• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown launches for PS4 and Xbox One in June, Switch in Q4 2019 and PC later; 44 minutes of gameplay and staff interview

Shin

Banned
Samurai Shodown will launch worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in June, followed by Switch in Q4 2019 and PC at a later date, publisher Athlon Games and developer SNK announced.
It will feature Japanese voice-overs and support English, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Pan-American Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese subtitle language options.

The Unreal Engine 4-powered fighting game is a reboot of the classic series set between the events of Samurai Showdown V and the original game. It will feature 16 total fighters, including 13 returning characters and three brand new characters.
Additional characters will be released via post-launch downloadable content.

Here is the official fact sheet:

About
After more than a decade, Samurai Shodown is back! SNK is rebooting one of its most successful series, carrying on the legacy of past titles with a new game that retains the same thrilling battles of past titles in a graphically advanced package. Samurai Shodown’s gameplay is driven by the tense atmosphere of being one strike away from death, and the exhilaration of defeating an opponent with overwhelming power and attacks. Taking place between the events of the original game and Samurai Shodown V, the new game carries on the legacy of the one true weapon-based fighter.​
Key Features
  • Exhilarating Weapons-Based CombatSamurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
  • Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
  • Unique Cast of Returning and New WarriorsSamurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
  • All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
  • Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.
The public will be able to go hands-on with the game for the first time at PAX East 2019, which runs from March 28 to 31 at the Boston Convention Center. SNK will also host a panel, “Samurai Shodown: Resurrecting a Legend,” on March 30 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. ET featuring producer Yasuyuki Oda, director Nobuyuki Kuroki, original Samurai Shodown director Yasushi Adachi, and several other staff members from SNK.

Credit: Gematsu
Alt-sources: Siliconera, Twinfinite

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I'd give anything to have the sprites back but at least it doesn't look nearly as bad as KOFXIV did .. I haven't played an SS in quite a while .. GO PUPPY!

theHFIC

I can't get enough of these 2.5d Unreal Engine based fighting games. They all bring something so different and unique to the table /s

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems like they're focusing more on the blood and "fatalities" compared to other Japanese fighting games available right now, which is cool.

I am happy about the return of Samurai Spirits, but I get the feeling I'll always be lukewarm on the game's overall look.

This is, admittedly, a nitpick and a bit of a weird thing to want, but it'd be nice if the game offered the option to disable on-screen English graphical text. Some of the most appealing visual elements are the Japanese-language graphics, with the screen only becoming cluttered by the plain-white English text and its faint background glow.

I also noticed Yoshitora was featured in the trailer. I wonder if a certain crowd will eventually be raising a fuss, what with his design owing to Nobuhiro Watsuki.

Nymphae

Banned
I really like the look personally

25-samurai-shodown-comes-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-june-nintendo-s.jpg

To me that is what SF4 was going for, but it looks so much nicer. SF4 had really odd black ink lines on the characters, I liked what they were going for with it, but it never looked amazing to me. I think these models and ink effects look awesome.

This looks good, and Samurai Showdown was my jam back in college. Gonna have to pick this up (provided it scores well).

However, two things that were odd: one, is the deer in the background at 41:50 (second video) glitched into the ground, or is it just sitting? And two, why isn't there a judge for every stage (like the original games)? Mind you, I'm being overly picky, but I'm older and I don't want my Samurai Showdown to change substantially, or I'll yell at clouds or something.

gioGAF

Looks good, a big fan of the early games of the series. Although, not mentioned here, I'm really hoping Gen-An Shiranui and Hanzo Hattori make it into the game.

SALMORE

Looks good, a big fan of the early games of the series. Although, not mentioned here, I'm really hoping Gen-An Shiranui and Hanzo Hattori make it into the game.

they confirmed the base 16 characters roster ! Gen-An didn't make it but Hanzo is in you can see a glimpse of him in the trailer

Shin

Banned
Eurogamer wrote an article about the game, here's a short quote.

"It really comes down to the fact that a lot of veterans have come back to SNK in recent years," says Kuroki of how the company has recaptured the old spark. "A lot of people who made those old games are making new games again in the same teams. It's a lot of their direction and tastes coming through. It comes out in a lot of different ways. Here, it's about how the character models are almost deformed - that's part of it. And the way that SNK puts a big focus on the characters - the lore, their design. I had a big hand in the characters in Art of Fighting, and for these guys and girls in Samurai Shodown."

