• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Fbh

You need an item that lets you damage that type of enemies(Apparitions). The status effect is terror I believe
Oh, I actually think I have 2 of those. Kinda assumed apparitions would be more like transparent ghosts or invisible enemies or something.
Thx

Tekkie

Interesting so far. Haven't gotten very far yet though but I really like how in a From game these really basic, been done a thousand times, kind of elements just add so much to their games. In the sense of how it impacts so much in the actual gameplay.

Codes 208

Finally started to play it. I’m really enjoying it so far, currently I’m seeing more resemblance to bloodborne due to movement and reliance on posture and countering. Though I’m glad the idols have more to do with ds2 and 3’s bonfire system than BB’s lanterns.

This could be my early vote for GotY

BizzyBum

Nooooooo, I cheesed and stealthed my ass off in the Hirata Estate and the boss was like 2 hits away and I fucking choked.

Achelexus

Man, the mini-bosses and bosses really take away the fun out of this game. 10x harder than in any Souls game, dealing over half your HP in a single hit and requiring in-human reaction times to avoid certain moves. GG

I'm probably overthinking it (as usual), but is there another use for sake other than giving it to the Sculptor? Got one as a boss drop and I'm not sure if I should just give it to him or save it for later.

Last edited:

Makariel

Through the tutorial, so far I'm loving it :)

Looks like NPC finally know how to open their mouth while talking.

Also, cool to be able to play with Japanese VO and English subtitles. I did not expect to have that much story in SoftwareFromFromSoftware tbh.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m sadly not feeling this yet. It feels like it wants to be souls, but it isnt souls. Not that they wanted it to be different, more so that they wanted it to be the same but missed?

All the elements are there, but for me, this is heavily watered down. I hate having no XP, as now it’s no longer a case of farming, but more so a case of luck and skill. Now, I’m all for “gettin gud”, but there is usually a balance. Here, you don’t really do much of anything... you farm for skill points, which don’t really do all that much at this stage for me. You can upgrade your vitality, but I haven’t seen much of that either. Your attack strength I’m presuming remains constant?

The atacking feels weird to me, and cheap. I manage it all in anything else of this sort just fine, but here it feels odd to me. Can’t put my finger on it. That first ogre battle wasn’t hard, it was just cheap. Dude would manage to grab me for his near enough instant kill attack even when I was a good 10 feet away and rolling? Eh? Why bother with blocking and repelling attack when, usually, you’re up against a few people, at the same time as some dude with a ranged weapon is going at you? Why bother having wolves when they are one but boredom sponges?

I LOVE Souls. Loved The Surge. Loved Bloodborne. Loved unchained. Hated Ashen... And I think I’ll end up enjoying this, too. It’s just, right now, it doesn’t seem hard, it just seems cheap?

Last edited:
I’m sadly not feeling this yet. It feels like it wants to be souls, but it isnt souls. Not that they wanted it to be different, more so that they wanted it to be the same but missed?

All the elements are there, but for me, this is heavily watered down. I hate having no XP, as now it’s no longer a case of farming, but more so a case of luck and skill. Now, I’m all for “gettin gud”, but there is usually a balance. Here, you don’t really do much of anything... you farm for skill points, which don’t really do all that much at this stage for me. You can upgrade your vitality, but I haven’t seen much of that either. Your attack strength I’m presuming remains constant?

The atacking feels weird to me, and cheap. I manage it all in anything else of this sort just fine, but here it feels odd to me. Can’t put my finger on it. That first ogre battle wasn’t hard, it was just cheap. Dude would manage to grab me for his near enough instant kill attack even when I was a good 10 feet away and rolling? Eh? Why bother with blocking and repelling attack when, usually, you’re up against a few people, at the same time as some dude with a ranged weapon is going at you? Why bother having wolves when they are one but boredom sponges?

I LOVE Souls. Loved The Surge. Loved Bloodborne. Loved unchained. Hated Ashen... And I think I’ll end up enjoying this, too. It’s just, right now, it doesn’t seem hard, it just seems cheap?
I would say Bloodborne is cheaper. I dont feel like im dying because my camera or anything was off like in BB. If I die its generally because I got greedy or fucked up, which is how it should be. Not a huge BB fan though, much prefer the proper souls games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Couldn't care less about that, honestly. That's like going to Far Cry for FPS gameplay. I would think your game looks pretty good at 1440p. I'm pretty satisfied with mine at 1080p:

d1e2a2h.jpg

R7Jv9gk.jpg

That bottom pic is fantastic!

Sygma

People talking about how easy the game is haven’t gotten past the first 3 hours, I’m guessing.

I absolutely coasted for the first 3-4 hours then you kind of hit a brick wall, depending on the order you do things, whereas games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls were HARD right from the beginning.

what's even more awesome are people talking about how they're almost finished with the game and there are zero screenshots or anything either.

also guys, the jump button is a thing. if you can't dodge a grab by hitting backward dash twice, simply jump over and there you go. Its literally a counter movement

Last edited:

Sygma

I first tried Lady Butterfly....lucky as fuck.

shes honestly the easiest early boss, her patterns are super limited. you can whirlwind her to death and just hold block at all times, no need for deflect / dodge lol

also mikiri her flying kick

Gratz on the down !

Last edited:
shes honestly the easiest early boss, her patterns are super limited. you can whirlwind her to death and just hold block at all times, no need for deflect lol

also mikiri her kick
Despite dying to him a few times as I was still learning, I still would say dude on horse was much easier. Still, she wasn't the nightmare I was expecting.

Drake

Am I supposed to go back and fight the Shinobi hunter later? He's absolutely destroying me. I haven't killed the Ogre yet.

Fbh

Took down the horse guy on my first try. The fight was surprisingly easy but fun and visually cool

also guys, the jump button is a thing. if you can't dodge a grab by hitting backward dash twice, simply jump over and there you go. Its literally a counter movement

This really needs to be said more.
I guess I'm so used to FROM combat being more about the dodge that it took me a good while to realise that the jump is also a good tool to avoid certain attacks

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Am I supposed to go back and fight the Shinobi hunter later? He's absolutely destroying me. I haven't killed the Ogre yet.

He's a regular unique/named enemy. Try clearing the adds from stealth, de-aggro him by leaving the area, and deathblowing him from stealth to knock one of the orbs off. For the rest of the fight, it helps to have the Mikiri Counter learned from your skill tree so you can crush his thrust unblockable. Good luck!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally took out the horse dude, that was a hell of a boss fight.

took me a couple dozen tries, which was ok, because from the nearest shrine you could get there v quickly evading all enemies. grinding skills and getting the hookshot attack was important, also the firecrackers attachment, i scares the horse for a good 3 hits (or 2 in the second half). now on to either the shinobi hunter or the drunkard...

kevm3

From software is easily my favorite developer now. Crazy how far they came from the king's field series. Sekiro is better than I expected.

Dontero

Banned
Started it and shut down after 30 minutes. Love From but i hate setting, same reason why i can't play Nioh, sold my copy easily with almost no $ wasted.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The Shinobi took me awhile. Everyone kept telling me to use the Mikiri counter, but for whatever reason I couldn’t get the timing down.

Stealth attacking him before facing him head on is key, like EviLore said. If you can anticipate his attacks, then use the Mikiri Counter. If not, just be as aggressive as possibly and wear down his posture bar. That’s how I beat him — relentless attacks and occasional sidestepping (dodging).

See alot of ppl not feeling the game, similar to Nioh..I was expecting something more original and different.

I might just refuse delivery when UPS gets here.

jesus how fickle are some of you people. "the one guy said once its like this one game one time IM NOT FUCKING BUYING IT IM SENDING THE UPS GUY BACK". jesus christ how the fuck do some of you live and just cant fucking enjoy something

its a fucking video game its fun. its challenging. fucking enjoy it

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't like how much the game holds your hand, explains everything, and lets you pause. it feels very dumbed down.

still though i'm getting my ass handed to me. i'm bad at reading the enemies to predict what attack they're gonna do. when the read text comes up that's when i struggle. i know to dodge/jump but just can't get it right. i need to take a break right now after dying about 10 times to this one enemy.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think we can all agree now. its tougher than any souls game

this feels like it demands you to pay closer attention to animation of the enemies because timing is much more important and you need to be able to read their moves. this is in soulsborne too but you could get through it easily without paying too much attention. it's definitely catching me off guard because of this.

