• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmups |OT| DoDonMuchihimetruxton Arrange v1.5

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is it any good ?
Good question! I never played it as it was a Japan-only PSP game. Between this, Zero Gunner 2, Strikers III, and [one more game] we could even get a PSiKYO Collection Vol.3, but I'm not holding my breath.

If [One More Game] was Cannon Spike that would be incredible, but it'll more likely be Gunbarich since that's already on the eShop.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
[Original character do not steal or cross-post, okz]
xHE1k7Um.jpg

kEqnmddm.jpg

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi I had no idea the Switch did homebrew already. I'm guessing that's MAME running Progear?

I spent some time fiddling around with the PC version of Steel Empire and its decent. Had no idea the game came out on the 3DS eShop a few years ago, so presumably this is just a port of that. Not sure though. In any case, it has nicely spruced up visuals. The sprites are crisper and have more detail. Gameplay is still plenty fun. The game is very much an old school shooter with slower, less dense bullet patterns, and players' plane has a fairly big hit box compared to modern shmups. Only issue I had was that in full screen the resolution was out of whack. I could only see the upper left corner of the screen. As such, I had to Alt-Enter to force the game to windowed mode. After that things were fine. Anywho, it's proving to be an enjoyable old school shmup that should keep me busy until R-Type Dimensions comes out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi I had no idea the Switch did homebrew already. I'm guessing that's MAME running Progear?
RetroArch with the FBA core. This allows run-ahead, so in terms of input lag it's running at about 2 frames, equivalent to the PCB.

I'm also waiting for R-Type Dimensions. Haven't played Steel Empire since I owned a GBA. I believe the version you're talking about and the GBA version are pretty different, though.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The other nice thing about the Switch getting these games is that it's helping get a few portable options out there for the genre. Generally, it's pretty touch and go for handheld shmups. I think the PSP was one of the few exceptions, as there were a decent amount on that system, albeit quite a few were imports iirc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What shmups have people been hammering on lately?

I am neck-deep into Daioujou on PS2, roughing out the edges of my 1CC run. My aim is to score 100M or more and I am full-chaining the levels accordingly. I have full chains for stage 1 and stage 2 down, but I cannot chain the latter halves of Stage 3, 4, and 5.

Saw this piece of potentially-sad news:

Kaminari Games focusing on non-shmup genres. This is Moss Studio's (Caladrius, Raiden) offshoot team they announced a while back. While it could be seen as a chance for the developer to expand, this will likely be a pivot away from the shmup genre into something more profitable. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but many other shmup devs followed the same path.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've been futzing around with Danmaku Unlimited 3 and am terrible at its grazing mechanic. =p

It's unfortunate about Moss, but it's tough to make money on a shmup as it is. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for a studio like theirs making comparatively large budget ones. The genre will likely go back to being heavily pixel-based with teams of 5 people max for quite some time.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Aero Fighters 2 (NGCD) and Gunbird 2 (DC). AF2 me and my friend are doing a high score battle and having a blast. Gunbird 2 I'm getting frustrated because I can't even get to 1-6.

I find Psikyo games tend to see their difficulty ramp up quite a bit after about the fourth level.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've been futzing around with Danmaku Unlimited 3 and am terrible at its grazing mechanic. =p

It's unfortunate about Moss, but it's tough to make money on a shmup as it is. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be for a studio like theirs making comparatively large budget ones. The genre will likely go back to being heavily pixel-based with teams of 5 people max for quite some time.
I have that on Switch. Very fun game! I wish it was more colorful. That's my only complaint, but the soundtrack and gameplay more than make up for it.

Aero Fighters 2 (NGCD) and Gunbird 2 (DC). AF2 me and my friend are doing a high score battle and having a blast. Gunbird 2 I'm getting frustrated because I can't even get to 1-6.
You're further in both those games than I am. :p

Just shooting for a 1CC or trying to post a good score as well? Good luck on your progress!

Shinriji

You're further in both those games than I am. :p

Said the guy that can 1CC daioujou. I can't do that even on the iphone version, LOL.

