• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MvmntInGrn said:
Not as ugly once I saw you say it was disassembled. The fonts do seem awkward though.

More than anything the size is getting me, both the top and bottom look very thin, the BD drive would force that thing to be bigger I would imagine.

maybe there's another thin strip that goes in between the two.

i can't believe i'm speculating on this.

MvmntInGrn said:
Not as ugly once I saw you say it was disassembled. The fonts do seem awkward though.

More than anything the size is getting me, both the top and bottom look very thin, the BD drive would force that thing to be bigger I would imagine.
Well the PS3 is like a sandwich (Hur Hur) there's 3 major pieces to it and we only have shots of the top(Cover), bottom(Fan) and side shots. The middle piece is missing(Thin part) so...I can see it all fitting in. But Sony tends to go for sharp lines and not so much curvature in regards to interior elements as depicted by the BDROM area. Why is that curved!?

west

MvmntInGrn said:

EDIT: The more I look at it the bigger it looks really.

It looks thin because the middle part with the touch sensitive buttons is missing. Its just two parts of the shell, not the whole shell. Like a hamburger with no beef. :D

Edit: Beaten to death ( But I already stated this before so its ok )

Hazaro said:
No room for fan, fake.

the fan on the current PS3 is in the middle of the heatsink.

fan2.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wollan said:
In the very least someone actually took the effort to mold this.
What kind of beast would do such a thing?

Well, like some people are saying, it could be a Chinese manufacturer that's throwing an SNES ripoff inside the fake PS3slim shell.

so I guess the Chinese scamming industry is the beast that would do such a thing :lol

billy.sea

Banned
Well it's been 3 years since PS3 was released. It wouldn't be impossible to have much small parts for the same tech, right? They could even take out some components and call this the "arcade" version and sell it for $249. (8gb flashdrive, the components space that made older PS3 PS2-compatible, less USB output, wifi etc).

Tobor

Wollan said:

So beyond the fact that I like the design, the inevitable backflipping on this would be hilarious. PLEASE BE REAL.

west

Danthrax said:
Well, like some people are saying, it could be a Chinese manufacturer that's throwing an SNES ripoff inside the fake PS3slim shell.

so I guess the Chinese scamming industry is the beast that would do such a thing :lol

And this is propably true.

But most Chinese ripoffs just don't have USB slots and a Hardrive slot etc. They usually just copy the form factor (And the print Pony instead of Sony not to get sued out of their houses), this is not even a copy of something existing.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Wollan said:

I actually find the cardboard box shot, which shows unusually accurate adherence to brand standards*, the most convincing part of... whatever this is. Pranksters rarely go to the lengths of making a believable package and almost never do they stick to brand rules.

* Yes, the PS3 type is completely new. But given the unappealing Spider-Man font and Sony's possible attempts to go after the PSone/PS2 crowd with a shorter name that doesn't have the same name of the third place console makes a lot of sense.

Wollan

Tobor said:
So beyond the fact that I like the design, the inevitable backflipping on this would be hilarious. PLEASE BE REAL.
Well it looks more or less like the current PS3 only flatter and less wide (and with a small curve next to the disc slot).

Tobor

Wollan said:
Well it looks more or less like the current PS3 only flatter and less wide (and with a small curve next to the disc slot).

Exactly. It looks far more appealing. And you have to admit, the box looks fairly legit. It's a good fake, if it's a fake.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jett said:
An obvious fake. Sony's not gonna change the PLAYSTATION 3 branding "just because".

well, they changed from PlayStation to PSOne when they slimmed their first console down. switching from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 seems in-line with their historical actions.

I mean it would make more sense if it said "PSThree" but this is Sony here, so they can't make complete sense.

Wollan

Tobor said:
A picture of an existing PS3. What's your point?
The hamburger design of the original.

We only have two pieces here (of three) from this potential slim.
We're missing the burger (not to mention the internals in general).

ZeoVGM

Banned
jett said:
An obvious fake. Sony's not gonna change the PLAYSTATION 3 branding "just because".

Well, they did that with PSone, and this gen, they may actually NEED some rebranding.

Tobor said:
A picture of an existing PS3. What's your point?
It matches the two pieces I referred to earlier. The images leaked* are very similar but smaller and the second layer under the PS3 cover is evident.

Tobor

CrushDance said:
It matches the two pieces I referred to earlier. The images leaked* are very similar but smaller and the second layer under the PS3 cover is evident.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.

Kinan

Well, I kinda like how it looks on the box, but plastic is very cheap and thin, overall quality of finishing is totally not Sony.

Not to mention the desicion to not utilize the whole area for the full "Playstation 3" logo would be very weird, even weirder than the font change.

Saying that I do hope that they will release a slim version this Christmas/eary next year. Its about time.

Wollan

In any case, a potential slim model wouldn't be revealed before August at the earliest.
They need to try to clear out as much as possible of the old model first, lets see if they do an E3 price drop.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kinan said:
Well, I kinda like how it looks on the box, but plastic is very cheap and thin, overall quality of finishing is totally not Sony.

Maybe they're going to price it $200 or $250 and using cheaper materials is part of how they'll achieve that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SIP YEK NOD said:
oh, didn't realize they had to use the same size fan and heatsink.
With no die shrink and same level of power and heat I don't think we will see a smaller revision like that since quietness is a priority.

It just doesn't look like it would cool.

west

This would also go hand in hand with the rumored 45nm die shrink for 2009. Would also explain the need for less vents.

Averon

I doubt Sony will do a price drop soon after seeing their just release financials. A redesign, even if it's still $399.99, will increase sales and interest of the PS3 without taking a costly hit.

Hazaro said:
With no die shrink and same level of power and heat I don't think we will see a smaller revision like that since quietness is a priority.

It just doesn't look like it would cool.

The original PS3s had 90nm Cells and GPUs with 180 watt power usage. Current systems use 65nm Cells and GPUs with 110 watt power usage. IBM has already developed a 45nm cell. Not to mention the originals had PS2 chips on top of that. There is definite room for a smaller heatsink and fan.

hirokazu

KeiichiInafune said:
FAKE they just changed to a new PS3 logo in the shitty Spiderman font

vxu9d.jpg

I doubt they would change it again so soon.
I think that was a good move too, the full PLAYSTATION 3 logo isn't very easy to read in certain advertising, for example the field-side ads during football.

The new logo is exactly how the the PSP logo is, with the PLAYSTATION 3 in a more sensible font underneath. That said, I have grown fond of the full logo. It looks nice when it's legible.

Oh, and OP pics look faker than fake.

hirokazu

MvmntInGrn said:
The plot thickens!
Not really, it's further evidence to prove the redesign is fake, given that they've only just started using that recently and they're unlikely to change to a completely different logo so soon. If those pics used the PS3 logo Sony's just adopted there, though...

DrXym

The PS3 could be shrunk right now. The original PS3 had 90nm parts, PS2 parts for BC, an enormous heatsink, an enormous fan, 4 USB ports, SD/MS reader, an enormous PSU and a chunky BDR packed into the case. It weighed a ton.

Since that point, the mainboard has already be redesigned 3 times and is 2/3 the size already without considering a move to 45nm. The PSU, heatsink and fan would also be smaller because there is less power and less waste heat to get rid. And Sony has long been on record about producing smaller BD parts such as reader heads so the drive could be much smaller too.

I'm inclined to think the pics could be real. Maybe its my wishful thinking. They're clearly top and bottom parts of a shell so its hard to judge the actual size but width wise it looks about 70% the size of the original model. There is much less space around the BD feeder slot, both to the sides and above / below, and USB ports have moved up to the left of the slot.

I think it's quite feasible that a slim could be 60-70% the size of the original by volume which is pretty slim. I don't even think it saying PS3 instead of Playstation is a sign of anything fake, after all PS3 is a Sony trademark too.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Linkified said:
Fake, but wouldn't they go PSthree instead of PS3 as the slims have always done this.

Only the original PlayStation did this. The PlayStation 2 has always been the PlayStation 2/PS2.

There is no PStwo.

hirokazu

Linkified said:
Fake, but wouldn't they go PSthree instead of PS3 as the slims have always done this.
The slim PS2 didn't do this, or at least it was never revealed to, the only indicator that Sony may have considered doing so was the "two" in the corner of the box when they were first introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom