• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Paasei

Loads of controller issues reported everywhere. Seems like they forgot about Dark Souls 3 shit and did the same exact thing here. If you're using a PS4 controller I would suggest you hold off for a day or two and see if there's a fix or some community modding to ensure it works.
Thanks for the heads up!

Doomtrain

Played for a couple hours so far. I don't really "get" the game yet. Coming off of Souls, Bloodborne basically felt like Souls on crack, so I appreciated the newness but also felt immediately at home. This feels way more like its own thing. That's not a value judgement either way; I just need more time to grok what's happening here.

JimiNutz

Banned
It arrived!
Time to spend the next 3 days repeatedly dying.

My girlfriend and I are both completely inexperienced with these type of games but have got a nice bottle of Japanese Suntory whisky on hand and are going to take a sip every time we die... I expect that we'll be paralytic within the next few hours.

Wish me luck!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It arrived!

My girlfriend and I are both completely inexperienced with these type of games but have got a nice bottle of Japanese Suntory whisky on hand and are going to take a sip every time we die... I expect that we'll be paralytic within the next few hours.

Wish me luck!

Y'all getting bent, lol.

Odinnii

Games is so good. such a nice change of pace from the Soulsborne stuff and the graphics are pretty impressive by From's standards.
PC version seems great. Only issue I found is with the HDR, had to alt tab to get it to work.

DonyDevitt

Neo Member
It arrived!

Wish me luck!

Haha, you gonna be THE DRUNK, man.

I have never played a soulsborne game. I am curious about PC issues as I'm deciding if I'm willing to deal with them or if I should go PS4 Pro?

Armorian

Banned
I have never played a soulsborne game. I am curious about PC issues as I'm deciding if I'm willing to deal with them or if I should go PS4 Pro?

Game doesn't support 21:9 aspect ratio, other than that it's flawless on 1070/2600k. With modified exe or hex editor 21:9 is possible, From is behind times as always...

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
My copy only shipped today. So I'll only be able to start playing on Monday......tears

Fuz

I can't play it until April.

twitch.gif

Game doesn't support 21:9 aspect ratio, other than that it's flawless on 1070/2600k. With modified exe or hex editor 21:9 is possible, From is behind times as always...

I might just buy PC and hold off on jumping all the way in if it it's got obvious bugs that I can't mod out. That's good to hear, I'm running a 7700k/1080ti and hoping 3440x1440 runs well.

I am a little terrified that as a new-to-soulsborne gamer I will have a hard time here.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't know if I'm going to like this game or not. After watching gameplay it just seems boring. Like a poor man's Nioh. Like you only have one type of attack their is not even a strong attack. No equipment. I think a big thing also is it takes place in a real world location which I feel From Software is so much better at fantasy or dark locations.

Nah, more like a rich man's Nioh.

I was immediately interested in Nioh. Samurai Dark Souls? Hell, yeah.
It's an awesome game in it's own right.

Sekiro feels like FROM saying "no no no this is how you would do Samurai Dark Souls".

You do have equipment.
There are fantasy elements.

On the "one type of attack"... the fighting system is not as simple as that.
It's more tactical and needs a lot more thought, at least in these first few hours.

Each to their own but this would get my vote over Nioh.
Early days, mind you.

dok1or

Yes, there is fix, but UI and effects are 16:9!

Last edited:

-MD-

I don't know if I'm going to like this game or not. After watching gameplay it just seems boring. Like a poor man's Nioh. Like you only have one type of attack their is not even a strong attack. No equipment. I think a big thing also is it takes place in a real world location which I feel From Software is so much better at fantasy or dark locations.

One type of attack is bullshit, I'm 90 minutes in and I have at least 4, and there are more deeper into the skill tree.

Acidizer

Banned
would it be silly for me to pick this pick when i have barely touched Bloodbourne?

i bought BB and played it for half an hour, got lost/stuck and that was that. didn't have the will to continue. lost the disc and grabbed it from PS+ but still haven't had the itch to play despite its GOAT status.

i love ninja stuff, fantasy stuff a bit less so, but does this game revel in its difficulty like previous games... From this dev? :messenger_bicep::messenger_beaming:

p.s. isn't there a Sony first party ninja game in the works... or was this it?

Last edited:

voidenberg

would it be silly for me to pick this pick when i have barely touched Bloodbourne?

i bought BB and played it for half an hour, got lost/stuck and that was that. didn't have the will to continue. lost the disc and grabbed it from PS+ but still haven't had the itch to play despite its GOAT status.

i love ninja stuff, fantasy stuff a bit less so, but does this game revel in its difficulty like previous games... From this dev? :messenger_bicep::messenger_beaming:

p.s. isn't there a Sony first party ninja game in the works... or was this it?

You're thinking of Ghost of Tsushima

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah this game is TOUGH. feel like it is tougher than Souls? by now i've seen a handful of those General guys and they are straight up tough, easily as hard as a boss fight. only actual boss fight i've been in was against the dude on the horse and he just instantly annihilated me the half dozen times i tried.

is there a lot of extra stuff to explore? feel like i may backtrack and do more exploring. only have 1 prosthetic attachment, and i've heard there were 3 in the early game...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
still figuring out how the dying mechanic works. it seems like you lose all the money you earn, so i've started farming for money and then buying a coin purse for 110, which is only worth 100, but can't disappear after death. good idea? i dunno just trying things out

slade

Played about two hours, took my time and got up to the Hirata Estate. Game is nice. Love the parry and counterattack. Just like in Ass Creed, picking off one guy and hightailing it out of there and going back when everybody de-aggro's has served me well so far.

JimiNutz

Banned
Haha, you gonna be THE DRUNK, man.

Ok taking a sip of whisky each time we die was a terrible idea. We've obviously had to slow down with the drinking as we're both pretty drunk already and not making much progress (the game is still a LOT of fun though)

My girlfriend has somehow managed to fire off all of our shuriken and we now have none left... Do these replenish or do we need to find more?

I underestimated just how bad at this she would be lol
Not that I'm much better in fairness. I don't think we've even made it 5% into the game. There's a Samurai with a giant sword that is killing us repeatedly, I can just sneak past him though by grappling over the roofs.

Is it best to simply avoid some enemies?

If you are using a DS4 controller, google up some of the common fixes first before you purchase so you'd have time to try them out and if it don't work, refund fast. Do also note there are no DS4 button prompts at the moment, though someone will provide a mod for that soon.

There are no performance issues I've faced so far. Maxed out graphic settings on 1080p and butter-smooth 60fps. I'm on a 1060 6GB, nothing fancy. But then again I've only played for 2 hours, so who knows.

Is this game better played using a controller or m&kb?

Controller for sure, but very very much playable with M&KB. In fact, the parry and counter system that Sekiro uses makes this even more playable than Souls on M&KB.

Last edited:

Helios

yeah this game is TOUGH. feel like it is tougher than Souls? by now i've seen a handful of those General guys and they are straight up tough, easily as hard as a boss fight. only actual boss fight i've been in was against the dude on the horse and he just instantly annihilated me the half dozen times i tried.
I actually just defeated him second try. Honestly, I just deflected his attacks and grappled on him whenever he tried to do any of those bullshit long-ranged moves. I'm having a lot more trouble with the boss fight on the Hirata Estate.

Last edited:
Do people really think this game has “unimpressive” graphics? Maxed out on PC at 1440p and I feel it’s very clean and nice looking. Maybe not “gorgeous” but not bad

Do people really think this game has “unimpressive” graphics? Maxed out on PC at 1440p and I feel it’s very clean and nice looking. Maybe not “gorgeous” but not bad

Couldn't care less about that, honestly. That's like going to Far Cry for FPS gameplay. I would think your game looks pretty good at 1440p. I'm pretty satisfied with mine at 1080p:

d1e2a2h.jpg

R7Jv9gk.jpg

Manus

Nah, more like a rich man's Nioh.

I was immediately interested in Nioh. Samurai Dark Souls? Hell, yeah.
It's an awesome game in it's own right.

Sekiro feels like FROM saying "no no no this is how you would do Samurai Dark Souls".

You do have equipment.
There are fantasy elements.

On the "one type of attack"... the fighting system is not as simple as that.
It's more tactical and needs a lot more thought, at least in these first few hours.

Each to their own but this would get my vote over Nioh.
Early days, mind you.

Yeah I'm not seeing any of that after watching a streamer fight three main bosses. Combat is parry after parry after parry. By equipment I meant like gear and armor you get which their is none. One sword the entire game like it's just so basic. Stealth mechanics feel super tacked on and simple. You can just cheese most encounters. I don't see this game having the replayability of any of the previous From games. I have the game preloaded and gonna play after work but ugh I'm super disappointed.

Last edited:
Plugged in 7 hours yesterday, ate up my Division 2 time, gotta make it up today lol

I must suck at Souls games because I’m having an easier time time with this than any Souls game. It’s been a long time since I played BB but my faint memory makes me think this is similar, difficulty wise, for me. Just utilize all your options.

Couldn't care less about that, honestly. That's like going to Far Cry for FPS gameplay. I would think your game looks pretty good at 1440p. I'm pretty satisfied with mine at 1080p:

d1e2a2h.jpg

R7Jv9gk.jpg

I agree that it’s not a main selling point of these games. I still felt it was fair for me to ask about some opinions expressed regarding the graphics.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a nice looking game, it's no DMCV, RE2 or GoW
but generally it good.

Plugged in 7 hours yesterday, ate up my Division 2 time, gotta make it up today lol

I must suck at Souls games because I’m having an easier time time with this. It’s been a long time since I played BB but my faint memory makes me think this is similar, difficulty wise, for me. Just utilize all your options.

I agree that it’s not a main selling point of these games. I still felt it was fair for me to ask about some opinions expressed regarding the graphics.

Wish I could have played 7 hours so far, man. I would just continue with Sekiro if I was you. These single-player games usually provide a much better experience when played through uninterrupted and quickly.

You think Sekiro is easier than Souls as well? Based off my first 2 hours or so I feel so as well.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah I'm not seeing any of that after watching a streamer fight three main bosses. Combat is parry after parry after parry. By equipment I meant like gear and armor you get which their is none. One sword the entire game like it's just so basic. Stealth mechanics feel super tacked on and simple. You can just cheese most encounters. I don't see this game having the replayability of any of the previous From games. I have the game preloaded and gonna play after work but ugh I'm super disappointed.
Which is funny because samurai didn't parry. Katanas where not used to parry and if they were, you would not have a sword for long.

is there a lot of extra stuff to explore? feel like i may backtrack and do more exploring. only have 1 prosthetic attachment, and i've heard there were 3 in the early game...

I have three and haven't reached a boss. There's definitely a lot to explore. I found an area in Hirata that I haven't been able to find my way back to in about thirty minutes of searching.

Last edited:

Terce

How does this look for replays? Is there going to be much in the way of build variety or is it just a standard grind to fill up the various trees? It seems like there isn't really any weapon variety so apart from NG+ and enemies just getting "harder", so far it seems like you're only meant to play through this once or twice.

Saruhashi

Banned

There's a lot of parrying, yes.
It feels like a more cautious and defensive approach is what's needed as opposed to Bloodborne's rewarding of aggression.
I like the change personally and enjoy trying to get those parries right.
So you are often studying and then countering your opponent.

You can upgrade your prosthetic and there are abilities to get.
I am not that far into the game so I can't totally say how varied things get.

It's not Dark Souls 4 and it's not Bloodborne 2.

I think FROM did enough here to mix things up and keep their formula fresh.
I am fine with their changes and their ideas but others won't be.
For me, I am feeling good about the whole thing.

If you've already bought it then just jump in and see how you feel yourself.
I was quite enjoying the stealth and the grappling and the eavesdropping but each to their own.

Personally, as a big fan of Souls games, I think this is a great new game in that vein.
It evolves and changes the formula while keeping the sense of tension, difficulty, exploration, world building.
Individual battles feel a lot more like they are on a knife edge but maybe in time I will just be carving through enemies.

MDSLKTR

How does this look for replays? Is there going to be much in the way of build variety or is it just a standard grind to fill up the various trees? It seems like there isn't really any weapon variety so apart from NG+ and enemies just getting "harder", so far it seems like you're only meant to play through this once or twice.
Theres different endings for one.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game reminds me of Tenchu/Soul's
But the whole hold ⬜ bit after defeating an enemy reminded of Onimusha Soul Absorbing

#Phonepunk#

Banned
at some points this is straight up Metal Gear X Dark Souls, hiding in the shadows, taking out enemies from behind, retreating to the tall grass, etc. it is a lot of fun methodically picking off smaller enemies before taking on a big baddie.

of course jumping straight in like a lunatic, then leaping all over the place while you slice and dice guards, is just as fun. LOTS of ways to play this one.

Jigsaah

I playing up until the first major boss...The drunk dude who gets halitosis all on his sword. Some thoughts on the game.
#1. Compared to DS3, performance on Xbox One X isn't terrible...graphical quality is improved. Digital Foundry is not wrong...I just don't think it matters so much to me.
#2. The fighting is instantly familiar, but yet new at the same time. Some of my tricks from Dark Souls, do translate to this game,
#3. While the game feels linear so far, there are a lot of branching paths and rewards for exploration.
#4. The game is relentless, it's hard and almost seems unfair. I feel like skill point farming is a must. If you wanna progress at any normal speed.
#5. Controls take some getting used to. It's like I see Dark Souls but the concept of hanging off ledges and crouching feels foreign.
#6. I am slightly worried about replayability. I'm hoping there are different character story lines to follow with consequences for doing things differently on each additional playthrough
#7. I am not a fan of the story being spoon fed to you. I much preferred the ambiguity of previous games.

Top Bottom