• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things season 2: Get hype!!!

t-storm

I enjoyed it as much as the first, and I think the first is great.

One thing I dont get is why were Nancy and Johnathan let into the energy plant and shown a top secret expriment?.It makes no sense to show 2 kids one of the greatest discoveries of humankind.
They were shown in hopes that they wouldn't tell Barb's parents/the media/anyone else the truth which would end up putting their friends/family in danger.

Damn, neogaf is dead.

Anyway. Just finished ST2 and I'm underwhelmed. I don't like some of the decisions they made. Here goes:

* Nancy still fucking around with Steve and Jonathan. MAKE A DECISION,
BITCH
* Eleven's sister subplot was pretty meh
* Killing Bob? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
* Mike acting like a little bitch because Max approached the group.
* Dart being nice to Dustin because he helped/fed him. He's from the upside down COME THE FUCK ON

On the good side, Max is a nice addition to the group. I also liked (hated) her
step brother
. Good thing the father puts him in his place tho.

All in all I'd rate it a 7. I think season one set the bar way too high. I adore it.

The synths were on point this season. :D

Looking forward to season three, hope we get a spin off with
eight and her gang.

Linnea Berthelsen is amazing <3

Yeah, she's a queen. I need more of Linnea in the worst way.. I'm all for a spin off but more likely she shows back up in Season 3. Her
gang
can stay in season 2 though, especially her
mohawk friend
. Kali/008 has great potential
as a anti-hero or even villain

t-storm

t-storm

S3 probably the climax season. I expect shit to happen.
I'd rather not have another whole season of
shadow monster again.

Hopefully they wrap that up in the first or second ep and then move onto bigger/badder evils for the rest of the season.

Symphonia

Banned
I'd rather not have another whole season of
shadow monster again.

Hopefully they wrap that up in the first or second ep and then move onto bigger/badder evils for the rest of the season.
I’d really like it if
Will wasn’t the centric character again
in season three. Shit gets boring fast.

Honestly, I could go for a season or at least a half of nothing fantastic happening. We just watch Dustin, Lucas, Max, Jane, Mike & Will play D&D, video games, attend school and nerd out in A/V Club. I'm serious, I love these characters. Definitely need more scenes like the very first one where they are playing D&D and just being geeky little kids.
I'd really like it if
Will wasn't the centric character again
in season three. Shit gets boring fast.

Really? I love Will. He was basically the macguffin in S1 so I was very happy to get lots of him in S2 but it still wasn't enough. I need to see zombie boy just hang out with his friends like that first scene in S1

Episode 7 is a mess. Feels so out of place tonally compared to the rest of the season. If that is setting up a spin off series Im out.

When I rewatch this ahead of a possible third season I'll be skipping that episode. Really unlikeable characters, it felt like a lost episode of Heroes.

The rest of the series however is great. Would like a bit more of Mike but I guess this was shot around the same time he was off filming IT.

Kid Ying

I'm happy to see i'm not the only one who thought that season was subpar compared to the first.

The first felt more dinamic. This one had too many subplots that mattered little, like the sister... In fact, most of 11 story serves just to keep her away for a long time. Bob too. He was awesome, but everything was so predictable it's hard to Care.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I thought overall it was good but there’s some really bad things in it.

What I couldn’t believe was how they opened with elevens sister in the first episode, then we don’t see anything from her for another 6 hours. And then the episode she is in is awful

Put the cart before the horse. And there wasn’t even a psychic battle

Hydrus

Damn, neogaf is dead.

Anyway. Just finished ST2 and I'm underwhelmed. I don't like some of the decisions they made. Here goes:

* Nancy still fucking around with Steve and Jonathan. MAKE A DECISION,
BITCH
* Eleven's sister subplot was pretty meh
* Killing Bob? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
* Mike acting like a little bitch because Max approached the group.
* Dart being nice to Dustin because he helped/fed him. He's from the upside down COME THE FUCK ON

step brother

All in all I'd rate it a 7. I think season one set the bar way too high. I adore it.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Pretty disappointed in this season.

Kid Ying

I thought overall it was good but there’s some really bad things in it.

What I couldn’t believe was how they opened with elevens sister in the first episode, then we don’t see anything from her for another 6 hours. And then the episode she is in is awful

Put the cart before the horse. And there wasn’t even a psychic battle
Yeah. It was like "oh man, things are going to get Crazy with other people with powers" and then... Nothing happens. And It felt much like a fart her episode. It added nothing to the main story apart from a moment of "training".

I wish there were other people with powers on It. Make It full Akira.

t-storm

Is anyone watching "Beyond Stranger Things" the after show on Netflix? It's interesting to see some of the original footage for scenes without the special effects. They also talk about concepts/ideas that were going to happen this season but ultimately they didn't go with for whatever reason...

