• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard was totally off my radar before this gen, but now I love them

Sanctuary

This is a weird thing to say, they have always been money focussed.

I think the point is that some game developers don't only do it for the money. Before Blizzard started raking it in with WoW, they put forth an extra effort like very few of their contemporaries, similarly to how mid to late 90s Bioware did. While they still make very polished games, they've become much less creative over the years and simply churn out "good" but not "exceptionally great" games. They were actually barely original with most of their prior releases anyway; they just polished them to hell and back. They don't need to try anymore.

That being said, I've cumulatively put more hours into Blizzard games than any other company besides Capcom. I started with The Lost Vikings too, and then moved on to Blackthorne.

aadiboy

Blizzard takes a long time to make games, but they always come out amazing, and last a long time. Their last new ip before Overwatch was Starcraft, which came out in 1998.

barit

Yep, they're pretty special.

Minus Diablo 3 pre Reaper of Souls and Mists of Pandaria, everything ha been smash hits.

WoW ate up much more of my time than I'm willing to admit, that I had to stop. Although I did return for Legion because mutha-fuggin-Demon Hunters!

In sales D3 was even one of the biggest success stories on PC for a AAA game I think. The game sold in its first week like 13m copies or something. It was super insane as far as I remember. Sure fans were disappointed with the product but at least Blizzard took it to heart and redeemed themself with RoS later.

llien

D2 was challenging and fun, somehow PS3 version of D3 was uh oh, enemies, what enemies for me, something is a miss with difficulty level.

Played it with my spouse, we basically rolled over everything, hardly any resistance.

Story didn't impress either.

Didn't try Overwatch, but if I do, it will be with mouse and keyboard, not weird "aim with it as if it were a cannon" controller thing.

In sales D3 was even one of the biggest success stories on PC for a AAA game I think. The game sold in its first week like 13m copies or something. It was super insane as far as I remember. Sure fans were disappointed with the product but at least Blizzard took it to heart and redeemed themself with RoS later.

D3 had a supersolid foundation: D2. And if you take that into account, 13m copies are nowhere as impressive.
In 2008 11 (!!!) million players were still playing D2.

Zushin

Blizzard from inception to ~WotLK were almost unmatched as a developer imo. They just aren't the same anymore. Dont get me wrong, they still make good games but they've just lost something that made their games magical.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Blizzard was so intrinsically tied to my childhood gaming experiences with Warcraft and later Diablo. It's so crazy for me to think about not having those games or even really the context of Blizzard as a defining gaming touchstone for some people.

Kanojo23

Hahaha me too! I love playing Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne and Hearthstone... I will soon download Diablo.
I want to join WCG 2019 Xi'an for the qualifiers but I'm still working on my favorite character Dopefish. Anyways, anyone going to stream on July 18~21, 2019 for WCG?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Shame because right now they're at their worst.

Second. After the merge with Activision and bad decisions overall. Diablo franchise changed from a rpg masterpiece to a dull action game. WoW from a mmorpg to a kiddie game and so on.

Ten years ago Blizzard was the definition of only releasing masterpieces. Now they are well polished average games.

BlackTron

Blizzard is up there with Nintendo, Sega and Atlus on my favs of all time list. Still, they were struck a major blow in my eyes when Starcraft 2, of all games, came out without a LAN mode and terrible story. This was my most anticipated game of all time and I expected something different. It's still a good game, but its various issues make it not as good at Starcraft/Brood War, even if its better graphics and various QoL improvements make it easier to boot up for a quick match.

But today we have Starcraft Remastered and Overwatch is my go-to FPS. Blizzard has always commanded my attention in the PC space

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
To me, they make overated garbage games. I liked them back in the Warcraft/StarCraft era, but lost me at WoW.

Last edited:

Zaffo

Guess turning their back to the loyal fan base in order to appeal to the console and mobile market, made at least someone happy?

Top Bottom