• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Fast Striker is coming out on PS4 and PS Vita later in October (16th for NA, 17th for EU), $6.99. It previously released on Dreamcast and is considered one of the best doujin shmups on that system.

cormack12

Good time for a bump. I've been playing plasma sky on my phone ...its like 89p on Android store. Really cool game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good time for a bump. I've been playing plasma sky on my phone ...its like 89p on Android store. Really cool game.
Never heard of it, but sounds fun. Does it use touch-control or do you hook up a controller?

Touch-controlled shmups are "filthy casual" but are truthfully very fun to control and play. :pie_grinning_sweat:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Trailer for two shmups in SNK's 40th Anniversary collection was posted today (Vanguard and Alpha Mission):

Degika sale on steam - got myself Deathsmiles 60% off
I don't keep up on digital shmup releases so I appreciate you adding this to the thread. Thanks for posting!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Nice to see SNK doing pre Neo Geo stuff for a change. I actually like a lot of their games from the 80s. =)

cormack12

Never heard of it, but sounds fun. Does it use touch-control or do you hook up a controller?

Touch-controlled shmups are "filthy casual" but are truthfully very fun to control and play. :pie_grinning_sweat:

Touch. It's pretty basic but scratches an itch. Simple. Pick up and play. Game loop is fun etc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cross-posting from deep within the shmup community:

I thought this introductory video was a good overview of what makes shmups enjoyable.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Only console releases are listed -- are any of those coming to PC/Steam/etc.?
A lot of them are releasing on PC at the same time as consoles, but some are already out on Steam/PC. I do not follow PC releases. If you have any that you'd like me to post in the OT please post here or PM me.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wound up grabbing Zero Ranger the other day and am enjoying it quite a bit. So far it feels more in line with classic shmups than bullet hell since bullets don't get too terribly busy until boss fights. Also, there are cameos by ships from other classic shooters (or at least ships that look suspiciously like them). Haven't had much time to play, but so far, one mid-boss looked a lot like the Vic Viper, and another looked like the R-9 from R-Type. Anyway, I think it's a game to keep an eye on for fans of the genre.

Hudo

I might be late to the party but maybe someone might not now about this (Looks promising as fuck! And I say this as someone who favours vertical Shmups over horizontal Shmups (with exceptions...)).

Hudo

thanks Hudo Hudo and Mr Nash Mr Nash
I've added both to the OT. Haven't heard much about either.
One of the best OTs on here!

Also, I've just recently discovered the truth behind the dualism of Raizing (one of my favourite devs) and 8ting (Eighting). I thought those two were the same developer just that, at some point, the devs decided to rename themselves. But 8ting was established to offload publishing duties[1].

[1]: http://shmuplations.com/raizing/

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Black Bird's Steam page is up and the game is out some time this month (it's also coming to Switch). Looks like a very unusual, quirky shmup. Music in the trailer has me intrigued. =p

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm super fond of the art style in Black Bird. The villagers remind me of the masked koopas:

hqdefault.jpg

mrpeabody

Shout out to the best shmup on smartphones: Bullet Hell Monday.

P7KNzgT.png
p3QgBCp.png

Patterns, points items, bombs, slowdown. No story.

Starts very easy and gets very hard.

Features:
- gorgeous abstract art style
- nine ships with unique weapons and bombs
- amazing soundtrack
- chapter mode (50+ stages)
- challenge mode
- endless mode
- global leaderboards

trailer:

challenge stage #1:

Give it a try if you haven't.

Last edited:

Hudo

That art style kinda makes me want a new Geometry Wars. I still don't get why Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions was hated; I liked it very much. Although, peak Geometry Wars was Retro Evolved 2, I think.

Hudo

Hey people,

Just to give a heads up: Apparently a demo for Devil Engine will release this Friday. However, it appears to be Steam exclusive.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
For those of you who enjoy high-level play, LYX just posted a 2.003 billion run of Daioujou. It spans both loops of the game including a confrontation with the true final boss:

Also some fresh Gigawing 1CCs:

Last edited:

Shinriji

Gigawing is the one and only shmup that I can really 1cc at will. Too bad my dreamcast disk is damaged (the game works, but terribly glitched and almost unplayable).

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Would Cave be considered an indie developer? They self publish a lot of their games, but several have a company called AMI listed as publisher as well. So, I'm not sure who / what AMI and what the place's relationship to Cave is. Any ideas?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Would Cave be considered an indie developer? They self publish a lot of their games, but several have a company called AMI listed as publisher as well. So, I'm not sure who / what AMI and what the place's relationship to Cave is. Any ideas?
They're more indie than most devs that get called indie, yeah. AMI is just a publisher. Cave games have been published by Capcom and Atlus, too.

Hudo

For those of you who enjoy high-level play, LYX just posted a 2.003 billion run of Daioujou. It spans both loops of the game including a confrontation with the true final boss:

Also some fresh Gigawing 1CCs:

Man, that DoDonPachi video is amazing. I'm kinda afraid of the later Cave games. I liked DonPachi and DoDonPachi (and Ibara!) but never tried the later DoDonPachi games. And don't start with Mushihimesama, lol. Those games are fucking crazy. Ironically, this "fear" doesn't hold true for the ESP-games, dunno why.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, that DoDonPachi video is amazing. I'm kinda afraid of the later Cave games. I liked DonPachi and DoDonPachi (and Ibara!) but never tried the later DoDonPachi games. And don't start with Mushihimesama, lol. Those games are fucking crazy. Ironically, this "fear" doesn't hold true for the ESP-games, dunno why.

Saidaioujou is really tough, but Daifukatsu isn't too bad. Deathsmiles is also pretty relaxed as far as later Cave shmups go.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Man, that DoDonPachi video is amazing. I'm kinda afraid of the later Cave games. I liked DonPachi and DoDonPachi (and Ibara!) but never tried the later DoDonPachi games.
Daioujou, Daifukatsu, and Saidaioujou are all really solid although bog standard chaining games. They're the natural evolution/refinement of DDP's chaining + bee system so if you enjoy tightly-designed scoring shmups they are among the best, Daioujou in particular.

And don't start with Mushihimesama, lol. Those games are fucking crazy. Ironically, this "fear" doesn't hold true for the ESP-games, dunno why.
'cause ESP games let you stop bullets, that's why. :p

Mushi and Mushi Futari have bullet patterns that look worse than they actually are, plus there's a fair amount of bullet-cancelling enemies so it's not really that bad.

Ketsui is the one to fear...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Why do I feel the sudden urge to investigate...
It's getting a PS4 port by M2, in case you want to try it yourself. Definitely one of Cave's top 3 games.

Espgaluda 2 is the easiest cave game, by far. And one of my favourites.
Yeah, it's such a good game and the scoring is incredibly satisfying. Bullet cancelling like mad...

Daifukatsu is pretty darn easy too. Stages 1-4 are the tutorial and Stage 5 is the actual game :p

Shinriji

Been playing a lot of Aero Fighters 3 (Neogeo CD) and Gunbird 2 (Dreamcast). Both games have the incredible combination of jank and awesome that I love.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Been playing a lot of Aero Fighters 3 (Neogeo CD) and Gunbird 2 (Dreamcast). Both games have the incredible combination of jank and awesome that I love.
I've never played either, though I do own Gunbird 1 and Sonic Wings Special on the Saturn. I'm glad those versions can tate.

What makes you say they're janky? I always thought they were pretty well designed, Gunbird especially.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I don't know if I'd say Gunbird 2 is janky. I just find a lot of Psikyo's shmups came out during the era where the genre was transitioning from more traditional shooters to bullet hell. As such, it can feel a bit weird with the fast, slightly difficult to see bullets filling up more of the screen. It feels like the games are trying to have at least some bullet hell patterns and saturation, but they don't allow the slowdown that actual bullet hells have to help deal with them. Nothing inherently wrong with that, as it's not too hard to adjust. It just feels like part of the natural evolution of the genre.

Shinriji

What makes you say they're janky? I always thought they were pretty well designed, Gunbird especially.

Eh, janky was a strong word. But both games lacks some finesse, they have pretty short stages and long, stressful bosses. Also, both start at the beginning at the last stage if you continue (yeah, yeah, I know...). But I don't really care for the shortcomings, I love both for what they are.

I don't know if I'd say Gunbird 2 is janky. I just find a lot of Psikyo's shmups came out during the era where the genre was transitioning from more traditional shooters to bullet hell. As such, it can feel a bit weird with the fast, slightly difficult to see bullets filling up more of the screen. It feels like the games are trying to have at least some bullet hell patterns and saturation, but they don't allow the slowdown that actual bullet hells have to help deal with them. Nothing inherently wrong with that, as it's not too hard to adjust. It just feels like part of the natural evolution of the genre.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Hudo

Just out of curiosity, have you tried/played Batsugun? I think that it kinda addresses some of the problems you mentioned. Ironically, it's made by Toaplan (Crazy guys who used to go to company retreats to beat each other up, lol). Batsugun really left an impression on me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Both games have pretty short stages and long, stressful bosses. Also, both start at the beginning at the last stage if you continue (yeah, yeah, I know...).
They're definitely old-school, that's true. They feel like a natural extension of the Toaplan/Raizing/Taito/Warashi style of shmup.

Whereas Cave was like "y'all need to learn how to score better so here's some chains in your chains so you can score while you score".

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wish Psikyo would put their compilations on Steam. At least then the games would carry on through generations a little easier. It's all well and good to put them on Switch, but the console will be retired eventually, so a decade or so down the line they'll have to release the game again on a new system. It's the same thing that irked me about the Virtual Console. Those games would only be on that system and you'd better hope they get released again on the next one, and even then people will be required to re-buy the games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wish Psikyo would put their compilations on Steam. At least then the games would carry on through generations a little easier. It's all well and good to put them on Switch, but the console will be retired eventually, so a decade or so down the line they'll have to release the game again on a new system. It's the same thing that irked me about the Virtual Console. Those games would only be on that system and you'd better hope they get released again on the next one, and even then people will be required to re-buy the games.
True. I'd even be happy with a GOG release. Since a lot of the PC shmup community plays on heavily-tweaked emulators anyway, GOG could rake in some cash merely by offering official, tested copies of ROMs for purchase and open usage.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another snippet of shmup news, this time for any French-literate GAF members:

Retro-Mag/Retro Chronicles has their third volume coming out titled Shoot'em Up Vertical.

https://fr.ulule.com/chronique-shmup-v/

The French shmup scene is rather vibrant, moreso than in the USA. There are a ton of top Western players over there. If you can read French, this would be a cool pickup.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Devil Engine demo is live, and they Tweeted out an offer: download the demo, post your score (video or screenshot), and the top 3 scores will get a Steam key for the full game:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Well, the gauntlet's been thrown with that contest. Doubt I'll win a free game, but might as well fiddle around with it. The game looks good.

Hudo

Devil Engine demo is live, and they Tweeted out an offer: download the demo, post your score (video or screenshot), and the top 3 scores will get a Steam key for the full game:

I never win those things but I will try anyway :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom