• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

GAMETA

Banned
Any Souls fans who were on the fence about this one taken the plunge? If so, mistake or no?

I did, and for the first 3 or so hours I thought I wouldn't like the game.

The beginning is somewhat "generic", in a sense that it doesn't have an impact nor gives you the "atmospheric" feel other Souls games do.

But the game really grows on you after the first few areas, and you soon realize it has the same greatness of the other main FromSoftware games... the awe kicks in as well :)

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i really love the run in this! infinite stamina so you can just run all over the place. real fun to run circles around baddies. it makes you realize how boxed in we were in those other games. the fastness of motion in this is so freeing.

KINDERFELD

Banned
It's really not a big deal, just buy one of those tears and cure it when needed. I think the system's misunderstood, all it affects is the chance to come back with full XP/gold which is only 1/3 to begin with. So basically it's meaningless when you're doing boss attempts. No way it should deter anyone from playing.

Why is it even in the game to begin with.
Its the one aspect that I've noticed so far that adds artificial difficulty.

A game design for you to die often, resulting in exp and money reduction is already enough punishment.
Now on top of that I have to worry about NPCs getting shinobi AIDS. That's just ridiculous.

Hotspurr

Banned
To those struggling with bosses. They key is to be quite aggressive and parry, the poise is pretty critical and can end fights much faster. Vitality seems to affects poise as well.

The game has its moments but for a game about Shinobi a few extra combos and cool moves would have helped.

LordOfChaos

Anyone trying to play on PC with Dualshock 4? Successfully?

Shinobi buddy started running in circles from the start, going into controller settings it seems to be assuming an XBO controller?

Also seem to have lost the USB cable part of my 360 controller lol

Last edited:
A very important but unexplained (I think) aspect of posture: you regain posture faster holding down block button than actually releasing it. For Souls peeps this would not be instinctive at all. I only realized this when I reached the drunkard giant dude and then posture actually mattered there.

Anyone trying to play on PC with Dualshock 4? Successfully?

Shinobi buddy started running in circles from the start, going into controller settings it seems to be assuming an XBO controller?

Also seem to have lost the USB cable part of my 360 controller lol

You need to go into Big Picture and then controller settings for the game and set up the gyro or whatever its called to "none". Thats the fix I think I don't have that issue so I'm not exactly certain. Google it up there are a lot of people with the same issue as yours.

KINDERFELD

Banned
it is a part of the story & lore of the game.

why are you able to revive after dying? that's pretty ridiculous too. now that you consider it, these games are a little unrealistic :messenger_winking_tongue:

You're missing my point.
There are already 2 penalties for dying. Adding a 3rd really doesn't accomplish much other than to turn off some players due to its annoying nature.

Its a bogus element in an otherwise, fine game to add artificial difficulty.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You need to go into Big Picture and then controller settings for the game and set up the gyro or whatever its called to "none". Thats the fix I think I don't have that issue so I'm not exactly certain. Google it up there are a lot of people with the same issue as yours.

Got it, thanks. Not sure if it was that step or getting DS4Windows and ticking 'hide DS4' that fixed it but it's working now. All the overlays are still XBO though.

GAMETA

Banned
You're missing my point.
There are already 2 penalties for dying. Adding a 3rd really doesn't accomplish much other than to turn off some players due to its annoying nature.

Not really because it doesn't matter.

Dragonroot does absolutelly nothing to gameplay, it's less impotant than beign human/hollow. It's a lore thing and it is as easy to cure as reversing the hollow state in the bonfire.

Maaan I'm so lost in this game ,don't know were to go,that kid tells me to follow some smoke on the rooftops and while doing that ,don't know where to go anymore,I've reached some place that I don't know how to get back,god damn it

Osukaa

Damn that OP is a labor of love. Its got me hyped to get this game and discuss everything here with everyone. Great job and hope this thread becomes legendary :)

Dunki

man there are so many ways all the time you can go. My Friend and I play basically at the same time and every time we talk i have no idea what he is doing . Until the Bull and then i was totally lost. Right now I am at the top of the castle fighting the boss there but this seems also pretty tough right now....

Also is this true that there is an Item that makes this game even harder? WTF.

Shifty

Annnd I've caved and bought the game.

My wallet curses you all for your hype.

Last edited:

Ivellios

This game is really good but i really wish for a online mode for coop against bosses.

Although i like the game im really bad at it, so im stuck on 2 bosses
Lady Butterfly and Bull on fire
and now i cant seem to progress at all.

And the game punishes you too hard for dying a thousand times on bosses, since NPCs start to get sick as well. How rare are the itens to cure the dragonrot?

Dunki

This game is really good but i really wish for a online mode for coop against bosses.

And the game punishes you too hard for dying a thousand times on bosses, since NPCs start to get sick as well. How rare are the itens to cure the dragonrot?
For the bull

Firecracker and stay near his ass and hit him all the time. Do not let him get away^^

For Lady Butterfly
Stay on her, attack twice, dodge forward left or right, attack twice, dodge forward left or right.... Rinses repeat. Shoot her out of the air with shurikens when she flies up then dodge towards her and get some cheap shots in when she's gathering herself up. When you see the ground unblockable attack show up, be ready to jump. If you're on point with your shurikens then you shouldn't need to worry about her airborne unblockable. Use the exact same strategy for the second phase and you should be good.

For the bull.
Use the firecracker prosthetic attachment and you should find it a lot more manageable.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned

Use the same thing you used on the General with the horse, it helps in both, especially the latter.

Also, in both cases, offense is the best defence.

Tekkie

Thanks, i will try to fight him again for the 1000th time using this

I would also
try to stick close, dodge to the side while hitting and chase him if he runs off, don't wait for him. If you wait for him he does that super powered horn attack (if he does do it, try to dodge forward so you move over it and not back) I didn't have the firecracker and I managed with just that. Maybe it helps.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm so early in but I'm just not completely sure if I'm feeling this one or not. It's way too early to have a negative opinion, so that's not what this is, I'm just not immediately hooked the way I expected to be.

I do all the training that opens up and I very easily time every hit out correctly there. But then when I get into a fight with a group of enemies, it feels like the timing isn't quite right or that it's not reading my input correctly. I know this isn't the case, I'm just saying it feels a little off. I'll come back to it later and give it some more time.

blackjon24

Hats off to Activision for being such a great publisher on this title! They seem to have learned a lot from working with platinum after TMNT since transformers devastation was also a great collaboration with a japanese company.

I really appreciate how much effort was made to make this game a lot more different than from software other recent games like bloodborne which has always felt "souls lite" to me. The traversal, level design and how involving the combat is will make this a hard game to top in 2019

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just fought Lady Butterfly for an hour and she kept kicking my ass lol. by now i can no-estus my way through her first phase but i inevitably get killed in the second. fun fight tho!!

RedVIper

Banned
just fought Lady Butterfly for an hour and she kept kicking my ass lol. by now i can no-estus my way through her first phase but i inevitably get killed in the second. fun fight tho!!

Her second phase is the exact same as the first one though, when she summons her adds just run around and take cover behind a pilar when the projectiles come at you. Except that wtv you do in the first phase repeat in the second one.

GAMETA

Banned
Some dude in another forum finished the game in 27 hours... can anyone confirm the duration? I was hoping to get around 45-50 :/

Dunki

Ok Beat Butterfly lady. Went on to the top of the Castle

Beat Genchiro. At least I thought so.. 3rd PHASE? Really? I was barely managing the two before.... WHHY!!!!

Fuck this game....

Last edited:

Shifty

What are the consequences of totally ignoring dragonrot? If none, then its extremely unnecessary.
From what I've heard, if you leave it long enough it stops certain NPCs from being interactible until you fix it.

It also reduces your chance of Unseen Aid.

Last edited:

Horatius

You're missing my point.

What are the consequences of totally ignoring dragonrot? If none, then its extremely unnecessary.

yeah, it's mostly lore related. it doesnt really add difficulty at all. it takes a very large amount of deaths to get to the point where npc dont interact, and even then it's easy to heal them back up.

it literally barely changes anything so idk why people are so worried about it, it's closer to hollowing from the souls games except there's no health punishment or anything.

Skyr

Ok Beat Butterfly lady. Went on to the top of the Castle

Beat Genchiro. At least I thought so.. 3rd PHASE? Really? I was barely managing the two before.... WHHY!!!!

Fuck this game....

Haha that was me yesterday. I felt rarely so discouraged like when that third phase started. I must have gotten destroyed more then 10 times in said third phase after I managed consistently getting through the first two. Honestly thought I would never beat it.

And then today I beat him on my second attempt quite easily.

Ow and that one boss I am facing right now makes him look like a cakewalk in comparison.
This game is taking years of my life...

V4skunk

Banned
Why is it even in the game to begin with.
Its the one aspect that I've noticed so far that adds artificial difficulty.

A game design for you to die often, resulting in exp and money reduction is already enough punishment.
Now on top of that I have to worry about NPCs getting shinobi AIDS. That's just ridiculous.
Dragon rot has nothing to do with difficulty....
If you want punishing go play DemonsSouls with its world tendency, specifically black.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Genichiro Ashina is still kicking my fucking ass. It's not even always the lightning, the whole fight can just go wildly differently for me each time - it's a good fight, there's just something not quite clicking for me.

Great game overall, think I just need a short break.

Mista

Banned
Genichiro Ashina is still kicking my fucking ass. It's not even always the lightning, the whole fight can just go wildly differently for me each time - it's a good fight, there's just something not quite clicking for me.

Great game overall, think I just need a short break.
If you gave up and need tips, I’ll gladly help.

Justin9mm

Did not get much chance to play on the weekend but I'm so shit at this game, I'm still stuck on the first general very early on. I have stealth killed him the first time and then have just been trying to parry all the time but I realise now I have not been using dodge and not attacking enough, will try again for the 100th time tonight after work!

Makariel

So looks like I managed my way to the first boss now (first one I've found at least, Butterfly). I still haven't quite figured out the combat system, seem to be deflecting at the wrong times (usually to early) and it took me way longer than it should have to learn how to counter the guys with spears.

Loving the grappling hook, been spending a lot of time just zipping around the place and trying to figure out where I can grapple onto.

I found people complaining about negativity rather funny.
So you're complaining that I'm complaining about complaints? :messenger_dizzy:
Whats the problem with people saying they don't enjoy the game?
I don't think we've been reading the same postings. If someone vows to refuse accepting the UPS delivery for the game, that's not someone saying they don't enjoy the game. That's just... weird.

Vawn

Banned
Yes. A systems graphical capabilities do not determine its quality.

I just did that, but I did a different method.

As you head up the stairs, you'll be able to hook shot on the left. Follow the roofs until you are above the boss. Plunge him for the first half kill. Then, you can pretty easily twirl attack and kill the rangers. At attack level 3, they went down in no time and I just had to fight the boss who alone (and half dead) isn't too difficult.

Top Bottom