Saber

Gonna be honest, not a fan of the hud. And not a fan of the character select either(was expecting some nice artwork).
But the gameplay looks very decent.

Just dont expect some people from other forums to accept this game after watching the new Charlotte lmao

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Samsho is not my thing, but thanks to this I can chill and wait for a new awesome Garou, not some ass Chinese kofxiv

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks good to me. I don't play fighters much anymore like I did in the 90s, but I will definitely play this.

Last edited:

demigod

This looks good, and Samurai Showdown was my jam back in college. Gonna have to pick this up (provided it scores well).

However, two things that were odd: one, is the deer in the background at 41:50 (second video) glitched into the ground, or is it just sitting? And two, why isn't there a judge for every stage (like the original games)? Mind you, I'm being overly picky, but I'm older and I don't want my Samurai Showdown to change substantially, or I'll yell at clouds or something.

Wow how old are you, 50? It was my jam in middle school.

Gandara

Looking nice. Looks a lot better then then the 3D KOF. Seems to be similar to SS2 but can't tell if any new fighting systems have been introduced or tweaked.

Was going to say Charlotte has very little protection going on under the armor but realized it's been so long since I've seen the old 2D sprites that she's was never heavily armored underneath. Not sure why I thought she had an armored skirt. Caulk it up bad memory. :)

Mecha Meow

Wow, they really don't like PC eh? If it runs at 60fps on Switch I'll get it there but I'm not holding my breath.

Nakoruru, Cham Cham, and Galford were always my favs.

I really like the look personally

25-samurai-shodown-comes-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-june-nintendo-s.jpg

To me that is what SF4 was going for, but it looks so much nicer. SF4 had really odd black ink lines on the characters, I liked what they were going for with it, but it never looked amazing to me. I think these models and ink effects look awesome.

Less fucking ridiculous. I am down with this art direction.

Gandara

I didn't watch the new trailer until now and noticed that Shiki, Tokugawa Yoshitori, Hanzo, Tam Tam and Kyoshiro were in it. Haohmaru,Uyko, Nakoruru, Earthquake, Jubei, Galford, Charlotte, Genjiro make up the rest of the original cast (bringing the total to 13), so we still haven't seen the 3 new characters.

Razzorn34

I didn't watch the new trailer until now and noticed that Shiki, Tokugawa Yoshitori, Hanzo, Tam Tam and Kyoshiro were in it. Haohmaru,Uyko, Nakoruru, Earthquake, Jubei, Galford, Charlotte, Genjiro make up the rest of the original cast (bringing the total to 13), so we still haven't seen the 3 new characters.

Still hope Gen-An makes it.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
Had no idea it was coming to Switch! The later date is good for me, though. Day 1!

Nymphae

Banned
I watched some of the gameplay video last night, and I'm stoked to get this now. I really like the overall style.

My only gripe is that the graphics really do appear to be heavily desaturated, I can't help but feel like it would look a lot better with a bit more punch from the colour palate, but I still love the overall look.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This looks good, better than the last couple of Street Fighters. There's a bit of a creeping sameness to all the recent 2D fighting games, but this at least feels like the classic SamSho, so that's good. I do hope some new gameplay ideas are introduced that move the genre forward, but the current mood of videogames is "retro." As long as SNK gets the essentials right, they'll be fine.

Shin

Banned
It's something they can build upon, UI is too big and messy and Genjuro's posture is too buffed.

genjuro-and-haohmaru-ngsuper.gif

Barnabot

Samurai Shodown‘s release is fast approaching, and we now know exactly when another region will get to see it. On June 25, 2019, the game will arrive on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One outside of Japan. This means North America will get it two days before its June 27, 2019 Japanese release date. In addition, free DLC will be offered to people who commit to a copy.

A Samurai Shodown season pass will be available. While it will eventually be sold, people who either preorder or purchase a digital or physical copy before June 30, 2019 will get the season pass for free. That will give people access to six months worth of add-ons for the game. The official press release notes this will mean those people will have access to an additional four characters.

Samurai Shodown will be released for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in North America on June 25, 2019 and in Japan on June 27, 2019. It will appear on the Nintendo Switch and PC in Winter 2019.
Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/...pters-a-free-season-pass/#KMdfGbCBRCRrgdcT.99

"...and PC later"

Middle_Finger_Emoji_894a7ecd-277f-479e-9967-44d20813a2d6_small.png

Have a good day Fuz Fuz

I'm in the same boat here :messenger_angry:

Top Bottom