• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Crazy Taxi offers the quintessential SEGA arcade aesthetic. It's presentation is so timeless. I would argue that with the Dreamcast, console 3D graphics/fidelity finally became "good enough".

I remember playing Dreamcast at my local video game store and saying to myself that the graphics were crisp, detailed, and the colors were really vibrant.

I really think the Dreamcast brought it with having a graphics card with the console. Nothing could compete with it until PS2 came along.

Rayman 2 is maybe the best, and Super Magnetic Neo is kind of unique. Kao the Kangeroo is very generic.

I'll have to check those games out. I have a copy of Croc on Sega Saturn, kind of hoping there was a Croc 2.

NDPsycho

3D Castlevania is shit though

I've played and had fun with shit games over the years, would have liked to have seen it come out anyway. I wouldn't take any of the 3d Castlevanias over the 2d ones, but I had fun with some of them. I didn't mind lament of innocence or whatever it was called on ps2. I liked lords of darkness on ps3.

But wasn't it decent at least? I know it got a sequel as well.

Not... really. Kao is just Crash 1, but worse. Crash 1 wasn't all that good to begin with. Kao lacks pretty much anything to call it's own, besides it's bizarre checkpoint mechanic.

The other Kao games are all mediocre or bad from what I've heard. Kao was made by Titus (the company behind Superman 64) so I wouldn't be surprised if they're trash.

you guys really think DC is on its way to Saturn pricing? when I bought back my stuff years ago some titles had gone a bit up & took time to find on the cheap, but I wanna say mostly the capcom stuff had gotten up there

The funny thing is that Sega paid companies like KFC and Tower Records to use their likenesses, not the other way around.

this is simultaneously crazy and yet the most Sega thing I've read all day

3D Castlevania is shit though

I mean LOI was
well I never finished it but I barely finish any CV games honestly

Castlevania Lords of Darkness was the game that made me lose faith in the whole industry. I was so pissed when I started playing it. What a fucking terrible experience. I wish I could erase it from my memory.

celsowmbr

Banned
Tectoy would be teasing a Dreamcast re-release (using El Chavo del 8 memes):

dUS0vRP.png

- Tectoy, are there any plans to relaunch Dreamcast?
- (so so translation): Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

link: https://www.facebook.com/tectoyofic...189788667563/1608160415870486/?type=3&theater

Lords of Shadow wasn't all the bad, at least the first. Why did it make you lose faith in the industry?

This was probably the most disappointing thing I've ever bought. Everything about the game was so boring. The action was simplistic and shitty and the story was trying too hard to be gothic and dark. Worst of all, the music was unmemorable.

Castlevania is either a punishing action game with precise controls or an adventure game where every room is interesting. Most of all, it should have a fantastic soundtrack and monsters inspired by classic hammer films.

After playing the game for a few hours, I sold it back to Gamestop. I realized that if they can slap a Castlevania on something that was the antithesis of what a Castlevania should be the industry is dead. Only Nintendo and a few teams here and there are worth paying attention to. I'd set my PS3 on fire if it could remove the taint of that fucking game.

Western games ruined the industry.

Theonik

Amusingly enough, the Dreamcast was quite close to modern phones architecture wise. MIPS CPU (ARM-like) and PowerVR GPU.

Peco

I need money so I am seriously pondering the idea of selling my Dreamcast + Shenmue I, Soul Calibur and Jet Grind Radio. What price should I ask for in your opinion?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Sell your body not your Dreamcast.

This is some great advice right here!

Anyways, about that Lords of Shadow, i actually thought the game was decent enough. And a few of the boss fights were freaking amazing and required a lot of skill. I even had to turn down the difficulty on the final dlc-boss to easy to be able to beat it - which was pretty embarrassing, but shows that the game had its hardcore moments.

But of course the game didnt have much to do with classic Castlevania, unfortunately.

Peltz

I need money so I am seriously pondering the idea of selling my Dreamcast + Shenmue I, Soul Calibur and Jet Grind Radio. What price should I ask for in your opinion?

If you're selling it altogether, around $90-100. Separately:

DC = $45-65 depending on how many controllers/accessories and barring any really rare stuff like a Toro/hanzo, 1st party SCART cable, or 1st party VGA box.

Shenmue 1: $40-50 depending on condition

Soul Calibur: $10 cib

Jet Grind Radio: $20-25 cib

Peco

If you're selling it altogether, around $90-100. Separately:

DC = $45-65 depending on how many controllers/accessories and barring any really rare stuff like a Toro/hanzo, 1st party SCART cable, or 1st party VGA box.

Shenmue 1: $40-50 depending on condition

Soul Calibur: $10 cib

Jet Grind Radio: $20-25 cib
Thank you 👍

Castlevania is either a punishing action game with precise controls or an adventure game where every room is interesting. Most of all, it should have a fantastic soundtrack and monsters inspired by classic hammer films.

this is the most succinct differentiation i've seen between classic/tank/belmontvania and iga's stuff, just wanted to commend you for that

finally got 18 Wheel Pro Trucker for a good price at a con today - man, i love this game. the horn upgrades, the rival talking shit at me, all of it. kinda wanna get a wheel and a trucker hat & do this right.

Seik

Banned
Hey all, it's been a while.

I will be trying NullDC tonight to see if most games work well in 4K. I got the original Soul Reaver on Steam yesterday via the Crystal Dynamics Humble Bundle only to realise that it was a port of the PS version, which kind of turned me off, that goes without talking of how terribly the game handles my USB X360 controller. Sooo it all got me tempted to go test DC emulation after years of hiatus.

Looking at the latest releases for DC emulators on EmuCR is a bit depressive, only thing that seems to be in development is Reicast (Android) and another one called ReDream which I never heard about, anyone tried it yet or have a better recommendation?

I guess NullDC is still one of the best after all these years, a shame that the DC emulation scene is so anemic of devs.

Awakened

Looking at the latest releases for DC emulators on EmuCR is a bit depressive, only thing that seems to be in development is Reicast (Android) and another one called ReDream which I never heard about, anyone tried it yet or have a better recommendation?
Redream is the most promising in development DC emulator currently. There's been some good progress on it lately: http://redream.io/posts/progress-report-july-2017

I haven't tested it out myself yet to see how good it is for general use though. It's probably still behind Demul, NullDC and Reicast.

steveovig

I'm thinking about buying another Dreamcast after mine broke a few years back but I'm totally ignorant to it. What's the best way to hook this thing up to an HDTV? My Samsung TV says it has AV inputs but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the thing.

I'm thinking about buying another Dreamcast after mine broke a few years back but I'm totally ignorant to it. What's the best way to hook this thing up to an HDTV? My Samsung TV says it has AV inputs but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the thing.

Does your TV have VGA?

Mzo

I remember tacking on Street Fighter 2 X to an existing order years ago for like $15 to round out an order and get it to free shipping because no one really wanted it. My friends were like why are you buying that on DC, it won't even play online.

Everything is cooler on Dreamcast.

I remember tacking on Street Fighter 2 X to an existing order years ago for like $15 to round out an order and get it to free shipping because no one really wanted it. My friends were like why are you buying that on DC, it won't even play online.

Everything is cooler on Dreamcast.
Your friends better do some research. Not only 2X is arguably one of the best (if not THE best) versions of Street Fighter 2 but it's also one of the most collectible Dreamcast games and worth a pretty penny right now.

right but before people lost their minds about retro games it was just another SF 2 port & people weren't talking most places about which one was more definitive/etc, it was another classic no one cared about till they did years later

right but before people lost their minds about retro games it was just another SF 2 port & people weren't talking most places about which one was more definitive/etc, it was another classic no one cared about till they did years later

I'll try to get more clairvoyant friends in the future.

Sorry. I didn't meant to sound like a jerk. Only later I realized you were already talking in hindsight.

Mzo

It's cool. Nobody had to convince me to buy Dreamcast shit, I was in love with the system from day one. I think I have more Dreamcast peripherals than all my other systems combined.

Still have my 2 green goblin sticks and a ton of fighting games. Missing Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service but luckily that one isn't crazy (yet?)

Crynox

Neo Member
finally got 18 Wheel Pro Trucker for a good price at a con today - man, i love this game. the horn upgrades, the rival talking shit at me, all of it. kinda wanna get a wheel and a trucker hat & do this right.

I love this game too! Sadly it got away from me at the time and the high price it commands now sucks! I'm always on the lookout for it at a reasonable price.

Top Bottom