• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone upscaled the Starfield Release Date Trailer

CamHostage

VATS is immensely successful for those who know how to use it. Toss a grenade and as it gets closer to the target, trigger vats, shoot the grenade have it explode right in the enemy's face for more damage. :)
Oh, I'm not talking mechanically, I'm just talking its success a a popular or not game play system.

I like VATS a lot conceptually and see cool stuff done with it. But I don't see its influence in a lot of other games. And going by a lot of complaints on this thread alone about how they hate Fallout's "shooting", I guess I see why. People expect an action game with RPG depth, not an RPG with an action feel to the presentation. Bethesda tried to make a hybrid with a lot of play options and measured pace, but if you give a player a gun they will mostly want to pull the trigger.

We don't even know if Starfield here has something in that conceptual kind of hybrid-combat option, correct?

Last edited:

Havoc2049

still not crazy about the shooters aspect, but ultimately, for me, it is all about the space ships. Have they said if there will be an option for a cockpit view when in the ship? May have to wait for the deep dive for that.
They show ship to ship combat in the gameplay trailer, from about 11:00 to 12:30, both cockpit view and behind the ship view.

SenjutsuSage

Halo TV Series Promoter - Live from: Reach
Oh, I'm not talking mechanically, I'm just talking its success a a popular or not game play system.

I like VATS a lot conceptually and see cool stuff done with it. But I don't see its influence in a lot of other games. And going by a lot of complaints on this thread alone about how they hate Fallout's "shooting", I guess I see why. People expect an action game with RPG depth, not an RPG with an action feel to the presentation. Bethesda tried to make a hybrid with a lot of play options and measured pace, but if you give a player a gun they will mostly want to pull the trigger.

We don't even know if Starfield here has it something like this, correct?

I really hope a VATS like system is in Starfield because it just makes gameplay feel so much better and more strategic. There may be people who don't desire to be more targeted in their attacks and instead choose to just have a regular shootout, but VATS helps make it feel more RPGlike. VATS is another RPG skill to be mastered is how I see the gameplay mechanic. I'm a huge fan of turn-based RPGs, so whenever a game can give me some type of version of that I'm a very big fan of it.

I know VATS is Fallout universe, but this is all universes almost. Why couldn't Starfield have a futuristic implementation of a VATS style system?

CGNoire

Am I the only one here who hates the music heard so far for this game?

Talk about the composer being Uninpired. Shit sounds annoingly generic.
Like Mobile Sci Fi shovelware music. Like the type of overly eager pretentious music they would have played during a overhyped Star Wars Kinect game reveal circa 2010.

CGNoire

Sickos who hate anything from the piece of plastic they don't own.
I own every system and play them all. Cant wait for Starfield ...huge bethesda fan. I have always owned every system and the only group Im loyal too is to we the consumers.

The irony in seeing someone respond to a "single" negative comment bye one poster about the game follwed bye immediatly assuming they are some sycophant. That only reveals how you see your relationship with your box and says nothing about me.

mrmustard

I own every system and play them all. Cant wait for Starfield ...huge bethesda fan. I have always owned every system and the only group Im loyal too is to we the consumers.

The irony in seeing someone respond to a "single" negative comment bye one poster about the game follwed bye immediatly assuming they are some sycophant. That only reveals how you see your relationship with your box and says nothing about me.
Calm down buddy. If i meant you, i would have said "the other warriors". So i obviously didn't mean you.
Edit: 4 hours later, no 'sorry i misunderstood you'. As expected.

Last edited:

reksveks

Hope some of the suit characteristics apply to your ability to move around a planet and not just fighting aliens.

There is one for corrosion, that could be interesting.

Top Bottom