• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: More than 4 million PSPs sold in the US

Izzy

Banned
I saw the news in PSP Connect thread , but I really think it deserves its own thread.

Anyway,

5:30 John Koller talking about Sony's position in the gaming industry. They expect another 5 years with the PS2 on top of anticipating the PS3 launch and celebrating early success with the PSP. They've sold more than 4 million PSP units in the US, with 70 titles and 250 movies now out. PSP development hasn't stopped -- PSP Connect to launch in March for users to download full-length movies and new titles.

Must have been a hell of a December - discuss. :)

Live at the Sony press preview - article

Mrbob

JavyOO7 said:
Well, if they did sell 4 mil in 2005, how much would the PSP had sold in December? Over 1 million?

It would have to be 1.4 million.

That would be crazy amount. I think half that, 700K, is a possibility.

Mrbob said:
Jarrod will have to revise the list again.

These sound like shipped numbers.

2005/10/21 10 million units (Japan: 3.00 million/ USA: 4.47 million/ Europe: 2.53 million)

They have already reported ~4.5M units shipped in NA in October. So, I'm betting these aren't shipped numbers.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
2005/10/21 10 million units (Japan: 3.00 million/ USA: 4.47 million/ Europe: 2.53 million)

They have already reported ~4.5M units shipped in NA in October. So, I'm betting these aren't shipped numbers.

Well, like you say, NPD isn't 100 percent accurate. Perhaps Sony has more accurate numbers available.

Izzy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Well, like you say, NPD isn't 100 percent accurate. Perhaps Sony has more accurate numbers available.

Or perhaps they were referring to NA numbers. and the press got it wrong.

Sony told Reuters they had sold 3 million in NA when NPD reports 2.5 million. This means there numbers are inflated by at least 500 000. Factoring in Canadian sales of 155 000 as of december we see this disparity drop to 350 000. Canadian Christmas sales are probably irrelevant but lets take off 25 000.

Disparity = 325 000.
Therefore 4 million sold = 1.2 million sold.

MORE shipped numbers will be in here so my NPD guess for Dec will be 900 000 for PSP.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sonycowboy said:

Did they mean NA then? Or just the US?

mutsu

Please change thread title from "sold" to "shipped". Thanks.

When was the last time Sony released SOLD data?

Top Bottom