• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Currently stuck in the sewers (separated from Ellie part) on Grounded mode with a bullet in my rifle and a bullet in my revolver.

I was able to sneak through on my first ever play through on normal but since then I've only played on survivor where I've held down a corner and blasted until there was nobody left. But that's not an option now.

Without sounding too moany, I honestly think Grounded is a little too hard for enjoyment. The checkpoints are sometimes stupid and the enemies a little OP, especially as Joel isn't meant to be a complete pushover.

So far, Survivor was the most incredible balance between item management, surviving, difficulty etc. and my favourite run by far.

If it's the part with Sam, pick up the ammo for the shorty and RUN.... all the way to the back where the ladder is. Pick off the couple infected following you and boost Sam up. You may get lucky and only have to shove one back, if not just hope for the best and for Sam to drop the ladder fast enough. I spent some time on this and then just ran. Running is a life saver in Grounded.

I think Im like two thirds of the way through the game. There are some brutal difficulty spikes and like two key areas that were just not fun at all, but this is one whale of a fucking game.
Probably the most engrossing game Ive played since Bioshock Infinite and probably the most immersive game ive played since Half Life 2.
Its not flawless, but goddamn when it hits its stride there are maybe like only a half dozen other action shooters that even come close to its level.

Finished TLoU this afternoon. I thought I knew what this story was about but the later parts of the game hit me with powerful new meaning and I came away extremely impressed.

I like to think that Joel was afraid of getting attached to Ellie not just because of the pain it would inflict on him, but because of the pain it would inflict on others. Him saving Ellie is a beautiful thing and I think he was right about Marlene being full of shit, but at the same time he robbed Ellie of her choice and he did prevent a cure from being developed. In any case, I wanted her to live too. I guess that's what makes the ending so powerful, you agree with Joel while simultaneously feeling his guilt.

Ishan

Finished TLoU this afternoon. I thought I knew what this story was about but the later parts of the game hit me with powerful new meaning and I came away extremely impressed.

I like to think that Joel was afraid of getting attached to Ellie not just because of the pain it would inflict on him, but because of the pain it would inflict on others. Him saving Ellie is a beautiful thing and I think he was right about Marlene being full of shit, but at the same time he robbed Ellie of her choice and he did prevent a cure from being developed. In any case, I wanted her to live too. I guess that's what makes the ending so powerful, you agree with Joel while simultaneously feeling his guilt.

the ending and what it entails has so many interpretations. I walked away from it thinking obviously its this and I feel this way about it till I read/heard/watched other opinions. Guess that's what makes it awesome. Like all great works open to interpretation and debate :)

Facism

gooooood 60fps sweaty palms goodness.

Game came with my new ps4. Time to complete Survivor for the 6th time :eek: This is one of those games like RE4 or Remake where i'll continue to have a full playthrough of it years after it's release.

ngower

I've been looking at this game for a while, but am waiting for an inevitable price drop. It's currently $42.02 at Amazon, but I have a suspicion it could drop during Black Friday/holiday sales. The question is not if I'll buy the game—you don't need to convince me there—but when. So, just looking for some feedback: is it worth waiting a little while longer for a $20-30 price tag, or is $40 about as low as it's going to get?

Hubb

It is a tough call that I'm sure none of us really now. My guess is that it will either drop on BF or for the Winter holidays. If you lasted this long you might as well wait it out unless you really want something to play now.

Im sure it'll go down to $30 on BF. But there is a possibility it will just stay at $40 considering its still a 'next-gen' game.

Either way, this game is worth a full price and if you haven't played it bail out!

OchreHand

Finally finished the main story. It was so exhausting but the game is incredibly satisfying. I thought at some point we would meet
ish
but I enjoyed reading his letters.

End Spoiler:
the only thing I didn't like was killing the doctor with the knife. I get that Joel is far from an angel but it made me, the player, feel guilty despite massacring others. Oddly conflicting.

Lulu23

the last of us:
PL0ik2M.jpg

This picture is from the console screenshot thread.

Isn't this room really similar to the ballroom-y kinda room you visit early in Uncharted 3 when you're in that French mansion/castle in the forest? Maybe even similar enough to be an easter egg?

pottuvoi

Banned
Finally finished the main story. It was so exhausting but the game is incredibly satisfying. I thought at some point we would meet
ish
but I enjoyed reading his letters.

End Spoiler:
the only thing I didn't like was killing the doctor with the knife. I get that Joel is far from an angel but it made me, the player, feel guilty despite massacring others. Oddly conflicting.
Indeed.
I'm sure that it was intended to feel bad, just like the scene in MGS3..

I really hope that the games will evolve in future in such a way that they can create such moments within a free world and have a heavy meaning..

Finally got around to beating this game.

I didn't like the ending. I would have just let Ellie stay in the operating room and let the doctors find the vaccine...

I didn't want to shoot the doctors in the operating room, but did so only to progress the game.

Oh well, on to the DLC.

Vintage

Hi,
Is it worth watching this game? I mean watching a compilation of cutscenes/gameplay on Youtube, like this? Or is gameplay a key aspect of this game? I've heard great things about this game, story especially, but I don't have a PS3/PS4 and not planning to get it in foreseeable future.

Hubb

Hi,
Is it worth watching this game? I mean watching a compilation of cutscenes/gameplay on Youtube, like this? Or is gameplay a key aspect of this game? I've heard great things about this game, story especially, but I don't have a PS3/PS4 and not planning to get it in foreseeable future.

I enjoy the gameplay (both SP and MP), but you can get the gist of the game through watching it. The story pieces that aren't cutscenes wont be very fluid, same thing with any of the dialogue that comes up while exploring.

If it is the only way you can experience it go for it. You'll miss some of the tense parts from playing the game, but it is worth a shot.

Hi,

WAIT IT OUT

One of those games where gameplay plays 50% of the whole as to why people love this game. You don't want to miss out on that.

What is the piece that plays during the (left behind late game)
water gun fight
?

I extended that fight forever cuz I didn't want it to end, and Ellie's animations/vocal performance are priceless.

I wanted to single out one element that makes this sequence work, but I can't, its a combination of things. The nostalgic hue of the lighting(more apparent in the arcade/carousel segment admitingly), the juxtaposing track that gives one last water gun fight between friends a tragic undercurrent, Yaani King and Ashley Johnson's vocal/mo-cap performances combined with ND's fantastic hand-keyed facial expressions, or just the way it uses its often visceral and brutal stealth action mechanics to serve a melancholic and tender encounter between two people who really care for each other.

I finally finished the game. Bought it the day it came out on PS4 but never got around to finishing it.

Wow, what an ending. Incredible.

I think the ending was some brilliant writing/directing by Naughty Dog. Too many games these days have these sort of conflicting characters, who act like angels and likeable people in cutscenes, but the gameplay has them massacring hundreds of people. Case in point, Uncharted, ironically. You're supposed to like Nathan Drake for being a loveable rogue but he kills hundreds of people through the course of the game.

With Joel, if you don't feel disgusted or at the very least uncomfortable with what he does in the last hour, you may need to check your moral compass lol. But that's perfect. His character remains consistent exactly with the character WE played as, the guy who brutally murders/tortures/maims so many people in his mission.

Amazing decision by ND at the end, not giving us a choice. Wow. I'm still reeling.

DonMigs85

Question, does the Survivor+ trick work even with the latest patches installed? When I go to chapter select is it supposed to say beaten on Survivor or Survivor+?

Pilgrimzero

Finally got around to beating this game.

I didn't like the ending. I would have just let Ellie stay in the operating room and let the doctors find the vaccine...

I didn't want to shoot the doctors in the operating room, but did so only to progress the game.

Oh well, on to the DLC.

Did you watch the cutscenes etc. in the game? I mean, pay attention to the story and character development?

Joel could no more do that than any parent. That was his "daughter", and he'd do anything to protect her.
. Especially since
the cure wasn't guaranteed

Chinner

Banned
i have a question, based in the first quarter of the game so i'll put it in spoiler.

does anyone know
whats happens if you fight the guards and go back to tess' body? never bothered to attempt it, does it let you go back and if so does anything happen?

AKyemeni

i have a question, based in the first quarter of the game so i'll put it in spoiler.

does anyone know
whats happens if you fight the guards and go back to tess' body? never bothered to attempt it, does it let you go back and if so does anything happen?
Well, you go through a door after the cutscene, so you can't go back since it's one of those cutscene doors.

You can shoot the guards from the second floor though.

This game is amazing, but I absolutely hate how it looks at 60fps. I played it for about an hour that way until I couldn't stand it anymore and switched it to 30fps lock.

It's weird because I'm fine with 60fps in first person shooters or racing games, but not this. Somehow this just feels way too artificial at 60fps.

Everyone can make sarcastic jokes about the "cinematic" thing, but for me, in this game, it's a reality.

AKyemeni

This game is amazing, but I absolutely hate how it looks at 60fps. I played it for about an hour that way until I couldn't stand it anymore and switched it to 30fps lock.

It's weird because I'm fine with 60fps in first person shooters or racing games, but not this. Somehow this just feels way too artificial at 60fps.

Everyone can make sarcastic jokes about the "cinematic" thing, but for me, in this game, it's a reality.
The game looks, feels, and plays infinitely better at 60FPS. I can never go back to 30 FPS.

And what do you mean by artificial?

danowat

Banned
Origanlly posted this in the wrong thread, so I'll post it in the right one!!!

Never played "The Last Of Us" on PS3, got a PS4 yesterday, and played through the prologue this morning........

Wow,totally blown away, is it this good throughout?

RedAssedApe

Banned

Never played "The Last Of Us" on PS3, got a PS4 yesterday, and played through the prologue this morning........

yup. my game of the year two years in a row lol

Chinner

Banned

It's a brilliant game, and there's never a dip in quality. Also, I know you posted in the wrong thread originally but once you've completed the campaign mode, you should definitely check out the multiplayer.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Would love to play with someone who isn't fuckin garbage.

Missed out on the original last gen but I picked up a PS4 over the weekend and I just started my first play through last night. Started on Hard difficulty and it's living up to it's name. Other than breaking line of sight and hiding, anyone have any tips for combat? Or just general gameplay?

Louis010

Banned
I got this on the psn sale,coming to ps4 from x360 I never got to play this originally. And I just don't get it, did any one else have this problem and does it get better with time? Because so far it's shaping up to be the biggest dissapointment since gtaIV for me.

I really really want to like this game, I thought the intro was amazing, I love every second of it, I honestly wouldn't of minded a full game based on that, I liked the three characters a lot even though it was only half hour spent with them.

After that I feel like it's all gone downhill rapidly, the controls are atrocious, the stealth feels forced and I've lost all interest in the story.

The gameplay seems to consist of the following , walk around for half hour carrying boards and ladders around with maybe a quick time event, until you come to a slightly more open area with lots of conveniently placed waist high objects which look and feel completely out of place compared to the setting. Then throw some bottles around and strangle some cops and not zombies until they are all gone before carrying on. You can try shooting if you like but be prepared for some of the worst shooting in a 3rd person action game and you will just get jumped by a clicker anyway.

Then repeat the cycle.

I hate the three characters around at the moment (Joel, Ellie, and the stereotypical white woman who's name I can't remember.) I did like the firefly woman though, she seemed more human than any of the rest. I'm not finding the story interesting anymore, kind of lost it when Joel had turned into a pretty criminal banging a hooker or whatever was going on there.

Sorry to have just slammed a lot of people's favourite game and I'm really hoping it improves massively or I can't see me putting more than another 4/5 hours into this. I'm at the part where it's your first big encounter with 5/6 runners and a clicker in the collapsing building by the way, I tried it 2/3 times and kept dying, every time feeling like I was fighting against the controls more than the enemy's.

I'll end on a positive. I loved the into/prologue, it was one of my favourites in a long time, I loved the relationship of the 3 characters and all the chaos happening around them. I just wish for more of this later in the game to make me want to keep playing to find out what happens next.

AKyemeni

I got this on the psn sale,coming to ps4 from x360 I never got to play this originally. And I just don't get it, did any one else have this problem and does it get better with time? Because so far it's shaping up to be the biggest dissapointment since gtaIV for me.

I really really want to like this game, I thought the intro was amazing, I love every second of it, I honestly wouldn't of minded a full game based on that, I liked the three characters a lot even though it was only half hour spent with them.

After that I feel like it's all gone downhill rapidly, the controls are atrocious, the stealth feels forced and I've lost all interest in the story.

The gameplay seems to consist of the following , walk around for half hour carrying boards and ladders around with maybe a quick time event, until you come to a slightly more open area with lots of conveniently placed waist high objects which look and feel completely out of place compared to the setting. Then throw some bottles around and strangle some cops and not zombies until they are all gone before carrying on. You can try shooting if you like but be prepared for some of the worst shooting in a 3rd person action game and you will just get jumped by a clicker anyway.

Then repeat the cycle.

I hate the three characters around at the moment (Joel, Ellie, and the stereotypical white woman who's name I can't remember.) I did like the firefly woman though, she seemed more human than any of the rest. I'm not finding the story interesting anymore, kind of lost it when Joel had turned into a pretty criminal banging a hooker or whatever was going on there.

Sorry to have just slammed a lot of people's favourite game and I'm really hoping it improves massively or I can't see me putting more than another 4/5 hours into this. I'm at the part where it's your first big encounter with 5/6 runners and a clicker in the collapsing building by the way, I tried it 2/3 times and kept dying, every time feeling like I was fighting against the controls more than the enemy's.

I'll end on a positive. I loved the into/prologue, it was one of my favourites in a long time, I loved the relationship of the 3 characters and all the chaos happening around them.
I thought the game has some of the best controls. But hey, I don't like Vanquish.

Oh, the game starts slow but picks up. I suggest to keep chugging on.

And when you finish the story, try the multiplayer.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Missed out on the original last gen but I picked up a PS4 over the weekend and I just started my first play through last night. Started on Hard difficulty and it's living up to it's name. Other than breaking line of sight and hiding, anyone have any tips for combat? Or just general gameplay?
My number one tip is to avoid combat at all costs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Brick/bottle stun into a running melee attack... will make your weapons last longer and is a OHK usually.

Also looks awesome.

cjp

Has anyone experienced an issue with "ghosting" when you pan the camera? I searched Google and found a couple of threads but none of them gave a fix.

I don't have the problem in any other game.

DonMigs85

Has anyone experienced an issue with "ghosting" when you pan the camera? I searched Google and found a couple of threads but none of them gave a fix.

I don't have the problem in any other game.
Yeah I have it. Not sure if it's my TV or a rendering quirk

cjp

Yeah I have it. Not sure if it's my TV or a rendering quirk

I went through every image setting on my PS4 and TV and the only thing that fixed it was upping the TV brightness level by 10.

Of course, now everything's a bit washed out. I guess I'll just have to keep changing the brightness levels every time I play it. Weird.

Top Bottom