• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenon Racer gameplay trailer is borderline fraudelent

[Nintendo Switch]

The gameplay trailer looked something like Fast RMX, thank god I saw this review first because even on the eshop, its the same trailer but it obviously doesnt represent how the actual gameplay looks like on the switch. Its a day and night difference, it went from being shown off as this visual fidelity to a low budget mobile game that costs $50!

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The trailer looks like a console game. The gameplay looks like some free-with-ads phone game.

Great Hair

Banned
Looks like an attempt to scam ppl. with a shitty mobile game ported over to the switch. The reviwer must have tiny balls ... too afraid of a backslash?! How the actual fuck can you review this piece of shit and give it a 13 / 20 in GAMEPLAY constantly crashing into every corner?! Visuals at 11/20?! ... geezus fuck off if you are too much of a chicken.

Its a broken mess, non stop popins, missing assets, gameplay from hell and technically wise just all over the place ... what a shitty reviewer. Afraid of being blacklisted ...

Last edited:
tbf that trailer looks like a replay trailer not gameplay

True, however there are plenty of shots of behind the car that does look like the gameplay. But thats not even the issue, the lighting is totally different, literally potato mode version of the said game. The contrast is huge, no reflections, no sparks, all the effects shown even if it was replay, does not represent the actual look of the game. They should of made a different trailer for the Switch. Also lets not forget this is a $50 game, i mean this same thing on mobile would be $5 max.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Nintendo needs to clamp down on this shit.

It's bad enough there are games on the eshop that barely run properly on the Switch but now we have trailers and "screenshots" that are straight up lying to the customer.

It's nonsense and it does not bode well for the future.

zenspider

Looks like an attempt to scam ppl. with a shitty mobile game ported over to the switch. The reviwer must have tiny balls ... too afraid of a backslash?! How the actual fuck can you review this piece of shit and give it a 13 / 20 in GAMEPLAY constantly crashing into every corner?! Visuals at 11/20?! ... geezus fuck off if you are too much of a chicken.

Its a broken mess, non stop popins, missing assets, gameplay from hell and technically wise just all over the place ... what a shitty reviewer. Afraid of being blacklisted ...

SwitchUp is cut from the Dave Halverson cloth - they're on the enthusiastic end of the spectrum (which is really refreshing to me).

55% is a very low score from them.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Every time I see these performance issues, I just want to scream "SWITCH PRO" thankfully it appears to be coming.
Performance. Performance. Performance. I mean, the graphics here are passable but the frame rate just trashes the game.

Virex

Abrasive, but well-meaning
Nintendo needs to start doing some quality control on the eShop. 90% of stuff on there are just mobile trash. eShop needs serious work because all the trash on there that it's been flooded with makes it hard to find the good stuff

Barnabot

Can the Switch run Virtua Racing at least at 60 fps? Seems to be a real struggle to develop a racing game for Switch with that 60fps specs.

Last edited:

Fake

Looks bad no doub, but are some games like Dark Souls and Skyrim doing the same? Using trailers from others plataform?

Stuart360

The game is stunning maxed out on PC, and its using UE4. Only so much you can do with Switch hardware, and its alright Switch owners always talking about Fast RMX but that game has barely any trackside detail and what it has is very basic in complexity.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Serious? In comparison with NS? Really?

I know it's not going to look as good don't get me wrong but that game in the OP is so very far away.
It's a different game entirely.

It actually reminds me of a GBA port of a PS2 game when that happened. Same name, entirely different look and feel.
Are we at that point now with the Switch?

kingbean

That's a real shame. I was thinking about picking it up on switch. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting for F-zero.

SonGoku

True, however there are plenty of shots of behind the car that does look like the gameplay. But thats not even the issue, the lighting is totally different, literally potato mode version of the said game. The contrast is huge, no reflections, no sparks, all the effects shown even if it was replay, does not represent the actual look of the game. They should of made a different trailer for the Switch. Also lets not forget this is a $50 game, i mean this same thing on mobile would be $5 max.
Replay modes have behind the car POVs as well, Lightning, motion blur, LODs tend to be much higher quality.
Im not defending the game, not even sure if the game replay mode looks like the trailer im just pointing out Racing games tend to use replay mode for trailers and its easy to tell from the shots, IQ and assets.
The game is stunning maxed out on PC, and its using UE4. Only so much you can do with Switch hardware, and its alright Switch owners always talking about Fast RMX but that game has barely any trackside detail and what it has is very basic in complexity.
tbf the Switch can do much better, a low budget effort using a third party engine its not a indicator of the best you can expect from the hw.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

You do know that Fast RMX is just an enhanced port of an wii u game with more content, right? And it still looks that good. Xenon Racer doesnt looks that good, and it' can't even maintain a locked 60fps on a ps4, and you want to tell me that the problem here is not the devs, but the hardware?

nikos

It was immediately obvious to me that it we weren't seeing Switch gameplay, which is why I bought it on PC even though this would be cool to have on a handheld. It does look good and run well on PC. Here's some footage of it at max settings. The motion blur, which is at 100 (default) here, is a bit much. If you lower it to 20% or so, it's a lot more crisp.

Stuart360

You do know that Fast RMX is just an enhanced port of an wii u game with more content, right? And it still looks that good. Xenon Racer doesnt looks that good, and it' can't even maintain a locked 60fps on a ps4, and you want to tell me that the problem here is not the devs, but the hardware?
Yes.

SonGoku

Not sure if serious
Its a low budget indie multiplatform effort, they can't optimize for PS4 let alone switch. Of course its not a indicator of the best the hw can do given a bigger budget
You can't expect AAA production values and optimization from a indie multiplatform effort.

Top Bottom