• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps1_logo.jpg

logo_psone.gif

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Danthrax said:
Maybe they can't drop the price below $400 without a hardware revision.

I agree. A price drop on existing hardware, with the knowledge that all future manufacturing will be reduced by the slim model. But as someone said earlier I wouldn't expect them to announce the slim until they clear the channels of existing stock or people might just hold out.

Zaptruder

Banned
I think it actually looks pretty decent. A good size for any console; not too small, not too big.

Would make it a hell of a lot cheaper for Sony as well, which is more than anything else a driving concern (more than the fact they're selling poorly! I mean, who cares if you're selling poorly when you're taking a loss per unit even after tie ratio is accounted for?!).

Cheap plastics (not even that cheap; looks like PSP/PS2 quality), smaller size, lighter, less bulky, cheaper to transport, stock, etc, runs cooler due to smaller die process, requires a smaller fan... all around cheaper and better for Sony's bottom line.

Other than the PS3 logo been 'off' (which isn't without precedent as others have shown with the PSOne logo), and the crappiness of the picture quality, and the possibility of it been a shell for some knock off, it seems to be at the very least a mockup with a great deal of effort put into it, and possibly even an example of GAF throwing away a diamond in the rough (as far as scoops go).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Zaptruder said:
I think it actually looks pretty decent. A good size for any console; not too small, not too big.

Would make it a hell of a lot cheaper for Sony as well, which is more than anything else a driving concern (more than the fact they're selling poorly! I mean, who cares if you're selling poorly when you're taking a loss per unit even after tie ratio is accounted for?!).

Cheap plastics (not even that cheap; looks like PSP/PS2 quality), smaller size, lighter, less bulky, cheaper to transport, stock, etc, runs cooler due to smaller die process, requires a smaller fan... all around cheaper and better for Sony's bottom line.

Other than the PS3 logo been 'off' (which isn't without precedent as others have shown with the PSOne logo), and the crappiness of the picture quality, and the possibility of it been a shell for some knock off, it seems to be at the very least a mockup with a great deal of effort put into it, and possibly even an example of GAF throwing away a diamond in the rough (as far as scoops go).

yeah the more I read the Chinese forum this came from (through Babelfish, Lord help me) the more I think this might be real. they sound convinced, anyway, and the OP keeps talking to them about it.

from what I can make out from the bad translations, he says it's about 1/3 lighter than the current PS3.

west

Danthrax said:
yeah the more I read the Chinese forum this came from (through Babelfish, Lord help me) the more I think this might be real. they sound convinced, anyway, and the OP keeps talking to them about it.

from what I can make out from the bad translations, he says it's about 1/3 lighter than the current PS3.

They also claim that mass production started right at the beginning of the fiscal quarter.

Edit: They also say the motherboard is smaller.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd wait for some corroborating evidence to support this. Like a patent or a FCC filing, or even a new trademark (since this case sports a new PS3 logo).

I also don't think the Ninja Gaiden trailer indicates rebranding..that PS3 logo has been around for a long time, and it differs from this one (font is different).

It would also be reasonably easy for someone working in a plant in China to mock this up..so bear that in mind. Yes, it's more sophisticated than a regular 'chop, but that doesn't mean it's real.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
from what I gather, the Chinese OP picture taker said there were slight changes to the motherboard and he thinks it'll be on sale by the end of the year. who knows how much he's just talking out of his ass, though.

he made his OP at 11:08 p.m. local time, which is 11:08 a.m. EDT. so GAF was a little slow on the uptake with this one by a few hours :lol

[edit] west edited the motherboard info into his post, bleh, I was sitting there reading for a while with a blank Reply form sitting in another tab.

itxaka

Defeatist
Tokyo Rain said:

Maybe I am mistaken but the name change was more of a move in order to catgorize it (as the ps2 was already out) and to "free" the PSX name that Sony wanted to use for their new media center project.

They just happen to use it on the redesign. IIRC I remember seeing some of the first ps1 boxes just being called PSX and Playstation

Wollan

TheFallen said:
please be a fake, looks hideous. I would never replace my panini grill with that. *hugs it*
But it looks pretty much the same? The proportions are different and it has a curve next to the disc slot but overall pretty close?

hirokazu

Panajev2001a said:
It is, it even has "two" on the box ;).

9265152283983685.JPG
That's just for identification of the new form factor when they first released it though. It wasn't meant for the public to start calling it PStwo (though it makes sense to), where as with the PSone, it was a deliberate decision to rename it.

xaosslug

hirokazu said:
That's just for identification of the new form factor when they first released it though. It wasn't meant for the public to start calling it PStwo (though it makes sense to), where as with the PSone, it was a deliberate decision to rename it.

sarcasm? :lol

xaosslug

hirokazu said:
Not really, but you can take it as sarcasm if you want. :)
what I mean is I think Pana was (mostly?) kidding as the 'two' on the box is a tiny 'un in the lower right corner(s)... :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Has anyone else measured this up?

Assuming the drive width is the same as the current one's, it doesn't work out that much smaller, width-wise - maybe 5cm narrower.

And that's assuming that drive opening has no waste..if it has a bit of 'waste' as with the current model, this one actually works out as being marginally wider than the existing model. Which wouldn't seem right at all.

That it would only be a small bit narrower wouldn't necessarily rule it out as being genuine..the bigger savings could afterall be with its depth and height. Width wise 5cm isn't I suppose entirely insignificant a savings anyway..it would place it pretty much in the middle between a PS2 slim (4cm bigger) and the current PS3 model (5cm smaller). But something to bear in mind.

DieH@rd

Banned
This model will definetley work, especialy of they have an external power supply [like on PS2 Slim]. And i think its time to not make it international. Curent ps3 power supply supports all power grids. [US console will work as a charm in EU, and vice versa]

Kadey said:
If real which I highly doubt, god damn is that thing ugly!
I think it looks fine. It just lack the last layer of that "glass" thingy.

Timan

Developer
billy.sea said:
The system case itself is convincing, but the card board box that comes with it looks very cheap unlike Sony's style.

Dunno about you, but my ps3 had the worst packaging ever. Brown cardboard box with a picture on it pretty much.

FirewalkR

Rayne.S said:
Its real.

Hmmm the plot thickens. Or are you gunning for a ban again? :lol

Anyway, this image

9tgum9.jpg

would be just the "cover", or the top part, right? Those supports below would fit somewhere, it seems.

billy.sea

Banned
If they really release this with a lower price point, along with the great upcoming lineup, I think they really might be back into the race.

There are a lot of rooms for them to slim their current model to cut cost. No reason to pay so much to manufacture such a big expensive glossy case when you don't need to. Also a good way for them to rebrand their machine to the masses.

I think this is real, but just a prototype. Sony is definitely planning a smaller version (like they always do), but not so soon.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Seems eerily familiar to the PSP 3k leak from a Chinese site. And regarding us knowing it's coming, no one knew the PSP 2k was coming iirc, there wasn't any tip off... People just thought it was coming. I say that this could easily be true, following the PSP front of the first slimline coming 2.5 years after launch @ E3. And Sony can't drop the price on the regular PS3 too much without lisib too much money. This could be a real possibility.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For larfs - my guesstimate based on the photos - assuming the drive opening has no 'waste' and the controller and unit on the box are 1:1.

295z78y.jpg

I think I f-ed up somewhere along the line though, the depth reduction looks too aggressive.

Yes Boss!

I'm convinced!

If it is true, I'll snap one up to replace my two other PS3s. Been waiting forever for a slim version and for Sony to get back on track and complete without the price barrier.

Anybody who doubts the size needs to take a good hard look at the new adapter-less Slimline PS2. Fucking thing is a masterwork of design.

Sleeker said:
Surely there be a skinny 360 in the pipeline too

Honestly, after the XBOX and 360, I seriously doubt MS has the ability to make a small system.

Rolf NB

I've been saying for a while that a major (visible) redesign will have to happen earlier than it did for the PS2, and probably twice within the generation.

However.

These pics ... they don't speak to me at all.

I couldn't make pics that bad if I tried. I can't fathom what kind of fucked up camera I'd need to employ to get these amounts of noise. Maybe stick a toothpick right through the CCD sensor and then spit on it. Image quality this horrible just has to be deliberately horrible. I accept no other explanation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sin said:
That is what I hear as well, out this year.

Pink...

And the same green as the other shots..

Still, someone at one of these factories could have mocked something up for laughs. Although it might be tricky to get the consent of their bosses given the trouble it could land them in.

Or someone else could have mocked it up and carefully recreated convincing 'factory' conditions to backdrop their shots to.. (less likely, perhaps!)

thaOwner said:
Ok, it's fake then. It was fun while it lasted.

These are old shots of a PS3 production line, but Sin is just pointing out the environmental similarties with the shots in the OP e.g. the pink materials, the green surfaces etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom