• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

14697708026_845c3e8e46_o.png

Thanks to Canis lupus (grabbing the OT), Pranay_ (Most of the text), [NaK] (Screenshots), VisceralBowl (Banners & format), and Naughty Dog (raw assets, plot & character summaries) for the content within this OT. REMEMBER TO MARK YOUR SPOILERS! PLEASE DO NOT POST SCREENSHOTS OF ANYTHING THAT COULD REMOTELY BE CONSIDERED A SPOILER.

14741736403_671c5b8fc6_o.png

• Developer: Naughty Dog
  • Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Genre: Survival Action
  • Platform: PS4
  • Release: 29th of July
  • Online Play: 2 - 8 Players
  • Included: Base game, Left Behind [SP], Abandoned [MP], Reclaimed [MP]
  • Day one patch: Photo Mode [OT by VisceralBowl], Making of documentary & commentary
  • PSN Download Size: 44 GB (PlayGo activated)
  • 1080p at 60 FPS (optional 30 FPS lock)
  • Other features: Higher resolution textures, higher poly models, improved shadows and lighting
  • $49.99
Pre-order Bonuses
  • 100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
  • Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after you complete the single player campaign
  • Increased Crafting Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Increased Healing Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • 9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
Digital PlayStation Store pre-order bonuses
  • All of the previous pre-order bonuses mentioned
  • Early Access to the Brawler Survival Skill in Factions Mode
  • Early Access to additional Loadout Points for use in Factions Mode
  • Early Access to the Jeep Cap and Surgical Mask for use in Factions Mode
14741736373_b059bbe2e9_o.png

Joel, a ruthless survivor with few moral lines left to cross, lives in one of the last remaining Quarantine Zones. These walled-off, oppressive cities are run by what’s left of the military. Despite the strict martial law, Joel operates in the black market of the city, smuggling contraband for the right price. Joel is asked by a dying friend to look after Ellie, a fourteen-year-old girl with courage beyond her years. What starts out as a simple job to deliver Ellie to another Quarantine Zone, soon transforms into a profound journey that will forever change Joel and Ellie. As they trek across a post-pandemic United States, Joel and Ellie will encounter different factions of survivors that have each found a unique way of dealing with the infected humans, the lack of supplies, and the threat of other survivors. As Joel and Ellie struggle to persevere, they must learn to trust each other and work together in order to survive the realities of this new world.

14724421511_51ac1710af_o.png

The Last of Us: Left Behind is a prequel to The Last of Us. Left Behind tells the story of Ellie and Riley. Throughout the entirety of the DLC, you will control Ellie. It is extremely important that you play this after completing the main game and not before.

14742475433_4dd21c91c2_o.png

Joel -
A brutal survivor with few moral lines left to cross. Joel, now in his late 40s, has been hardened by the ravages of the fungal pandemic that has devastated civilization as we know it. Living in one of few remaining military-controlled quarantine zones, he operates as a black market smuggler, dealing in contraband, taking numerous de-humanizing jobs over the years to survive in this new post-pandemic world. Joel’s conscience slowly dwindles away as he shuts down his emotions to cope to his new life.

Ellie -
A brave, 14 year old girl, Ellie has grown up in this harsh world and it is all she has ever known. Naïve and curious about the outside world, she is wise beyond her years and highly capable of taking care of herself and those around her. Obsessed with comic books, CDs, and other pop culture, her knowledge base is filled by the remnants of a world that no longer exists.

14721869865_ee6d21950e_o.png

Combat -
The combat in the The Last of Us is very realistic and strategic. Resources are limited and the lethality of weapons is very high, as in reality. You can't only hide behind cover and wait for your health to regenerate like in Uncharted; rather, "health packs" must be applied to repair damage to Joel or Ellie's health. There are both guns and melee combat, as well as breakable weapons such as planks and bricks. Part of the gameplay revolve around scavenging for new items.

Items -
Items are in The Last of Us. Items are objects that Joel and Ellie can utilize to further their survival, combat enemies, replenish their health, and store things in. The groups that items fall under include ammunition, battery, binding, alcohol, blade, sugar, explosives, and canister. All of these item groups contain items that Joel and Ellie can scavenge for, like revolver ammunition, or craft out of simple items, as in the case of the Molotov Cocktail.

General -
  • 5 Difficulty Levels - Easy, Normal, Hard, Survivor, and Grounded
  • Game has New Game +
  • Game is different compared to uncharted. Surviving is key.
  • Game is 15 - 20 hrs
  • Game has listen mode which helps player see through wall to locate the enemy
  • Listen mode can turned off.
  • Game Prompts and Highlighting can be turned off
  • Game Enemies are infected, survivors and nature itself.
  • You play as Joel
14535279068_c419d7fe9a_o.png

14541248447_eb1465e9d1_o.png

Remastered MP OT

The Last of Us contains a multiplayer mode called Factions.

Clan -
There is a robust clan system where you can recruit survivors into your clan. You can then send them out on missions for supplies, to rescue other survivors, and train to repel or attack Infecteds or Marauders. Clan members can die from attacks, starvation, or sickness. They can also become infected. Members will join your clan depending on the matches you win, the supplies you have and attacks you repel. Link your Facebook to have the AI clan members named after your friends!

Classes -
  • Assault
  • Sniper
  • Support
  • Stealth
  • Custom
Gamemodes

Supply Raid -
Executions are possible.
Each map is designed especially for stealth. Supply stashes are out in the open and dangerous to approach without teammates, however it contains supplies vital for your team's success and the overall health of your clan. All while being met by an enemy team, fighting for the very same supplies. Each team gets twenty collective lives and whichever team runs out of lives first loses.

Survivors -
Survival is the key and teamwork is an optional factor. You must eliminate everyone else until you are left standing at the end of the match. It is a best of seven rounds format and supplies go to the team that wins four of seven rounds by having the last man or woman standing. There's no respawning, but you can buy weapons and ammo

Interrogation -
Teams must locate a Lockbox holding supplies by capturing an enemy and interrogating them. Five enemies are needed to reveal the lockbox's location and open it. Teamwork is important, as being killed can be a disadvantage to your team. If the team's lockbox is located, the lockbox will need to be defended to keep enemies away. Unlike the other gamemodes, there are no lives, so players can respawn infinitely.

General features -
  • It has a currency system based on resources.
  • Characters are customizable with helmets, masks, hats, gestures, and a sort of facial construction.
  • It will have a unique perk system called Survival Skills.
  • Clans that are composed of AI and other players.
  • Default classes exist as well as the ability to create your own.
  • Many in-game events are random.
  • You're rewarded clan members for doing well in missions.
  • Players can craft in real-time, as in single player.
14539589378_7cd83e6142_o.png

Trailers [No spoilers]
Teaser trailer.
Story trailer
Extended TV Spot
Multiplayer Trailer

Screens
Bullshots

Actual ingame shots:
So Neil came by my desk earlier to talk about something and I had photo mode up and he started playing around with it. I left, came back a while better and he left this beauty up on the screen.
So here you go... a photo mode screenshot personally composed by Neil.
Hosted on Minus for all you "Twitter compresses images" people. :)
iosEUyqJta6Ud.jpg

Music
The texture of Gustavo’s musical score serves the game’s narrative and the music is rife with poignant, descriptive and intimate sounds. His work is unlike anything heard in a video game before. It’s a beautiful, haunting, sonic landscape that makes the game’s themes more emotionally resonant and emphasizes thoughtfully how Joel, Ellie, and all the characters in the game perceive the world around them. It’s a masterful musical score.
Check out the music here.

14727004234_b3a34714d6_o.png

Click here to check out the photomode thread!

14576236187_64708aa9b0_o.png

Click here to check out the review thread!

14562534700_b302a7fec8_o.png

Check out the screenshot contest!

REMEMBER TO MARK YOUR SPOILERS!

Toki767

Nice.

I wasn't originally going to buy this, but since Gamestop is doing that 50% trade-in upgrade, I'll happily spend $25 on this.

weevles

I saw a trailer of the remaster intercut with the promo for the "One Night Live" principle actor reading (OT, I am so bummed I am not going to that), and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I was not the biggest fan of the game, but the remaster looks pretty freaking fantastic and I actually can't wait to play it again on PS4.

mrhej

Going to play this game for first time when I get a PS4 soon. I hope it's as good as Gaf is hyping it up to be.

LAA

Ha ha! I thought excitement would be high here, ha ha.

Its happening!!!...Next friday...

The last of my patience...

Palocca

Beautiful OT. Kudos!

I can't wait for this to come out. These past couple of days have been really testing my patience.

The poll says that 'The Rest of Us' won t for the OT title....WE'VE BEEN ROBBED, GUYS! ALERT THE MODS!

JK, don't call them.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can't wait to play this again.

All you guys going through for the first time are in for something special.

Man

Tremendous game and achievement. A great time guaranteed. THE standard of game creation today. Can't wait to replay it.

Cess007

Nice.

I wasn't originally going to buy this, but since Gamestop is doing that 50% trade-in upgrade, I'll happily spend $25 on this.

This is me. I wasn't sure to buy the Remaster, but that gamestop deal made it for me. I can't wait to play it on the weekend!

Top Bottom