• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT|

Snoopycat

Banned
There could be a thread for every genre within metal but it's probably best just to have one. So why not post stuff from your favourite metal bands, whether it's Winger or Mayhem. Dio or Behemoth.

For me metal begins and ends with Slayer. My uncle is a big metal fan and he used to play stuff when he come round. I thought some of it was ok but nothing really clicked until one day he put Slayer on and it all made sense.

Motorhead was the first metal concert I went to when I was a kid and they've been a constant part of my record collection since. No Remorse, Orgasmatron, Ace Of Spades. You can't go wrong with them.

Steel Panther proper take the piss, but how can you not like a band who sing about glory holes and fat chicks?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I got into metal back in the late 90s as a teenager because of these two bands:

Slipknot

Soulfly

While my tastes have expanded dramatically, I still listen to both of them regularly. Saw them both (separately) in concert in 2016.

Last edited:

Airola

Seeing as the first video is Slayer, let's go with the ultimate subgenre of metal, thrash! As an added twist, it's the best of Christian versions of thrash metal.

Here's Deliverance with Prophet of Idiocy (1991):

Here are a couple songs from Deliverance's latest album The Subversive Kind (2018):

Next one is Living Sacrifice with Violence (1991):

And as this is gaming forum it's appropriate to have Believer with Sanity Obscure (1990) here.
Why? Well, one of the music tracks in the original DOOM is said to be inspired by this song:

Here's a comparison video to point it out:

DiscoJer

I've started listening to a lot of NWOBHM

Diamond Head - Am I Evil?

Tokyo Blade - Sunrise in Tokyo

Angel Witch - Devil's Tower

Tranzzam - End of the Day

Wikkyd Vikker - Black of the Night

Last edited:

Bodom78

I don't think I've heard Arise but I've been rebuilding my cd collection and bought Beneath the remains a few weeks back. It still sounds great.

If you get a chance then give it a listen, amazing album start to end and a worthy addition to any collection.

Airola

Hey, cool you put Cross Examination here!
I have that album on my cd collection. I'm not that much into crossover thrash or modern thrash bands in general (I love thrash but haven't been able to get into the retro thrash revival almost at all) but I love Cross Examination. Dan's vocals is the hook for me with this band. Too bad he has changed his vocals into something more safe for his vocal cords. I mean, good for him, but sadly that change takes quite a bit of the feeling out of the songs.

Here's another great one from them:

And another:

Airola

Hey Snoopycat Snoopycat , have you heard of Cyclone Temple or Znöwhite? Greg Fulton (also known as Ian Tafoya) formed both bands and is the guitarist and main songwriter in them. Thought you might be interested in the band representationwise as Fulton is a fellow black man and, in my opinion, one of the best songwriters and guitar players I know. Dude has some serious riffing skills!
Even though the debut album of Cyclone Temple (I Hate Therefore I Am) came in 1991 and I've been a huge thrash fanatic for the past 23 years or so I hadn't heard of this band until about 5 years ago. The album instantly became one of my all time favorite thrash albums.

Here's the opening track. It's about a school shooter.

Here's an official music video from another song on that album:
(the song on the album is longer and a bit better - the music video version has been cut a bit)

Fulton's former band before Cyclone Temple was Znöwhite (1982-1989) - a thrash band with female vocals.
It's another forgotten classic thrash band.
Here the opening track of their last album released in 1988:

brap

Banned
Hey, cool you put Cross Examination here!
I have that album on my cd collection. I'm not that much into crossover thrash or modern thrash bands in general (I love thrash but haven't been able to get into the retro thrash revival almost at all) but I love Cross Examination. Dan's vocals is the hook for me with this band. Too bad he has changed his vocals into something more safe for his vocal cords. I mean, good for him, but sadly that change takes quite a bit of the feeling out of the songs.

Here's another great one from them:

And another:

I'm not really a fan of thrash at all but I LOVED his angry Spongebob vocals lol. Their new stuff is pretty decent too even though he sounds different.

Snoopycat

Banned
Hey Snoopycat Snoopycat , have you heard of Cyclone Temple or Znöwhite? Greg Fulton (also known as Ian Tafoya) formed both bands and is the guitarist and main songwriter in them. Thought you might be interested in the band representationwise as Fulton is a fellow black man and, in my opinion, one of the best songwriters and guitar players I know. Dude has some serious riffing skills!
Even though the debut album of Cyclone Temple (I Hate Therefore I Am) came in 1991 and I've been a huge thrash fanatic for the past 23 years or so I hadn't heard of this band until about 5 years ago. The album instantly became one of my all time favorite thrash albums.

Cheers. There's never been a lot of black guys in the metal scene. There's plenty of fans but not actual bands. I always wondered why that was until I watched a documentary a few years back about the birth of rap. Kool Herc was interviewed and he said that when he was a kid the guys he knew couldn't afford the instruments needed to start a band and rap was born out of that. Makes sense.

That's the remaster with new vocals.

The original version is way better:

meh don't really se how its "way better" the remaster sounds a lot more clean to me. But I understand why someone who was first exposed to the original would like it more. Megadeth is still Megadeth

Airola

meh don't really se how its "way better" the remaster sounds a lot more clean to me. But I understand why someone who was first exposed to the original would like it more. Megadeth is still Megadeth

It sounds too clean to me and less aggressive, plus the snare drum sound is worse than in the original. In any case, you are absolutely correct that Megadeth is still Megadeth and the song is still up there as one of the greats even if it's the remaster. Megadeth is my second favorite metal band after Tourniquet.

What comes to the remasters I'm one of those elitist assholes who even thinks the new Killing Is My Business remaster is worse than the original release, so what do I know :D

Duellist

It sounds too clean to me and less aggressive, plus the snare drum sound is worse than in the original. In any case, you are absolutely correct that Megadeth is still Megadeth and the song is still up there as one of the greats even if it's the remaster. Megadeth is my second favorite metal band after Tourniquet.

What comes to the remasters I'm one of those elitist assholes who even thinks the new Killing Is My Business remaster is worse than the original release, so what do I know :D
I agree, love this album to deth bought it when it first came out and is probably in my top 3 metal albums of all time. Cant vouch for the remasters though. Horrible in my opinion.

Last edited:

Duellist

Also for all you who mentioned Steel Panther. Going to see them tonight! First time. Brought my Fight war of words Inlay in Hope's of running into Russ Parrish(satchel). Be killer if he would sign it.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Who is fancied for some otherworldly acts? I have a huge ass list if anyone wants to. :)

Viliger

I like a wide range, from my personal favorite SID-metal, Machinae Supremacy (shame what happened with them after Rise Of A Digital Nation, while Phantom Shadow was great, Into The Night World was mostly trash aside from finally finishing March of the Undead, but I guess not a lot of people can deliver the same quality of both music and lyrics for almost 20 years).

I like melodic death metal, the kind that Disarmonia Mundi and Soilwork do. Once again, shame that vocalist of DM left and instead we have Speed, who is almost everywhere in this genre.

Symphonic metal is also something that I thought I liked but nothing ever came close to Nightwish when Tarja was there. After that it all went downhill.

Some goofy power metal with the likes of Grailknights and Dream Evil is fun, even tho Grailknights go way to far sometimes and just become a joke. That's generally the problem of some power metal bands, they just go on and on how awesome the metal is and how they are the warriors of metal. I like high fantasy tones in heavy/power metal, but sometimes it just comes off as insecurity over other genres.

Oh, and Dethklok. Because they are hilarious.

Duellist

My favorite power metal release of the past probably 10 years. If you have not heard or seen this video watch it. If your at all interested in power metal check out unleash the archers album called Apex. Great Canadian power metal.

Top Bottom