• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

david jaffe is a strange fella.

idk if you guys watched some of his streams, I watched a few . like in the past year or so. and they are very strange sometimes. he wears horror masks. tells nasty stories. one time he got so mad at his dog and started cussing for minutes. talks very sexually on stream with other people and just nasty stuff in general. he talks about hes displeased with the industry and hes just seems overall not in a good spot. probably doing good financially i would assume. but hes a little crazy now.

one of his videos he talks about why he left sony. basically he wanted to make a game studio and sell it when it becomes worth money/successful and strike rich like his friend that sold singletrac. but he failed.

lets talk about his last few games. tm 2013 and drawn to death. oh boy where can I start

tm 2013 has some good things going for it. graphics. and some of the design of he arenas. but thats about it. the game single player was poor. the net code was poor. it took like 5 minutes to load into the server initially. which just sucked. half the cars were bad. the ultimate weapons were clunky as hell. and unuseable for some. and it was too hectic and unfun. a really poor attempt to bring back the old franchise. really really cheapishly made game

drawn to death. this game is not cheapishly made. its very deliberate. but. its just a bad idea and concept. a notebook TPS styled multiplayer arena shooter on console? how many of these ever did well. taking out the notebook part? 0. nobody makes arena shooters anymore for a reason. and its just not a good concept. the game doesn't work well.

a lot of people asked him what kind of games he wants to make. sometimes he says he never wants to make games again. which if he doesn't i wouldnt be surprised. other times he says he wants to make some of these classic old school shooters. (oh that did not come out right)

anyway. to sum it up. david seems a bit crazy. nutty. hes lost some of it. i dont think he knows what he needs to do to make a good game anymore. and I dont think anyone will give him the chance. hes just a strange weird person at this point.

i think he needs to calm down. be a bit normal. think about the stuff he doesn't need to say or do. and if he doesn't want to make games thats fine. hes just incredibly talkative on twitter. too much infact. and he just needs to settle down a bit

Last edited:
There was clearly very real anger at the core of characters like Sweet Tooth and Kratos, that's what made his work resonate.

He's never been a "normal" guy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There was clearly very real anger at the core of characters like Sweet Tooth and Kratos, that's what made his work resonate.

He's never been a "normal" guy.

He's an old-school non-politically correct liberal, stuck in today's overly sensitive "everything's offensive" world.

He grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s where people like him were far more expressively common. Probably why some of the best films, music, comics, etc., were from those eras.

He's an old-school non-politically correct liberal, stuck in today's overly sensitive "everything's offensive" world.

He grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s where people like him were far more expressively common. Probably why some of the best films, music, comics, etc., were from those eras.

i dont think thats the case. i think
Good creatives aren't normal.

his last good creative was god of war. that was 15 years+ ago

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i dont think thats the case. i think

his last good creative was god of war. that was 15 years+ ago

That's your opinion, Twisted Metal had five games and still has a fanbase. Drawn to Death was creative (for those of us who grew up in an era where we scribbled in our notebooks), it just came at a time where online gaming was shifting.

I admit I didn't play it much even though I got it for free, but I really dug the original art design. I'm not into competative multiplayer gaming like I once was on the PC back in the early to mid 2000's.

He wants to return to single-player story-driven gaming, with the horror genre. I think he can find some really good success in that. He's already off to the right start with playing Silent Hill 2 (for the first time) to help inspire creativity.

One of the best if not my top psychological horror games of all time.

Last edited:

I can sympathize.

ethomaz

Banned
Not related but the way you wrote the OP is kind strange too :D

I think he is good in making games with interesting ideias... maybe some fails here or there but he always come with something else.

I’m looking for his next works.

And to be fair he is usually normal... it just that era is a bit stranger.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
If Jaffe wants to build up a studio and sell it, he probably needs another person to manage it while he heads up creative. I don't know that he's a great game designer, businessman, or manager, but he definitely can steer others in the right direction and get something good out of them.

SonGoku

I don't get it so he's crazy because he wanted to make it big, and retire of it by selling? don't we all that's pretty much the dream, weird would be wanting to remain a pawn forever crunching hours developing an ip you don't own.
He's weird because he made a game you didn't like?

OP you are strange fella

Last edited:

ROMhack

Yeah, I hear what OP is saying. He is very talkative on Twitter and Twitter is a rigid format where public figures are forced to operate in a certain way (opinions my own, etc, etc).

I feel he might benefit from another medium but I'm struggling to think what it would be.

