• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The death of PC Gaming - blame the Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
But here's the thing - if the next gen of consoles can close the gap even further, to where it's tough for a casual to tell a material difference between console and PC titles, who loses? With TVs at that point most likely having 1080i as a standard, who loses? If the manufacturers get their heads out of their asses and abstract inputs like PCs have done forever (so you can plug in a mouse & keyboard for FPSs and whatnot), who loses?

Don't get me wrong; I'm a PC gamer first and foremost and always have been. But I don't have a problem with buying a $300 console that stays current for 5-7 years and never hangs (or rarely, in Xbox land) rather than spending that much on a graphics card alone every year. I'd love to be able to play WarCraft sitting on my couch.

User 406

Banned
adrockthekid said:
If the manufacturers get their heads out of their asses and abstract inputs like PCs have done forever (so you can plug in a mouse & keyboard for FPSs and whatnot), who loses?

Well, that's the thing. The PSX2 does have USB ports, and for a while there we were getting a number of FPSes with USB mouse support, but lately it's been zilch. It was infuriating to play demos of XIII and Firewarrior which both had USB mouse support, only to find out that the final games had it removed. It would seem that the general console public's willingness to settle for aiming with a stubby little stick is winning. :(

Yeah; that's why they should take it out of dev's hands and abstract the inputs so that the hardware does everything and then talks to the software about what happens in the game. But who knows if that'll actually happen. Grr.

Malakhov

Banned
Death of pc gaming? I've never been a bigger pc gamer than now and I used to swear by consoles only before.

I cant see pc gaming dying because of xbox, im a huge fan of team green but no way will it kill an entire pc community, im hoping to get back into pc gaming actually i miss mouse and keyboard for shooters alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom