• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

-
Hold up- refusing the participate in the massacre at Balmamusa is chaotic?! Every dm I've ever played with would consider "ends justify the means" as strictly chaotic while adhering to a strict set of principles regardless of what end bending them could lead to as lawful. Seems straight up backwards, not that I really mind. Just confused.

Law = Obeying Orders
Chaos = Defying authority and striking out on your own
At least according to this game.

Soulhouf

Law = Obeying Orders
Chaos = Defying authority and striking out on your own
At least according to this game.

It's always been like that.

@traveler: The remake has many flaws compared to the original IMO but also they improved some aspects.
Anyway, still one of the best games ever made. Enjoy!

Tomodachi

-
Hold up- refusing the participate in the massacre at Balmamusa is chaotic?! Every dm I've ever played with would consider "ends justify the means" as strictly chaotic while adhering to a strict set of principles regardless of what end bending them could lead to as lawful. Seems straight up backwards, not that I really mind. Just confused.
I'm not an expert in classical roleplaying at all but following orders from above you don't approve of doesn't classify as chaotic to me, it sounds like the very definition of lawful (maybe "bad" in this case, but still lawful, while refusing the orders would classify as "good" chaotic, one that follows only his morals, or lack of thereof if "bad" chaotic). I think that's probably the point of view they went with.

-NeoTB1-

I had bought this at launch, but only put in a few hours... I think. Fast forward to today and I no longer own a PSP. So, I've been really thinking about buying it again - this time for the Vita. Anyone else playing it right now?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I had bought this at launch, but only put in a few hours... I think. Fast forward to today and I no longer own a PSP. So, I've been really thinking about buying it again - this time for the Vita. Anyone else playing it right now?

I do, I finished recently the Songstress quest in the CODA, now I'm going to start the other branch paths from Chapter 1.

Seda

I played the game to 100% completion (all battles and variants, all scenes and variants, all unique weapons and armor, all classes to level 50 outside of some specific ones that are mutally exclusive, all spells for each class), and then my PSP was stolen, so I bought a new one with another copy of Tactics Ogre and did it all again.

One of my favorite games but I think I'm done with it for a while lol

Soulhouf

I played the game to 100% completion (all battles and variants, all scenes and variants, all unique weapons and armor, all classes to level 50 outside of some specific ones that are mutally exclusive, all spells for each class), and then my PSP was stolen, so I bought a new one with another copy of Tactics Ogre and did it all again.

One of my favorite games but I think I'm done with it for a while lol

Mad respect.
I spent 1000 hours to get everything but I can't see myself do it again from scratch.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still playing. Act IV before the final battles, I think.
I'm headed to Heim, I believe. Catiua just committed suicide. Speaking of which, surprised at how dark all of this turned out. Denam is pretty much the only person from the "good guys" side at the beginning of the game still alive, Canopus and the White Knights notwithstanding. Quite the body count.
Wrapping up some side quests before heading in.

-NeoTB1-

I understand. I put in hundreds of hours over the years into FFT and FFT:WotL. I imagine I'll be spending quite a long time with this game, too. :D

Shawn6661

Ok so im at the beginning of the chapter 2 and just unlock some new classes (ninja, rogue, beast tamer).

I want to try the ninja class on my hero because i hear its so great.
And here i get a weak lvl1 hero ninja whos doing 1dmg and has low protection.
I decide to grind but problem i can only summon 6/7 characters and face undead enemy or nasty beasts. As i said my hero is useless in battle and with only 5 friends, i end up losing the battle (a first to me, i encounter zero trouble during chapter1).

What am i suppose to do exactly ? I dont want to keep the same team forever ! Should i do a team with 6 lvl1 ninja so i encounter lvl1 foes ? Help !

Last question : you have to use a mark to change to a warrior to a ninja, but do i have to use another mark to get back to warrior ?

Seda

Ok so im at the beginning of the chapter 2 and just unlock some new classes (ninja, rogue, beast tamer).

I decide to grind but problem i can only summon 6/7 characters and face undead enemy or nasty beasts. As i said my hero is useless in battle and with only 5 friends, i end up losing the battle (a first to me, i encounter zero trouble during chapter1).

What am i suppose to do exactly ? I dont want to keep the same team forever ! Should i do a team with 6 lvl1 ninja so i encounter lvl1 foes ? Help !

Last question : you have to use a mark to change to a warrior to a ninja, but do i have to use another mark to get back to warrior ?