Last edited:

Three

Jaffe is very opinionated and he doesn't hold back. His masks and stuff are probably because he just likes spooky stuff. He named his studio supernatural detective agency and had that wierd video remember. He is just being himself on the videos and there's nothing crazy about that.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
He's a good guy, I interact with him from time to time. I like that he has strong opinions, although many of them are counter to my own positions... at least he considers a wider picture and doesn't get caught up in doctrine.

In essence, he is an independent thinker and if you think he will fit into some mold or caricature of what a game dev should be... you'll be greatly surprised.

The streaming stuff, I think some of it is just him trying to change things up and be entertaining too.

Diddy X

Haven't played any of his games but just for refference, most 'geniuses' of the history were a little or very 'kooky'.

Last edited:
No matter what you think, David Jaffe probably is going to passionately share an opinion that you will disagree with.

I don't always agree with him myself, but there's no bullshit there, and I really appreciate that about the guy.

Xenon

I always thought Jaffe was pushed out of Sony, because he didnt play well with others. None of his games really resonated with me. But I enjoyed GoW and TM. His stances have been mixed in the whole political aspect in gaming, which I can respect because at times I feel the same way. It's much better than the dug in positions I have seen others take.

Draw to Death was interesting, but you need to offer people more than just a reskin of something that could have been made 10 years ago. especially MP shooters.

I'm more shocked that he waited this long to play Silent Hill 2. It is hands down one of the greatest games on PS2 and he was working side by side with Sony.

maybe be doesn't want a 100+ team making a game. Sony Santa Monica probably grew ten fold after releasing God of War III. He started a much smaller studio for Drawn to Death. I just don't think it matched the video game manta as much as he wanted it to. That kinda stuff is cool, but it's also very passable on the store. Maybe download for it a couple days and move on.

Speaking about someone else. What came after Gears of War 1-3? Retirement and starting a small studio that made an arena game. Another outspoken person who now, doesn't want to make games ever again. Thinks more about the rich CEO business men who probably dont play video games and who also thinks gaming is a super toxic environment. Why couldn't that guy stop making multiplayer? He made a lot of his money/fans from the single player campaign too.

Applaud Jaffe for still wanting to make games at a somewhat bad time in his career.

I think he just needs to go back to designing the experience and not some baseball-type of multiplayer. The big shoes publishers are doing that. They're crawling all over trying to solve the F2P battle royal itch.

Live in your world, play in ours. He probably knows the meaning to that better than most. If he goes a little bonkers here and there, then maybe he'll get back to doing just that. Creating awesome experiences that take us somewhere else.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I really hope he comes back to doing AAA again, I have seen him interacting with Cory Barlog in twitter and it seems like they get along well.

Sony first party portfolio needs to step out of comfort zone, Days Gone looked like a really mediocre Last Of Us clone in that last trailer for example.

CuNi

He made games people cherish, that's the gist of it.

I mean he did create some amazing games, don't get me wrong, but I just don't understand why people cherish him like a god waking amongst game devs. I never understand why people already praise unreleased games made by some Dev that they like. I mean I would get it if he's doing another game the genre he is known for but if devs venture forth into new genres I feel like people should have a critical approach. Sure the chances for that game to be successful are higher than with some new Dev but just because someone has a good track record in a genre doesn't mean he will have a equally good one in another genre.

But that's just how I see it I guess.

dolabla

It's because he's an Auburn fan. There's no other explanation.

:p

J/K Jaffe. You need to come back to GAF!

SonGoku

I mean he did create some amazing games, don't get me wrong, but I just don't understand why people cherish him like a god waking amongst game devs. I never understand why people already praise unreleased games made by some Dev that they like. I mean I would get it if he's doing another game the genre he is known for but if devs venture forth into new genres I feel like people should have a critical approach. Sure the chances for that game to be successful are higher than with some new Dev but just because someone has a good track record in a genre doesn't mean he will have a equally good one in another genre.

But that's just how I see it I guess.
Its quite simple: Make God tier games and the fans will idolize you, they don't need to reinvent the wheel every time, just make polished HQ entries.
This isn't exclusive to Kojima, look at all the love and praise the likes of Kamiya, Yamauchi, Ueda, ND, FromSoftware, R* etc. get
Fans used to idolize Gaben for years before he became complacent and stopped releasing real games.
Im always more exited about an unreleased game from a well renowned dev than one i don't know much about

This goes for all types of media, If you watch DBS you probably know fans idolize certain animators

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Streaming creates more problems for David Jaffe than it solves, but his ego still gets views so do yourself a favor OP and don’t watch

A.Romero

He reminds me of Alex Jones somehow...

TBH I never particularly enjoyed his games but I respect his pedigree.

He is not releasing anything anymore. He is West's Inafune/Itagaki.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom