• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery is ending!

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
I feel like some of y'all just want to gatekeep ST... Like because YOU didn't like it, it should go in the trash. I don't want to watch Prodigy, but I'm not calling for it to go the way of the dodo.

Like I said .. I really, REALLY liked when went into the future... Even seeing the Guardian of Forever gave me goosebumps!

And sidenote: they're Starfleet officers... Of COURSE the women in ST are supposed to be strong and capable.

I feel like some of y'all just want to gatekeep ST... Like because YOU didn't like it, it should go in the trash. I don't want to watch Prodigy, but I'm not calling for it to go the way of the dodo.

Like I said .. I really, REALLY liked when went into the future... Even seeing the Guardian of Forever gave me goosebumps!
Lamenting a franchise losing its identity isn't 'gatekeeping.' If any person in the world walks up to me and says they're getting into TOS, TNG, or DS9 I'll be all:
High Five GIF by MOODMAN

And sidenote: they're Starfleet officers... Of COURSE the women in ST are supposed to be strong and capable.
Great, so they should probably stop crying every five seconds and committing war crimes for fun. Yum yum.

DS9 is extremely overrated. Remember, this is the show that made Worf into a puritanical terrorist and endlessly tortured the Chief (yes, I know I have a DS9 avatar).

Voyager is legitimately the best Star Trek series.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Honestly, I feel that you are being disingenuous by characterizing the criticism of nutrek as "gatekeeping". Nothing is being done or said in this thread that prevents you or anyone from subscribing to peacock and watching the shows. As if we could do anything to deter a megabilion corporation from conducting business.

We're not talking about actual mature competence. Discovery has no idea what real maturity looks like. Every single one of its "empowered" women are weirdly immoral people lacking self-control or rational ethics, a pale shadow of actually good female characters.

But the show makes sure that they are almost comically successful at any kind of fighting, engineering, etc in every scene as if it's some kind of Marvel superhero film... while falling over backwards to ensure that the men around them do not seem that way:

It's obvious how the minds of these childish writers work, since the gears in their heads turn so slowly that you can read every scene's subtext from ten miles away. They think that this kind of thing makes the women badass, even the moments like unethical torture, killing, etc. They actually believe that this is edgy and empowering.

But they're only showing us how permanently stunted their minds are, and how no one involved in writing this show could possibly comprehend the actions of a genuine leader like Picard on TNG. I'm offended by their degradation of the intellectual quality of the show, by their idiotic glorification of violence, by their use of profanity and other elements, as if they are teenagers who snuck onto their parents' HBO subscription for a week and want to emulate GOT, and by their reduction of female characters to comic superheros who are badass as they are unethical, petty and emotional, by their evident resentment towards and fear of any traditionally masculine virtues of leadership or professionalism, .... I could go on.

Any person should be bothered by the very existence of these fools and their attempt to take the title of Star Trek. I don't care if anyone enjoys it, it's trash that makes us all worse people for merely existing out there under a franchise which used to stand for something.

Last edited:
All you have to do if they ever want to pull their heads out of their asses is call it Star Trek: Prime, and spell it out that Nu-Trek is in some bullshit alternative timeline.

Set the date specifically to the start of the Picard abomination just to twist the knife.

Top Bottom