• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

VidKid369

Hey, everyone. Just got done playing through a great Working Designs title - Alundra. Got the 100% Complete for it and it felt great.

Took a 2-day break and mostly slept/rested.

Now I'm back into it and decided to tackle Xenogears. Does anyone know what I'm in for? I remember the internet being littered with Xenogears information when I was younger. I played all the way through to the final boss once in high school but I never quite beat the game and most of my recollections of the game have been long gone. Anyone here a fan of Xenogears?

I beat Xenosaga Episode I twice and got everything for it but never got two steps into Episode II and I don't even have Episode III - heard it's really hard to find now.

Hearing lots of good mentions for Xenoblade.

Thought I'd go back and revisit where it all started with the PS incarnation and see what I've been missing out on all these years. Cheers!

VidKid369

Lol, I've heard almost everybody have nothing but great things to say about Xenoblade, but I don't even have it lol but I can't wait to get it. I kinda heard too that it was hard to find?

But, man, 150 hours? Sounds right up my alley. I love long-ass RPGs like Dragon Warrior VII. *drools*

Hey everyone, thought I'd pop in and say hello. Been getting some use out of my Switch lately and have been in RPG mode. I bought Tales of Vesperia a few months back and just beat it the other night. I played it for a bit on my 360 but my 360 scratched the hell out of the game (then bricked a few months later) so I never got to fully play this one. It was a pretty good time, once I got the hang of Artes and pulling off combos the game really opened up, although I'm sure I was missing a lot. My biggest gripe with the game was the AI was pretty awful and I had to pretty much control their every move for the Alexei battle (that was such a pain in the ass), even adjusting the strategies and whatnot they still didn't do what I wanted or just burned through TP. Other than that, a pretty solid 7/10 experience for me.

Next up I bought the Collection of Mana and DQ3. I never played FF adventure on the gameboy and never played Trials (didn't feel like emulating it for whatever reason back in the day). It's been a long time since I played Secret of Mana too so I'm looking forward to it. DQ3 is another one I haven't played in ages and I can't wait to dive back in. I haven't played the 8/16 bit DQ games in years. I think my plan here is to go FFA to DQ 3 then SoM. Trials I'll come back to at a later time, don't want to get burnt out on the series.

Any tips for a FF Adventure newb? I'm about an hour in, hit detection is a bit wonky but otherwise I'm enjoying it so far.

Winter John

I noticed Dragon Quest Builders 2 was on sale so I thought it was worth a gamble. I've struggled with these building type games in the past. Most of the time I just wander aimlessly around, maybe build a hut then get bored and quit. The thing about DQ is it has objectives and quests which is perfect for people like me who like some structure in their games. Anyways, there's a demo on the store so anyone who's interested can try it out. It doesn't have the best start but it opens up once you get onto the first island, so it's worth sticking with it.

Lanrutcon

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is making me tear my hair out.

THE DOOR IS BARRED
THE DOOR IS BARRED
THE DOOR IS BARRED
LEVEL 90 BOSS IN A LEVEL 20 ZONE

Cutty Flam

Banned
My mind is going haywire with all the possibilities of JRPGs on the Nintendo Switch

Bought: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX (completed), FFXII: The Zodiac Age
Can also play due to NSO: Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II
Want to buy: FFX/X-2
Next JRPG to play: completely undecided and entirely indecisive
Considering:

-Maybe Playing FFXIV or FFXV
-Buying a PS5 for FFXVI
-Buying all the Dragon Age games on Switch when they go on sale bc they're fairly cheap and apparently top tier games
-Pokemon Sword/Shield sounds fun, so do the ones coming out within the next 8 months
-Fire Emblem: Three Houses, XC and XC2, Bravely Default II all sound like high quality experiences

So many great games are out

My mind is going haywire with all the possibilities of JRPGs on the Nintendo Switch

Considering:

-Buying a PS5 for FFXVI
-Buying all the Dragon Age games on Switch when they go on sale bc they're fairly cheap and apparently top tier games
-Pokemon Sword/Shield sounds fun, so do the ones coming out within the next 8 months
-Fire Emblem: Three Houses, XC and XC2, Bravely Default II all sound like high quality experiences

I'm playing FFVIII Remastered and FFXII TZA right now. Both games are fantastic in their own ways.

So many games to play indeed. I had to put Trails of Cold Steel III on hold because FFXII comes before everything else.

IPrKbVf.jpg

Corgi1985

Banned

Considering:

-Buying a PS5 for FFXVI

It isn't

Considering:

-Buying a PS5 for FFXVI

Same here

Been playing Trails of Mana currently

Fushitsusha

I'm entertaining the 1-2 punch of playing FFVII (Switch) and FFXV (Xbox1) simultaneously

Or maybe just focus on one, it's undecided for now
Go with XV brother. Knowing how much you like Breath of the Wild and also how it's one of the games that really piqued your curiosity, it would be interesting to finally hear what you think about it. It's an extremely dissapointing game and genuinely the worst FF to me, but by playing it early one would probably appreciate it a whole lot more.

Royal Edition is what you want since the game was blatantly unfinished at release. Probably still is?

Then tell us whether D.Final D.Final was right.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Go with XV brother. Knowing how much you like Breath of the Wild and also how it's one of the games that really piqued your curiosity, it would be interesting to finally hear what you think about it. It's an extremely dissapointing game and genuinely the worst FF to me, but by playing it early one would probably appreciate it a whole lot more.

Royal Edition is what you want since the game was blatantly unfinished at release. Probably still is?

Then tell us whether D.Final D.Final was right.
I think it might be the way to go. It's so difficult to choose which ones to play since they're all good. But I want to see what modern FF is like, plus I want to see how Noctis and his crew responds to the main villain (who is maybe one of the better villains from what I hear) Plus I want to see what happens at the wedding in the very beginning

Also, I must pay my respects to the legendary madman D.Final D.Final and his unconditional love for FFXV

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

I think it might be the way to go. It's so difficult to choose which ones to play since they're all good. But I want to see what modern FF is like, plus I want to see how Noctis and his crew responds to the main villain (who is maybe one of the better villains from what I hear) Plus I want to see what happens at the wedding in the very beginning
Expect... none of that. Sort of. Very underdeveloped scenarios to say the least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom