• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment reveals that 4.2m PlayStation VR units were sold

We are talking of percentage of ps4 owners who buy psvr, not number of games that psvr owners buy which isn't what was discussed above.

Also about the space. most people (not everybody of course) live in shared accomodation well over into their thirties in my region. And those who live in their own home mostly have studio flat that barely have the space for one console. And I'm talking about a first world country. Not everybody lives in huge mansions or villas with living rooms like maybe it happens in your country. Most people I know of my age (that can afford an house on their own), don't even have a living room at all to accomodate for vr.

Also price is a very serious issue. I mean even 300 euro (and this is just for the psvr price not discounted which is the cheapest) is like a third of a monthly salary in deep South Europe, or even half of a salary for young people in their 20s. Nobody is going to spend half a salary for a device on top of a gaming console or a pricey pc, that at the moment is mostly used for gaming. Spending over 1000 euro for a pc is something done only by hardcore gamers, most regular people are happy with pcs priced 600, or 700 euro, which will not support pc vr headsets. That's unlike AR apps and gaming (that is having quite a lot of success here), that doesn't require to buy something else, because smartphones are pretty much a given for other reasons (work/family and so on). This is a hobby, not something that casuals want to spend huge amounts.

There are certainly other reasons, I never said those that I mentioned were the only ones for everybody. But it's a fact that those are the main ones. You keep ignoring all the users posting in this board mentioning those very reasons (not just me, there were many others also in the other thread who mentioned similar reasons) because they don't fit what you want to be the truth. Also you mention lack of marketing??? With sony splashing psvr ads and marketing campaigns everywhere??

And no VR headset (at their current state) are nowhere as important and change-breaking as phones were at the time. Just look at the adoption rate and number of mobile units just after a few years they became available in most stores. It's not even close for my country. That's without even taking into account how they were used for work and family reasons that pushed the use, and the much lower barriers of accessibility that phones had. And also the fact that vr (in its current state) disconnects from real world, while phones had the very purpose to connect people so much more appealing to most people.
I have used an Oculus Rift, which includes more sensors/cables in a space that can barely fit a chair. If I can do it, almost anyone can. So don't go on some weird crusade about people living in villas, mansions, or what-else. I used to live in a house without my own bedroom and barely enough space to stretch, yet VR worked fine there.

I am living proof that almost everyone has space for some form of VR, period. Inarguable. This is fact.

You keep ignoring the fact that I am not ignoring the issues. I literally just told you that price was an issue, and you have the audacity to tell me that I never consider it?

VR headsets right now are not as important as phones, yes, obviously. I'm not arguing that. Over time though, they will be more valuable because the devices will do everything phones do, but extend us to new realities, which is invaluable for improving lives and efficiency. Mobile phones took a long time to take off. Smartphones in particular took around 10 years before people started to really care.

Phones connect people at distances. You do not use a phone for someone in person other than a few features like taking pictures. Likewise, you don't usually use VR in conjunction with someone in person, but it can be used to communicate with people at distances, and it's ability there exceeds all other technologies even right now. Video chat since it's inception has always been the most social way to connect across distances, and it is simply inferior to what VR offers today, and the gap will only increase leaps and bounds as tracking humans gets better.

Last edited:

andrespi

No, it's not fact.You are not the only person with the absolute truth in the whole world. You are bringing your own personal interpretation and your opinion, just as I am bringing mine.

Facts are made by numbers, not your unvalidated opinion.
Because even other people in threads in this message board told clearly that space might be an issue. So if other people mentioned it as an issue, why their voice has less weight than yours? Why is their opinion or experience not valid or have less weight, while yours is??

Learn to respect other people experiences or complaints. You didn't bring any proof, just your personal experience and situation. that's not how real life works; your perosnal experience is not a fact, and other are free to mention space as an issue if they consider it as such. Unless you bring some hard number, then you have no right to shut people off and tell them that yours is a fact, while others are not.

Last edited:
No, it's not fact.You are not the only person with the absolute truth in the whole world. You are bringing your own personal interpretation and your opinion. Facts are made by numbers, not your unvalidated opinion.
Because even other people in threads in this message board told clearly that space might be an issue. So if other people mentioned it as an issue, why their voice has less weight than yours? Why is their opinion or experience not valid or have less weight, while yours is??

Learn to respect other people experiences or complaints. You didn't bring any proof, just your perosnal experience and situation. that's not how real life works.
Space is absolute. It doesn't change and it doesn't warp.

If I am telling you (and you can test this out yourself) that you can use VR in a space so small that it can barely fit a chair to sit on, then you can use VR for almost any living situation. It becomes harder with wires, and it becomes harder when you need a console. But can you please just stop and think about it for one moment? It's a headset with hand controllers. Are you telling me that there are a decent amount of people that cannot wear something slightly bigger than Ski Goggles and hold a magic wand in each hand in their own house/apartment/living arangement? No, that would be absurd. You'd have to be trapped in a small closet.

You need some level of space to walk around or stand and wave your arms about, but who ever said that was a magic requirement for using VR? It isn't.

Last edited:

andrespi

Space is absolute. It doesn't change and it doesn't warp.

If I am telling you (and you can test this out yourself) that you can use VR in a space so small that it can barely fit a chair to sit on, then you can use VR for almost any living situation. It becomes harder with wires, and it becomes harder when you need a console. But can you please just stop and think about it for one moment? It's a headset with hand controllers. Are you telling me that there are a decent amount of people that cannot wear something slightly bigger than Ski Goggles and hold a magic wand in each hand in their own house/apartment/living arangement? No, that would be absurd. You'd have to be trapped in a small closet.

Where do you even put this whole mess of cables when you don't use it? If some people don't have space for a second console, where they should put an headset? Or are they supposed to disconnect it every single time??

Also mobile phones allowed people to talk and to be reachable anytime (for work, family reasons and so on) when moving and to talk and create connections while moving. PSVR doesn't allow that. You won't see anyone with a VR headset on the bus to speak to people when moving. It's an unreasonable compariso the one you are making between phones and vr headset (at least with the current ones), as having the same impact.

Last edited:
Where do you even put this whole mess of cables when you don't use it? If some people don't have space for a second console, where they should put an headset? Or are they supposed to disconnect it every single time??

Also mobile phones allowed people to talk and to be reachable anytime (for work, family reaosns and so on). PSVR doesn't allow that. You won't see anyone with a VR headset to speak to people when moving. It's an unreasonable comparison.
When I was living with this small space, I had half a sewing machine for a desk. That's how bad it was, and I still managed. I tucked all the cables behind.

For those that absolutely cannot deal with cables, they can grab an Oculus Quest, Oculus Go, or what-else, and those are relatively affordable too in the full setup cost. If they still want high-end VR, then they just need to wait until wireless becomes standard, but as of right now Rift S and Windows MR headsets don't even have external sensors. You only have one cable at that point. PSVR2 will absolutely follow this trajectory too.

Last edited:

andrespi

need to wait until wireless becomes standard,

Then you are talking about things that don't exists at the current state. Because at the moment the high end vr are not wireless nor they exist as wireless.

Funny that now you mention, they can just grab oculus quest, go and the other ones, when just a few posts above, most of you vr fans said that shouldn't be considered as proper vr headset to measure how good vr is.

Did you see psvr2? We are talking about the current state of vr, not some future that doesn't exist yet. People are interested in what is currently available in the market.

Last edited:
Then you are talking about things that don't exists at the current state. Because at the moment the high end vr are not wireless nor they exist as wireless.

Funny that now you mention, they can just grab oculus quest, go and the other ones, when just a few posts above, most of you vr fans said that shouldn't be considered as proper vr headset to measure how good vr is.

Did you see psvr2? We are talking about the current state of vr, not some future that doesn't exist yet. People are interested in what is currently available in the market.
Oculus Quest in particular is a great taste of VR. It's the same thing as high-end aside from being run on less powerful hardware. As long as someone is not allergic to more cartoony graphics, then it will be a core VR experience, so long as they play the good games.

People can go with a Rift S / Windows MR with only one cable if that don't want to deal with multiples. Remember, I said VR, not PSVR when talking about space.

Last edited:

andrespi

Yeah the rift s I know about it, without Mechanical IPD adjustments and will cost just 449 euro. Who doesn't have that kind of money for a an external device on top of pc for an hobby. So mainstream friendly... .

Last edited:

Romulus

I have a large cabinet. PSVR fits perfect and its one large cable. What are people talking about with the "all the cables" complaints? The cables are banded together in the manufacturing process into one. There are extra cables in the hookup process, but I leave mine hooked up. Easy. I could understand if you're really stupid maybe or you could try and make it difficult, but its not.

Yeah the rift s I know about it, without Mechanical IPD adjustments and will cost just 449 euro. Who doesn't have that kind of money for a an external device on top of pc for an hobby. So mainstream friendly... .
Hence why I mentioned Windows MR which is cheaper.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have a large cabinet. PSVR fits perfect and its one large cable. What are people talking about with the "all the cables" complaints? The cables are banded together in the manufacturing process into one. There are extra cables in the hookup process, but I leave mine hooked up. Easy. I could understand if you're really stupid maybe or you could try and make it difficult, but its not.

I always leave mine hooked up. Not sure why someone would want to unhook their PSVR after every session. That sounds nuts.

Last edited:

Romulus

I always leave mine hooked up. Not sure why someone would want to unhook their PSVR after every session. That sounds nuts.

Yeah I just think it's people who hate on VR coming up with things, acting like you're in some spider web of cables when it's just a single cable. Lol.

andrespi

I could understand if you're really stupid maybe or you could try and make it difficult, but its not.

Ah the good old way of defending an argument, by insulting other people, including me. Evidently everybody who complained about space and cables in the other threads are stupid for you (including all the members of gaming press who wrote articles about it and you can easily find with a google search). Long live freedom of insulting other people. I seriously don't know in what world you live that you think it's ok to call stupid someone you don't know just because he has a different opinion.

You obviously think you own the thread and are free to insult another user. (stupid is an insult in case you don't know). Reported and leaving also this thread (like the other one) for now since we have arrived to insults. I never used such words, but apparently to defend vr you have the right to insult other people.

AHH one cable, yes... :
cablespsvr-wires-100687896-large.idge.jpg

1475664283170659.jpg

Last edited:
Ah the good old way of defending an argument, by insulting other people, including me. Evidently everybody who complained about space and cables in the other threads are stupid for you (including all the members of gaming press who wrote articles about it and you can easily find with a google search). Long live freedom of insulting other people. I seriously don't know in what world you live that you think it's ok to call stupid someone you don't know just because he has a different opinion.

You obviously think you own the thread and are free to insult another user. (stupid is an insult in case you don't know). Reported and leaving also this thread (like the other one) for now since we have arrived to insults. I never used such words, but apparently to defend vr you have the right to insult other people.

AHH one cable, yes... :

1475664283170659.jpg
Bringing up the gaming press in relation to VR isn't exactly ideal. Basically every mainstream gaming site has gotten many things wrong about VR over the years. You can only trust VR sites as they actually delve deep into it and try to understand the technology rather than put VR in a certain light to gain clicks.

Some examples are IGN not realizing that several games they reviewed have movement options, or how Game Informer thought there was a Rift Pro instead of a Vive Pro, or how Game Informer also thought VR was supposed to take off immediately, which is kind of the same as all other gaming sites anyway.

Last edited:

Romulus

AHH one cable, yes... :

1475664283170659.jpg

I own the thread? lol, what? Quote where I called someone stupid. You can't.

None of anything you're saying makes sense here. Obviously, if you knew anything at all about PSVR, the pics you posted have charging cables on the controllers and hook up cables from the breakout box out. That stuff you shouldn't be dealing with unless you're hooking up a PSVR or charging controllers. That stuff shouldn't be out, but again, you'll use anything to make it look bad because you have an agenda here. Aren't you the one that made mention of the PSVR helmet being heavy? Yeah.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Best headset for PC bar none.
Used cost like fraction of both Vive and Oculus and has best screen out of all of them.
If you have PS4 and PC then you get ALL best VR games there are while if you have Oculus or Vive you can only play PC VR games.

Great to see that PSVR slowly becomes very successful.

I really don't understand that Sony isn't putting more effort in the marketing of PSVR.
They should just put some demo stations in every major shopping mall or at Gamestop and I'm sure they would easily double the current sales numbers.

I have three friends that were really sceptical about VR who bought it after they tried it out at my place.

I'm really convinced that the would convince more gamers if they provided an opportunity to test it.
I think they would especially be able to convince the casual gamers.

Facts are made by numbers, not your unvalidated opinion.
t.

The interpretations you make of those numbers are opinions, not facts. The attach rate is an atrocious ratio and is not valid for any product. Because, as I have said previously, 99.9% of products would be deemed a failure according to this ratio. It's the same bullshit said by people claiming that "exclusives don't matter" because they "only" sell couple of millions on a pool of 90 million PS4. Epic nonsense.

The only one thing that matters to a company is return of investment. Everything else is irrelevant. If we talk the case of PSVR , considering that most PS4 owners are very young people who are not financially independent, the idea that they might buy a PREMIUM device is bonkers.

Only grown-ups with a job can afford the extra expenditure of VR + controllers + games. So, out of those +90 million PS4 users, HOW MANY OF THEM MEET THIS CRITERIA? Those would be objective numbers. So, in order to get your facts straight, you need to put them into the right context.

The overall VR market is determined by the sum of all VR owners across all platforms so you will have to measure how PSVR figures are in relation to that VR market. Only a minority of PS4 and PC users belong in that discussion.

Last edited:

lingpanda

mckmas8808

Last year Sony mentioned in a presentation that VR was currently below expectation.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-23-sony-vr-market-growth-below-expectations

Sales are static from last year till now. On a side note, anyway to see alerts when on mobile? Have to view GAF on desktop to see them.

I think Sony is talking about the overall VR market, not just PSVR. But either way I think the exclusivity of lots of VR games has hurt the VR market as a whole. Especially for developers.

mckmas8808

I really do think No Man Sky VR will sell 100s of thousands of units if they bundle that game and all the updates with it, inside a PSVR bundle this summer. Check this preview video out.

Top Bottom