• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just signed up with a VPN service

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
...and I think it is one of the better things I spend (have spent) my money on.

It's uncanny how much less targeted advertising I receive. It's like it's 2007 on the internet again. I dunno if many share my views, but I am pretty particular about privacy on the internet, and every initiative by data-mining companies and websites to collect more cookies and other pertinent data is just too invasive for my tastes. NordVPN is now my provider, and I am quite satisfied with my experience.

Anyone else feel the same way? How many of us privately browse?

lifa-cobex

With the anti Jack off system supposedly coming in next month here in the UK. I'm certainly thinking about picking one up.

mcjmetroid

...and I think it is one of the better things I spend (have spent) my money on.

It's uncanny how much less targeted advertising I receive. It's like it's 2007 on the internet again. I dunno if many share my views, but I am pretty particular about privacy on the internet, and every initiative by data-mining companies and websites to collect more cookies and other pertinent data is just too invasive for my tastes. NordVPN is now my provider, and I am quite satisfied with my experience.

Anyone else feel the same way? How many of us privately browse?

Aren't you based in China though? I think I remember from another thread.

It's a must have over there. You'll actually find the internet even faster with a lot of apps.
I remember when I lived over there Skype was actually quicker with the VPN.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Aren't you based in China though? I think I remember from another thread.

It's a must have over there. You'll actually find the internet even faster with a lot of apps.
I remember when I lived over there Skype was actually quicker with the VPN.

Taiwan... not as useful.

As I am currently watching Taiwan News ( 台灣民視新聞 ) it might be necessary because issues like "fake news" and Chinese influence on media is a huge talking point right now.

Mahadev

Since the internet is becoming quite dystopian you really need these services imo and not just for the targeted advertising. You definitely don't want large shady organizations knowing all your secrets and preferences, you really can't predict how it'll be used against you in the future, the Chinese are already learning how it can.

NordVPN is value for money if you buy the 3 year plan, if you have more to spare I also suggest ExpressVPN which is pretty much the perfect VPN service but it's almost double the money.

Sleepydays

Banned
I was pretty happy with PIA until I realized that using a VPN jacked up my eBay account (it's apparently against their terms of service). Not sure how to get around that.

One thing I have noticed when using a VPN is that a lot of websites will ask you to turn it off otherwise you won't be able to do anything. I just choose not to go to those sites at that point. My privacy and security is more important than your site making money.

Last edited:
Just asking for a friend. Can ISP's and media companies track internet traffic from direct download sites like mega.nz and google drive?

Sometimes setting up a VPN on a virtual server on the proper service (DigitalOcean and the likes) is better than places like Nord if you have the proper Linux knowledge.

I use ProtonVPN though. It's owned by the ProtonMail guys, based outside of the Fourteen Eyes in Switzerland, and takes Bitcoin. Pretty good so far.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Here is a detailed vpn comparison. Not all are equal in terms of retention of log data and juristictional requirements

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

If you would like to know more about if you are truly protected by a vpn please reference this reddit summary.

Youll likely find many concerning things you may not know about. This is why the comparison site is useful.

Last edited:

keraj37

One thing - 100% security with VPN is an illusion. If any major institution wants to find out who is behind connection, they may force VPN provider to give IP and all data.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
One thing - 100% security with VPN is an illusion. If any major institution wants to find out who is behind connection, they may force VPN provider to give IP and all data.

I think this is only true if your VPN doesn't guarantee it is not keeping logs. In that case you aren't wrong.

Either way,

giphy.gif

Kirilen

Neo Member
For me it's scary if even vpn does not protect my dataI Im always in public places using the service VeePN I bought a package for a year it is cheap, but at least some guarantee is that my data will be protected in public Wi-Fi networks especially data of bank cards I use this service on all my gadgets, laptop, smartphone, tablet. At the moment I am calm.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I read about this heavily against using vpn, tldr: basically there are no guarantees that vpn provider will respect your privacy, and the fact that people that used vpn are usually more interesting to spy on, because they are willing to pay extra for slower internet.

https://gist.github.com/ohhdemgirls/734321ae735e488db198298cb7e421af

Only one that had been "proven" to not log user so far is private internet access: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technadu.com/private-internet-access-wins-against-fbi/30987/amp/. Again the company can flip the switch overnight to start logging user for more money or secretly working with the FBI (this article sounded like the perfect trap To round up a bunch of illegal activities).

kingwingin

are there any vpn that let you watch different countries netflix? or has that been stopped?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Just asking for a friend. Can ISP's and media companies track internet traffic from direct download sites like mega.nz and google drive?

the truth is that everything can be tracked, it doesn't matter what protocols you hide behind

will they? no, they're after the dealers not the consumers.

daveonezero

the truth is that everything can be tracked, it doesn't matter what protocols you hide behind

will they? no, they're after the dealers not the consumers.

Why wouldn't they? The end consumer individual is what everyone wants.

They who? I say if they can they will. Either state actors, corporations selling data or advertisers just trying to find out who you are.

ExpressVPN is the one I used because they are the only ones that allows you to watch BBC iplayer from outside the UK. I found that many of the top rated ones cannot do this.

longdi

Banned
Is VPN itself safe? I mean you going to login your banking and other paid accounts through them rather than through your regulated ISP?

I use NordVPN, got a 5 year membership for something super cheap, nearly 80% off. Here in Australia bitchute is banned among other things, so its a must.

Steven Brown

Neo Member
I’ve been using Private Internet Access for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. It’s fast and allows manual selection of a variety of servers around the US and the rest of the world. Last year they had a sale on Black Friday, so I’d recommend waiting until Black Friday vpn deals again, if you don’t need to buy one right now.

I tried CyberGhost before using PIA and didn’t like it as much, it was slower and didn’t have manual server selection (only automatic).

Grinchy

Banned

Here's what I don't understand about VPNs and how secure they really are. If the VPN is so easy to see through for something like a government body or major institution, why hasn't the Chinese government completely put a stop to its citizens using them to get outside news and stuff? Wouldn't using a VPN in China be a really dangerous thing to do if the VPN didn't actually work?

Ownage

Here's what I don't understand about VPNs and how secure they really are. If the VPN is so easy to see through for something like a government body or major institution, why hasn't the Chinese government completely put a stop to its citizens using them to get outside news and stuff? Wouldn't using a VPN in China be a really dangerous thing to do if the VPN didn't actually work?
Here's the secret: they know and use VPNs as means to identify who is worth monitoring.

Mihos

I am in China now, but I just VPN through my router to my ISP in the states. I have gig up and down on fiber, so it has been pretty seemless. I would definitely pay for one if I didn't have that option.

It's good for seeing YouTube and Twitter links on GAF

Last edited:

Kenpachii

VPN is great, it also helps with games. Whenever u got a bad connection and some hub somewhere is the issue, u just shift country's and get a good connection again as it routes you through different connections.

But at the same it's also pathetic people have to use vpn's these days. Internet has gone down the drain massively over the years when it comes to freedoms.

Is VPN itself safe? I mean you going to login your banking and other paid accounts through them rather than through your regulated ISP?

VPNs provide priavcy not anonymity. You're not suddenly going to become invisible when using a VPN on clearnet. You mostly dodge becoming a target for certain corporations' interests.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Supposing your connection to the VPN provider is encrypted, and supposing there's no way to tell who's accessing the web from the VPN IPs (it could be anyone using their service), and supposing the VPN service is being independently audited for not collecting records, etc...I'm not sure how "unsafe" it could be. Yeah, maybe if you were the target of some kind of investigation for something highly illegal that shit could be cracked, but for everyday Joe Shmo internet privacy, I bet it's pretty decent at keeping your web traffic private and off your permanent record or whatever. Courts have already ruled with stuff like Bittorrent a simple IP address match isn't enough to prove someone was doing X or Y activity online, add in the fact you're using a VPN where even more people could be using that IP address.... again, unless you're doing something really fuckin dumb and they're putting a lot of effort into unmasking you, you're probably fine.

Larogue

No. For example NordVPN was hacked, and the news broke 3 weeks ago.

You can only imagine the amount of unknown hackers, agencies, shady companies tapping on all these servers with or without the VPN provider knowledge.

harley finn

Neophyte
Reason to recommend OneVPN is it supports the open source Cisco OpenConnect (CSTP) protocol.

Those of you using Linux I recommend you guys experience Openconnect with cisco anyconnect, which is support by very few VPN provides, it’s an amazingly fast VPN protocol specially of Gaming. Yes of course windows 10 guys also use cisco anyconnect with OneVPN service.

Please follow one of these guides:

Linux: Ubuntu step by step guide for Cisco Anyconnent.

For Windows user its similar installation like linux cisco anyconnect or alternate is to use Openconnect native application
Windows openconnect setup.

its pretty straight forward installation.

Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom