talk to were close enough that I didn't have to walk through loading barriers all day :\ Same problem of loading and lots of walking plagued most of the one section that was around the 30-50% mark of the game.

Luckily after that 50% mark the game drops all the backtracking, sub-quest within sub-quest within subquest BS and just turns into a straight stealth/action edge of your seat FPS and man is it good. I played almost all the game stealth style with breaking necks and such, but for a few parts near the end I tried playing action style tossing grenades into rooms and watching bodies go flying out...and it sure was fun ^__^ Certain other games *cough cough Farcry* had made me dislike monster fighting in human games, luckily the monster fighting in Riddick is a blast and it really gave me the intense feeling that I hope Doom 3 will provide throughout.

In the end I really had a lot of fun in my final day of playing Riddick today. The length was just right and the immersive environment was well executed. While IMO it's not the kind of game that will end up in my top10 like say Ninja Gaiden, it was still a great experience that I'd recommend to others, and I look forward to Starbreeze's next game.

Rhindle

Read Greg Kasavin's column at Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6099958/p-3.html

He is spot on. Riddick is a rare landmark game that redefines its genre. I actually think it redefines two genres: the movie-license based game and the first person adventure (for lack of a better term). There is nothing comparable out there in terms of a game that succeeds in absolutely, convincingly conveying the experience of playing through the lead role in a major motion picture.

As Greg says, it is also the first time that a game may actually help build hype and anticipation for a motion picture release, as opposing to just leeching off the movie publicity.

EA, Activision and whoever else is churning out cookie-cutter movie tie-ins need to spend a good long time studying Riddick and learning a few lessons.

op_ivy

i gotta say, the stealth aspect could use some work. it can be extremely hard to tell where the shadows end at certain parts, and there have been countless times where i'll be in a shadow, and move like an inch to my left and have the blue tint disapear, followed by 8 guards shooting shit at me.

also, i'm a bit stuck, either due to me trying the wrong thing, or some really shitty coding. i'm just past where the monsters (who, by the way, are fucking lame IMO) first begin attacking the guards. i crawl through a vent, then kick out a grate to a small platform overlooking a HUGE dropoff. looking up, there is a ladder parrallel to the ceiling, but everytime i jump and hit x for riddick to grab on, he either misses it entirely, or grabs on for a split second then releases. both ways i fall to my death and have to sit through the painfull load to get back to try it again. and i've tried it literally dozens of times and cant figure out what the fuck i'm doing wrong...

op_ivy

DJ Brannon said:
Don't jump. Just get as close as you can and look up at it. You can grab it from there.

i've done that too, and he'll still grab it for a second, then let go. i'll keep at it though :(

Brannon

In that case I'm not sure then. I do know that I had an easier time grabbing the ladder when I had no weapons in my hand. But the falling thing is new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom