• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox developers celebrate the series’ 30th anniversary

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The original Star Fox was released on the Super Famicom in Japan on February 21, 1993, then came to North America in March and Europe in June.

Takaya Imamura, the former Nintendo artist who designed Fox McCloud and other characters in the original game, tweeted a new illustration to mark the occasion.

“Thank you for supporting me for over 30 years, Fox,” he wrote. “And everyone involved in the games you’ve appeared in! Thank you!”

Q-Games CEO Dylan Cuthbert, who co-programmed Star Fox while working at UK developer Argonaut Software, also celebrated the game’s 30th anniversary with a special cake.

Star Fox was partially inspired by the Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine, which is close to Nintendo’s headquarters. In a 1993 interview for Channel 4 science documentary series Equinox, Shigeru Miyamoto said he used to regularly visit the shrine, with its many Torii gates, and imagine flying a spaceship through them.

The shrine also has a statue of a kitsune – a fox with paranormal abilities – which would ultimately inspire the design of Fox McCloud.

Fake

bored waiting GIF

Bragr

There is so much potential in Star Fox, it's so frustrating that Nintendo treats this as a second-degree franchise.

I would like to see some sort of continuation of Star Fox Adventure too.

I also feel this is one of the Nintendo franchises that has some good online potential, the sort of fast-paced arcade dogfighting in Star Fox suits multiplayer.

MagnesD3

There is so much potential in Star Fox, it's so frustrating that Nintendo treats this as a second-degree franchise.

I would like to see some sort of continuation of Star Fox Adventure too.

I also feel this is one of the Nintendo franchises that has some good online potential, the sort of fast-paced arcade dogfighting in Star Fox suits multiplayer.
Yeah it's always been the Nintendo franchise I was most interested in besides Mario. I've always thought it's had incredible potential but Nintendo just doesn't understand what makes it good sadly.

Last edited:

Saber

Years of failing. I wonder why its so hard to remain faithfull to the original.

I love Star Fox, its my favorite Nintendo IP, but there so many stupid ideas...

BlackTron

I remember the interview where Miyamoto said he was surprised by the poor sales of Star Fox games. At the time I was just a dumb teenager and I rolled my eyes at how obvious it was that it's because the games lost focus on what made them great. I was like, are you kidding? God Himself Miyamoto cannot see this?

I'm not making this up, ten years ago I went on a date with the hottest woman I've ever had the courage to take out and she brought up games and said her favorite was Star Fox 64. It's fucking INSANE the longevity of the mindshare Nintendo's output carries from their old work, and how much value they leave on the table. People still remember StarFox/OOT/SM64 because they haven't been topped yet, and the accomplishment is being glossed over with a new gen of kids that didn't experience it getting better graphics today.

Top Bottom