Bob was supposed to die earlier in the season and it was evil Will who was going to kill him.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Am I mistaken or did
no one but that one random suited scientist even GO to the fucking upside down in the entire series. And no Will’s little psychic trips don’t count. Oh except 11 briefly in the flashback.

t-storm

The bit with
Dustin's cat
was not funny :(
I was a little surprised at the violence this season.

Am I mistaken or was this season more violent than the last?

In Beyond Stranger Things, they showed
how much more violent Bob’s death was supposed to be: blood shooting out of his mouth in slow motion as he was being eaten and pummeled by the demadog.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!

step brother
Good that he has an abusive father? You don't think having a father like that has anything to do with why he acts the way that he does?

In a single post you call a woman a bitch for no reason and promote child abuse. With posters like you active we really are in dire straits.

Watched the first episode and liked it. Even though not much happened, seems to be on track with last season.
Hoping to finish it within the next 10-11 days, and hoping to keep avoiding spoilers like the plague.

Symphonia

Banned
Good that he has an abusive father? You don't think having a father like that has anything to do with why he acts the way that he does?

In a single post you call a woman a bitch for no reason and promote child abuse. With posters like you active we really are in dire straits.
Are you fucking serious?

Nancy IS a bitch where Jonathan and Steve are concerned. She’s leading them both on because she can’t be arsed sitting down and working out who she wants deep down. If the genders were reversed, you’d be calling the male a fuckboy.

And Billy is a prick. I don’t think anyone is condoning child abuse in any shape or form, more condoning the fact that Billy deserves to be brought down a peg or two. It just so happens that the lucky guy who gets to knock Billy about is his piece of shit father. Again, not condoning child abuse, but condoning someone putting Billy in his place.

Don’t make something out of nothing.

TTOOLL

Finished it last night. What an incredible show!

The setting, the music and the characters are all very good. The story was less intense than last season but good too.

I'm curious to see what they are doing for next season
since the gate is now closed. Will it be opened again?

They really nailed Mike and L's reunion, it was really emotional.

Anyway, now we wait...

Had a little fun with a Stranger Things cutout board and my Halloween costume

jkFSR9O.jpg

Are you fucking serious?

Nancy IS a bitch where Jonathan and Steve are concerned. She's leading them both on because she can't be arsed sitting down and working out who she wants deep down. If the genders were reversed, you'd be calling the male a fuckboy.

And Billy is a prick. I don't think anyone is condoning child abuse in any shape or form, more condoning the fact that Billy deserves to be brought down a peg or two. It just so happens that the lucky guy who gets to knock Billy about is his piece of shit father. Again, not condoning child abuse, but condoning someone putting Billy in his place.

Don't make something out of nothing.

I think the point is that Billy is a bully because
his father is abusive. Celebrating that abuse misses the point entirely

mantidor

I loved this season, comments about not being as good as the first are expected because that "fresh" factor is gone.

And I loved the controversial episode, it's the logical progress of the character and it explored that 80s urban landscape that Hawkins alone couldn't, I don't get the hate.

TTOOLL

I loved this season, comments about not being as good as the first are expected because that "fresh" factor is gone.

And I loved the controversial episode, it's the logical progress of the character and it explored that 80s urban landscape that Hawkins alone couldn't, I don't get the hate.

They ended episode 6 with
a gigantic cliffhanger and then fully changed the tone of the show up to that point
with episode 7.

I didn't hate the episode though. It just felt really out of place.

GuessWho

episode 6, 8 and 9 saved this season for me. That was a slowass buildup but wtv, it manages to have a satisfying ending.
The show is slightly overhyped but still enjoyable.

SDCowboy

Just finished the season. I thought it was incredible.

I just want to say again how much season 2 actually felt like I was watching something from the 80's, rather that something just set in the 80s. This season had the 80s-ness down pat.

AoM

Regarding episode 7:

I thought it was great. The three main complaints I've seen seem to be: 1) "I didn't like it because it was different"; 2) "I didn't like the 'outcasts'"; 3) "The actors playing the 'outcasts' (with the possible exception of 008) were bad". 1 can be dismissed immediately, and 3 is a valid criticism, though one I disagree with. But 2... that's kinda the whole point of the episode. Eleven gets mixed up with this group of outsiders who rob convenience stores, cause the police trouble, and murder in cold blood. As the audience, we're supposed to want El to realize she's meant to be helping her friends, her actual family.

t-storm

Regarding episode 7:

I thought it was great. The three main complaints I've seen seem to be: 1) "I didn't like it because it was different"; 2) "I didn't like the 'outcasts'"; 3) "The actors playing the 'outcasts' (with the possible exception of 008) were bad". 1 can be dismissed immediately, and 3 is a valid criticism, though one I disagree with. But 2... that's kinda the whole point of the episode. Eleven gets mixed up with this group of outsiders who rob convenience stores, cause the police trouble, and murder in cold blood. As the audience, we're supposed to want El to realize she's meant to be helping her friends, her actual family.