this feels like it demands you to pay closer attention to animation of the enemies because timing is much more important and you need to be able to read their moves. this is in soulsborne too but you could get through it easily without paying too much attention. it's definitely catching me off guard because of this.

the game at certain points has been enraging me. thats a sign of a good game

-MD-

just started it. i'm only at the point where you
wake up after losing your arm and talk to the sculptor.

very early impressions so far as that it is too easy. i had way more trouble dealing with Dark Souls/Bloodborne very early on. only one enemy gave me trouble
the one before the bridge that you need to give 2 deathblows.
parrying is too damn easy and i sucked at it in soulsborne.

that all said i've died about 5 times so far and i do expect it'll get harder.

It's too easy because that's literally 10 minutes into the game, it's the tutorial.

I'm not even sure how you died once let alone 5 times there. You're gonna get destroyed once you leave that house

Codes 208

After several hours of non-stop playing I can definitely say this game is at its core a soulsborne game. But unique as well, kind of like going from dark souls to bloodborne. I’m really liking the prosthetic abilities as an alt to older mechanics and the gameplay movement feels about as fluid as bloodborne’s

i think we can all agree now. its tougher than any souls game
It’s pretty hard, but I think part of it is just getting used to the ropes, there was a time I thought Iudex Gundyr was super hard. But after a dozen playthroughs he’s just a small hurdle for me now.

Last edited:
jesus how fickle are some of you people. "the one guy said once its like this one game one time IM NOT FUCKING BUYING IT IM SENDING THE UPS GUY BACK". jesus christ how the fuck do some of you live and just cant fucking enjoy something

its a fucking video game its fun. its challenging. fucking enjoy it

Since you about to loose your ish, and I hear you tho, i will give this game a shot. It's just hard to miss all these negatives folks dropping here...

-MD-

Started it and shut down after 30 minutes. Love From but i hate setting, same reason why i can't play Nioh, sold my copy easily with almost no $ wasted.

You could've watched a trailer or googled a picture of the game and saved yourself some trouble, especially if you're picky about "settings" in video games.

Last edited:

blackjon24

I once did this when I was a kid with the original metroid prime. I purchased the game again when I was a little older and wanted to slap my past self. The environments/setting in this game is probably going to be better than anything else releasing this year but whatever floats your boat

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lmao that's your own fault. nothing to do with the game. maybe do some research on a game before you buy it?

i'm not a huge fan of the japanese samurai thing. actually i totally avoided Nioh because of it. if Sekiro wasn't made by From Software I probably wouldn't even have bought it.

Dante83

Banned
To me, the game so far feels easier than a souls/borne game just due to the fact that you are so mobile and versatile. I love the setting a lot more than those games, and the graphics don't have that brownish or greyish look of past games. The environments feel atmospheric and is varied.

Last edited:

tassletine

First impressions are that it's not a bad game, but anyone hoping for a re-invigoration of any formula is going to be disappointed.
It doesn't feel new and I think if From weren't involved this wouldn't be getting as much praise.
Graphically it's unpolished, and it doesn't look like as much overall care has gone into it.

I keep getting reminded of other games. Nioh, Metal Gear Rising and even Shadows of Mordor (which isn't good).
It feels like a casual game with the difficulty ramped up. Easy levels, extremely tough bosses. Quite unbalanced. That bugs me as it makes the game lack a sense of overall flow.

You zip around everywhere freely taking out people, but then get roadblocked and slaughtered by the boss. Repeatedly -- So the majority of the game so far has been me grinding unispired boss fights.
Not sure if that's what I wanted from this game. By this point in the game Bloodborne had given me Father Gascoine, so far I haven't seen anything that even comes close to that in terms of presentation, or even outright fun.

7/10 at the moment.

Of course, the first Saturday I've had to work in months had to be the day after Sekiro is released. As with all From games, now all I can think about is getting home to play again. Still only about 3 hours playtime so far but it's been glorious.

Top Bottom