• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok I have no idea where to go...

I am pretty early in

One Option is going to the bis ass snake (Killed one Eye but hen i did not know where to go,...)
Option 2: There is some headless guy in a lot of mist in which I can not move)
Option 3 The Drunk guy in the 3 years before area. Youget Help from an NPC but he really dies quick)
+
Did I miss something?^^

1) You can continue past the snake. Watch for grapple points and ledges.

3) Use stealth and disengagement tactics to pick off the adds in that fight one or two at a time before you commit to the drunken boss. Then score a stealth deathblow on him, then run over and talk to the samurai. Without all the regular enemies around to trip him up, you can railroad the boss pretty easily.

iHaunter

Xbox One controller not working... FFS man...

This year is such shit for games in general, even From Software rushing this out the door due to dumbass Activision. >.>

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The Bull, uhh...

Right after the horse dude? Jesus From, let me revel in my victories a little bit before being shit on again so quickly ;)

Dunki

1) You can continue past the snake. Watch for grapple points and ledges.

3) Use stealth and disengagement tactics to pick off the adds in that fight one or two at a time before you commit to the drunken boss. Then score a stealth deathblow on him, then run over and talk to the samurai. Without all the regular enemies around to trip him up, you can railroad the boss pretty easily.
thx that was really easy.

but there was a locked door so i guess its option 1 now xd

Horatius

is there a way to get more treasure carp scales? they don't seem to respawn, so the six i've found at hirata estate seem to be it so far, but that's nowhere near enough to buy everything that the merchant offers

im assuming theres more later in the game, but i hate not knowing :(

Horatius

Xbox One controller not working... FFS man...

This year is such shit for games in general, even From Software rushing this out the door due to dumbass Activision. >.>
make sure you play around in the steam big picture settings

the past few from soft pc games have needed it for some people. choose the xbox one controller setting, within steam big picture itself, and then dont forget to change the right stick from mouse, or oyu cant invert the Y axis

Fbh

I am pretty early in

One Option is going to the bis ass snake (Killed one Eye but hen i did not know where to go,...)
Option 3 The Drunk guy in the 3 years before area. Youget Help from an NPC but he really dies quick)
+
Did I miss something?^^

Either to the big Snake (if you already hit the eye you are almost at the end of the area. Just continue forward ...though the snake is angry but just run and try to avoid it)

Or the Drunk guy.

I haven't been able to kill the headless guy but you can ignore him and get to a small area that's beyond him. Not much to do there though (yet at least)

Edit: just saw someone answered to you already

The Bull, uhh...

Right after the horse dude? Jesus From, let me revel in my victories a little bit before being shit on again so quickly ;)

Do you have the
Firewoks. Those work wonders on the bull

Last edited:

Shifty

Been watching Superbeast Angry Pat play this. You guys aren't kidding about the difficulty, shit looks brutal.

If you look it up it's a big problem overall. Many mega-threads made. I tried everything, big picture, multiple modes, multiple templates, etc.
Does it work okay with other games or is it only playing up on Sekiro? I wish I could provide more help but mine just worked off the bat. If its of any consequence, I'm using the first model of one controller before they added the 3.5mm headphone jack. It works on the two handsets I've tried. Hope you get it working.

Arachnid

Actually I think dodge countering works best against her, like the game says at the beginning of the fight with a tutorial message. The trick is alternating between sides constantly. As soon as I found that out I could do it.
I wish I got that down then lol. It was a rough time. It felt like the dodging just gave time for her posture bar to go down, and half the time didn't even work for me. Only way I stood a chance was keeping rooted and right in her face.

JimiNutz

Banned
I wanna get this, but it may be too hardcore for my ass.

It's my first time really playing any kind of character action game or From game (same for my girlfriend who has only really played Mario games and Overwatch) and although it is difficult it is a lot of fun learning the game and the combat is really satisfying.

I'm really pleased that I gave it a go.
Even my girlfriend who has minimal gaming experience is enjoying playing this. I would guess that this is easily From most accessible game. It's hard but fair and with decent enough tutorials to get to grips with the basics.

Last edited:
@#$% that this is definitely not my cup of tea, thought I learned my lesson with Nioh...all time I was playing all I can think of was............DIVISION 2 !!!!!!!!! y'all feel me!!?

Difficulty is ok and manageable, just have to be patient..but goddamn this game feels empty..open worlds just spoiled me to the point of no going back.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Reached
Lady Butterfly
and I had to take a break. Easy enough fight, but she is a pain in the ass with how long the fight lasts. Not a huge fan of endurance fights. Plus I was playing for like 5 hours at that point. Fantastic game!

hivsteak

Uninstalled and hid it from my steam library haha. I don’t want to play this game again.

Nioh had a boss similiar to Lady Butterfly. I dealt with this shit once before I don’t want to do it again. Widdling down her health or poise twice is just tedious. Horse boss I tried once and saw enough. There are two hidden paths I found with bosses at the end too.

RedVIper

Banned

I am pretty early in

+
Did I miss something?^^

Edit:I hadn't refreshed the page and EviLore had already awnsered my bad.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

Either to the big Snake (if you already hit the eye you are almost at the end of the area. Just continue forward ...though the snake is angry but just run and try to avoid it)

Or the Drunk guy.

I haven't been able to kill the headless guy but you can ignore him and get to a small area that's beyond him. Not much to do there though (yet at least)

Edit: just saw someone answered to you already

Do you have the
Firewoks. Those work wonders on the bull
No I don’t. Not even sure where to get it, or if I even want to. Might just torture myself by trying to do it without the help ;)

Important things are SUPER easy to miss in this game, which is pretty normal for From games, but it’s still fairly alarming. I finished the Estates without the Axe attachment, wtf.

Last edited:

Dunki

No I don’t. Not even sure where to get it, or if I even want to. Might just torture myself by trying to do it without the help ;)

Important things are SUPER easy to miss in this game, which is pretty normal for From games, but it’s still fairly alarming. I finished the Estates without the Axe attachment, wtf.
Yeah I also had no axe until these little rat midget guys at the tree. After that I went back after my friend told me there is a axe :p

Where do i get the firecrackers? These important updates are REALLY easy to miss^^

The game is great (level design and combat are pretty awesome) but it 's pretty safe to say that this time around FS have completely lost it in regards with difficulty. Yes, it is legit that players have to learn their way through the game and that involves dying a fucking lot, we all know that, but some situations very early in the game just feel cheap and unncessary.

For example, having a mini boss in an area with other 8 minions who can attack from close and long range. That's absurd. I'm gonna press on because the game is one the finest of the year (and I paid the collector's edition, sigh) but for the time being it feels like a chore, not much enjoyment or reward.

iHaunter

Does it work okay with other games or is it only playing up on Sekiro? I wish I could provide more help but mine just worked off the bat. If its of any consequence, I'm using the first model of one controller before they added the 3.5mm headphone jack. It works on the two handsets I've tried. Hope you get it working.

Works with literally every other game including DS 1/2/3. =/

Yeah I also had no axe until these little rat midget guys at the tree. After that I went back after my friend told me there is a axe :p

Where do i get the firecrackers? These important updates are REALLY easy to miss^^

Go to the checkpoint right before the chained ogre. Drop down to the pathway and walk in the opposite direction of where the ogre was. There's a merchant sitting under an archway down there. 500 sen for the firecracker attachment.

Codes 208

Finally beat The memory and
Phantom Butterfly.
Holy shit that was invigorating. I had to go kill
Gyousu
first just to get an attack boost, upgrade my gourd to 4 and level up my health twice just to stand a chance.

I have a burning question.

Is Patches in this game, and can you cliff him?
He is not. From has stated that Patches and the Moonlight greatsword will not be making an appearance as they want this to be a self-contained series from the typical soulsborne titles.

Last edited:

Shifty

He is not. From has stated that Patches and the Moonlight greatsword will not be making an appearance as they want this to be a self-contained series from the typical soulsborne titles.
Fair enough. Bit of a shame, but at least my expectations are in check.

-MD-

@#$% that this is definitely not my cup of tea, thought I learned my lesson with Nioh...all time I was playing all I can think of was............DIVISION 2 !!!!!!!!! y'all feel me!!?

Difficulty is ok and manageable, just have to be patient..but goddamn this game feels empty..open worlds just spoiled me to the point of no going back.

Division 2 lol

I've yet to see an open world that didn't feel empty/lifeless.

Last edited:

Shifty

Suprised you’re not all over this. It’s supposed to be optimized really well for PC!
I'm keeping a keen watch on it out of the corner of my eye as I knock out DMC5 S-ranks. I want to keep the power fantasy rolling for a bit longer before this game pushes my shit in :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The game has a lot of different routes to explore away from the critical path, so keep your eyes peeled. As tough as those named enemies might seem, you're better off hunting them all down so you can stand a slightly better chance against the real bosses. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Having a blast with this one. It's very punishing for mistakes in fights but the checkpoints are convenient, and the combat system is responsive and technical, so it forces a higher level of mastery to clear than what's typical for Soulslikes.

Manus

mhanur.jpg

2lbceau.jpg

Game is gorgeous on an ultra wide. Plus I'm loving the OST. Reminds me of a mix of Game of Thrones and the Witcher 3.

Golgo 13

Word of advice — look up the prosthetic attachment locations on the internet. They are so incredibly well hidden (and sometimes obscure) that there’s no shame in it.

I just found out that I missed a very important attachment that was right in front of my face many times because I didn’t approach a random object and press a button. Seriously.

Ugh. I am frustrated. I can't get my DS4 to work with this game and it works as is with every single game I threw on, from my Steam library. Ive played with Steam Big Picture and removed one of my other controllers from the PC and even in the HID compliant hardware menu. Played a couple of hours and steamrolled a Big Ogre boss by losing him, stalking him then deathblow before he turned around, hit him a few times then proceeded to stick close to him and just dodge to the side and around him, sticking to him like flies on shit. This game is crazy fun, but I don't feel like adjusting to kb/m atm. I want to play this with a controller!

Very boring game, glad I only borrowed it. I made it to the big ugly pig thing that can't keep its hands to itself. Stop grabbing me loser! :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Ugh. I am frustrated. I can't get my DS4 to work with this game and it works as is with every single game I threw on, from my Steam library. Ive played with Steam Big Picture and removed one of my other controllers from the PC and even in the HID compliant hardware menu. Played a couple of hours and steamrolled a Big Ogre boss by losing him, stalking him then deathblow before he turned around, hit him a few times then proceeded to stick close to him and just dodge to the side and around him, sticking to him like flies on shit. This game is crazy fun, but I don't feel like adjusting to kb/m atm. I want to play this with a controller!

I'm using my DS4 with DS4 windows and it works fine. But there are people having problem with xbox controllers to so idk.

Dunki

The game has a lot of different routes to explore away from the critical path, so keep your eyes peeled. As tough as those named enemies might seem, you're better off hunting them all down so you can stand a slightly better chance against the real bosses. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Having a blast with this one. It's very punishing for mistakes in fights but the checkpoints are convenient, and the combat system is responsive and technical, so it forces a higher level of mastery to clear than what's typical for Soulslikes.
So far think it is better than Darksouls. Not only because of the setting (I love Japanese settings) but also because of the combat dynamics, the traversal which opens up so many more possibilities. And I never thought I would say it. BEcause there is no real leveling up system which often made some encounters in Darksouls much easier.

Man this game is fun and I have not even seen the real portion of the game.

Codes 208

The game has a lot of different routes to explore away from the critical path, so keep your eyes peeled. As tough as those named enemies might seem, you're better off hunting them all down so you can stand a slightly better chance against the real bosses. :messenger_grinning_smiling:.
I can’t stress enough how much I appreciate the branching exploration in from games. Helps make the game feel less tedious and linear while not being overwhelmingly open world.

Even in the beginning area as soon as you get the budda bell you’ve got an alternative route to explore.

And on top of that, you’re usually rewarded for exploring with things like nifty power-ups and skills or items.

Fbh

Fair enough. Bit of a shame, but at least my expectations are in check.

Honestly the one thing that has been a bit disappointing (at least of what I've played so far) is that the NPC's in general aren't as memorable as in the Souls games. None of them have really stood out to me.

I've tried to like it. Keep booting the game up every so often to see if I feel it gripping me but it's cheap and frustrating everytime I play it. I love the environments, probably made in China and they are getting a bit samey.

• Tracking enemy attacks
  • Tickling bosses to death so you can guardbreak them
  • Grabs when you're in animation that almost kill
  • It's almost like you're expected to get hit no matter what you do
  • Losing money when you die in a game that's so cheap...
It's all designed just to be annoying? Was IWBTG a good game? I would say no. Still I'm thinking about playing more, because I want to like it.

cr0w

Old Member
Damn, been a while since I've had my dick kicked in to this extent. Think the last time it was even close was in the prison from Demon's Souls. I've kind of gotten the hang of things after a few hours, just downed

Chained Ogre

Slow going so far, but I'm getting better. I'm reminded a lot of the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox in that you absolutely have to invest in the combat system to proceed otherwise you're toast. Really liking it so far.

Top Bottom