That is easily the most annoying part of this game. New classes start at level 1. There's no real easy way to attack it - I just had my level 1 guy stay back for several battles (sometimes this could be many battles by late game if the rest of the classes are significantly higher) until he was close enough in level to be useful somehow. The level 1 guy will get most the EXP. I think using less characters helps too in terms of exp (for example, once Denam got his unique class, I had him effectively 'solo' a map while the level 1 guy(s) stay back)

And yes, every class change requires a mark.

Shawn6661

Thanks for the quick answer, so sorry to hear there isnt a way to level up without danger. I ll try one more time, maybe i wont face nasty undead foes this time ! I wish the game tell you what kind of monsters you re about to encounter before you make your team.

Quick question : later in the game, do random encounters are with 12 teammates or is it always 6/7 ?

RS4-

Feels bad, put this game off for nearly two years, had it sitting in the psp since playing on it is a chore with my volume buttons all screwed up and whatnot.

Decided to just rip the damn game and play it on my n7 instead. Time to start all over again :(

Seda

Thanks for the quick answer, so sorry to hear there isnt a way to level up without danger. I ll try one more time, maybe i wont face nasty undead foes this time ! I wish the game tell you what kind of monsters you re about to encounter before you make your team.

Quick question : later in the game, do random encounters are with 12 teammates or is it always 6/7 ?

It's map dependent but the few maps I can recall that allow for 12 members are in the dungeons. Not sure if locations actually on the world map even allow for more than 8 maybe 9.

Soulhouf

Make all your characters Ninjas. You'll gain more experience to level up that class and enemies will be at your level.

It's very easy when you do it right.

bernardobri

Class leveling is a pain in the ass, although the level of the enemies each battle is rounded next to your highest class level so that's why they suck.

My suggestion would be bringing as many units of the same class as possible into the battle with their proper basic gear/skills. While each unit might not get that much EXP, the class will increase faster and later you might use it to stand a chance in higher level battles.

I've had this since it came out but never started it. I'm always worried the choices I make in the begining will have some fucked up ass consequences at the end. Ugh.

bernardobri

I've had this since it came out but never started it. I'm always worried the choices I make in the begining will have some fucked up ass consequences at the end. Ugh.

There will be blood, man. Just follow your heart :p

Nohar

I have to admit, I'm a little lost when it comes to the story. I never played a Tactics Ogre game before, so it took me a while to understand what were the different clans involved in the war, who lead them, why, and so on. I'm still not sure I understand everything yet.

Oh well. Currently doing chapter 3, Chaos route. It's quite disturbing to be called out every so often by different characters (also,
the sister is acting a little bitchy, and dicthed me. Ingrate
). I'm beginning to have a nice rooster of unique characters (though, Arycelle, even though you were worth the pain, you really were awfully difficult to recruit).

Currently leveling-up the new addition to my team, a Samuraï, along with some monsters I managed to capture.

I love the atmosphere and music of the game. Though, I take issue with some gameplay choices, such as the incredibly tedious crafting system (can't create multiple items rapidly, it's a huge loss of time just to create one weapon/armor), the rescue missions and the micro-management of units, which gets a little tiring after a while (no option to compare and directly equip equipment when doing some shopping, and while shopping you can't learn new spells for your units there, you have to go back to the Party menu). Also, if you want your units to be effective, you better be very careful with their equipment and skills, which is both a good and a bad thing: on one hand the game can be horribly difficult if you don't optimize your team, but on the other hand I find this system rewarding, since it's impossible to just roll on the game with ease from the get go, though the game does became easier after a while. And, well, Canopus is a god-send lightning bruiser.

Tomodachi

Every time this thread gets bumped I feel the urge to play through the game all over again. Why is this not on PSN Sony/Squenix? I need to play it on dat OLED :(

Soulhouf

Every time this thread gets bumped I feel the urge to play through the game all over again. Why is this not on PSN Sony/Squenix? I need to play it on dat OLED :(

What are you talking about? It is on PSN.
I own 3 versions of the game and one of them I purchased on PSN.

Or are you talking about the PS1 version?

Tomodachi

What are you talking about? It is on PSN.
I own 3 versions of the game and one of them I purchased on PSN.

Or are you talking about the PS1 version?

MIND = BLOWN

For some reason I was sure this wasn't on the store, I even typed "ogre" in the search field yesterday and got no results. I probably mistyped or the webstore had some issue since I can find it just fine now. Welp, 20€ is a bit harsh for a double dip, I'll wait the next round of PSP sales, thanks for the heads up though.

bernardobri

I have to admit, I'm a little lost when it comes to the story. I never played a Tactics Ogre game before, so it took me a while to understand what were the different clans involved in the war, who lead them, why, and so on. I'm still not sure I understand everything yet.

That's probably one of the flaws (or pros, you mileage may vary) of the game, since you're thrown in media res during the feud between nations. Probably by Chapter 4 you will get almost everything tied up. (At least I did... Mostly)

It looks amazing, especially without the filter. Just imagine that pixel glory in the OLED.

Probably I will take some screenshots during this weekend, just because.

Nohar

I have mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, it's a very interesting experience, with a very good scenario and atmosphere, but on the other hand the gameplay can be really off-putting because of questionable/stupid game design choices.

Also, I discovered that if I want to recruit a character in particular, namely
Cressida
, I need to have a high Chaos Frame with Galgastani characters... Something which is very hard/tedious to do. That's a scrappy mechanic if I ever saw one.

Soulhouf

I have mixed feelings about this game. On one hand, it's a very interesting experience, with a very good scenario and atmosphere, but on the other hand the gameplay can be really off-putting because of questionable/stupid game design choices.

Cressida
, I need to have a high Chaos Frame with Galgastani characters... Something which is very hard/tedious to do. That's a scrappy mechanic if I ever saw one.

Sure, the original game had way a better game design, but I don't see the problem. You have so many options and if you don't want to do the tedious ones, don't do them.
The game has many levels and the highest ones (= the most tedious) are for people who enjoy that kind of stuff.

Cressida

I was able to unlock her by returning to the earliest Anchor Point, going through each Anchor Point up to the 4th chapter,
unlocking the six temple sidequest and telling Mreuva that I don't want the power of the Apocrypha. Working through the game in that manner gave me high enough Galgastani Chaos Frame to recruit Cressida without having to spend who knows how many hours killing Galgastani troops. Edit: Now that I think about I also cleared out the Pirate's Graveyard electing not to take the treasure. My guess is that that also helped increase Galgastani Chaos Frame.

Nohar

So, I managed to recruit this character by forsaking the Apocrypha (thank you for the advice Schopenhauer!). The battle in itself was a complete nightmare, something that I wish to not do ever again. Anyhow, I reached the ending, and unlocked the epilogue section and W.O.R.L.D.

I'm still not sure of what I should do. I could W.O.R.L.D to a previous anchor point and try a new route, or W.O.R.L.D back to before I forsake the apocrypha so I could unlock it. And, well, there is still the epilogue missions to do.

The anchor system is a little confusing... Let's say I come back to the anchor point before the rescue of
Catiua
, and unlock the apocrypha, not doing the quest where I rescue and recruit
Cressida
, and then come back to the epilogue via its anchor point, said epilogue won't be affected by the changes I made (ie. it will still consider that I didn't do the apocrypha sidequest and that I recruited
Cressida
), since I didn't reach this anchor point by proceeding normally with the story?

Overall, Tactics Ogre is an amazing game, and I get its appeal, though, well, I still dislike some gameplay choices, namely the Chaos Frame system, crafting system, and the reduced movement of our units compared to the original Tactics Ogre, where the default movement of all units seems to be 5 instead of 3 or 4 (sure, this can be remedied with the Swiftstep I and later II skill, but we can't learn it until the 23th level for the first upgrade, which if a lot of levels, and thus a lot of time). This last bit makes the battles take way longer than they should be (especially in aeras with narrow corridors where units are often stuck in the same place until other units can get out), though it could be argued that it also makes them more tactical, which is the goal I guess. And, well, it's still run way faster than the SNES version, can't complain about that.
(They did an amazing work with the music and artworks, compared to the original game. Simply splendid. I love "The Dark Knights" and "Limitation").

ElyrionX

Bought this at launch. Haven't put in a single minute.

I have completed FFT three or four times and Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis once. Tried getting into FFT Advance but it didn't grab me. That's about it in terms of my experience with JSRPGs. How much will I like this game?

Nohar

Bought this at launch. Haven't put in a single minute.

I have completed FFT three or four times and Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis once. Tried getting into FFT Advance but it didn't grab me. That's about it in terms of my experience with JSRPGs. How much will I like this game?

Hmmm, hard to say, since I don't know exactly what you like/dislike in those games.

Like FFT and FFTA, this Tactics Ogre has a job system, though those are more specialized, and you can't equip some skills if you are not in the right class. For example, some jobs will never be able to cast any spells, even if you unlocked the skills with other jobs. You won't be able to use Dragon/Beast slayer abilities if your character isn't a Dragoon, etc.

The story is very, very mature, and outright dark at times. There are 3 "main" paths in the game to follow: Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic (keep in mind that Lawful doesn't mean "Good", and Chaotic doesn't mean "Bad"). Each path will lead to different missions and events, and have serious consequences on the story, leading to very different chapters. Even though the last chapter is common to all paths, a lot of events (and even the ending) will be influenced by how you behave during your playthrough. Your main character can be a "hero" or a true machiavelli bastard depending of your choices.
In that regard, prepare yourself for the end of chapter 1.
Personnaly, I took the path which was the most "good", and which is what inspired Ramza from FFT (FFT was based on Tactics Ogre, except with FF elements in it).

Music and artworks are very good. In fact, some compositions are amazing.

However, the game has its flaws. Like I said in my previous message:
- There is an hidden mecanic, the "Chaos Frame", which will influence some aspects of the game. In some (rare) cases, if your "Chaos Frame" with one faction is too high or too low, you won't be able to recruit some characters (though, I only know one character who is affected by this).
- The crafting system is tedious, to say the least. You can't craft multiple items: you have to craft every single one of them one by one, and wait for the crafting animation to run its course. Just to craft 1 weapon, it can take you up to 20 if not more crafts, and there is the possibility that some crafts will fail. There are no ways to improve directly the success rate of crafts, making this aspect really annoying.
- Battles can take a while. The movement of your units is quite low (4 for agile units, 3 for slow ones, with some rare jobs having a 5 movement right of the bat), so it takes a while to reach the enemy, making the close-combat units almost useless in some circomstances (units which can do range attacks are thus incredibly useful, especially archers). Also, the game is quite hard, and demands that you manage carefully your team. It's mandatory to equip some skills if you want your characters to be effective. Also, you can't view the battlefield before sending in your team, which is a flaw in game-design which will force you to reload a previous save if you want to change your team and bring the appropriate units for the fight (especially when you discover that there are zombies in the field, which make the use of clerics mandatory, or Dragons, in that case you will want to have a Dragoon in your team, or Golems, who are nearly immune to physical attacks early in the game). Fortunately, you can use the C.H.A.R.I.O.T system to rewind turns during a battle, so that you don't have to begin from scratch if you happen to make poor tactical decisions. It's especially useful during rescue missions, where the guests partners, led by A.I, are outright suicidal and need a lot of caution if you want to save them.

So, I think it's a great game, but you should be warned that it can get very frustrating at times.

Soulhouf

So, I managed to recruit this character by forsaking the Apocrypha (thank you for the advice Schopenhauer!). The battle in itself was a complete nightmare, something that I wish to not do ever again. Anyhow, I reached the ending, and unlocked the epilogue section and W.O.R.L.D.

I'm still not sure of what I should do. I could W.O.R.L.D to a previous anchor point and try a new route, or W.O.R.L.D back to before I forsake the apocrypha so I could unlock it. And, well, there is still the epilogue missions to do.

The anchor system is a little confusing... Let's say I come back to the anchor point before the rescue of
Catiua
, and unlock the apocrypha, not doing the quest where I rescue and recruit
Cressida
, and then come back to the epilogue via its anchor point, said epilogue won't be affected by the changes I made (ie. it will still consider that I didn't do the apocrypha sidequest and that I recruited
Cressida
), since I didn't reach this anchor point by proceeding normally with the story?

Overall, Tactics Ogre is an amazing game, and I get its appeal, though, well, I still dislike some gameplay choices, namely the Chaos Frame system, crafting system, and the reduced movement of our units compared to the original Tactics Ogre, where the default movement of all units seems to be 5 instead of 3 or 4 (sure, this can be remedied with the Swiftstep I and later II skill, but we can't learn it until the 23th level for the first upgrade, which if a lot of levels, and thus a lot of time). This last bit makes the battles take way longer than they should be (especially in aeras with narrow corridors where units are often stuck in the same place until other units can get out), though it could be argued that it also makes them more tactical, which is the goal I guess. And, well, it's still run way faster than the SNES version, can't complain about that.
(They did an amazing work with the music and artworks, compared to the original game. Simply splendid. I love "The Dark Knights" and "Limitation").

1/Anchor question: IIRC, as long as you don't reach the next anchor, what you did doesn't carry over when you jump back to that point. It's weird like you said but it makes sens.

2/Regarding that last sentence, you mean that you prefer the artworks of the PSP version?
They are nice, sure but kind of generic and clean compared to Yoshida's artworks which are more memorable, especially the Dark Knights.

What do you mean by "Limitation" ?

Other than that, I agree that the crafting system isn't good. It feels like it was implemented in the last development process and was rushed. Also, that stupid alchemy pot. I hate it in Level-5 games and I still hate it in TO PSP.
It could be much better if they made it in a workshop à la Vagrant Story with a stunning music.

What I hate even more is how easy the game became compared the original. Besides why the heck the permadeath has been removed since you can use CHARIOT? That stupid and these hearts are ridiculous.

The new leveling system isn't as good as the original either.

It's a stunning game regardless and probably my favorite PSP title.

Nohar

Limitation, from the OST (and the theme of black knights).

Edit: Just finished the Palace of the Dead (up to the 100th floor)... That was... Tedious and uninteresting. Sadly, a ton of items are random drops that you can't possibly stumble upon unless you are using a guide. That's one more flaw to a game which is pretty good otherwise.

Shawn6661

Just received the Lord classmark, is it worth the time to upgrade Denam from a lvl21 Warrior to a lvlX Lord ?

Edit : just tried to change class, it seems you can't learn new abilities as a Lord, why ? Does it unlock as you gain level ?

Seda

Just received the Lord classmark, is it worth the time to upgrade Denam from a lvl21 Warrior to a lvlX Lord ?

Absolutely! But I wouldn't waste your classmark right away. Have him learn double attack and divine magic (among others like Phalanx and stat boosting skills) from other classes and then turn him into a lord. Lords can use just about every ability but most of the abilities must be learned from other classes. Having a hard-hitting dual-wielding fighter able to take a beating who can heal himself is a great thing. Lords can also wield just about everything.

And of course better stats.

Getting more Lord classmarks once you unlock world is easy.

EDIT: I was too slow for your edit. Lords just can't learn a lot on their own.

Shawn6661

I think i ll keep my Denam warrior until i learn counterattack/strenghten/constitution IV then turn into a Lord. That...or i ll just change him to a powerful enough second Ninja.

The problem with all these is i think im not too far from the end of the game and i dont see the point tormenting myself since i wont do a second run nor epilogue sidequests that i read are boring.

Soulhouf

Lord is the strongest class in the game, but as said, you need to learn the skills from other classes.

Here is my current Denim (Lord) to give you an idea:

He is a living god who can do almost anything and do it well on top of that.

Gunharp

Just have one question, how do you..

EDIT:

I guess in my frustration I forgot one combination of answers. My Catiua problem has been solved.

bernardobri

Just have one question, how do you..

*warning spoilers*

How do you prevent Catiua from committing suicide? I am on the chaos route, she did not participate in the previous battle. I've tried every conversation combination.
Gamefaqs and Google search have not helped me out here.

First choice for the first question, then second choice for second question should get you preventing her suicide, I think.

Gunharp

@bernardobri
Thanks for the reply!

Went ahead and changed her class to princess. Man I am not a fan of lvl.1 or the idea of grinding more at this stage.

I went through most of the wild wood twice to obtain higher level knights, and gain the doubleshot skill on all my archers and soldiers. Not gonna grind no'mo. Though it would be nice to have dragoons. I have a feeling the crypt and the pirate graveyard are gonna be rough with the non bipeds.

Oh hey, while I am here. Big ogre battle fan, started with the N64 title when it was released. Finally playing Let Us Cling Together on my Vita got me to look up all the games. To my surprise, there is no big wiki on these games? I was hoping to find some sort of chronological story summary...or a map of the world. Though it did lead me to purchasing a set of the tarot cards off ebay, lol.

Soulhouf

I'm starting a new game, being my first entry to the series, so basically Archers wreck everything?

Archers, Ninjas and Cannopus at the begining and almost everything else later on when you understand how damage and resistance work.
This game is basically much less punishing than the original and can be broken so easily.

Top Bottom