Just shooting for a 1CC or trying to post a good score as well? Good luck on your progress!

My friends and I have a retro community on discord and we are doing weekly challenges. We already played Final Fight (High Score), Sonic 1 (speedrun), Super Mario Kart (Time Attack) and now AF2 (high score). Its mainly just for fun, but shit got real with Sonic. Some of them got very, very close to the WR and was amazing to see that in real time.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Astebreed (a hybrid between 2D-plane shmup and Star Fox-esque rail sections) will arrive on Switch. No release date yet, unfortunately.

I have the PS4 version and it's a solid game. Some shmup fans poo-poo'd it because it wasn't "pure" enough and for the rest it just fell under the radar.

astehoming.gif

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/astebreed-coming-to-switch
Oh wow, how did I miss this announcement?

I love the genre -- it has the feel of a shmup, but the 3rd person view of a zooming-by background and targets really changes the atmosphere.

Must-play titles of the genre -- Sin & Punishment by Treasure, and... Ok, gaf, help me out here. There was this arcade cabinet in the '90s with a a shooter of the same genre -- I can't remember the title or the vendor, but it must have been a 32bit cabinet. What I do remember is player controlling some kind of a futuristic vehicle, and there was one very prominent (at least for my skills back then -- took my coins en masse) boss fight against some sort of a giant robot snake/centipede on a surface with groves/channels and mechanical doors. Also, there was some very contrasting color palette on that level -- yellow vs some darkish purple or gray.

Last edited:

Shinriji

Ok, gaf, help me out here. There was this arcade cabinet in the '90s with a a shooter of the same genre -- I can't remember the title or the vendor, but it must have been a 32bit cabinet. What I do remember is player controlling some kind of a futuristic vehicle, and there was one very prominent (at least for my skills back then -- took my coins en masse) boss fight against some sort of a giant robot snake/centipede on a surface with groves/channels and mechanical doors. Also, there was some very contrasting color palette on that level -- yellow vs some darkish purple or gray.

Night Striker?

Shinriji

It was exactly like Night Striker, but that particular boss fight that I seem to remember is not in the original Night Striker.. Perhaps a clone/spiritual sequel. Could even have been on the original Taito Z. Thanks for the hint!

I have the PS1 version of Night Striker, and I remember having a mechanical centipede boss. In fact, that info (+futuristic vehicle) was the things that made me think of Night Striker.

Last edited:

Hudo

Untypically for me, I am currently pretty immersed into a horizontal Shmup by Irem called "In The Hunt". The spritework and animations feel a lot like Metal Slug, which is my way of saying: It looks awesome as fuck. I am also looking into playing the very first RayForce (aka Galactic Attack / Layer Section) by Taito. Both on Sega Saturn, btw. The mechanic of "Mark and Execute/Release" looks like it feels really satisfying!

Lastly, I just want to say that the Sega Saturn is one of the best purchases I have made. The console feels like a magic box, haha.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Untypically for me, I am currently pretty immersed into a horizontal Shmup by Irem called "In The Hunt". The spritework and animations feel a lot like Metal Slug, which is my way of saying: It looks awesome as fuck. I am also looking into playing the very first RayForce (aka Galactic Attack / Layer Section) by Taito. Both on Sega Saturn, btw. The mechanic of "Mark and Execute/Release" looks like it feels really satisfying!

Lastly, I just want to say that the Sega Saturn is one of the best purchases I have made. The console feels like a magic box, haha.

In the Hunt is way underrated. One of my favorite shmups. The team actually went on to make Metal Slug so that's likely why you noticed the similarities.

Layer Section is also really fun. It's one of those shmups that fully embraces "arcade spectacle" from start to finish.

cireza

Many awesome shmups on Sega Saturn (my personal favorite being Sengoku Blade).

I recommend Soukyugurentai. Great use of the hardware, full-screen, very enjoyable game. Same league as Radiant Silvergun, imho.

Last edited:

Hudo

Many awesome shmups on Sega Saturn (my personal favorite being Sengoku Blade).

I recommend Soukyugurentai. Great use of the hardware, full-screen, very enjoyable game. Same league as Radiant Silvergun, imho.
Can confirm: Soukyugurentai is really great. To my shame, I haven't really played Radiant Silvergun. Only on one occasion really. Need to get back to it at some point.

Did someone play Blast Wind and/or Hyper Duel? Both are by TecnoSoft on the Saturn. They look really interesting but I've read divided opinions on both games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can confirm: Soukyugurentai is really great. To my shame, I haven't really played Radiant Silvergun. Only on one occasion really. Need to get back to it at some point.

Did someone play Blast Wind and/or Hyper Duel? Both are by TecnoSoft on the Saturn. They look really interesting but I've read divided opinions on both games.
Both games are more expensive than they're worth, unfortunately.

Blast Wind is skippable. I wouldn't even list it in the Top 20 Saturn shmups.

Hyper Duel is amazing. It is Technosoft's swan song. The Saturn version is the superior version compared to the arcade, too, so that adds to its cost.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
In the Hunt is great. Irem had a lot of quality shmups beyond R-Type. I particularly like Image Fight and Air Duel, a couple of their not so frequent forays into vertical shooters.

Layer Section is also really fun. It's one of those shmups that fully embraces "arcade spectacle" from start to finish.

I never got to play it in the arcades but I loved the booming audio and explosions in the "Galactic Attack" Saturn port. It's a shame neither of the sequels were anywhere near as good as RayForce.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I never got to play it in the arcades but I loved the booming audio and explosions in the "Galactic Attack" Saturn port. It's a shame neither of the sequels were anywhere near as good as RayForce.
Thankfully Souky is there to fill in the gap.

Another thing I like about Layer Section is that it came out before danmaku took over the genre. It's nice to see such high production values given to a "classic style" shmup.

1526591563001.gif

Hudo

Both games are more expensive than they're worth, unfortunately.

Blast Wind is skippable. I wouldn't even list it in the Top 20 Saturn shmups.

Hyper Duel is amazing. It is Technosoft's swan song. The Saturn version is the superior version compared to the arcade, too, so that adds to its cost.
Thanks! I will add Hyper Duel to my backlog, then :D

There's also Mars Matrix (published by Capcom) for the Dreamcast (and arcades). It looks more like an "entry level" Cave/Danmaku game, interestingly.

Btw: Replay Burners is a nice channel.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think I'm going to make an effort to 1cc 1942. It's something I've wanted to do for years, but never really got around to. It'll be interesting. The game feels more like learning enemy behavior than consistent patterns given how the planes fly. The tough part will be keeping my distance from enemies given how much they like to snipe at close range for cheap deaths. XD

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think I'm going to make an effort to 1cc 1942. It's something I've wanted to do for years, but never really got around to. It'll be interesting. The game feels more like learning enemy behavior than consistent patterns given how the planes fly. The tough part will be keeping my distance from enemies given how much they like to snipe at close range for cheap deaths. XD
One of the shmup guys in a Discord I'm in runs a shmup-of-the-month with his forum. They did 1942 for October if you want to peruse the comments.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another shmup dev appears to be pivoting away from the genre:

Gulti has made the Raiden Fighters spinoff series, Momorokun Curse, and RXN Raijin. They've now renamed themselves to Kayac Akiba Studio as of October 19.

They mention smartphone development and pushing into other genres. If I'm not mistaken, RXN Raijin didn't sell very well and so maybe that is why they are finding other genres to forge ahead as a studio.

Disappointing. Raiden Fighters is an excellent franchise (superior to the mainline games, IMO) and Momorokun is a good update to the Pocky & Rocky genre. Haven't played RXN but as I mentioned above I'm pretty sure it flopped.

Source at Gematsu

Last edited:

Hudo

I've recently had the opportunity to play Summer Carnival '92: Recca by Naxatsoft. It was more or less by accident but I played it and was impressed. It played well and what the devs did with the NES hardware is impressive. (However, I still think that Mayhem in Monsterland is one of the most impressive 2D games I've seen, given the hardware). Anyway, Summer Carnival '92 kinda reminded me of those Touhou games and I thought this might be of interest.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Having already played Ikaruga, what other Switch shmups would you recommend?
Hard to only recommend one because there are quite a few available:
The PSiKYO shmups (Strikers 1945 series, Gunbird 1 & 2, Samurai Aces series, Sol Divide, etc)
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Blazing Star
Aero Fighters 2
Shikhondo
RXN Raijin
Plenty of others than I'm sure I've forgotten.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Astebreed has a delicious video in the upcoming-games section on the eshop.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Tried playing Dondonpachi Resurrection Arrange mode the proper way and I have some questions starting with basic and simple stuff

First, which is the Hyper Counter? Is it the vertical or horizontal left bar? Is Hyper Rank also a bar or just a number? What is the Red Gauge on the right called?

I know how to fill the upper right gauge till it turns red, pressing shoot and turbo shoot, but question is what is the use of it? Is it only there to reach the game's hidden mode? In the gameplay video I see that this bar is partially emptied and refilled again.
What are the conditions for it?

Also the hyper gauge is filled too (left vertical line) and emptied as well.
Same for the left horizontal line. Does it fill if you dodge bullets? What is their use and how can I utilise them?

Also I read that you can absorb bullets but is this possible without using bombs?
Playing without having a clue I had maxed out around 28 billion points the most with 1 cc at stage 3 after much difficulty.
I restarted straight in boss 3 with almost zero points and after beating him I got suddenly 27 billion points after absorbing the bonus stars! How was this possible? Had I known the mechanics I could have reached 80 billion
About combos and stuff I try to discover it by playing

I know there is this 2.5 long hour video too that explains everything in detail, but it will confuse me even more

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Tried playing Dondonpachi Resurrection Arrange mode the proper way and I have some questions starting with basic and simple stuff
The Hyper Counter (horizontal) and the Combo Meter (vertical bar) are both in the left corner. When you drop your Combo Meter (vertical gauge) the Hits reset to zero. In BL Arrange, I think hypers and bombs are one and the same.

Collecting a Bee Medal at the moment it flashes white cancels bullets into large stars. Otherwise, collecting them bullet-cancels into small stars.

The Rage meter (red bar in the upper right) has to do with the Ura loop and maximum scoring. Full details at the link (scroll down to the section about Black Label and Ketsupachi).

I don't believe there is any 'graze' mechanic (i.e. bonuses for dodging bullets).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Psyvariar Delta got an updated 'Delta' arrange mode, based on Revision. New enemy placements and bullet patterns as a result, totaling three different arranges for the game (Medium Unit, Revision, and Delta).

Thanks Siliconera

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Darius Cozmic collection new trailer!

Includes Darius Gaiden which is the best one (yeah, my bias is showing) so that's all you need to know.

Hudo

Releases November 29th on PC, Switch, X1, and PS4.

Looks like a fun update to the Twinkle Star Sprites formula.

Darius Cozmic collection new trailer!

Includes Darius Gaiden which is the best one (yeah, my bias is showing) so that's all you need to know.

Goddamn, Rival Megagun seems like something I wanna look into. I've just recently played Twinkle Star Sprites for the first time and I really like the concept.

Darius was always a series that has eluded me. Is that series actually related to Gradius? (I liked Nemesis 1 and 2). I'm afraid to touch it because I generally tend to like vertical Shmups more. But then again, I was also pleasantly surprised by Viewpoint, which is an isometric Shmup.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Goddamn, Rival Megagun seems like something I wanna look into. I've just recently played Twinkle Star Sprites for the first time and I really like the concept.

Darius was always a series that has eluded me. Is that series actually related to Gradius? (I liked Nemesis 1 and 2). I'm afraid to touch it because I generally tend to like vertical Shmups more. But then again, I was also pleasantly surprised by Viewpoint, which is an isometric Shmup.

Darius is its own thing. Darius games are much bigger than your average shmup due to branching paths.

sagaia-u-b1001.jpg

Each of those letters represents a unique stage.

Darius is made by Taito and Gradius is by Konami. Their gameplay is fairly similar, though.

Top Bottom