• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Things You Thought Were True As A Kid

Elder Legend

Yoir Aee Member
At some point in our lifetime we were all children. We all grew up with different backgrounds, beliefs, families and so on.. and as a child sometimes you think of a lot of silly thing and assume that they were true.

So as a child what things did you think were true or real but when you got older you realized how dumb and silly you were for thinking so? This is a bit of embarrassing thread, but honestly it's just for silly good fun.

I'll kick it off!

I used to think that only guys go to the bathroom to poo and the girls don't and that girls are always clean and are never dirty.

What about you?

Catphish

If you swallow gum, it ends up in your foot.

If you chew pencil lead, you get lockjaw.

If a penny is dropped from the Sears Tower and hits your head, edge down, it will travel straight through you and exit your taint.

Railroad security has legal permission to shoot you if they catch you trespassing on the tracks.

An aphrodisiac will make any female want to have immediate sex with you.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I grew up in a large neighborhood which, when I was a wee child, thought was the entire world. We had a grocery store where my mom would take me to shop, a kiosk for candy and so on so the neighborhood was pretty self sufficient. My school was only a couple of blocks away and I went there to and from my home everyday. I thought that was it. That was my world. When I started growing up, I heard whispers about the big city, the "other world" outside, and I was like "what the hell, there is a world outside our neighborhood?" When I was finally old enough to explore this forbidden realm it blew my mind. It kinda reflects Midgar in Final Fantasy 7, where you spend a good portion in town before you are let loose out in the open world.

Doom85

I grew up in a large neighborhood which, when I was a wee child, thought was the entire world. We had a grocery store where my mom would take me to shop, a kiosk for candy and so on so the neighborhood was pretty self sufficient. My school was only a couple of blocks away and I went there to and from my home everyday. I thought that was it. That was my world. When I started growing up, I heard whispers about the big city, the "other world" outside, and I was like "what the hell, there is a world outside our neighborhood?" When I was finally old enough to explore this forbidden realm it blew my mind. It kinda reflects Midgar in Final Fantasy 7, where you spend a good portion in town before you are let loose out in the open world.

Never knew The Truman Show was based off a true story… ;)

Pejo

I thought these were what Ultraman hung his suit up on to recharge it.

iu

When I was a very little kid I thought there was a hundred minutes in an hour.

I used to think the past was actually in black and white in real life.

I thought that the clouds above were the continents that you see on the Earth from space and we were on the inside.

I believed in a lot of stupid shit when I was a little kid.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maths science and English were the subjects to get ahead. all other lessons did not hold as much value. At least that's what my parents taught me.

Oh the national record of achievement would be needed your whole life. Never had use. (UK specific thing Around the early nineties maybe onwards?)

University is the way to go. It will help your job prospects

I get it. My parents wanted the best for us. They didn't have free uni education or the opportunity to go. But unless you want to be a doctor or something that needs those academic qualifications. Sometimes uni isn't needed and well when you end up at work. Oh uni degree. Great. Bit you don't know the job or local knowledge. You still need to train up.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That California had hoverboards like Back to the Future and they will eventually come to the US.

That everything cool started in California first.

Aesius

I thought AIDS was caused by getting someone else's blood on you. Nothing about the HIV virus or the person needing to have it in the first person. Just mixing blood in general meant AIDS.

I also thought an immigration visa was the same thing as a Visa credit/debit card, and that having a Visa credit/debit card was all you needed to live in America.

Oh, and when my family got our first computer in the early 90s, the startup video was some dude explaining how to use the computer. I thought he could see me and my family because I guess I had recently seen something on TV showing early videoconferencing.

Last edited:
1. Mountain Dew makes you sterile…Still waiting for the data on that one.
2. The D.A.R.E. Program actually kept kids off drugs 😵‍💫
3. Girls could potentially be Witches and place curses on boys they hate! Trying times in 1st grade!

I believed for way longer than I should have that moles on your body are a separate, living entity. Like they somehow attached themselves or grew on you and just hung out, along for the ride.

My uncle would do that coin from the ear trick where he puts it in his mouth, and then pulls it from his ear.

I used to think how a coin would go up the side of his head.

- I thought everybody who had the same last name was related to each other.
- I use to think "Aunt"/"Uncle" referred to female/male friends of my parents.

Top Bottom