As well, chapter six ended with a cliffhanger and then the viewer is forced to sit through an entire side story. I loved chapter seven but I get the criticism about the jarring flow.

AoM

As well, chapter six ended with a cliffhanger and then the viewer is forced to sit through an entire side story. I loved chapter seven but I get the criticism about the jarring flow.

It's nothing new in TV, and even less of an issue given Netflix's binge model. Now,
if El wasn't in the episode, and it was literally just these completely new characters, that would be a very valid criticism.

Just finished Season 2. Spoilers incoming.

tldr / spoiler free: Awesome.

Mini Review
Overall, outstanding. It has the right balance of tone, nostalgia, humour, tension, emotion, and jump scares.

All summed up in one scene when the Demo-Dogs find out where Will is and surround his house.

Hopper with an automatic assault rifle. Nancy took the other rifle. Steve with his nail bat. And Lucas? His trusty wrist rocket.

El then saves the day and Mike gets the emotional return with his friend/true love.

An excellent minute's which encapsulates everything that is fantastic about Strangers things.

The one minor criticism I have, which I can see some share, was episode 7.

The end of Episode 6, the Demo-Dogs climbing up the hole, was a great cliffhanger.

And then a full El centric episode? With no call back at all to the Lab? It just killed momentum and the whole Episode just didn't seem to fit in the tone of the show.

After my disappointment in episode 7 I did say I would judge it after the whole season. The Duffel brothers did it that way for a reason.

So the content of Episode 7 on the whole, was pretty good. That story had to be told to make us believe that El's 'home' was with her 'family' (or friends) and not her true family, her 'sister'.

My disappointment is still how it killed momentum in what has been a TV show so on point that doesn't linger and keeps the story moving.

I'd have been furious if it was a weekly TV show, thank god for Netflix and the ability to binge.

I'd like to see edit of episode 6 and 7, with the episode 6 cliffhanger being at the end of 7, to see if that changes how I feel about episode 7.

But in the grand scheme of things? I am nitpicking.

One other thing, where does Season 3 go from here? I have some theories:

The Duffel brothers have shown throughout that they will plant seeds in earlier episodes which we get the pay off on later.

One of these is when Billy and Steve are playing basketball, Billy knocks down Steve and he gives him advice on how to plant his foot. This foreshadowed the fight when Billy said the same line again.

Another being The Spy comment that the kids discussed earlier in the season, which we got the pay off on when Mike figured out that the Shadow Monster was using Will to spy on them.

There are many others, but I'll get to our two points.

1. The Demo-dog in the Fridge/Freezer

I believe the Tunnels are in the real world, however they appear to be an almost Limbo like state, where they have some of the upside down characteristics. So let's assume that the Demo-dogs that died when El closed the gate are stuck in that limbo state, then that leaves just one.

Dustin and Steve cleared out the fridge/freezer and they put the dead Demo-dog in. Dustin referenced there being potential for it to be studied.

While there maybe other dead Demo-dogs still in the real world, this has to be special for some reason.

Who will study it? Could it be Paul Reiser? Could that inadvertently enable the Shadow Monster to re-engage with the real world some how?

2. Dustin's trip in the Tunnels

Hopper got 'sprayed' in the Tunnels and Dustin had a similar experience.

The key difference was Hopper got cleaned up or 'decontaminated' back at the labs.

Dustin said to his friends he was OK. And his fall got no pay off in the episode. Mike fell later on and got trapped by the vines and that built tension.

But what was the pay off for Dustin's fall? He said to his friends he is ok, but is he? Could he be 'infected' with something?

Just a couple's of theories I have right now after wrapping up.

Based on this season though, I have every faith that the Duffel Brothers will nail it again.

Are you fucking serious?

Nancy IS a bitch where Jonathan and Steve are concerned. She’s leading them both on because she can’t be arsed sitting down and working out who she wants deep down. If the genders were reversed, you’d be calling the male a fuckboy.

And Billy is a prick. I don’t think anyone is condoning child abuse in any shape or form, more condoning the fact that Billy deserves to be brought down a peg or two. It just so happens that the lucky guy who gets to knock Billy about is his piece of shit father. Again, not condoning child abuse, but condoning someone putting Billy in his place.

Don’t make something out of nothing.

Thank you.

Top Bottom