• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soldier charged after 'going rogue' during computer game on virtual battlefield

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
TELEMMGLPICT000192300228_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

The Edinburgh-based Army rifleman is believed to be the first soldier to be punished under UK military law for offences in a virtual scenario rather than in real life.
He is said to have been fed up with being stuck at a computer rather than training outside.
A source from 3rd Battalion, the Rifles told the Mail on Sunday: “We'd spent two weeks sitting in front of laptops pretending we were in a really hostile urban environment - I'd challenge anyone to take it seriously for that long.

Read more here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...oing-rogue-computer-game-virtual-battlefield/

Winter John

In the past when soldiers lost their shit they'd try to kill the nearest officer. Now they smash their controllers. I guess that's progress.

Atrus

"VR, huh. A virtual grunt of the digital age. That's just great. You don't get injured in VR, do you? Every year, a few soldiers
die in field exercises.

That's the way they want you to think, to remove you from the fear that goes with battle situations. War as a video game -- what better way to raise the ultimate soldier?"

"VR, huh. A virtual grunt of the digital age. That's just great. You don't get injured in VR, do you? Every year, a few soldiers
die in field exercises.

That's the way they want you to think, to remove you from the fear that goes with battle situations. War as a video game -- what better way to raise the ultimate soldier?"

I bet he also got tired of his clingy GF texting him every five minutes.

This is a UK article. Anyone in Canadian or US military here? Are there lots of video game training sessions?

I'm not in military, but I'd like to think you guys do a lot of practical training instead of sitting in a chair playing a FPS.

Sakura

This is a UK article. Anyone in Canadian or US military here? Are there lots of video game training sessions?

I'm not in military, but I'd like to think you guys do a lot of practical training instead of sitting in a chair playing a FPS.
I have a friend in the Canadian military, and they do do video game training, but obviously do a lot of training in the field too.

Winter John

die in field exercises.

Yeah. The military have always been trying to find ways to get round the problem of soldiers who won't or can't fight. I guess their ultimate goal is to remove soldiers from the battlefield altogether. Until they have the technology to do that they probably need to use every psychological trick in the book to prepare men for battle. One of the locals in the bar was a drone operator for the Navy and he said it was just like kicking back at home in front of the tv. He didn't go into much detail but he told us when them things work they're so easy a child could pilot one, but they got a pretty high fail rate. They crash into shit or just fall out the air for no apparent reason.

cr0w

Old Member
Good thing they didn't see the atrocities I committed against my squad in Battlefield Vietnam way back when. I'd probably be sentenced to death.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
As a punishment he should have to play the FPS with a controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom