• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gaming Age World Boxing Association (a.k.a. Fight Night Round 2) Thread

Shadax

Banned
OK, since this hits tomorrow, let's get a list of who's getting it (XBOX version, of course, you fools!) and start laying out the groundwork for rules for created boxers and bouts. Last time we had these regular players:

DJ Demon J
Fifty
Wellington
WasabiKing
Bishoptl
DMczaf
Biff Hardbody (currently the #1 ranked GAF boxer)

Kinesis expressed interest, so that makes 8 boxers, which should be good enough. Of course, more are welcome to join. I believe last time we had rules to play 10 matches against GAWBA fighters (with at least 1 match against every fighter) to determine who had the best record to determine seeds in the first tourney to determine the GAWBA Heavyweight Champion). I suggest we try this same path, then, when a champion is determined, he/she must defend the belt at least once a week, with the #2 ranked player (to be determined by the best non-champion record from continual exhibition matches against GAWBA fighters) earning the right to challenge the champ.

Sound good? Please post with comments and suggestions.

Confirmed boxers:

DJ Demon J
Fifty
Bishoptl(PS2? WHAT WHAT WHAT)

Fifty

PS2? Why Bish why?

I might pick it up tomorrow, we'll see. If so, it'll be on the Xbox, and if I do get it, I'll certainly join.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I got it for Xbox Earlier today.
It's on, Now I just gotta fund this broads credit card to get back on live.
I'm nasty!

How are we doing this we should have a championship that needs to be defended.
Come on Biff your number 1 get this game and lets play!

Don't worry Bish I'll pick up the ps2 version on my game pass and rock you a couple times.

tysonfergusonpasspic.jpeg

I'll eat your children Kinesis!

That is if I get the game, man. I'll try my best. If I do, I will make surre to get some good matches in with you. If I get it, it'll be Friday, no earlier.

-Biff Hardbody (currently the #1 ranked GAF boxer)

W00t I like that title. Thanks Demon. :bow

Shadax

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
-Biff Hardbody (currently the #1 ranked GAF boxer)

W00t I like that title. Thanks Demon. :bow

Just enjoy it while it lasts. You're gonna hit the canvas a lot starting Friday.

KiNeSiS

Banned
All of you gather round I am back on Xbox Live new name:
Kinesis Kills Add me if you want a fight you can never win. The challenge of your life. All will fall by my gloved fist.... I'm the greatest a real scientific pugilist I box for real I know what to throw. Going on now good night suckas! If you don't got this game get it. If you can't afford it drive to Blockbuster now I'm taking MuthaFuckas Heads OFF!!!

Shadax

Banned
I was logged on for about 30 minutes and sent Kinesis a friend request but he never responded. It's OK Kinesis, I'd be afraid of me too! :lol

KiNeSiS

Banned
HELL YEAH!
I knew you couldn't resist for much longer...
Great game logged on you must be practicing whever your ready I'll go back on.

I'm watching movies, but I should be free in an hour or more...I got my practice in before, whatever else I need I'll pickup on the fly. I don't have my mic offhand, can we use text to communicate? I'd like to play a variety of weight classes if that's cool. Oh yeah, you use total punch control, right? None of that buttons shit?

KiNeSiS

Banned
I exclusivly use the TPC
Watch yourself with decisions on this game.
I suffered my first loss a couple of days ago during a welterweight match.

I was Arturo Gatti v Mickey Ward
This kid was very scared of the analog asking the first seconds of play if I'm one of the players that throws all haymakers. So I took it easy on him with the heymakers for a little bit because he lied saying he plays with TPC I could tell he wasn't.
The whole match wasn't enjoyable he kept mashing the buttons with straights for distance I would get in chip away at him then he would just hammer the controls. Basically the fight went the distance he escaped a couple of knock outs by clinching which I'll give him credit for.

The moral is if it goes to a decision a button masher will win. One more round and it would of been a KO for in my favor. I'm undefeated in heavy weight. But that marked up one of my favorite divisions records.

KiNeSiS said:
I exclusivly use the TPC
Watch yourself with decisions on this game.
I suffered my first loss a couple of days ago during a welterweight match.

I was Arturo Gatti v Mickey Ward
This kid was very scared of the analog asking the first seconds of play if I'm one of the players that throws all haymakers. So I took it easy on him with the heymakers for a little bit because he lied saying he plays with TPC I could tell he wasn't.
The whole match wasn't enjoyable he kept mashing the buttons with straights for distance I would get in chip away at him then he would just hammer the controls. Basically the fight went the distance he escaped a couple of knock outs by clinching which I'll give him credit for.

The moral is if it goes to a decision a button masher will win. One more round and it would of been a KO for in my favor. I'm undefeated in heavy weight. But that marked up one of my favorite divisions records.

Cool. :D I'll be free in 5 minutes (9:55 est). I'll add you to my friends list "Kinesis kills" right? Hope we can hook up.

KiNeSiS

Banned
just got off and lost to marciano due to damage this game has some serious problems... I'll tell you online what happened.
I'm indifferent to Klichsko but this was similar to how he got fucked fighting Lewis.

Fifty

Biff, seeing as how Kinesis just got banned for a month, maybe we'll have to resume our epic Gotti-Ward series. :D

:lol

Kinesis...

Fifty, if you haven't got the game...definitely get it. Some of the better online games, console or pc I had was on Fight Night against you in the Gatti/Ward fights. The haymaker dynamic changes the gameplay somewhat, but the overall gameplay is just allot smoother...I like it more for sure.

Fifty

Oh I have the game, I've already played tons of career mode. I just haven't felt the need to post impressions considering that you guys were doing such a great job, and I was busy playing it. ;p I'll probably be on late late tonight, or tomorrow, maybe we can set something up. Add me again to your friends list. the tag is still che guevara.

Fifty

God, losing in this game sucks. It's not like a team sport where so many things can go wrong.....You lost because you got beat

Anyway.

- I don't throw haymakers, and I suck. Maybe it's because I don't like the idea of charging up punches, maybe it's because I'm used to the single player mode and the CPU overusing them annoys me, and I don't want to do them, or maybe it's just because I haven't figured out how to do them. Anyway, I lost mainly because of that

-The online delay SUCKS. It's almost a guessing game out there with the lag

-While I love the cutman feature, and seeing the damage, having to sit through it twice, with lag, is boring as fuck. I think you can turn it off in unranked games....I hope so, but darn, I'd miss seeing the damage. Anyway, I'd prefer it done automatically online. I'm a fighter, not a cut man.

You did pretty good, especially considering you didn't throw haymakers. They are a part of the game though...I agree overpowered, but I think they have their role as power shots.

With fighters like Marciano, I throw lots because that's basically how he actually fought. He's so strong in the game, he can wobble with just normal punches. I have to admit though, I was scared when you immediately opened a cut over my eye. If you had lasted some more rounds, I think you would have gotten a cut stoppage. I think Ali's chin is underrated in the game. He's got some decent power in game actually, its just they gave Rocky a rock solid chin.

With Gatti I'll work the jab much, much more. Dance, move...look to land my power shots when I can. I forget how many jabs I threw with Gatti in our 1st fight, but I think it was over 500. The whole strategy with him I base on moving, fighting from the outside. With Duran I like to work the jab and left hooks, and use allot of power shots inside with him.

Anyhow, good games. I hope we can do em again.

I agree about the cutman, I wish we could do it at the same time.

I had trouble doing jab, cross, left hook at the beginning. At the end I started to land it more, but it was still harder.

Fifty

Yeah, it's true, and I'm sure we'll play again in a day or so....I just get pissed when I land a square uppercut in close (because my style is vintage Mike Tyson..as you know from playing me and watching me even punch myself out) and it doesn't stop your guy from doing his magical haymaker charge! Since they're now a part of the game the only way to stop that is to learn how to do them myself, even if they piss the hell out of me. I got my ass handed to me, I nearly broke my stupid s controller (regular controller works better for this) and my thumbs hurt, but I'll be back, oh yes, I'll be back.

I agree, an uppercut should knock the guy out of the uppercut position. Stupid that it doesn't. Seems the best thing to do when a haymaker comes at you is either dodge it or block it. I like to parry if I have time and land an uppercut.

Uppercuts are good at stopping the clinch though.

Hey, it was cool when we did like 8 million parries in a row against eachother. :lol

Shadax

Banned
Biff, I'll be online tonight and I'll be looking to test my Frazier out against your Marciano. Gamertag is DJ Demon J .

This fight won't go more then 4 rounds I'm betting. I played around with Frazier and Marciano, and both guys hit way too hard for it to be anything else. The emphasis on infighting both boxers have make me think that whoever wins our matchup to night will do it shortly and brutally.

You know who I'm enjoying in this game? Sonny Liston. He's got solid power, decent speed, and a nice reach. He's a nice change from Marcianos crowding punching power style, with Liston I prefer to let the jab do the work.

Shadax

Banned
Biff: I'm free right now until 9PM EST to play (or after 10PM EST until 11:30PM EST). Post when you're free to play and I'll log on...

I agree with your assessment of our fight....I look forward to using some other boxers to have some different styles of matches--including created boxers that look like ourselves like we all did last year. :)

I think I will be free at 8/30 PM. I'm sure I will be free after 10 as well, but if 8/30 is cool with you I will shoot for that. I'll pm you at that time just before I log on.

Yeah, I look foward to the different matchups as well. I find the lighter weight classes have offered me more satisfying/strategic boxing action, light and welter are the ones I've enjoyed the most.

Shadax

Banned
Wow, great matches Biff. I just couldn't seem to finish you off so many times. 1 punch away from putting you down.... :(

That 2nd match I didn't even notice the 1000 points on the lower right cheek until it was like 5 seconds left in cut man mode. Damn referee! Frazier could've kept fighting dammit! :p

Some really great counters and knockdowns--my favorite was that beautiful overhand that sent your mouthpiece flying. :D

The last match was insane, I was fucking scared I was going to get stopped at anytime. As soon as you hit the cut I was like "Oh Karmic justice for the previous cut stoppage I scored". I protected the right side of my head exclusively from there on in, and it was just brutal. I wish we could have saved that, because it went 9 rounds of two powerhouses absolutely destroying eachother in Frazier and Marciano.

The 1st fight was awesome too, you almost had me there, man. Phew, tough...

I was wondering about the 2nd fight too, and I agree...Frazier can always keep fighting :D

You are an absolute master with that clinch man...it was next to impossible to finish you.

We have to do this again soon, maybe lighter weights next time? They are fun, man. Not so much power, I rely less on haymakers and more on boxing. Those heavyweight matches we had tonight were great though...insane the last one went so long. Thank you for the games.

Shadax

Banned
Absolutely, we'll do middle or welterweight next time. Yea, the clinch is tough to time...there are a few times where I gambled, thinking I could put you down before you put me down, but I should've just clinched. Marciano seems to have a ridiculous left hook and a left uppercut. You worked the jab very well, much better than I did. I can't wait to the next fight. I'll school Kinesis for a while to prepare for our next fight. :lol

You know, I never ever had to work the jab with Marciano before. But, going inside against your Frazier made me want to score on the outside as much as possible. I'd really like to try my Liston vs your Frazier, because I think I could play the outside game much better then with Marciano, but at the same time I am curious if I could withstand the beating with Liston that I took with Marciano.

I know those times you were thinking about. You were hitting me so often I was thinking "Hey, I'm the one who's supposed to on the offensive!"

Great games, we'll do em again soon I hope.

Shadax, I'm gunna grab a bite to eat. If your free, I could go for a couple matches (my Liston VS your Frazier?) in 25 minutes (around 3:15).

Shadax

Banned
I don't get home from work until 6:30PM EST, but I'm free all night (aside from 9-10PM for 24). Let me know if you can play tonight.

Top Bottom