• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Kamina

Golden Boy
How close is this to Dark Souls? I'm rather interested in the game but I must confess I was never a fan of the Dark Souls series (and I never understood why its combat was so praised).
Combat is probably the thing that is most different and much more refined. Instead of just evading in Souls games (because lets face it, blocking was useless) you need to both evade and parry depending on the situation. Gameplaywise you gain anither dimension you didnt have in DS because you can zip onto trees and rooftops.
Did you check out any extended gameplay? Maybe this could sell you on the game?

Last edited:

-MD-

Combat is probably the thing that is most different and much more refined. Instead of just evading in Souls games (because lets face it, blocking was useless) you need to both evade and parry depending on the situation. Gameplaywise you gain anither dimension you didnt have in DS because you can zip onto trees and rooftops.

First time I've seen someone call blocking useless, if anything it's too good and people rely on it too much.

demigod

My copy from Target eta is Saturday, lame. I don’t trust From Software with PC version so i went with ps4.

Bryank75

Banned
Imagine playing a From game from a streaming service, it would be shit, just terrible.... would ruin the feeling of the game.

Anyway, I have this paid off but they are super strict at my local Gamestop, so I guess it will be Friday when I get to play!

Reviews are in what? 3 hours?

Last edited:

Makariel

My copy just arrived. Currently downloading the day1 patch (3.3 gigs) on Ps4pro.
Where is my copy?

*checks*

"Arriving tomorrow"

giphy.gif

ZiriusOne

Played for half an hour, still in the tutorial area, died 2 times already. This game is TIGHT!

Impressions:

>The game controls are very snappy and direct, character movement feels pretty similar to Bloodborne though a little more refined.
>The graphics looks pretty nice, good anti aliasing and texturing work though it's not a crazy graphics jump from Bloodborne
>They removed the god awful chromatic aberration that they previously had in Bloodborne
>Game is 1080p from what i could tell and has a variable framerate on PS4Pro (haven't encountered framedips that are very jarring yet)
>Game has a little pop when it comes to foliage in but nothing too crazy from what i could tell so early on
>The HDR looks to be proper HDR and looks mighty fine, doesn't look to be a RDR2 situation
>Wall jumping and holding on the a ledge is a little fiddly, sometimes the character just won't grab onto it
>The combat is pretty fantastic, every sword clash feels weighty and the perfect parries into execution feel so good (those anime blood fountains are the cherry on top)

Yeah, i think everyone who liked previous FromSoft games will like this too.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just bought it on Steam. hopefully can play it straight after work tomorrow.

i've only seen a couple trailers and have tried avoiding information. i'm going in blind. so excited! :D

Played for half an hour, still in the tutorial area, died 2 times already. This game is TIGHT!

Impressions:

>The game controls are very snappy and direct, character movement feels pretty similar to Bloodborne though a little more refined.
>The graphics looks pretty nice, good anti aliasing and texturing work though it's not a crazy graphics jump from Bloodborne
>They removed the god awful chromatic aberration that they previously had in Bloodborne
>Game is 1080p from what i could tell and has a variable framerate on PS4Pro (haven't encountered framedips that are very jarring yet)
>Game has a little pop when it comes to foliage in but nothing too crazy from what i could tell so early on
>The HDR looks to be proper HDR and looks mighty fine, doesn't look to be a RDR2 situation
>Wall jumping and holding on the a ledge is a little fiddly, sometimes the character just won't grab onto it
>The combat is pretty fantastic, every sword clash feels weighty and the perfect parries into execution feel so good (those anime blood fountains are the cherry on top)

Yeah, i think everyone who liked previous FromSoft games will like this too.

The part of the combat system where you throw your enemy off balance, are you utilizing it or are you going in ham most of the time?

ZiriusOne

The part of the combat system where you throw your enemy off balance, are you utilizing it or are you going in ham most of the time?

You definitely have to utilize it against tougher enemies. You can't really go ham on them or they'll slice you up or they block enough and throw you off balance so they can go in for a death blow. Death comes pretty fast in this game.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Any X impressions? Seen a lot of Pro ones, and I’m shocked it’s only 1080p with dips (from what I’ve read) on the Pro, seems like it could be higher and smoother with that hardware.

Either way, still massively looking forward to it tomorrow.

-MD-

What? Most bosses brake your block in one hit. Evasion is paramount to success.

I don't think we played the same games, obviously there are attacks you want to evade but you can pretty much block your way through those games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
15 minutes until the reviews roll in, lads.

I predict a 92 when it averages out.

You definitely have to utilize it against tougher enemies. You can't really go ham on them or they'll slice you up or they block enough and throw you off balance so they can go in for a death blow. Death comes pretty fast in this game.
1K9Y.gif

15 minutes until the reviews roll in, lads.

I predict a 92 when it averages out.

Yup, remember they're filled with spoilers 90% of the time. I hate even having to say that. lol

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't care what score it gets. it means nothing to me.

that said, i'd be impressed if it came anywhere near Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Souls games are the very definition of tedious. I don't like the sounds of those impressions....

I liked bloodborne best in that regard. I never felt I 'wasted' time on any boss. Some could be done on a first try. The DLC was a pain, on the other hand (or maybe I needed to level more).

Reviews are supposed to drop at 9 AM EST (now). I suspect review copies were sent out late and not many have finished it yet, though.

Makariel

What? Most bosses brake your block in one hit. Evasion is paramount to success.
I don't know what you're talking about. For my first playthroughs of Demon's and Dark Souls 1-2, I was always hiding behind a shield or wooden door that self-identifies as shield and most bosses would just bounce right off it. Except for very few attacks, a high stability shield can get you all the way though.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Alright after reading the IGN review it seems the game is solid. 50 hours is crazy.
Will see if GameStop has a 9PM release and any early copies left.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Can anyone explain how the death mechanic works? These reviewers have done a shit job at that.

Last edited:

Ellis

Fucking cancelled my PS4 order a couple of days ago and just went with Steam.

I only have an i5 2400 and GTX 960, but I'm sure to get a better 30fps experience than I will on my base PS4, and I won't have to listen to the fucking jet engine overpowering the wonderful soundtrack this game has to offer.

I will pick up the PS4 version later down the line if PS5 has backwards compatibility for it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
91 average score on metacritic. Not bad. Quite impressive so far.

Fucking cancelled my PS4 order a couple of days ago and just went with Steam.

I only have an i5 2400 and GTX 960, but I'm sure to get a better 30fps experience than I will on my base PS4, and I won't have to listen to the fucking jet engine overpowering the wonderful soundtrack this game has to offer.

I will pick up the PS4 version later down the line if PS5 has backwards compatibility for it.
PC is the way to play these games. I wouldn't even bother buying it on console. just play it on PC with a controller and you're good.

Last edited:

scanferr

Yeah, I did, and I liked some things, like the zip onto roofs, etc. I guess and I will give it a chance!

Ellis

Any recommended VPN software to use ?

One with a free trial, or long enough to unlock the game.

CyberGhost any good?

Last edited:
Top Bottom